Steampunk, New Weird, Bizarro, Scifi, Fantasy Book Group discussion

The Parasol Protectorate: Soulless, Blameless, and Changeless
This topic is about The Parasol Protectorate
Steampunk > The Parasol Protectorate- Gail Carriger

Comments (showing 1-50 of 102) (102 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Chakara (last edited Mar 29, 2012 03:09PM) (new)

Chakara | 1346 comments Mod
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger Heartless (The Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger

Hi all I am going to go ahead and put this up. The official start date us on April 1 2012 but those who would like to begin a bit early may do so.

As I have stated before you may read and discuss any book in the series. Please mark spoilers. I will do an example ASAP.

Hey all here are a few things to keep in mind while reading and kinda help guide the discussions feel free to discuss anything else your would like to about the book as well. As always mark any spoilers that may ruin the plot for others if you are not using a spoiler link make sure the add to my updated feed is unchecked so that your friends dont accidently read a spoilers. :)

What was unique about the setting of the book and how did it enhance or take away from the story?

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader?

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

In what ways do the events in the books reveal evidence of the author's world view?

Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why did you feel that way? Did this lead to a new understanding or awareness of some aspect of your life you might not have thought about before?

Example:

Soulless
Up to page 10

Text here

If it is just general and doesn't give anything away you may not need to mark your post any further than this. If it gives away anything that might be considered spoilers. Please mark them as so. There are two ways to do this
Just type SPOILER leave a few spaces and then say what you wanted. Another way which will block your spoiler is done like this
< spoiler > Text here spoiler > once you leave the spaces out it will become a link that can be clicked on by the viewer to see the information.

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) This is a great series. I didn't vote to read it, simply because I've already READ all 4 of the books. And Gail has announced that Alexa's story is finished with the publication of the fourth book. However, she plans on continuing the series, just from one of the other characters view-point, but she hasn't indicated which character yet.

I love, love, LOVE Alexa, and Lord Maccon (head of the London were-wolf clan--and hence one of the most important were-wolves in the world) is a worthy match for her. Plus the other characters are ssoo much fun.

Gail also loves giving her characters weird (and I do mean WEIRD) names. Ivy Hisselpenny is one of the milder ones, as an example. Ivy also just happens to be Alexa's best friend.

really GREAT series, you all are in for a treat.

Soulless
Up to Chapter 2

So far it's pretty good but I felt like the first chapter didn't really have any movement. It was just the same thing for the 20 + pages.

Carolyn F. | 22 comments I love the books too, had me laughing (and crying sometimes) through all of the books. One of my favorite series.

Carla | 2 comments I went ahead and started this book thinking I was going to need the extra time to finish, whoa I was wrong! I loved it. Such great characters, with interesting quirkiness. Excited to see what everyone else thinks.

Donald Armfield | 81 comments I started reading first book. I'm on page 136
Hope it doesn't turn into romance . She is ranting with her friend about the kiss

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) Well Donald--it sort of does/sort of doesn't. But the romance is used very adroitly to help drive the series. And the interactions between Alexa and Lord Maccon are just too funny.

Donald wrote: "I started reading first book. I'm on page 136
Hope it doesn't turn into romance . She is ranting with her friend about the kiss"

Hi Donald's please list the book you are on a
Ong with the page numbers since this is a series it will help us all keep track also don't forget to warn before spoilers :).
I also don't wish to read another crazy romance and haven't made it past chapter one .

Janean C | 3 comments I had already read the first book and just went through the 2nd and 3rd this week. Got to get my hands on Heartless!

Donald Armfield | 81 comments Soulless page 220

Enjoying the action scenes but needs more. Ill finish this before the 1st.
So I have Boneshaker in my possession so may jump over to that discussion.

Donald wrote: "Soulless page 220

Enjoying the action scenes but needs more. Ill finish this before the 1st.
So I have Boneshaker in my possession so may jump over to that discussion."

Donald I find that this book doesn't have alot of action/movement. I also find that I get a slight anoyance with the main character and some fo the side characters that I have met this far. I would discuss which characters in a spoiler link but I cant remember their names at the time. Thanks for letting us know which book you are on and the page number . :)

Harpal Singh | 22 comments Ive read the first 3 books, because they were on a special offer at waterstone, the cashier did give me funny look because the books were in the YA section and the covers didn't help.
I enjoyed them, pretty fast and fun read.

Victoria (vikz writes) (VixtoriaVikzwrites) I read the books as they were published. So, my memory of the first is a bit vague. But, the whole series was a fun read.

Frances (FrancesAB) Soulless-page 198

This is a really fun series-as a lover of Victorian literature and a fan of fantasy I am enjoying this mash-up of the two genres. I find Alexia to be a bit too modern for a Victorian young lady SPOILER ALERT (so forward and outspoken, her exceedingly quick response to Lord Maccon's advances and her discussing them in explicit detail with her best friend, her questions to Lyall about pack etiquette) but perhaps this is a feature of soullessness. I am also quite intrigued by having a heroine without a soul-generally heroines are either "normal" or "enhanced" in some way (they are the vampire or werewolf or have SUPERnatural powers), not lacking in some fundamental quality. I am looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Frances wrote: "Soulless-page 198

This is a really fun series-as a lover of Victorian literature and a fan of fantasy I am enjoying this mash-up of the two genres. I find Alexia to be a bit too modern for a Victo..."

High frances post your spoilers a little bit under ur alert to give people time to realize whats going on. All u need to do is place your cursorright after ALERT and press the enter key atleast three times.
You can press the edit button directly under your post to go back into it otherwise this is great .

I also agree that i like she is a different type of supernatural :) prob one of the things i find most intresting about the novel. Im so not a romance driven pkot type of girl but i am moving along in the book.

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

Up to chapter 3 (nook)

It has a small cinderlla like feel to it. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Donald (last edited Mar 29, 2012 02:03PM) (new)

Donald Armfield | 81 comments Soulless page 273

OK save the good stuff for last. I'm really starting to like it now.
Should I read the next installment? No Spoiler but definitely going to get changeless in this month.

Hey all here are a few things to keep in mind while reading and kinda help guide the discussions feel free to discuss anything else your would like to about the book as well. As always mark any spoilers that may ruin the plot for others if you are not using a spoiler link make sure the add to my updated feed is unchecked so that your friends dont accidently read a spoilers. :)

What was unique about the setting of the book and how did it enhance or take away from the story?

What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader?

Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?

In what ways do the events in the books reveal evidence of the author's world view?

Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable? If so, why did you feel that way? Did this lead to a new understanding or awareness of some aspect of your life you might not have thought about before?

Carla | 2 comments The Parasol Protectorate: Soulless, Blameless, and Changeless Page 537 (book 3 Blameless)

My first thoughts about what was overdone and not too believable was the family dynamics compared to how they react in a couple of interesting moments.

I felt like the author spent alot of focus making Alexia different then all the others around her. Theme being she is the outcast even amongst her friends and collegues.

The character that seemed to change and grow or just became more apparent to me was Prof. Lyall who has become quite a dynamic character.

Anybody doing the audiobooks just requested book two in audio from the library.

Donald Armfield | 81 comments I finished the first book. Can't say it was a favorite.
KINDA SPOILER ALERTS

PLOT: Vampire paperwork, Supernaturals and Preternatural. I like the preternatural ability. To drain power was always one of my favorites. 5 stars
LOVE/ROMANCE: Not my favorite part of book. I can be romantic, but ain't my cup of tea to read about it. 2 stars
CHARACTERS: My two favorites Miss Tarabotti cuz her ability is kick ass. And Lyall a little bit of a brown noser but he seems like an adventurous Guy.
OVERALL: I may read other books on a later date, but no rush.

Mary | 1 comments I love this series. I read the first three in Feb/ early March and I have the last two. I didn't consider these YA, I guess because the characters are older. Alexia is considered a spinster and I don't think it's mentioned until the third book that she's actually the ripe old age of 26 in Soulless.

Maybe it's been done before, I don't know, but the concept of having no soul or excess soul and that determining whether you could have an afterlife was new to me and I was very intrigued. I think the setting very much enhances the book because it's where the humor comes from. I love that killing or being attacked is handled nonchalantly but bad manners and dressing improperly are inexcusable.

No i never thought of these as ya either. They are adult.

The mystery element just kicked in im enjoying it much more now.

Victoria (vikz writes) (VixtoriaVikzwrites) Chakara wrote: "No i never thought of these as ya either. They are adult.

The mystery element just kicked in im enjoying it much more now."

Agree, can't get my head around the fact that some people think that it is ya

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got the book, but I won't have time to read it for a few weeks. However I love her writing style already. Sucked in from page 1. Thanks for introducing me to this writer and this series of books!

Rachael | 5 comments Started the book a few days ago. Liking it so far. The humor is good. I do like how Alexia is described as being very outspoken for her "sensibilities." Like woman are not supposed to know about certain things or speak of them so I really like that she does and finds it entertaining how others react.

Victoria (vikz writes) (VixtoriaVikzwrites) Rachael wrote: "Started the book a few days ago. Liking it so far. The humor is good. I do like how Alexia is described as being very outspoken for her "sensibilities." Like woman are not supposed to know about ce..."

I really liked Alexia. She is a funny, eccentric, likeable, character. I really enjoyed being in her company.

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) Hey, everyone loves Cinderella, right? That is at least part of Alexa's appeal. And the side-kick characters are just great too. The sisters are just too vapid for words, but watching them get out-manouvered by Alexia is also a lot of fun.

I was one of the "early" converts to Gail's series, since I believe that I pre-ordered this book back when it first came out. I even have that copy autographed by Gail. :o) So I've enjoyed her world for several years now, and consider the various inhabitants as friends.

Janean C | 3 comments I think I've avoided spoilers but proceed with caution.

This series is my first venture into ‘steampunk’ literature. My familiarity with Victorian England comes largely from historical novels and mysteries. As such, the series setting generally was familiar to me but the inclusion of the sci-fi elements completely altered the landscape for me. The possibilities these two elements combined open up are fantastic. I’m in love with just that component!
As far as this series specifically goes, overall I really enjoyed it. Having said that, there are characters that work for me and characters that don’t, Alexia being an example of one that does and Miss Hisselpenny being one that does not. Alexia is to my mind is an ultra modern character even her ability while ancient is so rare that it comes across as radical. She’s a feminist, she’s a physical anomaly for the time and culture but very typical of today’s woman, and her intellect lends itself to a sense of equality and pragmatism. In contrast, Miss Hisselpenny is vapid and largely pointless the degree to which her character has been developed (even by the 3rd book) suggests to me she’s just filler.

Through out the series it seems to me the only character who does no changing is Alexia. She compromises to some degree with her husband but that doesn’t strike me as a change in her character so much as it seems to me she engages with him as an equal (unless she’s pissed). Meanwhile, the most ancient of characters within the book vampires, werewolves and humans alike are repeatedly compelled to grow.
An important though not central theme in this series is that of sexuality. Not just gender, that is central, rather the series brings up female sexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality and interspecies sexuality (which in today’s world would be intercultural or interracial). And in each instance, even if there are those that give pause or violently disagree with ‘other’ orientations there has not been even a suggestion that those characters are going to change. Rather, the world around them is going to adjust which to my mind is promotion of equality and tolerance which I admire.

Janean wrote: "I think I've avoided spoilers but proceed with caution.

This series is my first venture into ‘steampunk’ literature. My familiarity with Victorian England comes largely from historical novels an..."

Great insight i love reading something more specific than u like it or dont. Hope to finish the book this week myself then ill have more to say lol.

Violet | 5 comments I'm really enjoying this series do far. I took some issue with how in the first book there are some random perspective change for only a paragraph, which was quite confusing without since there wasn't any page breaks to indicate them. In the second book she fixed this problem, and I think Soulless was one of her very first books so it's forgivable.

SPOILER ALERT: for first and 1/2 of second book

WMG (wild mass guessing [although I don't think that it's that wild]):
Finishing the second book I knew (or at least I'm pretty sure) that there was going to be babies by the end of the series. Which would totally make sense since technically Conall is human when they are having "relations". Also the Potenate seems to expect this as he asked Alexia about "stomach ailments", which she starts having on the airship. In the morning only.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Right, I finally have time to read it! I'll be back to comment when I've read more...

Alexis (trips) | 10 comments I just started reading but oh my! am I excited!
I just wanted to say that I just met Lord Akeldama and I can already tell he's going to be one of my absolute favorite characters, even if we never see him again (which I doubt since he's already such a strong character).

Just one question, does the duo of Maccon and Lyall seem reminiscent of Sherlock and Dr. Watson to any one else?

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Isn't her writing style delightful to read? And yes to the duo S & DW thing. Alexia is such a great character too.

Alexis (trips) | 10 comments Georgina wrote: "Isn't her writing style delightful to read? And yes to the duo S & DW thing. Alexia is such a great character too."

It is most certainly delightful! I just finished. I couldn't put it down. I guess I'm lucky I'm a quick reader.

I absolutely loved the way every thing was so bright and witty, even when the situation the characters found themselves in was quite the opposite. I admire Alexia's ability to always let her temper and sharp tongue get the better of her common sense. It made the story much more interesting.

(view spoiler)

Also, I have to say I've never read a book with a character who had a name so close to my own. I kept cringing when I saw it. I used to get called Alexia or Alexa a lot by my teachers in school.

Frances (FrancesAB) Alexis wrote: "I just started reading but oh my! am I excited!
I just wanted to say that I just met Lord Akeldama and I can already tell he's going to be one of my absolute favorite characters, even if we never s..."

re Maccon/Lyall as Holmes and Watson-they do seem somewhat similar although in this case Lyall comes across as the more intelligent one-they seem more of a brains and brawn pairing to me.

Update for Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger ive reached the climax of the book howeverwhat should not take me long is taking for ever i find it really slow paced just like the beginning was for me . Four more chapters to go until i can give my complete opinion of the book. So even if i dont finish today then it will be finished bytomorrow.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished it. Loved it. I've ordered in the next one.

Georgina wrote: "Finished it. Loved it. I've ordered in the next one."

Would love for you to explain your likes or dislikes fav charcters and whatnot. It willhelp the discussion.

message 40: by Chakara (last edited Apr 07, 2012 12:19PM) (new)

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail CarrigerFinished the book as well. I gave it 4 starts mostly for the uniquness and i did find myself laughing at some points. Im glad that alexia s mother is getting what she deserves. My favorite character by far would have to be between floote and lord Alkadema :). He reminds me alot of Mangus fromMortal Insturments . I diskiked the pacing in a few places and i did find myself skipping over some of the discriptions such as of food and clothing. This may be because i have studied history of fashion in school and am familiar with how it looks so i didnt need the extra discriptions.

I have also gotten the next two books on audio from the library so i will post here once i get into them. Now off to finish Boneshaker. :)

GlenK | 4 comments I'm afraid I'm having problems getting through this book as there doesn't seem to be any forward movement to the plot. The characters talk endlessly but I don't know who they are or what the world they inhabit looks like. I'll finish it for sure but the other two in the series hold no interest.

GlenK wrote: "I'm afraid I'm having problems getting through this book as there doesn't seem to be any forward movement to the plot. The characters talk endlessly but I don't know who they are or what the world ..."

Had the same prob. I tried to visualize it as one of those comedy romance movies that have that sarcastic humor orvsomething like mr and mrs smith the movie but in victorian england.

Book gets a little better as you go and the whole thing is predictable

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 07, 2012 02:42PM) (new)

I'm back to elaborate. I gave this book 5 stars. I found it to be a very enjoyable book. I thought that the characters and writing style were delightful. The plot is not overly original or surprising, but it was satisfying enough, given all the positives.

Alexia is such a feisty character. I loved the way she responds to each new situation, aware of her own failings but charging on ahead anyway. Lord Alkadema is also one of my favourite characters, personally I'd be hanging out at his place everyday. The Alpha Lord Maccon was great too. He acts and thinks like a pack animal. I thought that very well done.

I thought the writer did exceptionally well with the characters in general. The dialogue and actions of each character ring true, giving them greater depth.

The descriptions are lovely, building enough of a world for me to visualise. Perhaps there could have been more, but it didn't leave me wanting.

The concept of the over-excess of soul is great and original. So too the need for that over-excess in order to survive the metamorphosis.

The least satisfying part for me would have to be the scientists. Not disappointing, just not as well realised.

I'm reading the next book in the series now (kindle edition--I love my kindle!).

I forgot about Boneshaker. I'll seek it out too.

:) Georgina.

GlenK wrote: "I'm afraid I'm having problems getting through this book as there doesn't seem to be any forward movement to the plot. The characters talk endlessly but I don't know who they are or what the world ..."

Also Glen if soulless is not for you and you just cant get through it you can check out boneshaker the piint for me picking first and second choice is to give everyone a choice of what they want to read. Some will read both others just one or the other or it just might not be their reading month and they wont read either thats okay too. I want everyone to enjoy this group and not feel like its work or a class.

Boneshaker is much more fast paced in my opinion and its also a series so if u like it u can continue .

Phil James | 3 comments I finished Soulless a little while ago, and waited until now to give my opinion... It was good in it's own way, but not for me.
Somebody coming from reading the supernatural romance genre would maybe find it deliciously irreverent and funny, but coming from another direction,I've long been a fan of Terry Pratchett.
He started out satirising the fantasy world, but it developed into a world where vampires, werewolves, people and even dwarves and trolls lived together, as "real" characters. eg. "Carpe Jugulum" -vampires
Gail Carriger has definitely got what it takes as a writer and I'd probably recommend her work to my daughter, but I don't think I'll bother with the other books.

Adam (Gilgemesh) | 3 comments Finished Soulless last night and I thought it was a very interesting plot conceit for a protagonist. Similar to some of the other posts I had a spot of trouble getting into the story, but once I got a handle on the writing style i found it to an enjoyable read. I am about 30% into book two now and find that the conflict created by seemingly mundane interactions is quite satisfying. The characters are layered and remain true to their motivations. I am looking forward to seeing how the grow and develop as the story moves along. Also, I'm a big fan of a four book trilogy.

GlenK | 4 comments Chakara wrote: "Also Glen if soulless is not for you and you just cant get through it you can check out boneshaker"

Am looking forward to Boneshaker and have it as next up following the completion of Soulless. Want to finish that one despite my problems with it.

Aaron (alazif) | 1 comments I love Carriger's sense of humor in Soulless, but romantic detail that goes on and on and on and on and etc. etc. is not my cup of tea at all. I'll probably not continue the series.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

The second book is more of a mystery/thriller.

Rachael | 5 comments I finished Soulless last night. I did buy the other books in the series and plan to read them through. I did enjoy the book although my tastes tend to fall within entertainment value. If you are looking for a deep plot with this book, it wasn't really there. Some of what I read, I call "mindless entertainment" where it does not require much thought to get through or think about. It just is.

« previous 1 3

Steampunk, New Weird, Bizarro, Scifi, Fantasy...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Soulless (other topics)
Changeless (other topics)
Blameless (other topics)
Heartless (other topics)
Timeless (other topics)
More...