Q&A with Stacia Kane discussion

Question on book six

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments I have read that if these next two books don't sell well than the series is over? I was wondering if that is true and if so does that mean the book six that is being written won't be published??????????? I am refusing to borrow the books to my friends instead insisting they purchase them and so far I have had about four friends buy them and LOVE them. I will keep working on people hahahahahahahahahahhahaa

message 2: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Kane (staciakane) | 157 comments Mod
Hi Emily,

It is essentially true, yes. If books in a series don't do well, publishers won't contract further books; that's just the way the business goes. This is why pre-orders are so important. Some series that don't do very well find their bookstore orders shrink, which means readers will have a hard time finding the book on the shelves; for some series it becomes basically a situation where if you don't pre-order the book and thus let the stores know there's interest, you won't be able to buy it except online. And when that happens a series is all but dead, really.

Book six is only contracted in the UK right now, but that could change. And hopefully I'll have more information in another month or so. In the meantime, thanks so much for talking about the series!

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments Thanks for the response. I just preordered Chasing Magic because I hadn't yet :)

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments I pre-ordered both when I first read the whole series ... In September ... think I am a little hooked?

Stacia, as soon as ANYTHING is available for pre-order, let me know. I don't even need to know what it is about. Lol! I am addicted!

And if you need me to start promoting the series, I will do what I can! :-) Send me a pdf of a poster and I will paper the town!

I swear to *whatever one swears to* that if they dont contract you for book 6 in the states I will FLOOD whomever I need to with emails, snail mail, phone calls, etc.

I joined the Downside Army ... and I will fight for this series! :-)

*gets down off her soapbox*

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments Laura wrote: "I pre-ordered both when I first read the whole series ... In September ... think I am a little hooked?

Stacia, as soon as ANYTHING is available for pre-order, let me know. I don't even need to kno..."

Darn Right Laura! I joined the Downside Army and I WILL fight for this series too. I fight for Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read the first three books in January and have been harassing my friends! As I said I got four of them to read the books and am working on three more ;0 I am seriously asking them EVERY couple days.........don't be surprised if I get a restraining order put on me ;)

message 6: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Haha, when I read them I hardcore harassed bf to read them "right now",I was so persistent that she stopped in the middle of her current read to visit Downside. I've taken to loaning my paperback UG to folks just to get them hooked, It's working! Aaand, once you get a taste, ya just HAVE TO get your own copies! Mwahaha

I'm a good little foot soldier, pusher, lol, whatever!

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments Sarah wrote: "Haha, when I read them I hardcore harassed bf to read them "right now",I was so persistent that she stopped in the middle of her current read to visit Downside. I've taken to loaning my paperback ..."

See i'm not even that nice. I just told them to go out and buy it. That got their attention because I always borrow books to them but I refused to borrow my books to them. I just said do it........you WON'T be sorry and they weren't ;)

Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) (TheBookNympho) Laura wrote: "I pre-ordered both when I first read the whole series ... In September ... think I am a little hooked?

Stacia, as soon as ANYTHING is available for pre-order, let me know. I don't even need to kno..."

Yeah, what she said. I totally agree!

message 9: by Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) (last edited Mar 23, 2012 10:47AM) (new)

Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) (TheBookNympho) I bought:

Unholy Ghosts
Nook & Audio book

Unholy Magic
Audio (will be get for Nook too)

City of Ghosts
Audio (will be get for Nook too)

Sacrificial Magic (read through Netgalley)
pre-order for Nook and if it's available I'll get the audio as well

Chasing Magic (reading through Netgalley)
will pre-order SOON

I love this series so much that I have to have it in audio and ebook. LOL

I have a book friend that I swap books with and I even let her borrow my Nook from time to time.
But I'm thinking of gifting her Unholy Ghosts for her Kindle since it's only 99 cents. I've told her that it was a really good series. To help with sales I just might gift the whole series to her. LOL

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments How do you gift in Kindle? I want to do that to my friend. Once she reads it she will be HOOKED!

Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) (TheBookNympho) Emily wrote: "How do you gift in Kindle? I want to do that to my friend. Once she reads it she will be HOOKED!"

There is a button under the buy button that says gift this. After you hit that it takes you to another screen where you put in their email address and name.

You can also now gift ebooks to Nook users on B&N site. Same thing. Just hint the give as a gift button.

message 12: by Stacia (new)

I really don't know how to thank you, guys. I'm really touched. I appreciate it more than you know.

Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) (TheBookNympho) Stacia wrote: "I really don't know how to thank you, guys. I'm really touched. I appreciate it more than you know."

It's the least we can do. You give us such great characters in return.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) wrote: "Emily wrote: "How do you gift in Kindle? I want to do that to my friend. Once she reads it she will be HOOKED!"

There is a button under the buy button that says gift this. After you hit that it ta..."

I did it! I gifted the first one too her HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Thanks.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments Oh good idea! I may gift this to everyone I know. LOL!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments Oh and Stacia, you are most welcome. It is the least we can do, for giving us these characters that we all seem to connect with and seem so real. They are so unique, and I personally might be sick if it were "cancelled".

message 17: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments you might be sick? lol, I think it'll be pandemic.

But that won't happen, we simply won't let it ;)

YAY for book 6!!!!

message 18: by Allison (new)

Allison (AAH92) | 2 comments I didn't know you could gift Kindle books! I am SO doing that, I've been trying to figure out how to do something like this!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments I just went to the bookstore near my house, and they didn't have SM in stock, so I asked them to order it for me! :-)

I am going to have to hunt down copies of the other 3! I need them all in paperback & Kindle!

message 20: by Stacia (new)

Thanks Laura!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments Np! Also, if SM comes out in audio book, let us know. I already have the first three in both audio and e-books, and searching out paperback ... I need a complete collection! :-)

message 22: by Stacia (new)

It will be, I just don't know when. I'll announce as soon as I do. :-)

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments The Barnes and Noble in Mankato has four copies of Sacrificial Magic and I preordered Chasing Magic from them ;)

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura Carson (LauraRCarson) Ok, I never really realized the importance to an author/publisher of pre-ordering. So, needless to say, just pre-ordered Chasing Magic :)

message 25: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (JennetheInstigator) | 6 comments I never realized the importance of pre-ordering either, I will pre-order Chasing Magic today too!

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (DyslexicSquirrel) | 21 comments I pre-ordered Chasing Magic a couple days ago. I own several versions of the first three books (kindle, print and audio on the first two; kindle and print on the third) and I'd pre-ordered SM back in august. XD

message 27: by catherine (new)

catherine james (catherinejames) Okay, my copy of Chasing Magic is now pre-ordered over at Barnes & Noble.

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments Okay I have seriously harassed numerous people into buying these books. They have all ordered Chasing Magic now. Please tell me my work paid off and we get a book six! hahahahahahahaha

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily | 110 comments Is Book six contracted in the United States? If so is their an estimate of a publication date? I am starting to panic! We get CM in June and then.................blank..............OMG What will I do????????????????????/

message 30: by Gems (new)

Gems | 10 comments As a huge downside fan I obviously want the rest of the series to continue! Does anyone know if it matters if you order kindle or paperback? Does it effect the preorders? I think I may have read somewhere that it only counts on paperback orders?! This seems strange with the increasing popularity of ebooks?
Also, as I live in the UK book depository do a release at same time as US, does it matter if I preorder this copy or is it better to order on UK release date?
Sorry for all the questions & hope someone can enlighten me!! :) thank you!!

message 31: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (DyslexicSquirrel) | 21 comments As far as I'm aware, ALL sales count, whether they're paperback or ebook, pre-ordered or bought on release day.

message 32: by Sarah (SB) ღ (new)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments I thought it was the whole release week?

message 33: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (DyslexicSquirrel) | 21 comments Yes, sorry, that was an error on my part. XD

message 34: by Tizroc (new)

Tizroc | 1 comments I tend listen to a lot of audio books. It is a shame that Audible doesn't offer pre-orders. This series is worth it and I will add my vote to assist in the future of your creative adventure.

If you end up going on your own with your books, I suggest looking into what TA Pratt did with his Marla mason series.. at least the assistance with the Kickstarter program.

Thank you for the hours and hours and enjoyment.

message 35: by Stacia (new)

Yes, ALL sales count. Release week is nice, but it's really only important for stuff like lists; steady sales matter, too.

Thanks, Tizroc. I'm really not comfortable with the Kickstarter concept, but I do find it interesting. :-)

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽  | 28 comments i thought i saw on the other thread that there will be a book 6? is that right? i know at the beginning of this thread it does say in the UK...??

message 37: by Mona (new)

Mona Bliss (MissBlissReads) | 75 comments ❀ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ❀ wrote: "i thought i saw on the other thread that there will be a book 6? is that right? i know at the beginning of this thread it does say in the UK...??"

I think Stacia said that she might try to self publish Book Six if it didn't get picked up. I hope it gets picked up, but if not, I hope she'll get it out to those of us who would buy it in any format...usually all formats.

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽  | 28 comments ok thanks for clearing that up Mona.

unread topics | mark unread