Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Gale leaving Katniss

Comments (showing 1-50 of 71) (71 new)    post a comment »

BookWorm He was there the day of the bombing so he probably didn't want to go back because of all the bad memories. Plus why didn't Katniss go after him?

Kirby I thought that katniss said that she thought that gale knew that it would make it harder on katniss to have him around, always reminding her of prim...

plus, as book worm said, it would have been really hard on him to stay, too.

Allie Gale loved Katniss but then had to watch her constantly kiss Peeta. I wouldn't have gone after him either because he would have reminded me of Prim.

Seaspray13 I was really sad when Gale kind of just disappeared from Katniss's life. He really did just disappear, but I think she was right to do that. That Peeta was calmer and he was the water that would cool Katniss's fire, while you can never fight fire (Gale's) with fire (Katniss's).

Abii Curtis Gale, needed to live his life.... Katniss would never be able to look at him the same way, and Gale knew that. He loved her enough too do what was best for her. Katniss needed to be away from him :/

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ I was sad Gale left, but it makes a lot of sense.
He would feel really bad to be near Katniss when she's with Peeta, or when she's talking about Prim- like ouch that's gotta hurt. I think he knew it woukd be better for both of them if he left. In that way, he was strong and smart enough to leave.

Ascel kadhem I think it is good that he left the whiny b***h. She was playing with him and with Peeta. She broke his heart.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Ascel wrote: "I think it is good that he left the whiny b***h. She was playing with him and with Peeta. She broke his heart."

lol quite true

Rebekah H. After the way she made it so clear that their earlier friendship was negated by what Gale "might" have done? Most people would have left her sooner-the way she was playing him. He did the right thing, showing much stronger character than most of them (excepting Annie-who, even crazy, makes everyone look bad with her resilience).

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Yes, that makes him SO stupid.
He didn't leave for the rights reasons and he totally didn't have the right to leave.
He should have stayed there and been a constant reminder of Prims death. Katniss would have wanted that.
(i hope you all picked up on my sarcasm).
Are we reading a different book or something?

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Hahaha love the sarcasam

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "I was sad Gale left, but it makes a lot of sense.
He would feel really bad to be near Katniss when she's with Peeta, or when she's talking about Prim- like ouch that's gotta hurt. I think he knew i..."

At least he could say good bye, or kissed her........... *sniffle already* His last words were shoot straight! I was SO sad Gale left!

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Haha thank you :)

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Josie Ona, Gale's #1 crazed fangirl wrote: "Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "I was sad Gale left, but it makes a lot of sense.
He would feel really bad to be near Katniss when she's with Peeta, or when she's talking about Prim- like ouch..."

SOOOOOOO SADDDDDDD

Peeves Before movie: Gale sucks for being a dick and leaving Katniss like that! that is such a stupid move on his part!

After movie: Oh god he is so hot. He so made the right decision to leave Katniss, he sure deserves better ladies in district 2!

Courtney Perhaps it was just me but I was slightly annoyed that Katniss ended up with Petta. She was very self centered throughout most of the book unless she was worried about Prim. I really wish Petta and Gale would have been able to both go off on their own and Katniss would have to deal with the repercussions of basically playing both of them. But then again she is a 16 year old female and they never know what they want. So I guess I am conflicted.

I was a little surprised to find out that Gale left for district 2 but it did make the most sense considering everything that happened. (not to mention the fact that he was a total babe in my imagination).

Diane I never really got the impression that Katniss was "playing" with Peeta or Gale.
She loved them both. And she didn't really pick which one she wanted to be with more because at that time (or like any time really), romance was not a high priority for her. I doubt that she ever seriously considered that she was going to pursue a romantic relationship with anyone.

Courtney You are correct. Playing was not exactly the best word for what was going on. She used Petta in the first book for supplies, food, and to stay alive. In a situation such as hers could you really blame her? Unfortunately my opinion is still not completely formed on this topic. Which is why I have two completely different arguments.(This was how I felt after reading the first book)

She is 16, she is in charge of hunting to feed her family, and her main goal is their safety. You are correct in saying romance was not a high priority for her. If I member correctly she did state that in the book?

It the end of the first book I slightly hostile towards Katniss because of Petta and his devotion to her. Haymitch says it best, “You know, you could live a thousand lifetimes and not deserve him”. By the end of the trillogy I was convinced that Gale was not the right guy for her and Petta was everything she needed. They both need each other. In the end there is no other way for them not to be together. I am happy they are together now that I have finished all the books.

message 20: by C.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.D. Hussey I've noticed a common theme among these threads (and Twilight ones for that matter). If a man is devoted to a woman, but she isn't sure she loves him back, why is she always a selfish b*tch? Is this an age thing? Stalkers can be completely devoted to their victims, too, you know.

Just because one person is madly in love with the other doesn't mean the object of their affection is obligated to love them back. No one can help how they feel. Being confused doesn't make someone a b*tch. Stringing them along because you get a kick out of watching them pine for you does. None of that happened in these books.

I realize Katniss played Peeta a little during the first Hunger Games, but the setting wasn't a high school hallway. I think she's completely forgivable for it. Her intentions were never malicious. Trying to ensure Peeta's survival even if he had to do it with a broken heart is still admirable. A broken heart is curable. Death is not.

Also, why is it Gale's job to stay with Katniss, to continually chase after her? He had to do what was best for himself in the end.

Andrea Mika fine with me I hate Gale anyways HA-HA

Nicole I was so sad when I read that Gale left Katniss.. I understand, they've been through a lot but he was in the first book, in the first chapter, on the first place.. (after Prim of course).And they were so good friends and....
I definitely think that if he hadn't left the end of the books wouldn't be that hard for me to read..

Mersedes I'm kind of glad that he left honestly. In a way because he needed a life too you know? He couldn't just hang around Katniss anymore. Besides it isn't like it ever would have worked out between them. They both changed a lot. Sure they love each other but I don't think Katniss was in love him. He was hell bent on revenge against the Capitol. He wanted them to feel what he felt and I get that. But it's stupid how he was annoyed that Katniss made a scene about her stylists being treated badly. No matter where you grew up Gale they are HUMANS. I just ahhh I hated him for that and I think Peeta was the best thing in the world to happen to her. He was more compassionate.

Julie I would like to offer a different interpretation of Gale's departure to District Two. I think he did it because he loves her. I think he knew that being around would be painful for Katniss, and with him there she would never be able to fully embrace her love for Peeta. (Now, whether she loves Peeta or not is a different matter and one open to debate). But, Gale clearing out gave her and Peeta time and space to figure out their relationship. With Gale there Katniss would always have been torn between the two. And so, I think he did one last selfless thing for her.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Julie wrote: "I would like to offer a different interpretation of Gale's departure to District Two. I think he did it because he loves her. I think he knew that being around would be painful for Katniss, and w..."

YESSSSSSSSSSS
That's what I try to say, but it never comes out rightttttt

message 26: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I am sooo glad Gale left! That's all I have to say :)

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.
People obviously don't understand this book as well as they think they do, or the characters. Especially Gale.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.
People obviously don't understand this book as well as they think they do, or the characters. Especially Gale."

YES

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.
People obviously don't understand this book as well as they think they do, or the characters. Especially Gale."

YES"

Haha it annoys me so much.
Why is so hard to see how amazing Gale is?
Everyone thinks he is heartless and selfish. Which is totally wrong lol.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Peeta-Ck wrote: "I think Gale is sooooooo stupid. I mean he LEFT Katniss alone to go to district 2. That is not what best friends do!!"

I KNO!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats the only time I was mad at gale. HE IS NOT HEARTLESS OR SELFISH!!!!!!

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.
People obviously don't understand this book as well as they think they do, or the chara..."

Yes! How is it heartless or selfish to do the right thing????

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.
People obviously don't understand this book as well as the..."

Haha I know right!
People just love to hate him and portray him as some asshole or something. Which is stupid.
I don't think they can fully grasp the closeness of Katniss's and Gale's relationship. They know each other better than anyone else.
If we reverse the roles and if it were Katniss's bomb that MIGHT have killed Gale's sister I'm sure Katniss would have left.
The way people like you and I see it is Gale loved her enough to let her go. I think you and I have a different idea of heartless than others here :)

Cherryl I personally think that leaving was the one last selfless act that Gale did for Katniss. He loved her enough to let her go because he knew that she will never be able to see him and not wonder if his bombs killed Prim. That will always be the wedge between them.

Ai Haibara Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.
People obviously don't understand this book as well as the..."

I think one of the main reasons why people hate Gale is because his bomb killed Prim. But that wasn't really his fault!

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Ai Haibara wrote: "Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.
People obviously don..."

Yeah agreed. But some people hated him before that.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

DON'T YOU SEE BY HATING HIM YOU'VE JUST BECOME WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO SHOW. I BET YOU THINK THAT HE'S EVIL AND SELFISH, RIGHT? BUT NOW YOU'RE BEING MEAN, AND RATHER SELFISH BY SAYING YOU HATE HIM!!!!!!

Kirby Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.

well, that's sort of an insulting thing to say...I don't really hate gale, but I found it hard to like him after he revealed just how ruthless he could be and that he would stop at nothing to achieve his goals.

this in no way means that I didn't understand the book- it means that I didn't forgive him for something that you apparently did. and that's fine...I'm not gonna say that you seem to have misunderstood the book just b/c you have a different opinion... :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Kirby wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.

well, that'..."

Ditto. :D

message 40: by Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) (last edited Mar 27, 2012 08:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Kirby wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.

well, that'..."

Why are you taking my comment to heart as if it were directed at you?
In no way did i do that. I don't even know what your opinion of Gale is. Until now.
If you're insulted, fine. There is no need for you to feel insulted.

When i'm talking about people hating on Gale i mean the one's who go out of their way to call him petty names like "selfish" "heartless" and "a jerk".
When i say people don't understand the book the way they think they do i'm talking about them.

Or when people say he's "selfish or stupid" for leaving Katniss at the end.

And of course he becomes ruthless. I don't see why people are so shocked by that. He's a natural born rebel, leader and soldier. He's had to fight for his survival. These conditions that he faces does crazy things to people and if he were the sweet loving guy like Peeta he most likely wouldn't have been able to survive. I couldn't dislike Gale even if i tried, i completely understand the way he is. I know what war and poverty does to people. I know people see this as him being heartless but whatever. It's just him.
He fights for what he believes in and he'll fight until the end.
And the Prim thing? oh god please don't get me started on that incident.

Well that's just how I see it.
I'm honest and i'm going to say how i feel about certain things.

And i'm not saying people have misunderstood the book because we have different opinions. I'm saying it because a lot people seem to forget what this books about.
I'm only directing this comment at people who do the things i mentioned. Not every person who doesn't like Gale.

Kaitlin She didn't want Gale around...I dont think it would have been good for either of them. I was actually so mad at Katniss...everyone keeps saying Gale killed Prim...he didn't. Yes he helped make the bomb but he didn't drop it..if i remember correctly he didn't even know it was going to be dropped then.
Anyway...I wanted him to stay or Katniss to go after him! :*(

message 43: by esthermarie (last edited Mar 28, 2012 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

esthermarie Yeah, I think everyone's got some pretty good points here, its actually really interesting reading all your guyses opinions! Kaitlin, know exactly what your talking about! same with you Amanda(Gales Wife)!

Please people don't hate Gale! or Katniss! Or Peeta! No one is perfect, and just look at the situations they were placed in! Honestly, I don't think I could've held up that well.

yeah...so that was kinda off topic. sorry:D

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter esthermarie wrote: "Yeah, I think everyone's got some pretty good points here, its actually really interesting reading all your guyses opinions! Kaitlin, know exactly what your talking about! same with you Amanda(Gale..."

thank you :)

Monica Gale should've stayed! I guess he had a ton of reasons to leave, but I'm one of those optomists who love happy endings... so unrealistic, though :(
He left Katniss, his best friend and hunting partner. His last words to her were, "shoot straight."
....Hey! Did anyone else realize that Peeta told this to Katniss in the first book? I think it was when Katniss was about to leave to get rated. Interesting...

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "Kirby wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.
People obviously don't understand this book as well as they think they do, or the characters. Especially Gale...."

OF COURSE!!!!!!!! Just because u like peeta more doesnt mean u have 2 diss gale!

Amanda (Gale's Chosen One) Potter Josie Ona, Gale's #1 crazed fangirl wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "Kirby wrote: "Amanda (Gale's Wife) wrote: "The amount of hate Gale gets is ridiculous.
People obviously don't understand this book as well as they think they do, or the..."

Haha I know aye. It's so immature.
I just went on this thread that said "The Hunger Games. Gale or Peeta" or something like that and because I said Gale some Peeta fan voted me down. I was like what the hell, aren't I allowed to like Gale?
So annoying!

message 48: by Kel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kel Pfeiffer PeetaCKlovesbread wrote: "I think Gale is sooooooo stupid. I mean he LEFT Katniss alone to go to district 2. That is not what best friends do!!"

Like Gale said in the books, he knew that every time she saw him, she'd be reminded that it was HIS bomb that killed her little sister, it meant she would forever be hurt whenever she looked at him.
He made a selfless decision to leave so as not to have her hurting at the sight of him. I'd say he did the right 'best friend' thing, he left so as not to hurt her any more & he was useful & could do what he wanted to be doing in district 2.
Plus he knew she couldn't leave Peeta & he obviously didn't wanna be around for the stuff between them. She also showed in another part of the story that the only time she kissed him was when he was in pain, which wasn't enough for him :(
I don't get what's so hard to understand there :)

Natalie Book Worm wrote: "He was there the day of the bombing so he probably didn't want to go back because of all the bad memories. Plus why didn't Katniss go after him?"
She didn't go after him because there was a chance that he killed Prim. I don't care who my best friend was, but if there was even a chance that they killed my sister, I wouldn't care what happened to them. Since Katniss is telling the story, we don't find out what really happens with Gale because she doesn't care anymore.

Corine I was heartbroken when Gale left originally because Katniss losing her sister and best friend... man that's rough. I thought Katniss would end up with Peeta but I also assumed that Gale would still be a part of her life afterall they were BEST friends. But the more I thought about it the more I think that what he did was the right thing even if he did leave in Katniss's time of need. Gale was not a bad guy he may have been hell bent on revenge against the Capitol but after what he had been put through who could blame him? I loved Gale but he and Katniss just wouldn't have fit together because they are so much alike and like she says she didn't need Gale's fire she has plenty of her own. She needed Peeta's dandelion in the Spring. I just wish I would've known what happened to Gale and got a little closure to him because he just left. end of story. I just wish I knew if he ever found happiness. I was torn between Gale and Peeta through most of the book.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Mockingjay (other topics)