Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

suggestions > Scottish Lore Fantasy

Comments (showing 1-12)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) I'm only 50 odd pages in, but I'll recommend Sir Walter Scott's The Miscellaneous Works Of Sir Walter Scott: Tales Of A Grandfather, History Of Scotland. It's very readable & quite interesting. I've read about MacBeth, Wallace & now Bruce. With folks like that, fantasy seems almost redundant.

So far, it seems quite factual. He points out that some of it is stories handed down, uses actual dates when available. Mostly, it's just a great read.

message 11: by Werner (new)

Werner Stephen Lawhead's Song of Albion trilogy has been mentioned a couple of times, and I can echo that recommendation, with the caveat that those books are quite violent in places. Both Lawhead and Charles de Lint often write Celtic-flavored fantasy; a good example of the latter's work along that line is The Harp of the Grey Rose. Also, in de Lint's A Handful of Coppers anthology, the story cycle featuring warrior Colum mac Donal is set in an alternate Dark Ages Ireland/Arthurian Britain in which magic works.

message 10: by Imperfectlyrua (new)

Imperfectlyrua Castle-Hackett | 7 comments Thanks for bringing up this topic I'm adding a bunch of these to my to read list.

message 9: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 12 comments Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have to add several of these to my "to read" list.

message 8: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (JRZYGRL75) | 2 comments I highly recommend the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. This is a time-travel romance.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

The books are:
Outlander
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes

message 7: by Kernos (new)

Kernos | 117 comments There is a wonderful historical fantasy trilogy by Juliet Marillier, the "Bridei Chronicles": The Dark Mirror, Blade of Fortrui, The Well of Shades.

It concerns the attempt of the pagan King of Caithness (called Fortriu) based on a real person to stave off attacks by Christian Gaels from the West and what will become the English from the south.

Like all of Marillier's books, superbly written and researched. Highly recommended.

Another trilogy, pure fantasy based on Welsh and Scots Gaelic mythology is Stephen Lawhead's "Song of Albion" trilogy.

And of course there is Bernard Cornwell's "Anglosaxon Chronicles" an historical fantasy taking place somewhat later than the above books. Uhtred, the protagonist thru the 4 books, is heir to a throne in Northern Northumbria.

Bill

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (ndoerrabbott) | 6 comments Post an email to Charles Stross with the question. He is Scottish:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-...

message 5: by Dov (new)

Dov | 10 comments You could also try Stephen R Lawhead : Song of Albion trilogy

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Dec 13, 2008 07:30AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I love Celtic Fantasy.
Some of my favorites are:
The Boudica series by Manda Scott, so well written I felt as if I were there watching events unfold before my eyes.
Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle
Dreaming the Bull
Boudica: Dreaming the Hound
Dreaming the Serpent Spear: Boudica 4

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. And the rest of her Avalon series

Circle of Stones by Anna Lee Waldo.

Other good books are:
Mary Stewart's Arthurian saga.The Crystal Cave
The Hollow Hills
The Last Enchantment
The Wicked Day

Finn Mac Cool by Morgan Llywelyn as well as her Druids, and Red Branch. I have Bard on my bookshelf and I'm sure it's as good as the rest of her work.
The Highlander series by Karen Moning
The White Raven by Diana L. PaxsonThe White Raven

My next series to read this month is The Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts.Morrigan's Cross
Also to read are: The Dalraida Trilogy by Jules WatsonThe White Mare: The Dalraida Trilogy and The Hallowed Isle by Diana L. PaxsonThe Hallowed Isle

message 3: by S.A. (new)

S.A. (SueRule) | 41 comments We...ll A lot of Shaihen Heritage is Celtic heritage. Music, feasting, whisky...and living in a mountainous northern kingdom....

Will that do? Shaihen Heritage Book 1: CLoak of Magic.

Book 2 Staff of Power comes out in January 2009.

http://www.shehaios.co.uk

Sue Rule
PS I sing quite a lot of Scottish folk songs, if it helps. When I'm stuck for a plot twist, I often refer back to some for inspiration, though I don't know if it shows.

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) Do the books of George MacDonald qualify?

message 1: by Sherri (last edited Dec 12, 2008 08:40AM) (new)

Sherri | 12 comments Can anyone suggest some good Scottish Lore Fantasy, or any Celtic Fantasy books. I'v read Caledon of the Mist by Deborah Turner Harris and and the Seven Waters Trilogy by Juliete Marillier. I'm looking for more along those lines.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dreaming the Eagle (other topics)
The White Mare (other topics)
Morrigan's Cross (other topics)
Dreaming the Bull (other topics)
Dreaming the Serpent Spear (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

George MacDonald (other topics)
Morgan Llywelyn (other topics)