The Sword and Laser discussion

The Princess Bride
This topic is about The Princess Bride
Princess Bride Original Cover

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrew (Frontline) | 129 comments Book Covers were much more exciting (and had less to do with the book) in the 70s.

The Princess Bride Original Cover

message 2: by Bookshelf (last edited Mar 23, 2012 10:31AM) (new)

Bookshelf | 1164 comments And your point?
;-}

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 161 comments I've seen the movie, but never read the book.

I suddenly want to read the book.

Rebecca Mabe (Beckegirl) This one made me chuckle. Thanks for that.

terpkristin | 2659 comments Jason wrote: "I've seen the movie, but never read the book.

I suddenly want to read the book."

We read it as either the main pick or the alternate pick a little while back. Save yourself the time: the movie is one of the few that is better than the book. ;)

Andrew (Frontline) | 129 comments Jason wrote: "I've seen the movie, but never read the book.

I suddenly want to read the book."

Just make sure you get the unabridged version. It's worth it. ;)

Alterjess | 318 comments Andrew wrote: "Just make sure you get the unabridged version. It's worth it. ;)"

In the original Florinese, if you can find it.

terpkristin wrote: "Save yourself the time: the movie is one of the few that is better than the book. "

I'm not going to argue that TPB isn't a perfect movie, but the book is also a nearly perfect book. I reread it at least once a year. They're like the book and radio play versions of H2G2 - each ideally suited to their respective media.

terpkristin | 2659 comments Jess wrote: "I'm not going to argue that TPB isn't a perfect movie, but the book is also a nearly perfect book. I reread it at least once a year. They're like the book and radio play versions of H2G2 - each ideally suited to their respective media. "

Different strokes for different folks. :) After listening to the Stephen Fry version of H2G2, I couldn't get into the radio play version. And similarly, while I adore the movie of The Princess Bride, I thought the book was a little too much. (view spoiler)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments I read the book first - some time in the 70's - it's really funny (don't remember the cover though)

The move - though slightly different - is funny too. But I never pictured Andre th giant as the giant. I kind of remember the cover of the book implying the giant was a Turk, wrapped head gear and all. Seeing Andre play that part really threw me.

Esther (eshchory) | 131 comments I liked the book less because I don't enjoy reading fairytales in general. But the film was genius.

kvon | 494 comments I ran into a similar problem with the 70s cover for Word for World is Forest. I liked all the green, but why was there a naked human woman in there?
The Word for World Is Forest by Ursula K. Le Guin

Bookshelf | 1164 comments Anything to sell a book.

http://goo.gl/y2CaC

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Princess Bride (other topics)
The Word for World Is Forest (other topics)