Gay Science Fiction discussion

Sci-fi Themes *Spoilers Likely* > hard/realistic scifi books

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 764 comments Mod
Our bookshelf only has eight books listed in the hard/realistic scifi category. I know that is a favorite of several people here, so I am hoping we can come up with some more suggestions. This category is defined (by us) as follows):

stories with classic sci-fi themes that obey the laws of physics and reality, as we know them. These stories should not only be possible but plausible, and the scientific realism should be important to the work. For example, fantastic creatures (elves, shifters, vampires, ghosts, zombies) would not go in this category, even if they are explained scientifically.

The books we have shelved thus so far are:

The Perils of Forgotten Pain Part 1 by Ravon Silvius Gravitational Attraction by Angel Martinez Mind Fuck (The Administration, #1) by Manna Francis Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #6) by Lois McMaster Bujold
Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany Chrome by George Nader Cyteen (Unionside, #2) by C.J. Cherryh Lost Star (Interstellar Service & Discipline, #3) by Morgan Hawke

message 2: by Oco (last edited Mar 24, 2012 04:29PM) (new)

Oco (Ocotillo) | 107 comments Well, if I can get my freaking ass in gear this summer, maybe I can add another of mine. ;)

Seriously, it'd be great if people come up with others, but I think the sparsity of this shelf in a big way reflects what is available. So, e.g., I'd say this demonstrates why I, for one, wanted these shelved separately. Because these are almost the only ones I'm interested in. See how easy it is for these to get lost in the shelves? Which, holy cow, I've only read four, oops, three of these. I have to get my ass in gear.

One thing I'll lobby hard for is not to solve this apparent problem by watering the shelf down (not implying you're suggesting that, btw).

(I'm most ashamed to admit I've not read Dhalgren. That's a classic.)

message 3: by Meghan (last edited Apr 02, 2012 11:41AM) (new)

Meghan  (mm_reads) | 152 comments Mod
edited comment 03/25 2:30 am

I had hoped I could add The Starving Years by Jordan Castillo Price to the hard-realistic scifi shelf. It takes place in an otherwise contemporary America. There is an artificially-created 'food stuff' that seems to be ubiquitous throughout the world (sort of the way soy or corn syrup seem to be in everything). Just doesn't seem like it has enough science discussion in it to be on this shelf.

message 4: by Venona (new)

Venona | 12 comments Charming wrote: "Our bookshelf only has eight books listed in the hard/realistic scifi category. I know that is a favorite of several people here, so I am hoping we can come up with some more suggestions. This cate..."

Ethan of Athos was one of those books I read I wasn't introduced yet to slash fiction and mm romance.

message 5: by Michael (last edited Oct 19, 2015 10:03AM) (new)

Michael (mgm58) | 9 comments I'm not sure if these meet the requirement for "hard/realistic scifi books" but I have them shelved as SciFi.

Two to Tango by Nicola Cameron Two to Tango by Nicola Cameron
Alpha Trine (The Valespian Pact #1) by Lexi Ander Alpha Trine by Lexi Ander
Dark Space (Dark Space, #1) by Lisa Henry Dark Space by Lisa Henry
Song of the Navigator by Astrid Amara Song of the Navigator by Astrid Amara

If "hard/realistic scifi" is more like Isaac Asimov's The Foundation Trilogy or 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke then they probably don't qualify but I thought I would throw them out there.

For something just fun check out Bone Rider by J. Fally.

message 6: by Jaye (new)

Jaye McKenna | 53 comments Mel Keegan's Hellgate series is definitely hard sci fi.

The Rabelais Alliance (Hellgate, #1) by Mel Keegan The Rabelais Alliance
Deep Sky (Hellgate, #2) by Mel Keegan Deep Sky
Cry Liberty (Hellgate, #3) by Mel Keegan Cry Liberty
Probe (Hellgate, #4) by Mel Keegan Probe
Flashpoint (Hellgate #5) by Mel Keegan Flashpoint
Event Horizon (Hellgate #6) by Mel Keegan Event Horizon

The series is complete. As an engineer, I'm quite a stickler for plausible science in my sci fi. This series passed my test for plausibility, meaning I didn't even once have to roll my eyes or make dire mutterings regarding the state of science education in the world today.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dhalgren (other topics)
Cyteen (other topics)
Ethan of Athos (other topics)
Lost Star (other topics)
Mind Fuck (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jordan Castillo Price (other topics)
Lexi Ander (other topics)
Lisa Henry (other topics)