Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Off Topic (not cookbooks) Chat > Vegan Meals on the Go: Work & School Lunches, Picnics, Travel, Etc.

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1838 comments Mod
Here's a thread for members to give members suggestions for what vegan foods/meals good to bring as work and school lunches, to bring on the road, to picnics, etc.

I got this idea because of a discussion that started in the members' introduction thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

Don (BayfrontGuy) | 1187 comments One of my favorite quickie lunches (and dinners) is a chickpea salad or "tuna-less" salad.

Smash a can of chickpeas using a potato masher or fork. Then proceed to make it like you would a tuna or egg salad. I like to add vegan mayo, a little dijon mustard, pickles, onions, and celery.

message 3: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (last edited Mar 16, 2012 03:06PM) (new)

Oh, I wanted to add that most vegan cookbooks either have sections for this kind of meal or at the very least have recipes that would work for this kind of meal, but the cookbooks I know of that are dedicated to meals on the go are:

Vegan Lunch Box: 130 Amazing, Animal-free Lunches Kids and Grown-ups Will Love!

Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!

Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal

Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road

Feel free to post more books in this thread if you know of any others.

Tim | 45 comments Thanks for the list, Lisa! I'll have to take a look at those.

Hilda Jorgensen | 48 comments I'm working on a few suggestions for this kind of meal in my next book. When I worked outside of home my favourite lunchbox meals were wraps with heaps of beans, maybe some hummus or another dip and some leafy greens, avocado on bread (just bring the avocado, a knife and some bread and cut it up right before serving - lemon juice and pepper are really nice on this). Salads with plenty of beans and some grains or croutons can also be good (I would pack the dressing in a separate container). Avocado and alfalfa sprouts are good in a wrap or sandwich too.

We have this one sometimes at home: http://triumphofthelentilblog.wordpre... but it is also suitable for preparing in advance.

message 6: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Hilda, I love chickpeas and gherkins together!

message 7: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Tim wrote: "Thanks for the list, Lisa! I'll have to take a look at those."

Tim, The sandwich book is coming out later this year, but the other three are available now.

message 8: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Oh, and if you key in the words vegan, lunches, work into google, all sorts of great pages come up.

The Vegan Lunch Box books author has a blog:

veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments how about hummus and cucumber sandwiches ?

Don, I like this idea of mashing up garbanzo beans from the can and then adding vegan mayo, etc, and making it like an egg salad. This sounds like something I can do!

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments I have IBS which makes wheat, gluten, dairy, and too many meat products really hard on my stomach. I also struggle with beans and certain fruit and veg. Lunch box food is super difficult but I like the following:

Peanut butter on rice cakes

Gluten free pasta and quinoa bake in a mediteranian veg sauce

Roasted peppers, courgette, aubergine and tomatoes with salad and salsa...maybe throw in some chick peas if you can eat them

Tortilla chips and salsa (or gluten free bread sticks)

Sliced fresh apricots dipped in chocolate soya pudding

message 11: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Jo, Thanks. Those ideas will also be helpful to other members here. You're not our only member who has food allergies and sensitivities.

the apricots in chocolate pudding would be making me really hungry right now if I hadn't eaten a huge lunch at a local vegan restaurant only a couple hours ago.

Tim | 45 comments Jo, I have IBS too.

You don't have a problem with rice cakes? I've had to stay away from them.

I usually end up with a hot lunch of some kind, most often carrot-ginger soup from The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!.

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo | 20 comments I didn't get a notification for this for some reason so I'm a little late! I can eat rice cakes but have no more than two per serving and don't eat them often. I also like corn cakes as they are thinner but have their own taste so not everything goes with them.

I am in a bit of a food rut at the moment.

message 14: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Jo, That's a drag. I hope you can increase your food variety soon.

message 15: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Tim and Jo, I have an autoimmune disease and I'm considering giving up wheat and sugar for a time to see if it helps at all. The vegan/no dairy I've already done. I'm not vegan for my health but it's possible I've helped it some. So much more is being learned. The last 10 years, even the last year.

message 16: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

I just found this page:

http://www.theveganwoman.com/what-do-...

And I know there are many gluten free breads available now for those who need them, and some are vegan. Just read the ingredients labels.