Shut Up & Read discussion

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
This topic is about Fifty Shades of Grey
Archives > Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Comments (showing 1-50 of 60) (60 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri | 8807 comments Mod
We'll be starting this book Thursday!

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Yes we will! Very excited. I have all three books ready and waiting :)

Annalise Grey | 22 comments Oh my goodness you all are gonna LOVE this book. I have no words for how much I loved this series!!

message 4: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have the first and the third...I'll need to buy the second. I actually won an ARC of the third book in a giveaway :P

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (LoonyAlana) | 378 comments Annalise wrote: "Oh my goodness you all are gonna LOVE this book. I have no words for how much I loved this series!!"

I'll second that!

message 6: by Tana, The Canadian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tana (tana_t) | 1979 comments Mod
I third that, lol

message 7: by Tana, The Canadian (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm thinking of buying all three books and doing a huge giveaway on my blog I figure hundreds of women will come trying to win this series lol

message 8: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good idea :P

Annalise Grey | 22 comments tana that's brilliant!

message 10: by Tana, The Canadian (new) - rated it 5 stars

lol its a good idea now lets keep it between us LMAO

Kel (Bookworm) (FaerieLover) | 111 comments I just finished it, OMG it was awesome.

Irene (Raenne) Ha, let me know if you have the giveaway Tana! ;)

Tt (Never Ending Stories Book Blog) (books101) | 3783 comments Mod
I just went to Barnes and Nobles and I was talking to the lady there and she said this book got picked up by a big publishing company. She was super excited lol but I had went looking for this book a while back and didn't realize it was only available in ebook form until Tana let me in on the secret lol. Just thought I should say if ya didn't know! :D

Tt (Never Ending Stories Book Blog) (books101) | 3783 comments Mod
I wish I could read this with you guys.

message 15: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I didn't realize it was e-book only. Paperback comes out April 3 on Amazon.

Annalise Grey | 22 comments From what I've heard, it has been out in paperback but nobody is able to keep it stocked and the publishing company ran out of copies. I also heard that they're doing a reprint because it's taking the world by storm.

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments I have not started reading it yet, but was planning on starting it in about ten minutes. Are you still going to be reading it Sheri?

message 18: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Mar 22, 2012 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yep. I won't be able to start until about 10 (an hour)...got things to finish up...but starting tonight :)

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments We must be on the same time zone. I have not started yet either....lol. keep getting sidetracked.

Gabriela | 189 comments I just got all three books last week but I am doing the March Dystopian Challenge! Maybe I will start on the first chapter tonight :)

message 21: by ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (last edited Mar 22, 2012 08:14PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments You are more than welcome to read as fast or slow as you want and post with us :) I have not heard of the March Dystopian Challenge....sounds interesting as I like dystopian books, what's the challenge rules?

Irene (Raenne) I'll try to read it too, but I have some books to review, so I might get behind, but I'll try :-)

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Working overnight usually benefits me because I get to read all night....NOT last night!! I actually had to work at work!! lol...so i have only just finished Chapter One and I can tell you I am already intrigued!!!

(view spoiler)

Irene (Raenne) I've also only read the first chapter and I really like it! The way everything is described is really good. I mean, I already know exactly what Christian looks like!

message 25: by ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (last edited Mar 23, 2012 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments My favorite line so far...just in case it's a spoiler (view spoiler)

message 26: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lol! You two are already ahead of me. I ended up not even getting to start last night...should be able to get into it tonight, though :)

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Chapter 9 (view spoiler)

message 28: by ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (last edited Mar 23, 2012 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Book is finished: and if you read my chapter 9 spoiler (view spoiler)

I think I am going to be in the minority here as I have only rated book one at 3 stars. I ended up being a bit disappointed, could have been I hyped myself up too much for it. Maybe as I read the rest of the series I will enjoy it as a whole. Here's my review:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 29: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

You're finished? Wow...and I was going to try to catch up to you tonight! I'm reading chapter 8 right now, so I won't finish tonight, but when I stop reading for the night I'll post my thoughts.

So far I like Ana and love the mysteriousness around Christian. I'll read your spoilers later.

message 30: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

So, I can't help but wondering what the hell is wrong with Christian. (view spoiler). He's still sexy as hell, though.

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Yeah...I finished. LOL, I didn't want to stop reading it because I kept (view spoiler) I agree though that Christian is still very hot (view spoiler) and yes there is something def wrong with him. (view spoiler)

message 32: by ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (last edited Mar 24, 2012 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments OOhh, I remember who I kept comparing this too. Vishous from BDB. This is a spoiler for both BDB Lover Unbound and 50 Shades of Grey (view spoiler)

message 33: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Mar 24, 2012 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I keep thinking of Vishous, too (view spoiler)

I'm not sure I'm finding Ana's character totally believable (view spoiler)

message 34: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Did you know Fifty Shades was first written as Twilight fan fiction? Ana was Bella and Christian was Edward...I think that's funny. Guess it was a pretty big controversy because people didn't feel it was "original" work...yet James still got paid seven figures for the rewrite.

message 35: by ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (last edited Mar 24, 2012 08:32AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Okay, I got that wrong...I was thinking Vishous because of the (view spoiler) Damn, I am editing my previous posts...lol.

I also agree with you about Ana, it got a bit irritating (view spoiler)

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Sheri wrote: "Did you know Fifty Shades was first written as Twilight fan fiction? Ana was Bella and Christian was Edward...I think that's funny. Guess it was a pretty big controversy because people didn't fee..."

I did know that it started as a fan fiction before I started reading the book, so I was looking for similarities in the back of my head while I was reading. I did not know that it was a big to do about being "original". I don't think you could call the final product not original in relation to twilight. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've comparing them, too! There are similarities; however, if you compare any two books you're bound to find similarities between the story line, characters, ect.

message 38: by Gabriela (last edited Mar 24, 2012 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabriela | 189 comments ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ wrote: "You are more than welcome to read as fast or slow as you want and post with us :) I have not heard of the March Dystopian Challenge....sounds interesting as I like dystopian books, what's the chal..."

We had the month of March to read as many Dystopian books as we could and review them. The person with the most reviews wins a $5 credit to buy an ebook. :)

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Gabriela wrote: "we had the month of March..."

Oh that's cool! Fun challenge :)

message 40: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'll definitely be finishing this up tonight.

I love the emails back and forth. It shows a lot of both of Ana's and Christian's characters. I'm getting really irritated with Ana, though. (view spoiler)

Laurie: Almost Faemous (Laurie-almostfaemous) | 41 comments Ok I am gonna be the odd one out here but this book was 50 shades of sucktastic. I hate giving negative reviews I really really do but omg this book was awful for so many reasons. I didn't know it started out as Twilight fanfic until after I read and tbh I didn't find it to be anything like Twilight other than I disliked it as much as Twilight. Since I see everyone gave it great reviews so I'll try and explain why.
(view spoiler)

message 42: by ⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (last edited Mar 25, 2012 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments Laurie: Urban Fantasy wrote: "Ok I am gonna be the odd one out here but this book was 50 shades of sucktastic. I hate giving negative reviews I really really do but omg this book was awful for so many reasons. I didn't know i..."

While I did like Twilight I will agree with you on 50 shades of grey. I am going to read the next book anyway, but what you said about how much worse the second book is scares me...lol

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

⚝ Ŧáẅņá ⚝ wrote: "While I did like Twilight I will agree with you on 50 shades of grey. I am going to read the next book anyway, but what you said about how much worse the second book is scares me...lol..."

I actually liked the first one, the second one was not as good, and by the third one I was over it. (It was totally rushed and put together wrong.) So yeah...if you didn't like the first, I don't see you liking the rest. Good luck though. :)

message 44: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laurie- I agree with you about Ana. I ranted a little in the posts above. (view spoiler)

I still loved the book, though. Thanks for reading with me Tawna!

Are you still reading it Irene? If so, still post your thoughts as you go.

⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝ (allforlost) | 479 comments It's hard to say, I didn't not like it. I just wanted it to be more than just that. The whole first 9 chapters I enjoyed it very much, so I'm going to read the rest and see how it goes.

Annie (AngelAnnie) Tt wrote: "I just went to Barnes and Nobles and I was talking to the lady there and she said this book got picked up by a big publishing company. She was super excited lol but I had went looking for this book..."

Books a Million will have all three in stores by April 3 - hopefully sooner!

Gabriela | 189 comments I finished all three books and I am speechless but I don't think in a good way. I hate the fact that the two main characters are so similar to Twilight. This could have been groundbreaking...this genre in public mainstream entertainment.

message 48: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

Universal Pictures and Focus Features bought the film rights for Fifty Shades...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movie...

Laurie: Almost Faemous (Laurie-almostfaemous) | 41 comments Sheri wrote: "Universal Pictures and Focus Features bought the film rights for Fifty Shades...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movie..."

words have left me

message 50: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new) - rated it 5 stars

I seriously don't think I'd want to see the movie...It will probably end up like True Blood, which I cringe every time I think about.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread