Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back Heaven is for Real discussion

Heaven Is For Real

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tyler Jacobs Heaven Is For Real-
The Burpo family has been challanged with many challenges in the past few years. After many things that have happened to them, they are hit head on by some bad news that their not yet for years old son has a ruptured appendix. As their son go's into surgery, he takes a long journey to heaven. He explains what he saw while he was on this magnificent journey.

The author of this book is telling us his experience and what it ment to him. I think he is also giving us the chance to let us have our own opinion on the many things that he talks about in this book.

The author did achieve his purpose to me. I think that this book shows outstandig imagery that you can take and use your own imagination to picture what the setting and surroundings are like.

The writing in this book is simple to read. The way the characters talk are just like you were talking to them in a conversatiion. The writing also contains unbelievable description in it.

The strength of this book is that it has great discriptions in it. The weakness of this book is that it is a christian book, so other people of other religions may not want to read this book.

All the characters are very believable. All the moods that they go through would be the moods that a normal person would experience going through something like this.

I agree with most of the things in this book but the things that I dont agree with, that character fixes.

Over all if I had to read it again I would and will be. I strongly agree with many of the things in this book. It has not only touched me but my whole family just by me sharing what has happened so far throughout the whole book.

I strongly encourage you to read this book. I hope you will get what I got out of it, and if you do you will look at many things in your life very differently.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It was pretty good, very uplifting

Michelle Read it because my 12 year old told me how great it was...she was right! So glad I read it, it was insightful, believable and confirmed my faith.

W. Donna This book made me laugh and it also made me cry. It also helped to ease my aching heart for loved ones that I have lost. After reading this book, I passed it on to other family members.

Carter I read this book in a day. I loved it!

message 6: by Mcw (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mcw A super easy read with a great story behind it. Really loved it and passed it on to my daughter to read next!

LEXIE MARIE i love this book.. i thought it was very inspiring

LEXIE MARIE it also had me wondering the my love ones that i lose are doing and what they look like!!!

Betty A truely amazing book!

message 10: by Evon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Evon This book was very upliting and inspiring Iam always amazed with the strength that people possess

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin SPOILER
I loved the part where he talked about the war in Heaven. I believe it. It's nice to know about these things in advance. And check out the picture book!

Flanno My grandma lost her husband (my grandpa) a few years ago, and to this day is still deeply, deeply saddened (possibly even mildly depressed). However, this book was given to her as a gift to help her cope by a family member, and she has probably read it 5 times by now. It is always on her shelf, and she lent it to me, but was very insistent that I give it back because it was one of her favourite books. I believe this book has given her reaffirmed hope in seeing her soul mate (my grandparents loved each other like nothing I have ever seen before) once again up in heaven and has maybe even given her peace that he is in good hands at the present. After reading this book, I too was easier able to picture my grandpa up in heaven. I can't wait to find out if he really does have big, beautiful wings just like Colton's grandpa did. One thing I am sure of, is that he is in the best care possible - he is in the hands of Jesus.

Madison the book was very inspiring, i have had many questions that this book has answered for me, i encourage readers to view this book and learn from it,
now im writing a paper about this book and need help writing the plot -_- writers block sucks.

message 14: by Rod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rod Madison if this book is telling you anything that the Bible hasn't already told you then that's BAD.
Please don't learn from this book. It's cute and possibly harmless: or it's a deceptive lie and distracts people from the word of God.

Everything you need to know about God and life is in the Bible.
I really should make a list of all the things this book claims that are not in the Bible. Not that anyone would care. But here's some:

People don't get wings.
Gabriel is NOT seated at God's left hand.
There are no female angels mentioned in the Bible.
This boy is not a prophet or apostle.

Some of these accounts actually line up more with New Age mystical beliefs than Biblical history. In 20 years we'll see what becomes of this. He'll probably just end up on those talk shows with all those other flakes who have been to Heaven and Hell numerous times. I've checked - all of these accounts do not agree with each other OR THE BIBLE.

message 15: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Harmon Ignore my friend Rod, Madison. If I can't have wings, I'm going to throw a fit.

Besides, if everything in the book came from the Bible, that would just be evidence that the whole thing was ideas planted in the head of a minister's little boy. In fact, you should already be disturbed enough by the images in the book that come from Revelation, because these images copied from Revelation (according to the Bible) don't reside up in heaven. They're in the New Jerusalem on earth.

Five stars from me cuz it's cute and harmless :)

message 16: by Rod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rod I hope its cute and harmless Lee. Mostly it'll end up in the bargain bin at Walmart in a few years.

The only damage so far is people losing their time and money.
If you make it to heaven Lee - I'll personally approach Jesus and ask if you can have access to some wings for a time. :)

message 17: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy I could not put the book down. I wanted to know more about what the little boy saw. I was just amazed at how clearly he could recall all those details to pass them onto his parents. I love his concern for others. I just fell in love with this story of heaven and death.

I would say that this book really has me wanting to meet Jesus and talk with him face to face. I just want to get to heaven.

message 18: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Harmon People in heaven DO have wings! I saw a picture once.

Joy, I suspect you'll "get to heaven" the day you make it for yourself. I have a hard time picturing heaven as someplace to "go to." Where is it??

message 19: by Rod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rod Last time I checked it really doesn't matter what we do ourselves or for ourselves. God is pretty much in charge.

Heaven definitely isn't any place i've been. IT's not near Seattle anyway.

Piper I loved this book. I would love to give this book to everyone who has lost a loved one.

message 21: by Rod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rod I'd rather give them a Bible. At least that won't eventually give them false promises.

Kiki~~다은이♥♥ LOVE IT LOVE IT! It's my second favorite book!(1st:The Bible)
I could really confirm that Heaven IS for real. It also made me thinking about HOW big God really is.

Piper You should have a little Faith Rod~

Kiki~~다은이♥♥ Piper wrote: "You should have a little Faith Rod~"

agreed

message 25: by Maria (last edited Jul 10, 2012 10:15AM) (new)

Maria I know this book brings comfort to those who need it, but some of these comments make it sound like a divine revelation from a prophet. It is the hallucination of a 4 year old child, stemming from the fact that the things he "saw" are things he has been taught all his life by his preacher father and the rest of his family. You know how you think you have the memory of something, but it turns out your memory is just of seeing a picture of it, or a family member describing the event? That's what this is. It is amazing to me that people are latching onto this as if it is finally the true explanation they have been searching for, i.e a 4 year old said it, therefore it must be true. (??) It is giving false hope to people about having a big family reunion one day in heaven.

The Bible says that the righteous will possess the earth and will reside forever UPON IT. Also the meek will inherit THE EARTH. The Lord's prayer: Thy kingdom come, thy will be done ON EARTH as it is in heaven. Not IN HEAVEN, on EARTH! Why would the Bible make such a big deal about a resurrection if everyone is already where they are supposed to be when they die? If you instantly go to heaven when you die, then where are you resurrected to on the Lord's day?

This book obviously filled a need for people who have lost loved ones, especially children, and that in itself is a good thing. But if you choose to believe in the Bible, you have to admit it is not based on scripture.

message 26: by Shay (new) - rated it 1 star

Shay Dawkins Heaven is a figurative concept. Heaven dwells within those who have true happiness, peace, and joy right now. This is proven Biblically in this book. The Good News: How Revealing Delusions in Christianity Will Bring Peace to All: Dawkins Truth: Volume 1

message 27: by Lee (last edited Jul 11, 2012 06:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Harmon Shay, Burpo's book is fun and well-written, and you have awarded it one star without explanation, presumably because it disagrees with your personal theology? That hardly bodes well for your own book.

In my book about Revelation, I discuss the origins of Revelation's theology and the first-century scenario it was addressing, which I feel virtually disproves Burpo's book as well (several of Burpo's images derive from Revelation with a misunderstanding of what those images originally meant--see Maria's post above), but so what? This is religion, man! I gave Burpo five stars for a cute book.

message 28: by MD (new) - rated it 3 stars

MD Carrier My nephew alerted me and his cousins to this book. I am the only one who has read it.

I find the subject fascinating, but I have to admit to being a bit disappointed. It seemed repetative at times and a bit simplistic. The father makes some pretty large leaps of faith -- based upon his own faith.

Nevertheless, the book is uplifting and helped bolster my faith.

message 29: by Rod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rod Piper comment:
"You should have a little Faith Rod~"

God has blessed me with a solid faith, discernment, and Biblical logic. And he gave us A WHOLE LOT of Bible. This Burpo book is not necessary. It's just here to distract people from God's word - and it's doing it perfectly.

But it is a cute story. Kind of like all those other cute stories by Muhammad, Buddha, Joseph Smith, Bill Wiese, Mary K. Baxter...

This book helped bolster my horror at the gullibility of Christians who don't comprehend the Bible or theology. But hey, do whatever makes you feel good. Isn't that what they Bible is all about? NO. :D

Claire I though the book was inspiring. It almost made you learn a lesson.

Karen To Rod:
I do agree with you but at the same time the book also encorages people to read the bible with its scripture refrences. I personally dont see the book as harmful and I think it send a good message and its well written. But I also see where your coming from and that makes sense its just not my opinion

Karen To Shay: ya...no heaven is a place that people that have given their lives to God go, the people that have lived for him and love him. Not some state of mind or being

Isabel I am skeptik about this book because I think what he saw in his allucination was information stored in his brain, like a dream he had, sometimes you see people in dreams that you dont remember knowing because you might have seen them as a baby or simply on the street once withouth paying attention,your conscious may not remember but that face is stored in your brain.I think its very well possible, since he grew up in a christian family, that everything he saw came from overhearing his family, he doesnt have to be told specifically to know some things.What he saw may be the truth, but who knows for sure?

Selena Fulton A friend of this recommended it to me after her father died. I loved it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

i haven't read it yet but its on my want to read list

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

a friend was reading it and said i should read it and it was very good but i haven't read it yet

Morgan After I finished the book one word popped into my head: WOW!

message 38: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 07, 2012 06:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer Morefield I loved reading this book. I enjoyed it so much that I shared it with my husband who also found it inspiring. I had the opportunity to hear the Burpo family do an uplifting meeting concerning the book and I found that very memorable too. Definitely a good one to read.

message 39: by Maria (last edited Dec 07, 2012 03:19PM) (new)

Maria I am truly amazed at the gullibility of some Goodreads members, who are otherwise probably very intelligent.

Are people so depressed and in such despair that they will cling to this obvious drivel to make them feel better? One person said they just want to get to heaven to meet Jesus. Wow. Does that mean she can't wait to die? Seriously?

It is amazing to me that people are latching onto this as if it is finally the true explanation they have been searching for, i.e a 4 year old said it, therefore it must be true. (??) It is giving false hope to people about having a big family reunion one day in heaven.

Someone said that this was their second favorite book, the Bible being the first. Really? You obviously have not read the Bible or you would be looking forward to living in a paradise here on earth one day not flying around like a weird winged creature in heaven.

The Bible says that the righteous will possess the earth and will reside forever UPON IT. Also the meek will inherit THE EARTH. The Lord's prayer: Thy kingdom come, thy will be done ON EARTH as it is in heaven. Not IN HEAVEN, on EARTH!

I'm sure no one will respond to what I've said here because there is absolutely no argument that can refute it.

Ok, now back to the "oh, I feel so close to my dead loved ones" pity party.....

message 40: by Azar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Azar Aftimos Opened a new horizon..

message 41: by Rod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rod This book has set up Daddy Burpo as an undisputed Prophet from God that gets Holy Annointings straight from up above. That should concern us.

Revelation 21:1
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

I think Heaven will be endlessly new and interesting. I doubt anyone there will ever be bored. The city does say it will be cubed - now that's fascinating.

message 42: by Maria (new)

Maria Everyone focuses on the "new heaven" part of that scripture and ignores the "new earth" part.

The new earth spoken about is the one that the "meek shall inherit" and the one spoken about in Psalm 37:29: "The righteous themselves will possess the earth AND THEY SHALL RESIDE FOREVER UPON IT."

Revelation 21:4 says that in God's kingdom "death will be no more, neither will mourning, outcry pain" - people assume this to mean heaven, but then it goes on to say "the former things have passed away" - how could they pass away in heaven - those things have never been in heaven - only on earth.

Which is why Jesus taught us to pray for God's kingdom to come (in the Lord's prayer) ON EARTH as it is in heaven.

So, I don't know what is so hard to understand - this book cannot be visions of what someone saw in heaven - since there is no one up there except God, Jesus and the angels. All the dead people are in their graves waiting for the ressurection spoken of in John 5:28 & 29.

Get a clue, people. God gave us the Bible so we could understand these things, not twist them to our own liking.

message 43: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Harmon Maria, I'm curious: are you a believer in the Bible? I mean, is it God's word to you?

message 44: by Maria (last edited Jan 21, 2013 05:37PM) (new)

Maria Ah, Lee - excellent question. How can we know for sure? It has a lot of excellent advice for living a good, clean, and happy life and it has a lot of stories that can teach us lots of lessons. Neither of these things have to be divine to be helpful.

What does rile me up, though, is people who claim to believe it is God's word, then say in the next breath that they don't believe the earth was meant for mankind to live on. See my previous post. All in the Bible, but not believed by most Christians. It does not "tickle their ears".

They also claim to worship the one true God (they don't even call him by name, and deride those who do)but have no problem taking part in holiday celebrations that are obviously of pagan origination - it's just fun, God won't care that we're snubbing our noses at him, right?

So, yes, maybe, I do believe, I want to believe. In most cases - it has definitely been "adjusted" by years of human translation, but for the most part, the gist of it is clear. But what I cannot tolerate, as stated above, is hypocrisy of so-called "Christians".

Rant over. :)

message 45: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Harmon :) Well, I figure anyone who doesn't think they know the answers yet is someone worth listening to.

message 46: by Maria (new)

Maria I certainly don't know all the answers and am always a little weirded out by people or groups who claim to - and claim to be totally right while everyone else is wrong.

Kaitlyn I loved it. It was sad but, a good book

Christopher Sumpter Tyler wrote: "Heaven Is For Real-
The Burpo family has been challanged with many challenges in the past few years. After many things that have happened to them, they are hit head on by some bad news that their ..."

It doesn't really seem appropriate to say that this being a "Christian book" is a weakness. Just because a reader may not subscribe to the same religious beliefs as the author does not mean that there is anything wrong with the book.

Kaitlyn I agree :)

message 50: by Rod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rod I guess Truth is not a big deal to many people. Be careful what you allow yourself to believe.

This book makes many truth claims. To not question them is to have blind foolish beliefs (very similar to Hindu's and their wife stealing monkey deities). All claims should be challenged - the Bible says so...

« previous 1