The Giver The Giver discussion

Should There Have Been a Series of Sequels Following This Book?

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic No. This book was beautiful and poetic enough to stand on its own. It doesn't need a series to support it.

Tess i said this in a different discussion post... I loved reading the Giver years ago in school, and again in the past few years. The ambiguous ending (sometimes I thought Jonas escaped, sometimes I thought he died) changed with each reading.
But, the series which Lowry continued to write was pretty good. Not as moving or thought provoking as The Giver, but still good. It definitely takes away any ambiguity, though.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmmm... I would like the idea of it just being on it's own, but I can't really say because I haven't read the other two.

message 4: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe xD it is a good series the second was very good and th ealst was still good I liked how t all tied togehter

message 5: by Jesse (new) - added it

Jesse No.

Laura There are two follow ups to The Giver (A wonderful book). The Messenger and Gathering Blue. Haven't read them. I like books that stand on their own like Fahrenheit 451.

Karen Nic wrote: "No. This book was beautiful and poetic enough to stand on its own. It doesn't need a series to support it."

Couldn't agree more. I enjoyed Gathering Blue, but it was nowhere near as thought-provoking as The Giver (one of my favorite books). And I didn't like The Messenger.

Tabby I haven't read the other two, and probably won't. I remember The Giver from school and the story has stayed with me ever since, though I only read it the one time. I don't think any sequel, series, or follow-up book could ever match this book in any way. I don't think it should have even been considered. No book that I have read since The Giver has made me think as much as it did. All the ''what-if's'' is what made it such a memorable story in my eyes...

message 9: by Erin (last edited Mar 28, 2012 05:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Nic wrote: "No. This book was beautiful and poetic enough to stand on its own. It doesn't need a series to support it."
I don't know about The Messenger but I think it was great for the book to have at least one sequel. I loved the character that Lowry chose as the main for Gathering Blue, which makes it one of my personal favorites. I'm now 22 and as a pre-teen through my young adulthood, I always struggled with the fact that I was different because I am disabled due to having Cerebral Palsy from birth. I took a literature class a year or so ago where we talked about needing to see ourselves in books. Gathering Blue was one of the first books I could see myself in because it was obvious that the main character was a disabled female. Even if she didn't have my disability, she was like me, and that was awesome, because I thought she was so cool and so brave and strong and I felt like I could be, too. So in that sense, I may be one of the few who can't agree less with you, Nic. I also think that the two books I read were both unique enough to stand on their own.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that they should tell if Jonas Died or sirvied in when Jonas left.

Samantha It would have been interesting to say the least, but this book was so wonderful that it stands well alone. I think one is just the right amount. Though it would have been interesting to see what happened next.

message 12: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin There are two books that take place after this one; Gathering Blue and The Messenger. Both are amazing. ♥

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Maizy wrote: "I think that they should tell if Jonas Died or sirvied in when Jonas left."
She had a reason for not telling though. Lowry was interviewed about both books after writing Gathering Blue and said she chose to leave the ending open for her readers. And there's something in Gathering Blue, that, depending on how you interpret it, could relate to the fate of Jonas.

Shelley I would have preferred The Giver alone.

Gathering Blue and Messenger were much weaker in my opinion.

Dhfan4life I didn't realize there were other books after this one. Since I read it so long ago in middle school. And not having read them I can't really say rather or not they would have been worthwhile to go along with the Giver or not. But if they have the same impactful message as the first then totally worthwhile. If not then, not worth it.

message 16: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Dhfan4life wrote: "I didn't realize there were other books after this one. Since I read it so long ago in middle school. And not having read them I can't really say rather or not they would have been worthwhile to go..."
I know Gathering Blue does. Can't say for The Messenger because I haven't read it.

message 17: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth You have to read The Messenger to understand the connection between The Giver and Gathering Blue.

Patrick This certainly didn't need a follow-up. I'm sure the story could have been taken further, but I thought it ended quite well.

message 19: by A.K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.K. Klemm I think The Giver stands on its own wonderfully. But if you are in the mood for a series of something similar and just as wonderful- you should check out the new author S. Smith and her series Seed Savers. I just finished Book One: Treasure and it was fabulous and kept reminding me how much I loved this genre as a kid. http://anakalianwhims.wordpress.com/2...

message 20: by Nina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nina In an interview, Lowery said if you were an optimist, Jonas lives, and a pessimist, he dies. So, in that way, I think it was a stand alone book. But in "The Messenger" Lowery finally tells us if she think Jonas lives or not.

Chin123 TOTALLY!

great book!

Margarita There is a trilogy. Its called Gathering blue and the messanger.

Chin123 Margarita wrote: "There is a trilogy. Its called Gathering blue and the messanger."

i read part of gathering blue, and it seemed kinda boring and confusing!

Galen Gulick I really liked Gathering Blue, the messenger was a bit murky of a read. I wish Lowry had expanded even more, I wish I knew about the catastrophe that happened. Though I understand too leaving it ambiguous.

message 25: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn Cooksey I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I honestly wasn't aware that there were sequels to The Giver...my girls and I will definitely have to check them out, because we enjoyed everything about it, however, we weren't all that satisfied with the ending.

Marisa I also did not realize that there was more. I'm afraid to read them though, scared that they won't hold a candle to the Giver. I read it back in 6th grade and twice more as an adult and its meaning for me has evolved. I don't know if I would want to ruin that!

Margarita I think Gabriel, the little boy or baby from the giver appears in either Gathering Blue or The Messager, so that tells the readers that him and that other boy didn't die:)

Melinda This books ending was not left open for a sequal, it was left open to make the reader think and consider what they believe will be the outcome. This is how most dystopic novels work. Especially when it comes to Lowry in general, she writes to make the reader think and to have the reader make there own interpretation of what might or might not happen. Read Bradbury as well, he does the same thing in his books.

message 29: by Nina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nina The don't hold a candle to the Giver, but I read the sequels because I had to know what happened to Jonas.

Hnmyers The Giver was followed up with Gathering Blue and The Messenger. They aren't necessarily sequels in the strictest set, but they have an intertwining set of characters and all are worth a good read.

Heidi It is part of a trilogy. I am waiting for book 2 from the library. It was a good read but I want to know what happens to Jonas and Gabe. This is why I am reading the next book.

Chrissy It was a good 10 years between reading The Giver and realizing she wrote sequels. Personally I would read this story to it's death. I will always hold The Giver as being the best in the set. But there is a FOURTH one coming out around October. And I will be first in line for it same as I was with The Messenger.

Heidi Chrissy wrote: "It was a good 10 years between reading The Giver and realizing she wrote sequels. Personally I would read this story to it's death. I will always hold The Giver as being the best in the set. But th..."

I had never even heard of it until my sister suggest I read it. She is also a book worm but likes a totally different genre than me. I am glad I read it though.

Margarita Have you guys read The Other Side of the island?That's a good read too and really leaves you guessing what the outcome will be:!

Robert I am no fan of The Giver by any means, so a whole series of them? Uggh!

Heidi Nina wrote: "The don't hold a candle to the Giver, but I read the sequels because I had to know what happened to Jonas."
I am 37 and that is why I am waiting for the second book from the library. I never read it in school. My sister suggested I read them. I didn't really care for the book until after Jonas started seeing the current Giver. It is hard for me to imagine living in a black and white world with no emotions, and everything picked out for you by a handful of people.

debbie a. It seemed to me that Gathering Blue and The Messenger were developed and written well after The Giver. They are certainly not as strong as The Giver and The Messenger seems to try too hard to tie them all together. I also don't really like the "magical" elements introduced in those books.

Awesome Klar i think the author should have made a sequel to the book because the ending just leaves you hanging

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Giver (other topics)