Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) Lover Revealed discussion

"Baby"

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christina Did anyone else feel as if Butch used the word "baby" entirely too much? Honestly, the man could give the word a rest.

Heather I thought he used it quite a lot and I'm also a little tired of the word "shitkickers" lol

Jeanie Yes, I noticed. Did you notice that Rhage used the name Mary constantly rather than some term of endearment? Obviously, "baby" is Ward's shorthand way of indicating the blue-collar Boston aspect of Butch. Even V has his own typical word, true? There is so much I love about J. R. Ward's writing that the tiny blips stand out more drmatically. Like Butch's "Baby", her attempts at old-fashioned language don't quite work for me either. But, as I said, I love so much else about her writing that I'm more than willing to give her a pass on the other stuff--you feel me?

Heather Well, I am bored and bred in Boston and the only person I call "baby" is my 6 year old daughter. My 10 year old is too old to be called it and I call my husband honey or babe or something.

Leslie So true! I got tired of Rhage and all his Mary's! Also V's trues as well.
Love the books though.

Sharon I know what y'all mean with the baby. In my profession I get called baby A LOT! By men and women if you can believe that...I don't know if it's a southern thing or what but yeah it gets a little old at times. Rhage's book was one of my favorites but yeah he could have called her honey, sweetie, hey you anything but Mary at least once in a while!

Sharon Heather wrote: "Well, I am bored and bred in Boston and the only person I call "baby" is my 6 year old daughter. My 10 year old is too old to be called it and I call my husband honey or babe or something."

He he I call my husband booby....he doesn't mind til we get in public.

Beatrice Personally... Yes, he used it definitely too many times.

I noticed this about Ward's novels - that when she "likes" something, she won't change it even once. Some things are just not plausible. Did you notice that every computer in the series was a Dell? That the only references to software were Microsoft related? Then there are those damn awful "shitkickers"... They really are getting on my nerves!

However, I love the series so much I really don't care about all those things. Even if it would be nice to see some plausible variety here and there.

On the "baby" thing... I'm Italian, and obviously English is not my first language. I never quite understood how something like "baby" could be a term of endearment... I really wouldn't want to be called that.
If I wanted to address sweetly to my boyfriend, terms I'd use in Italian would translate loosely in "treasure", "darling", "my love" or, if I'm feeling extra-sweet, "angel of mine". That's it.
There are terms that were in use some 30 years ago, but they make me cringe and I seriously don't want to write them... Ugh...

Lopita Heather wrote: "I thought he used it quite a lot and I'm also a little tired of the word "shitkickers" lol"

me too I think it is silly and make the book sounds a little cheesy

message 10: by V (new) - rated it 3 stars

V Dixon I think this is most likely the meeting of all the cultures Ward is putting into the Brotherhood's life. There is the urban aspect, ie., the rap music with its heavy beats and bass, V's use of true, shitkickers to convey that these are more durable than regular Timberlands, Butch's baby is definitely a cultural thing that I despise(not to piss off any Black people but this is a term black men like to use as much if not more than Butch). As for Rhage's using Mary's name, I prefer this and since he battles keeping his beast in check maybe saying her name reminds the beast who she is to Rhage. No one mention Zsadist calling Bella Nalla then naming their daughter Nalla.

Shannon It gets old but the books ate still good

Tabby i actually feel like their endearments and little catch phrases (true, ya feel me, etc) are what makes the characters stand out on their own. otherwise they would all mostly be the same. yes the repetitiveness (if thats a word) does get a bit old, but the words themselves are part of what makes this vamp series different from all the others. i mean, what other vamps do you know that use words like "shitkickers", "true?", and "ya feel me?"? and the whole "baby" issue with butch...you have to remember he grew up as a human and that is a phrase humans use as an endearment. and rhage using mary's name so much...i think the beast comment is a good point. plus he knew there was a chance of her dying so maybe the use of her name constantly was a way for him to feel closer to her.. especially since before her, he likely never bothered with females' names and even if he did, they meant nothing to him and maybe he singled mary's name out to let her (and maybe his beast as well) know it was different with her. whatever the reasons, i love this series too much to let something as trivial as repetitive phrases get in my way of enjoying it.

message 13: by Ida (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ida the "baby" word in this book annoys me! I dunno but everytime Butch uses it it sounds like a taunt or something

DeLeetra Staley I am from down south and "baby" or "suga" is what we call southern hospitality. I use it all the time and its funny I never noticed that Butch used it so much I guess because it is natural to me. I also use "true" and "ya feel me" so much I never noticed those in abundance in the story either. I would say if it is how you speak everyday you don't notice but I did get tired of "shitkickers" not everyday vocabulary.
Wow maybe I need some new words to use LOL

Brandi I thought I would chime in on this one. I, myself, agree...and disagree to a point. There are some times in some of the books where I'm like "OMG find a different endearment!" But, like DeLeetra said, I'm from Oklahoma and I tend to call everybody hun lol. The other catch phrases, I absolutely love like 'true' and 'ya feel me'. Like someone else said earlier, it gives each of the brothers their own personality. It makes them stand out more and let 'robotic' like some authors tend to get in a habit of doing with their characters. Pretty soon all their heroes sound and act the same. With Ward, each one has their own thing that separates them from the whole and makes them stand out, at least in my opinion, and that includes specific phrases that I've come to associate with them. I almost always find myself smiling when I see them when I read the books.

message 16: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Nov 13, 2012 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I think the one that stood out to me in this series is "Shitkickers" every time I read it I would laugh cos I would actually get a visual of their boots kicking shit. This would distract me from the flow of the story a bit. Obviously.
So now when I see it I just automatically replace that word with boots.

Anna  (Bananas!) I love "baby." It's a very sweet term of endearment imo. However, anything overused gets annoying.

Shitkickers! Why the hell can't she call them boots, like EVER?

message 18: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Nov 13, 2012 06:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Yeah Anna, or just not mention what's on their feet at all, if she can't just say "boots". I think we all know that when they go out, they're not going out bare foot.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Kage no Hikari wrote: "Did anyone else feel as if Butch used the word "baby" entirely too much? Honestly, the man could give the word a rest."

I totally agree! i actually hate that word when its written OR spoken so good call!

Francine I agree, especially because he though she was such a stand up girl when he met her (after he occused her of being a hooker), I know I wouldnt call someone I just met baby, or any kind of endeerment right off the bat.

I love Wrath's Leelan and Zsadist's Nala and I love that they named their daughter Nala.

Gypsi Babii Kage no Hikari wrote: "Did anyone else feel as if Butch used the word "baby" entirely too much? Honestly, the man could give the word a rest."

Do people still use that word.. I though "baby" died in the 80's with dirty dancing

Francine Gypsi Babii wrote: "Kage no Hikari wrote: "Did anyone else feel as if Butch used the word "baby" entirely too much? Honestly, the man could give the word a rest."

Do people still use that word.. I though "baby" died..."

I call my sons baby, much to their dismay.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Hubby calls me baby ALOT in many different contexts too *giggles* or he calls me Mama. He speaks my name when he's ticked though. I call him baby sometimes too. He called me "Leelan" one day and I choked on my juice LOL

Gypsi Babii @ Francine . no son wants to be called baby.

@Princess .. I know you did.. I bet you could not stop smiling allday after that one.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Gypsi Babii wrote:

@Princess .. I know you did.. I bet you could not stop smiling allday after that one."

True. My face was kinda hurting after I was done smiling.

message 26: by Aisha (last edited Apr 28, 2013 07:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aisha Oh.. my god... I abhor when she writes ...
"What's doing?" What the hell is that shit? I don't even know where that hails from. I mean is she trying to say "What it do?" which is Ebonics slang... (also hated by me) But it drives me bat shit nuts I'm like for real?! And ok so the guys all talk like they are semi retarded, but the women speak perfectly good English and complete sentences. Leaves me wondering were all the brothers raised by wolves? And the most civilized and well spoken of the groups is the one who lived the worst life ever.... come on! oh wait...insert TRUE!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Aisha wrote: "Oh.. my god... I abhor when she writes ...
"What's doing?" What the hell is that shit? I don't even know where that hails from. I mean is she trying to say "What it do?" which is Ebonics slang...."

i totally agree! its the little trues and digs and other random odd words stuck into perfectly normal sentances that annoy me terribly. i ean they arent part of a street game!!!!

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I kinda like the "What's doing" slang. Depending on the context of why it's being said it basically means what's going on, what's happening, is everything alright? So I think it's kinda funny or endearing in a way.

Karma Queen ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ wrote: "I kinda like the "What's doing" slang. Depending on the context of why it's being said it basically means what's going on, what's happening, is everything alright? So I think it's kinda funny or en..."

I agree. That does not really bother me. It's part of the Brothers' vernacular. I would not be upset if I ran into one of them and they asked me "What's doing?" Princess Nhya and I will be happy to do all the listening so that no ears are offended. :0)

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Hahha! Right Colleen although if the Brothers are talkin to me, don't trust me to be payin attention to the actual words coming out of their mouths ;D

message 31: by Chaya (new)

Chaya Gornish ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ wrote: "Hahha! Right Colleen although if the Brothers are talkin to me, don't trust me to be payin attention to the actual words coming out of their mouths ;D"

I agree 1000000%!

Muttix Onlymuttix I think it may be a regional thing. I live in the South and (so far as I know as I've only just finished Lover Revealed and am operating off the author info at the back) so does she. It's common here for significant others to call each other 'baby'.

That said, as he's supposed to be from Boston if the vernacular doesn't ring true to those born and bred there, it might have been better caught by editors and such.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Feige wrote: "Aisha wrote: "Oh.. my god... I abhor when she writes ...
"What's doing?"...
eh not so bad. not good or bad really. there are worse phrases....just wondering...do u think she talks like this?

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I don't think Ward talks like them per se, but I know she cusses like them. Like alot. Woman has a potty mouth. Seen it in action, well on video in many of her book tours/signings.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

huh well good to know it was just a random thought of mine. But the cursing doesnt bother me but if you talk like they talk...wow. It would be weird having a conversation it would be like "are you doing it on purpose?"

message 36: by Muttix (last edited May 08, 2013 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Muttix Onlymuttix I like that she curses. A book can draw me in with a well placed $%^&anytime.

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Muttix wrote: "I like that she curses. A book can draw me in with a well placed $%^&anytime."

I like it too in the books cos given the world and what occurs within it, its very realistic. So, that doesn't bother me. I was just kinda surprised that she really talks like that when talking to her fans and what not.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Eh cursing doesnt bother me either. it is realistic because most people do talk like that (approval/disapproval not commenting here). But the weirdish street talk i dont think she really talks like that.

Jessica YES. I didn't care for Butch and his personality. Yes, he definitely used the word "baby" too much. His story was probably my least favorite out of all of them.

Muttix Onlymuttix I'd kind of brushed it off before as the weird way that this world talks. But after reading this thread, it jumped out at me every time she used something odd. Not saying it bothered me but I noticed how much she did it and can see how it would be bothersome if I found it annoying.

Trish Leger I'm with the southerners here, a well-placed, baby, honey, sha', or any others does not tarnish a novel for me. BUT, since I hear that every day, that's more than likely the reason for that! :)

I like the vernaculars they use, to me it distances them from the other characters specifically, so they aren't all one lump version of BDB male.

And ya'll are correct, she does have a potty mouth in person! Very much so! Her and Nora Robert's share that characteristic...

message 42: by Mare (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mare Heather wrote: "I thought he used it quite a lot and I'm also a little tired of the word "shitkickers" lol"

Very tired of shitkickers...
True

message 43: by Del (new) - rated it 3 stars

Del The ultimate worst for me is 'Baby Girl' which Qhuinn calls Layla (twice!!) in Lover Reborn.

I can't stand that endearment.

Gypsi Babii Desiree wrote: "The ultimate worst for me is 'Baby Girl' which Qhuinn calls Layla (twice!!) in Lover Reborn.

I can't stand that endearment."

it is a dirty old man word.lol

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Lover Revealed (other topics)