SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

"John Dies..." Discussion > Distracted by inconsistency?

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Zac | 39 comments Don't get me wrong - I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I realize that it's as a result of the way the book was written in spurts and portions, but I found that I was very disappointed by the seeming inconsistency of this book. To be specific, a couple of elements more than any other: the effects of soy sauce on the main characters and the overall story progression.

Again, I enjoyed this immensely, but after having been finished for a few days and reflecting on it, I was really bummed out that the soy sauce didn't continue give them such mind-bending telepathy, or the way the story would grind to halt - a couple months would pass - and then pick up again rather quickly, but almost like the rules had changed.

Also, and I know some will argue that the narrator's VIEWPOINT changes and not the actual character, but I think it's fairly obvious that the AUTHOR'S characterization of Amy changes throughout the book.

Any comments?

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) | 457 comments Actually, now that you mention it, I was really bothered that the soy sauce wasn't more fully explored / elaborated on. It seemed like a had a ton of potential to be a really key plot device, but it just never happened. That, and I just really wanted to see someone fly.

Although I think some of the issues that you're having with it might be due to the fact that the story was written as a series of blog posts (or something similar) and then later converted into one book.

P.S. sorry for late response, in the middle of exams atm.

Zac | 39 comments Thanks, Xeni! I realize that's certainly probably what caused the problem. And quite likely if I'd read them as such, or as a series of short stories compiled into a single book (ala Hammer's Slammers or something) they'd all be easy to ignore; however, reading it as a singular long narrative I found it very troubling.

I'm excited to read Spiders to see how much the continuity issues I sense clear themselves up.

Good luck with exams!

unread topics | mark unread