College Students! discussion

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments I'm just so excited to find other Doctor Who fans that I can talk about the show with, and now I can make references to the show and people will actually know what I'm talking about.

I'm almost done with the 6th season, only 3 episodes left.

message 2: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments I finally watched the episode you asked about.....and my mind was blown too! I kind of knew it was coming but it was still exciting! I also fangirled a little bit in the Hitler episode when (view spoiler) (not really spoilerish but being safe).

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments haha, I reacted the same way! I was a bit giddy when I saw them. Or more than a bit... lol.

I had kinda predicted (view spoiler)

Every time I type 'spoiler' for the html tag, I hear it in River's voice. lol

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments Anyone watch the mid-season finale?

message 5: by Merc (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments Oh yes, I did. Does anyone know when DW is starting back up?

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments We have the Christmas special and then the eighth season will be next fall, they start filming in January with Capaldi.

So...

Who watched The Day of the Doctor?

message 7: by Merc (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments I didn't watch the last special. I usually wait until closer to the season premiere to watch those. I heard a lot about it though.

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments Well, it was the 50th anniversary special. Kinda a big deal. lol. Hope you don't get spoiled before you watch it, it was amazing! :)

message 9: by Merc (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments Oh yeah, I knew it was the 50th anniversary but the 9th is my favourite doctor and his absence made it a bit easier to wait 'til the upcoming season. Or, at least the christmas special. I liked the last XMAS special I saw.

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments It's a pity Eccelston is so adamant that he wants nothing more to do with the show.

message 11: by Merc (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments It really is but I gotta have respect for that level of stubbornness. But, I do believe he considered it for a bit but rejected it after getting a rundown of what was happenin' in the episode.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments I felt a bit underwhelmed by the anniversary special. I'm not sure what exactly what I was expecting, but the episodes written by Moffat are so hit-and-miss for me. I felt this one was a bit of a miss. I'm not sure why, but sometimes the characters somehow just seem...off. I feel like, thinking back, in the "miss" episodes, this is particularly true of the women. Melody/River in "Let's Kill Hitler" and the scarf character from the anniversary episode come immediately to mind. Overall, I just feel a bit let down.

message 13: by Merc (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments I had a friend who watched that episode and felt the same. I have really come to expect less from his episodes just to keep myself from being too disappointed.

On tumblr, there was thing thing going on about the girl in the scarf basically being "them". As if she was to represent the fans, somehow. Personally, that made little sense to me because of the episode where River and 11th got married.

PS. I am beyond excited for Neil Gaimen's episode. Well, his book. But, surely he will do another episode.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments Eddie wrote: "I had a friend who watched that episode and felt the same. I have really come to expect less from his episodes just to keep myself from being too disappointed.

On tumblr, there was thing thing goi..."

I saw that tumblr post too. I understand how people came to that conclusion, but if it's true, it makes me a bit mad because I don't find it to be a particularly flattering picture. I know that "fangirls" (and "fanboys") are sort of known as an excitable and overzealous lot, but if that's how Moffat views us no wonder his episodes are so spotty- he doesn't take us seriously.

Anyway, as for more Neil Gaiman episodes? I cannot wait! I loved "A Nightmare in Silver" so much. It's second only to "Closing Time" in my book.

message 15: by Merc (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments Honestly, I don't think he takes the fans of the show seriously. I thought the image was unflattering, also. It seemed very... stereotypical? I don't know. I only read a descrption and saw a screencap. All I can really say is that I really liked her scarf. Lol.

It's odd but my favourite episode is actually the Van Gogh one. I have many of favourites but that is my top.

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments Oh man, yes! The Van Gogh episode is amazing. Episodes like that, where it's more heart and soul than fighting a monster...those are the ones that stick with me. I think that's actually why I love Closing Time; the chemistry with the Doctor and Stormageddon and his dad is fantastic- it's funny and there's so much love there. Similar with Nightmare in Silver.

message 17: by Merc (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments That is very true! I have watched that episode almost as many times as Van Gogh and it still kills me. Episodes like that make it real hard to make a list of my favourite companions!

(PS, I respond so fast. But, sometimes work is slow. Lol)

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments Ouch. That turned negative fast. I'm out.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments Eddie wrote: "That is very true! I have watched that episode almost as many times as Van Gogh and it still kills me. Episodes like that make it real hard to make a list of my favourite companions!

(PS, I respo..."

Part of me says "Don't even try to rank your favorite companions" but at the same time, Amy & Rory were my first so I have a crazy huge soft spot for them <3 Have you seen the youtube video from HISHE (How It Should Have Ended)? I turn into Batman whenever it comes up XD

The vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2swVi...

message 20: by Merc (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments Haha! I am a bit bias with my ranking. I mean, I love Martha and Donna! I may like Rory more than Amy... I am not sure.

Peraonally, I dont consider River to be a companion since she drives the TARDIS better than him so she goes unranked and thus unrivaled. lol.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments Eddie wrote: "Haha! I am a bit bias with my ranking. I mean, I love Martha and Donna! I may like Rory more than Amy... I am not sure.

Peraonally, I dont consider River to be a companion since she drives the TA..."

Donna is fantastic! The episode with the library where Donna has a husband and kids, then the Doctor saves them and her husband tries to call out to her but he can't because he has the stutter- I think that was the first time the show really actually made my heart hurt. But oh my goodness the adipose episode! Between the chemistry with the Doctor and Donna, the cuteness of the adipose and the comedy, I could explode with happiness lol

As for River, I'm so glad you brought her up. I was reading a tumblr post just a little while ago about how obviously River isn't his first wife because the first doctor had a wife and kids/grandkids back on Gallifrey...SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS [now that we know Gallifrey is still safe somewhere out there, what do you think is going to happen? I have so many questions! lol] Also, she's way better at driving the TARDIS because he has the parking break on ;)

message 22: by Merc (last edited Dec 06, 2013 01:13PM) (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments I cannot lie- I am sure I cried a little on that episode. That really was one of those moments where I felt Donna could be happier without the Doctor. And, regardless of how much I love the Doctor, I love it even more when people who are in his world can say they love something else more. That may be why I love Rory so much.

I see the plushie adipose everywhere! I really want a phone charm of that. An oversized one! The bad thing about seeing them (and the Doctor's scarf) is that I know that if I learned to sew- I could easily make these things! Lol, but nope.

(view spoiler)

PS. It did get negative, Kimberly. But, we criticize out of deep like if not love! Lol.

message 23: by Kimberly (last edited Dec 05, 2013 05:01PM) (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments I just do my best to avoid criticism and negativity. The show makes me happy, so when I talk about it, I focus on the positive. Hopefully that makes sense. :)

Also. There is a spoiler tag for goodreads!

(view spoiler)

< spoiler> < /spoiler> Just take out the spaces.

That's a bit more effective. ;)

message 24: by Merc (new)

Merc (OswinsSouffle) | 134 comments I removed possible spoilers from my post.

message 25: by Eveline (new)

Eveline Meijer (EMeijer) | 11 comments I watched the new Dr. Who episode last saturday. Loved it! But I'm sad to see Matt go...I wonder how the new Doctor is going to do it all..

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments Eveline wrote: "I watched the new Dr. Who episode last saturday. Loved it! But I'm sad to see Matt go...I wonder how the new Doctor is going to do it all.."

I'm still sort of refusing to accept that he's really gone, although I'm pleased that the show gave me one of those "my lips to God's ears" moments. Right before the show aired I'd been talking to my boyfriend about the impending emotional trauma and told him (view spoiler) Again, still having trouble processing my emotions but I have a feeling that as soon as I get that first episode with Capaldi I'll think "What was I even worried about?" =)

message 27: by Eveline (new)

Eveline Meijer (EMeijer) | 11 comments Yeah same here! They did close it off well, I'm happy about that :)

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments Eveline wrote: "Yeah same here! They did close it off well, I'm happy about that :)"

I was just on Pinterest and came across a pin for this: http://www.silverpetticoatreview.com/... It's a review for the episode (for any potential clickers, be warned there are PLENTY of spoilers if you haven't watched the episode yet).

I thought she was pretty spot on with both her "likes" and criticisms. I haven't put a lot of thought into the episode as a whole yet because, like I said, I'm still pretty much in complete denial that Matt won't be there when the show starts up again, but it's very thoughtful.

message 29: by Eveline (new)

Eveline Meijer (EMeijer) | 11 comments Indeed, it's very spot on. Good review! I hope that the new season will be filled with better episodes, and more developed characters.

I actually didn't realize Clara wasn't so developed until I read this review. It's terrible! She is indeed very shallow, and I would have loved to see more depth in her character.

message 30: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments So true! I hadn't really thought about it too much because I thought maybe I only disliked her because she was new to me, but upon closer inspection, yeah she's rather flat. I really hope that now that there's a new version of The Doctor we'll get to explore her character and their relationship beyond "we're both young and pretty so it's natural that I'm cute and fancy him", you know? Not that Peter Capaldi isn't handsome but I think the big age difference will change the dynamic =)

message 31: by Eveline (new)

Eveline Meijer (EMeijer) | 11 comments Ashley wrote: "So true! I hadn't really thought about it too much because I thought maybe I only disliked her because she was new to me, but upon closer inspection, yeah she's rather flat. I really hope that now ..."

I hope it will change the dynamic! And honestly, I'm kinda hoping The Doctor will get a new companion. One that will be better worked out. One that we can really like (or dislike of course)

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments I still harbor a dream of Craig (Stormageddon's dad) being the companion =) He and 11 had a fantastic chemistry.

message 33: by Eveline (new)

Eveline Meijer (EMeijer) | 11 comments Yeah agreed. But I'm also kind of hoping River Song will return. I loved her

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments I've read a few articles saying she has a big role to play in the upcoming seasons; quoting both Moffat and Alex Kingston. I'll link them if I can uncover them again =) Anyway, I think River and 12 will be FANTASTIC together. The impression that I get of Capaldi...I think he's finally the right fit for that sexy/confident/powerful force that is River Song.

message 35: by Eveline (new)

Eveline Meijer (EMeijer) | 11 comments I think so too! They would be adorable :D Hope she really does come back, I loved her so much

message 36: by Chakara (new)

Chakara | 5 comments I started what I think was the new series and I really didn't like the secondary characters like the assistant was like super dumb to me and it was very 90's or even early as far as acting style went. Then I remember her having this best friend that was a black man and he died or something and she was kinda like oh wellzzzz lets forget all about that.

I may have to rewatch it i think it was called roses or something like that then I watched on where they went to a party on a ship with 'the last living human'.

I think i'm just a startrek next gen type of girl.

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments Chakara wrote: "I started what I think was the new series and I really didn't like the secondary characters like the assistant was like super dumb to me and it was very 90's or even early as far as acting style we..."

It sounds like you were watching Doctor 10 (episode with Lady Cassandra??) with Rose and Mickey; Mickey was Rose's sort of on-again/off-again boyfriend and yeah, I was always really bothered by the way she treated him too. I remember feeling awkward like "Oh hey my kinda ex-boyfriend, this is the alien man I ran off with...alien man who I flirt with all the time, this is the Earth guy I'm sort of dating...ish..." lol As for her being dumb, I think it's more just that they wrote her to be an intentionally 'innocent' character. I know when they talked about her character in one of the specials I saw, the writer was saying how she was sort of meant to be a really average 19 year-old 'shop girl' with an "extraordinary" blah blah blah (citing about how when people were in trouble Rose would want to jump in and help, which I don't think is particularly extraordinary, just you know, being a good person).

ANYWAY, as for acting, I think maybe when the show first restarted they were trying to recapture some of that children's show campiness? Sort of like how the first season of TNG did before evolving into a more serious/philosophical show. Like, compare season one where they still had Troi in the 60's mini dresses and then a few years later when they do the episodes about Data's humanity.

message 38: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments I've enjoyed ALL of the episodes, even the early ones. And Rose is still my all time favorite companion, though I love them all.

As for Matt's farewell, I thought it was incredible. Totally cried. Capaldi is going to be wonderful I'm sure, but I'm going to miss 'my' Doctor.

Did you all see the official picture of 12's costume? I quite like it.

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments I did! It sort of reminds me of like a pirate, but without the poofiness? If that makes sense =) It seems to suit him very well and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he's like.

message 40: by Gina (new)

Gina (incoldlitgina) | 21 comments Have you guys seen the newest teaser!! Rahhh I can't wait! :)

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments Gina wrote: "Have you guys seen the newest teaser!! Rahhh I can't wait! :)"

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited! I read that his costuming is a bit inspired by David Bowie ;)

message 42: by Gina (new)

Gina (incoldlitgina) | 21 comments Ashley wrote: "Gina wrote: "Have you guys seen the newest teaser!! Rahhh I can't wait! :)"

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited! I read that his costuming is a bit inspired by David Bowie ;)"

That's awesome!! I'm very excited for him! I didn't care too much for Matt Smith, but there's something about Capaldi that I think is going to be amazing!

message 43: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (AshleyCB) | 16 comments Oh no, that broke my heart a little! lol Matt Smith was my first* doctor so he has a very special place in my heart, and of course this will be my first transition to a new regeneration. (I did NOT take the transition from Amy and Rory to Clara well at all...)

*After going back and watching all the previous episodes, I realized that I had seen just a few minutes of the show before, back in 2005. I had no idea I'd 'watched' Doctor Who before, I just remembered channel flipping and seeing a handsome man in a black coat listening to Glenn Miller ;)

message 44: by Gina (new)

Gina (incoldlitgina) | 21 comments makes sense. 9 was my first doctor and I adore him! wish he had more than one season. And I completely agree about the Ponds transition to Clara.....I'm still not over that! so heart wrenching <\3 but I feel like Clara will fit well with the new doctor.

unread topics | mark unread