Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2012! > Katelyn's 75 Books in 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 70) (70 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Katelyn (last edited Sep 26, 2012 12:19AM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) I have never done a challenge like this and I think it would be fun. The goal is to have read 75 or more books from now until the end of the year. I generally read 3-5 books at any given time depending on my mood so I can't wait to get started!
Update: I've been reading a lot faster than I had thought so I changed the challenge to 75 books.

message 2: by Katelyn (last edited Apr 14, 2012 04:40PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #1: The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain
I gave the book 4 stars.
In 1977 a very pregnant Genevieve Russell disappeared. She was found 20 years later dead. Her unborn child was not with her.

One young girl and an act of desperation. Have you ever been in love? Love to the point where you would doing anything for the other person? Even risk going to prison? Ceecee felt this kind of love when she started going out with the smart and funny Tim. She was so captivated by his words that when he needed her to help him with something dangerous, something that could land them both in prison, she agreed. This decision changed her life forever, for something happened that night, something that Ceecee had to vow to never tell a soul about. She is no longer Ceecee Wilkes and her life became built on lies. But when something years later shakes the foundation of her life she has to decide whether to come clean about that night so long ago- and risk her life that was built on lies- or let Timothy Gleason take the fall for murder that he did not commit.

Overall this book was a good read. It kept my attention and I found myself hardly able to put it down. The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes

message 3: by Katelyn (last edited Apr 14, 2012 04:41PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #2: Inconceivable by Carolyn Savage
Just finished Inconceivable and rated it 3 stars for the book itself but the Sean and Carolyn deserve 5 stars. This was a truly beautiful book.
This book documents the journey shared by Sean and Carolyn, a couple who had struggled to get pregnant over the years. After one more round of IVF, Carolyn did become pregnant but the baby was not theirs and they could not keep him, although they could abort him. They decided to stick it through and deliver the ultimate gift-the gift of life to this other couple.Inconceivable

message 4: by Katelyn (last edited May 02, 2012 10:21PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #3: The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams
A really good and quick read about a 13 year girl stuck in a polygamist family, told that she has to marry her old uncle. This book was scary because it felt so real. The protagonist was a strong 13 year old who has been to hell and back. Don't read if you are faint of heart, it was a hard book to get through but definitely good. I gave this 4 stars.
The Chosen One

message 5: by Katelyn (last edited May 02, 2012 10:28PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #4: If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman
I loved this book and gave it 4 stars. It was a beautiful story about a terrifying choice. Mia is a regular girl-close with her family and with her boyfriend Adam. When Mia's family car gets totaled she finds herself in the gutter, looking for her family. What she finds is not only her parents dead but herself in critical condition. This book is about a choice, to stay and live in a world without your family or to go. Mia has to make this decision and it is not an easy one. I thoroughly enjoyed it! The writing was beautiful and poetic-Mia felt so real.
If I Stay

message 6: by Katelyn (last edited Apr 14, 2012 04:42PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #5: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
I enjoyed this book for the most part. It was a little longer than it probably should have been and I also thought that the ending wasn't quite right but I still enjoyed it. 3 stars.
Before I Fall

message 7: by Katelyn (last edited Apr 14, 2012 04:42PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #6: Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
First of all, I LOVED it! As I was reading through it, I was enjoying it at first then I came to a point where I was just confused as to whether I liked it or not. It made me uncomfortable, sitting on the edge of my seat. I lost about a whole night of sleep because I couldn't put it down, I always had to know what happened next. Nothing is as it seems. After I realized how this book was making me feel I realized how great it is.
This book was perfect, it kept me entertained, gave me a bit of romance for the girl side of me-but not too much and it left me breathless at parts. 5 stars from me!Divergent

message 8: by Katelyn (last edited May 02, 2012 10:23PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #7: Treehugger by Kea Alwang
The beginning is really hard to get through and to be honest, if I wasn't reading to review it I probably would have given up. To be fair though, the author had to clear up the worlds and the characters and stuff in the beginning. I'm not saying this book was poorly written because the author was quite good at explaining things and the adventure was definitely there, it just takes a while to get there. I personally just had trouble getting through it-it just wasn't my cup of tea personally. This book did have its moments though, there were some interesting parts and I felt as though I could relate to Chloe when I was in high school (except for the whole I wasn't from another planet part). Don't expect this to be a quick and easy read-make sure you have the time to spend reading and understanding it.
I recommend this book to those who enjoy reading young adult science fiction and adventure stories.

*I received this book from the author*
Treehugger

message 9: by Katelyn (last edited May 19, 2012 08:49AM) (new)

message 10: by Katelyn (last edited Apr 30, 2012 03:02PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #9: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
I loved this period piece from the depression. It was so well written that you feel like you're in the circus with them. It follows recently orphaned Jacob and his experiences in the circus. I like how it goes from his days in the circus to present times as he reminisces about those days while in a nursing home. The author made the characters come to life and it made for one enjoyable read.
Water for Elephants

message 11: by Katelyn (last edited Apr 14, 2012 04:43PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #10: Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano
I really enjoyed reading this book and it definitely kept me entertained. I liked that it wasn't too focused on the romance thing like I thought it might be and it had a very interesting plot. 3 stars because I liked it :)
Wither

Arlene | 388 comments Congratulations on your 10th book. My only comment is that I would like to see what the books are. ????
When you are posting you can add book by clicking on the link at the top of the comment box. Then you search for the book using the title or the isbn#. That way you can add the picture of the cover or just the name of the book. Thanks

message 13: by Katelyn (last edited Apr 14, 2012 04:40PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Hi Arlene, all of the books I have posted do have the covers. Maybe you just can't see them on your computer? They show up on mine. I will go ahead and post links for all of them just in case others can't see the covers as well.
Thanks for the advice,
Katelyn

message 14: by Katelyn (last edited May 02, 2012 10:24PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #11 Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) by Lauren DeStefano
Very good sequel to Wither. I enjoyed reading it but it didn't quite get really good until about 80% into it. It does keep you entertained and there are a few twists and turns. I can't wait for the third one!

Fever

Arlene | 388 comments Thanks - I may have been on my computer at work and sometimes the covers don't come thru.

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) I totally understand, my laptop does that sometimes.

message 17: by Katelyn (last edited Apr 30, 2012 01:42PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #12 Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver
Loved this book-I found myself drawn to Lena from the beginning. I found that I could relate to her when I was her age-not questioning society and all. I liked how she grew in the book going from a regular teenager in her society to a strong woman who knows what she wants and learns to question authority. I gave this book 4 stars and very much enjoyed it.
Delirium

message 18: by Katelyn (last edited May 02, 2012 10:19PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Currently reading Book #13 Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver
This book follows Lena who made it into the wilds and was taken in by some "invalids."
I enjoyed this book after about 30% into it. I found it a little boring and confusing at first but grew to enjoy it. Each chapter was separated into the past or the present. I didn't like the "then" parts much but I really enjoyed the current parts. There are many new characters-not as much character development as I would have liked on some of them but that is understandable because of the way the book was written. We are also introduced to Julian-the head of the cure activist youth group. He is by far my favorite new character and if you read this book you will find out why.
Lauren Oliver writes beautifully, as we have seen in Before I Fall and Delirium and this book is no exception.
Pandemonium

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #14 Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) by Gayle Forman
I adored this book. Where She Went takes place 3 years after Mia's accident-Mia and Adam are no longer together and this book is from Adam's point of view. In the same style as the first book-flashbacks and all-we find out what exactly happened to Adam and Mia. One fateful night, Adam decides to see Mia's show and after they embark on a journey that is much more than just where they visit but who they become.
I really did enjoy this book, especially reading about the accident from Adam's point of view. He was a sweet and confusing guy to read about plus someone you can actually imagine. I also love the picture he paints of Mia-who she was and who she became. I also loved the ending. The writing was poetic, beautiful and sad. I give it 5 stars!
Where She Went

message 20: by Katelyn (last edited May 06, 2012 10:20AM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #15 Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth
I loved this book just as much as Divergent! It follows Tris and Four and many other characters in their war against those who are trying to control the people in their society. But the enemies are not always who you may think.
I really enjoyed this book, I like that it didn't have a love triangle and the characters are so strong.
Insurgent

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #16
The Kind Diet  A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet by Alicia Silverstone
This book was great and really enjoyed how it makes you think about what you eat.
The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet

message 22: by Katelyn (last edited May 19, 2012 08:44AM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #17 Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Unearthly was by far the best fallen angel book I have read. I read Fallen not too long ago but the books after that in that series did not keep me interested enough at all. Unearthly follows angel-blood Clara as she works to fulfill her purpose in this life-all angel-bloods have purposes and reasons why they are on this earth. Clara's turns out to be a little more complicated than she had planned.
Unearthly

message 23: by Katelyn (last edited May 12, 2012 07:30PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #18 Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

This book is not for the faint of heart. Still missing follow Annie after she had been abducted by a man who showed up to her open house. In the form of therapy sessions we follow her as she comes to terms with what happened to her-the first half of the book going through what happened in the cabin after she was abducted and the second half focuses more on the present-who really took her. Not everyone is as innocent as they seem...
I enjoyed this book-it definitely grabs your attention and keeps you interested. I found Annie to be a realistic person and I liked that they showed it through her eyes in therapy sessions. It made it more real. This novel brought up a lot of emotions in me as I learned more about Annie's experience-not only in the woods with her kidnapper/rapist/"the Freak" but how traumatized she was after and how strong she could be while still feeling horrible. This book felt real and that is what makes it such a good/sad book.
Still Missing

message 24: by Katelyn (last edited Jun 02, 2012 04:55PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #19
Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) by Cynthia Hand
Book 2 of the Unearthly series. This book took me for a ride on an emotional roller coaster. I laughed, I cried, I got depressed. This is definitely one of those books where people take sides. Team Tucker/Christian anyone? Some may even switch sides after this book(of course I remain team Tucker, just sayin).
We get some major character development in this book along with many questions answered. We find out more about Clara and Jeffery, their parents, Christian, other angel-bloods and what it means to be an angel. We find out more about purposes and all.
Other than the fact that this book made me angry-I possibly liked it more than Unearthly. This book was written so beautifully-almost heavenly
Hallowed

message 25: by Katelyn (last edited Jul 05, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #20
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling
I always loved Harry Potter but I recently realized it has been years since I had read any of the books so I decided to pick them up again. They are still just as wonderful as before.
I love being sucked into Harry's world and these books are very fun to read. The writing style is fun and I love the adventures.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #21 Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
In only a moment, everything can change. This is what Allie learns the hard way after her boyfriend died driving off of a cliff while she was there. Thing is-she doesn't remember it. She was found on the ground unconscious and bleeding. Her boyfriend was the son of a powerful man and living in a small town people began to talk and wonder-why can't Allie remember that night? Is she hiding something? When Allie becomes closer to her friend Blake suspicions rise. Allie keeps being pushed to remember but the problem is remember brings up all of the memories of her abusive dead ex-the ones she's kept secret since they started dating.
My thoughts:
I simply enjoyed this book. The subject matter is sad but the book kept on moving. It was just long enough and didn't drag on. I loved the character development and how it happens throughout the book. The picture that the author painted in describing Allie, her brother Andrew, Trip and Blake was perfect. I feel that reading this book or books like these can help bring to light the issues that Allie suffered before the car accident. Many young women are victims of dating violence and abuse but don't always see it that way. Its important to bring these issues to the surface and start talking about them in truth-not in the way that books like 50 Shades of Grey or Twilight paint them.
All in all this was a great book and I really liked it.
Breaking Beautiful

message 27: by Katelyn (last edited Jun 05, 2012 10:16PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #22
Wraith by Angel Lawson
*I received this book from the author but that in no way influenced this review*

Labeled a freak at school-Jane only has one friend to turn to, Evan who happens to be dead. When Jane meets Connor she quickly realizes that he can see Evan too. Jane tries to resist the inevitable friendship with Connor but the more he tries to talk to her, the more she realizes they have in common. But Connor is suspicious of Evan's intentions and believes that there is more to the story of why he is on earth than Jane knows. Turns out Evan's past was much more horrible and heartbreaking than Jane imagined. Realizing that Evan's past isn't exactly over and that his family may be in danger, Jane also endangers herself.

My thoughts:
I thought this book was a great read. It kept me interested and I finished it the day I got it because I found it so interesting. The story was good, heartbreaking and romantic. Some moments I wanted to cry but others I felt super giddy (cause I'm a total girl). I liked that it didn't involve some love triangle like I originally thought it would. The relationship between Jane and Connor I really enjoyed even though I couldn't stand Jane's attitude towards him at first. I do wish that there was more on Jane's friendship with Evan though.

All in all I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy contemporary fiction with a twist of fantasy. I don't think this book necessarily needs a sequel but I would enjoy reading more about Jane and Connor in the future if the author decides to write one.
Wraith

message 28: by Katelyn (last edited Jun 05, 2012 10:17PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #23
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
I enjoyed this book a lot even if it made me mad at times (I'll explain in the spoilers section). I found their world fascinating and once I got to the middle of it I couldn't put it down and read it non-stop. The writing is great, their world is awesome, their adventures were excellent and the character development was good. Very worth the read.

******************************SPOILERS!!!**************************
I'm sure this is mentioned a lot in reviews of this book but Jace and Clary siblings...really?... This part frustrated me a lot. I have a feeling that they aren't really but I guess we'll see.
City of Bones

message 29: by Katelyn (last edited Jun 25, 2012 11:49PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #24
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare
I actually enjoyed this book more than City of Bones because it was filled with more action and was more exciting. This is turning out to be a great series and I'm really enjoying it!
City of Ashes

message 30: by Katelyn (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:11PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #25
Stunning (Pretty Little Liars, #11) by Sara Shepard
Since the show came out I have been enjoying this series. This book was a good one but I haven't been feeling the last few books in this series. Don't get me wrong, they are still suspenseful and interesting but I think we need to get more than what we've been given to keep me interested. Nothing in it was very surprising and some of the stories got a little dull but all in all it was worth the read and I recommend it to any PLL fans out there. Stunning

message 31: by Katelyn (last edited Aug 05, 2012 08:51PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #26
Awaken (Awaken, #1) by Katie Kacvinsky
This was an interesting book and I liked it okay. I do feel like it gave an idea of what it could be like in the future, where technology is everything and people don't interact with fellow humans in person very much in the name of safety. I felt like the flow was a little off and found myself getting bored at a few too many spots in the book but all in all it was a fun and short read.
Awaken

message 32: by Katelyn (last edited Jul 14, 2012 11:26PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #27
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling
As good as I remember it, I read it years ago and reading it again was like reading it for the first time. I had forgotten many events and I love the twists and turns of it.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #28
In the Middle of Nowhere by Julie Ann Knudsen
This was a quick read and I finished in within a few hours. It was a simple, cute and sad story and the reason for my tears tonight.
In the Middle of Nowhere

message 34: by Katelyn (last edited Aug 05, 2012 08:57PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #29
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare
This is a great prequel series to the Mortal Instruments. I enjoyed it more than City of Bones and City of Ashes even-very well written and so many twists and turns.
Clockwork Angel

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Currently reading book #30
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Catcher in the Rye

message 36: by Katelyn (last edited Jul 26, 2012 12:33AM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #31

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
This turned out to be one of my favorite Harry Potter books. It is a lot different reading it this time than it was when I read it the first time, years ago. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling

message 37: by Katelyn (last edited Aug 05, 2012 09:02PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #32
Easy by Tammara Webber
This was a beautiful book that I enjoyed very much. I finished it in a day and loved it. Very well written, swoonworthy guy, strong female lead and much more. The story I found to be very interesting and I liked the author's writing style.
Easy

message 41: by Katelyn (last edited Aug 23, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

message 42: by Katelyn (last edited Aug 06, 2012 05:05PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #37
Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson NoelEvermore

message 43: by Katelyn (last edited Aug 23, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #38
Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnGone Girl

message 44: by Katelyn (last edited Aug 11, 2012 10:10PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #39
Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James
The hopeless romantic in me took joy in this book, my feminist side did not as much. Still, I enjoyed reading it and I finished in one night so I gave it 3 stars. Every time she says "inner goddess" I want to vomit.
Fifty Shades of Grey

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #40
Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) by E.L. James
I really enjoyed this book and I was very surprised. I didn't expect much but I found it to be very good.
Fifty Shades of Grey

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #41
Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3) by E.L. James
Best of the series in my opinion.
Fifty Shades of Grey

message 47: by Katelyn (last edited Aug 28, 2012 12:36PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #42
Blue Moon (The Immortals, #2) by Alyson Noel

message 50: by Katelyn (last edited Sep 13, 2012 03:20PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Book #45
Amsterdam by Ian McEwanAmsterdam

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes (other topics)
Inconceivable (other topics)
The Chosen One (other topics)
If I Stay (other topics)
Before I Fall (other topics)
More...