Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
This topic is about The Thief
Authors; Q - T > Turner, Megan Whalen - The Thief - Start Date April 2nd

Comments (showing 1-50 of 98) (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, The Wheel Master (last edited Sep 13, 2012 04:52PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 10005 comments description
This topic is open for discussion of The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. Be prepared for spoilers!

Book Description
"I can steal anything."
After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task - to steal a hidden treasure from another land.
To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

Reading schedule
>Date         Chapters         Pages       PPQCs
April 2nd 1 - 3 1 - 59 Sashana
April 3rd 4 - 6 60 - 121 Lisarenee
April 4th 7 - 8 122 - 168 Lisarenee
April 5th 9 - 10 169 - 218 Sashana
April 6th 11 - 12 219 - 280 Sashana

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, The Wheel Master (last edited Apr 07, 2012 01:24PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 10005 comments Discussion Questions

Chapters 1 - 3
1. I did not expect the king to be the one hiding behind the curtains. What did you think of that scene and what was your first impression of the king?
2. With the exception of Gen, who do you think is the most interesting character we've been introduced to so far. Why?
3. " I remembered that I had been brought along as a useful sort of tool and not a human being at all."
Do you think it's wise to mistreat Gen when they need him for a favor? Will this ill-treatment lead to Gen rebelling or will it discipline him?
4. Any ideas/theories on why Useless and Elder Sophos and Ambiades were brought along?

Chapters 4 - 6
5. What is your first impression so far of Gen? Is he truly a thief or a fool?
6. One of the things I love about this book are the folktales/myths/legends(?) that are included. Which was your favorite? I'm pretty sure Ms. Turner created these herself.
7. So I believe the cover must be sporting the "prize" everyone's after--Hamiathes' gift, if it exists.
8. So the real "prize" isn't for the stone but for the Queen of Eddis's hand in marriage? Does he just want the Kingdom that comes with it or is it the Queen?
9. Do you think there is something significant in the stories that were told that relates to the story we're reading? If so any ideas what it could be? Do you think they were they just added to give us a better idea of the world the author created?

Chapters 7 - 8
10. Gen sounds like he knows how to sword fight and he's intelligent. Sounds like Magus is underestimating him. He stated in chapter 7 (I believe) If he wanted to he could get away.
11. What's up with Ambiades? He seems like he really doesn't like Gen. He seems to always want to pick a fight with him or hurt him.
12. Do you think Gen stole the food? The way Ambiades acts I wouldn't be surprised if he ate it.
13. We learn a little more about Sophos and Pol. Sophos' father must be pretty wealthy because Pol is his captain of the guard. I didn't realize nobles would have guards.
14. They finally made their final destination. Gen seems pretty good with puzzles and locks. What did you think of the cavern? Any idea where everything is?
15. Gens says the inside looked a little like what he dreamed. In literature dreams tend to have meaning. Do you think what he dreamed has a direct link to the chamber or do you think it was symbolic.
16. They said everyone who'd gone after Hamiathes' gift has died. How do you think a whole party of men could die? You'd think someone would be smart enough to stay outside while the others searched.

Chapters 9 - 10
17. We now know that the lady who appeared in Gen's dreams was Moira, the deity who "recorded men's fates." We also know that she made three marks next to Gen's name, list three fates that she could have possibly wrote for Gen.
18. Is it me, or is the magus being nicer to Gen now that they are at their destination? (edit: this was before finding the stone)
19. Any idea on how the stones in the maze keep moving around? Is the place booby trapped or do you think someone is trying to sabotage the mission?
20. I was not expecting to see the actual gods. What did you think of them? Why did they encouraged Gen to take the stone instead of stopping him from taking it from the great goddess?
21. Do you see any similarities between the gods in this book and the 12 Olympians (Zeus, Apollo, Aphrodite etc..)? If yes, in what ways?
22. "It is a great relief to my conscience that you are not drowned, Gen." He patted my shoulder awkwardly. "We are alive and you are alive...If we failed to retrieve Hamiathes's Gift, well, perhaps someone else found if first, or perhaps it was never there at all."
Do you think was a sincere statement from the magus? Would he have been as kind if Gen had revealed that he did not find the stone?
23. Poof! And just like that it's gone. I can't believe that the stone is gone after just being discovered. Do you think one of the Queen's Guards have it? Speaking of guards, isn't it coincidental how they were ambushed so soon after finding the stone that everyone else gave up looking for? Could the guards have been tipped off?And if so, by who? Or was this just a chance encounter?

Chapters 11 - 12
24. Were you surprised by Ambiades's betrayal? Did you suspect that he would betray them? If so, what were some of the signs throughout the book?
25. After Gen was stabbed Sophos and the magus feared that he was dead. Pol even went as far as to push Ambiades off the cliff. Are you surprised that they cared so much about Gen? At what point in the book did Gen go from being a "tool" to a member of the team?
26. Snap, crackle, and pop! Which did you find more surprising: the fact that Gen was working for the queen of Eddis or that he had Hamiathes's gift the whole time?
27. So much was revealed in the final chapters. What were the biggest OMG moments for you?
28. What are your final thoughts of Gen? I can't help but feel I don't know him at all.
29. Do you think the Queen of Eddis and Gen will develop a relationship in the sequel?
30. What was your overall thought of the book? Feel free to include your review links and star ratings.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments Oh, goodie! I have this on audiobook.

Sashana | 6358 comments :) have you already listened to it, LK, or will this be your first time?

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments This will be my first time. ☺ Looking forward to it, S.

Sashana | 6358 comments Even better. I'm looking forward to it too, I've been wanting to read it for a while now.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments So, you haven't read it before?

Sashana | 6358 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "So, you haven't read it before?"

Nope. It's new to me too.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments It should be fun. I've heard there are some nice surprises in this one.

Sashana | 6358 comments I might cheat and start early.

message 11: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1437 comments Is this going to be the first? *Please let it be*

message 12: by Sashana (last edited Mar 24, 2012 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sashana | 6358 comments Lol. I think it will be, Vi. Lisa has it marked for April 2nd but I'll confirm double check with her to make sure.

message 13: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1437 comments YES!! *Happy Dance* I've been wanting to read this book for sooooo long. (Don't ask me why I didn't start before ;))

Lisarenee | 8415 comments I read this one 3 years ago and loved it.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments Such a dilemma, I am number 3 on the wait list for this...but then I'd have to wait for it to be mailed and such. Or, I am going to be at the bookstore tomorrow anyway. Oh who am I kidding, I'll be buying it tomorrow lol.

message 16: by N. Sherman (new) - added it

N. Sherman | 2 comments I definitely want to try and read this.

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim | 297 comments I read it last December and liked it too.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1627 comments Was going to go to the library this weekend and get it. I forgot to go today and the library is closed tomorrow! Will have to go Monday and read fast so I can hopefully stay on track...

message 19: by willaful (new)

willaful Do we have a schedule? I'm about three chapters in...

Lisarenee | 8415 comments I'll have it up in a jiffy. I thought Sashana was gonna put it up and she thought I was. Oops! I think it is the first 3 chapters we're reading today, but I don't have my book this second, but I'm going to get it.

message 21: by Moderators of NBRC, The Wheel Master (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 10005 comments Reading schedule:

Date         Chapters         Pages       PPQCs
April 2nd 1 - 3 1 - 59
April 3rd 4 - 6 60 - 121
April 4th 7 - 8 122 - 168
April 5th 9 - 10 169 - 218
April 6th 11 - 12 219 - 280

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments Yay! I can read now without worrying about overreading. And I am so happy this one was the first one, I went to the bookstore to get all 3 for this month and this is the only one they had in stock. Whew! Had to order the other 2.

Sashana | 6358 comments willaful wrote: "Do we have a schedule? I'm about three chapters in..."

Perfect! Hold it right there :)

Sashana | 6358 comments Stefani wrote: "Yay! I can read now without worrying about overreading. And I am so happy this one was the first one, I went to the bookstore to get all 3 for this month and this is the only one they had in sto..."

I'm glad you were able to find it, Stefani. I think this is the oldest of the bunch so I'm surprised they had this in stock and not the others.

message 25: by willaful (new)

willaful Sashana wrote: "Stefani wrote: "I think this is the oldest of the bunch so I'm surprised they had this in stock and not the others."

Possibly because it won a Newbery honor. Or because it's the first in the series. Or both.

Sashana | 6358 comments willaful wrote: "Sashana wrote: "Possibly because it won a Newbery honor. Or because it's the fi..."

Point.

Sashana | 6358 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 3
1. I did not expect the king to be the one hiding behind the curtains. What did you think of that scene and what was your first impression of the king? 

2. With the exception of Gen, who do you think is the most interesting character we've been introduced to so far. Why? 

3. " I remembered that I had been brought along as a useful sort of tool and not a human being at all." 
Do you think it's wise to mistreat Gen when they need him for a favor? Will this ill-treatment lead to Gen rebelling or will it discipline him?

4. Any ideas/theories on why Useless and Elder  Sophos and Ambiades were brought along? 

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 3
I didn't either. I didn't know who it was going to be, but I didn't think it was going to be the king. I thought the scene was unique because the king was hiding behind the king. I liked the king immediately even though I am sure he is evil.

The king because of the whole curtain thing. It sounds like he may not be in the book very much though.

I think in the long run they are making a poor decision in treating him the way they are. I don't see Gen as the type of person to follow the king's every whim, especially not when he is answering to the Magus.

4. Any ideas/theories on why Useless and Elder Sophos and Ambiades were brought along?
Maybe they are going to help provide information about where they are going once they get there? I have no idea.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments Sorry, I've been ill. I'm up, but not 100%. I'll try and catch up.

Sashana | 6358 comments Answers for Chapters 1 – 3
He certainly knows how to make an entrance. He seems like more of a thug than a King, nothing regal about him at all.

I’m really looking forward to reading more about Pol. He’s very quiet and gruff but I think he might be a good ally for Gen. Useless the Elder and Useless the Younger are very interesting because I don’t know what their purpose is and its driving me crazy.

I think he’s going to defy them all and this is just adding fuel to the fire.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments Thanks, Sashana. Geez, I haven't read one book yet, and it is April 3rd!

message 33: by willaful (last edited Apr 03, 2012 02:40PM) (new)

willaful Questions for Chapters 1 - 3

1. I get the sense Gen and the king might have some history. My impression is that he's pretty brutal and a cruel monarch.

2. Most interesting character -- I'm curious to see what will happen with Sophos.

3. I can't see Gen being disciplined, not by anything. :-)

4. There's something going on with Sophos's back story that I suspect will become important. I think there may be a rivalry between them. (S&A)

message 34: by willaful (new)

willaful Having started chapter 4, I'm seeing another narrative use for A&S -- their lessons provide history without it seeming like infodumping.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments @Willaful-just remembered Sophos is meant to be a Duke some day. I bet that has something to do with the story. I am betting you are right.

message 36: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 03, 2012 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Answers to Questions for Chapters 1 - 3

They said the King hated him for some reason and that's why he was shackled 24/7. Did they say why? I can't recall. I know the answer, but can't recall when they state why.

Magus. He's the one in charge of everyone.

I think he knows he can be put back in prison if he misbehaves so they don't see him as a threat. Plus he's weak from malnutrition.

I think Magus is training both of them.

message 37: by Jex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jex (Jexball) | 2297 comments I just got this book today and will be in Boston all weekend. I'll post my thoughts when I get back :-)

Sashana | 6358 comments Jex wrote: "I just got this book today and will be in Boston all weekend. I'll post my thoughts when I get back :-)"

Looking forward to it, Jex :)

message 39: by Zoe (new) - added it

Zoe | 50 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 3

When Gen mentions feet I thought for a second that it could be the king, but I dismissed the thought thinking that a king is too classy to hind behind curtains, apparently not this one. I don't like the king since he's taxing his people and bad stuff like that.

2. With the exception of Gen, who do you think is the most interesting character we've been introduced to so far. Why? Sophos, because he doesn't seem completely rude toward Gen compared to Ambiades and the other people.

I think that it isn't a good idea to mistreat Gen since they clearly need him, and he'd be pretty useless dead. For what I can gather from Gen, he doesn't look like the rebelling type. He seems all talk no action.

4. Any ideas/theories on why Useless and Elder Sophos and Ambiades were brought along? At some point they mention that the magus used to be able to preform magic. I'm guessing that's what happening and that Sophos and Ambiades can do magic.

Sashana | 6358 comments @Zoe

#4 - Great theory! That didn't even cross my mind.

message 41: by Stefani (last edited Apr 03, 2012 07:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments Questions for Chapters 1 - 3

I don't like him. He seems like a bully rather than a leader. And he seems something of a coward, to be hiding behind a curtain while your advisor roughs up a child who clearly has no ability in his current state to defend himself.

I am very intrigued by Pol. He seems to be gruff and no nonsense, but then takes the time to clean and tend to Gen's wounds...its interesting, I suspect there's more to the story.

I don't think its endearing him to them at all, and I think they will reap the consequences of their actions. But then Gen could be making it harder for them to treat him with disdain rather than making it easier by having an attitude about everything.

I like Zoe's theory about them being able to perform magic, that is very interesting. But I think maybe this is a test for them, to see who makes the better magus...a trial by fire if you will.

message 42: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 04, 2012 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Question for Chapters 4 - 6

5) What is your first impression so far of Gen? Is he truly a thief or a fool?

6) One of the things I love about this book are the folktales/myths/legends(?) that are included. Which was your favorite? I'm pretty sure Ms. Turner created these herself.

7) So I believe the cover must be sporting the "prize" everyone's after--Hamiathes' gift, if it exists.

8) So the real "prize" isn't for the stone but for the Queen of Eddis's hand in marriage? Does he just want the Kingdom that comes with it or is it the Queen?

9) Do you think there is something significant in the stories that were told that relates to the story we're reading? If so any ideas what it could be? Do you think they were they just added to give us a better idea of the world the author created?

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments Lisa Kay’s Answers to Sashana’s Questions for Chapters 1 – 3

Me either. Not quite a “don’t look behind that curtain” from The Wizard of Oz, but close. Hmmm…I haven’t decided about the king yet. I don’t trust anyone. I’m expecting a set-up of some kind.

2. With the exception of Gen, who do you think is the most interesting character we've been introduced to so far? Why?
I don’t know; Gen is pretty much holding my attention. Pol, I guess; he is the most compassionate and I have a thing for the strong silent type. Plus, anyone who would give me soap would have my attention. I kind of want to know what make The Magus tick.

3. "I remembered that I had been brought along as a useful sort of tool and not a human being at all." Do you think it's wise to mistreat Gen when they need him for a favor? Will this ill-treatment lead to Gen rebelling or will it discipline him?
Nope. Not too smart of The Magus et al. Doesn’t instill loyalty.

Not a clue.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments @ Laura

#1 – You’re probably right; he’s probably evil.

#2 – Hmmmm… maybe not.

#4 – Maybe.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments @ Sashana

#1 – Huh. You are right. Interesting.

#3 – LOL! Maybe.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments @ Willa

#1 – Yes, especially considering the shackles.

#3 – Me either.

#4 – Hmmm. Thanks, I’ll pay more attention to this.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments @ Lisarenee

#1 – I don’t think so, and I listened to the first chapter twice. But, maybe I missed something.

#3 – True, but he’ll get stronger and his memory will remain.

#4 – Ah!

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments @ Zoe

#1 – All of these comments are making me wonder if he is really royalty.

#3 – Very true! No good to them dead.

#4 – Oh, I like this theory.

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15322 comments @ Stefani

#1 – Did they say how old Gen is?

#2 – Yea, I’m intrigued by Pol too.

#3 – Ah! Another good theory.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 835 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "@ Stefani

#1 – Did they say how old Gen is?"

I don't think they've said exactly how old he is, but the way he speaks and acts suggests to me that he is around the age of Sophos and Ambiades. I remember he did say that one of them looks a bit older than Gen and one a bit younger. So that led me to think he's probably mid-teens.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Thief (other topics)
Graceling (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Megan Whalen Turner (other topics)