YA Book Council discussion

Official Selections > Catching Fire and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Jane (last edited Dec 15, 2008 10:59AM) (new)

Jane (janeg) | 248 comments Mod
Has anyone read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins yet? I heard people say it's going to be the next big thing. It's also on the NY Times Notable book list for children's category. I like the book a lot, but I'm honestly not sure about "next big thing." What do they mean by that anyway? Is it "next big thing" like "Harry Potter next big thing"?

SheWunders | 13 comments I've read it and I think it's great. A 5 star book. That said, I don't know if it has the commerical appeal to be a Harry Potter-like success.

By the "next big thing" I'm sure they're comparing it to HP & Twilight like success with release parties and massive preorders. I'm not sure HG has the strength to reach those levels, because the dystopian society just isn't appealing to the entire YA/Adult/Fantasy/Romance audiences.

Bianca (biancamaria) | 10 comments I've called up all the local bookstores and no one has Hunger Games in stock andnone of the libraries in my state own the book. I'll either have to buy it online or see if someone is willing to trade it with me.
I'm not sure how the swap/trade function works on goodreads, does anyone know how i can search for someone who has Hunger Games to trade?

message 4: by Jane (last edited Dec 14, 2008 08:39PM) (new)

Bianca wrote: "I've called up all the local bookstores and no one has Hunger Games in stock and none of the libraries in my state own the book..."

That's so sad! I just looked to see if there's an amazon.com for Australia and there isn't. I don't know how to use the trade function. I couldn't even find an icon for the option. Maybe no one has one to swap? Are you allowed to order on Amazon UK? Shipping prices might be incredible though. I'll do more research. I believe you can get it directly from Scholastic.

If you can't get it anywhere else, I'll be willing to "swap." Not my own copy because I have an ARC, but I can buy a new one and swap for... let's say Ranger's Apprentice 6? This is assuming your profile is right and you're from Australia. I think the post office has a "trade" option.

Bianca (biancamaria) | 10 comments The amazon shipping prices are more than the book itself would cost so that's not really a good option. I checked local online book stores and they're all selling the book so I guess I'll just buy it over the net.

Thanks for the 'trade' offer though!

Cool. Tell us what you think after you've read it! I hope you like it.

Jen | 15 comments I got Hunger Games from my school library - you could try a school library if you know any teachers.

Bianca (biancamaria) | 10 comments Never thought of that, I could get my brother to check in his school library.
Thanks

Jen | 15 comments Sure - I've got to look for more books there - but I found Wed. wars so thought that was a good start for the holiday. :) I've been reading romantic comedies set at Christmas these past three weeks. We have a book exchange here and so that's where I've gotten the books. Fun! :)

Jen

Bianca (biancamaria) | 10 comments I'm getting really frustrated with my local and even state libraries. More than half the books that I want to read aren't available in my local library and so I request a state-exchange and none of those libraries have the books I want either.

Jen | 15 comments Oh that stinks. Well, whatever I get I will mail to you to share if you'd like. :) What books are you looking for? If Wed. Wars is good - then I'll buy a copy for my library in my classroom. You can just pay me back for shipping. I was surprised that anyone else was up this early - but you're about 12 hours ahead, aren't you? I've been telling my doctor that I need a prescription to move to Australia for 1/2 of the year - winter here - because the lack of sunshine has a real effect of me. And I don't mind the cold or anything - it's just the lack of light - which can be tough - I have no window in my classroom and sometimes go in in the dark and leave work in the dark. It's hard not to just go to sleep when I come home. :) But I have my books for now!

Well - let me know what books you're looking for and I'll see if I have them and can mail them to you. :)

Jen

message 12: by Bianca (last edited Dec 15, 2008 02:24AM) (new)

Bianca (biancamaria) | 10 comments That's a really generous offer, thank you so much but I'd feel bad making you go to all that effort. I think maybe I'll just buy the books and if I love them then I'll keep them and if not I can just donate them to the library.

Yeh it's 7pm over here, soo hot right now I'm practically melting in the heat.
What do you teach? And how can you not have a window in your classroom that must be pure torture.

Jen | 15 comments OH it STINKS! My last two jobs had = one had two walls with windows - large ones - and the second had a whole wall of unrelieved window - sooo wonderful. And I'm definitely affected by the sunshine - have much more energy and desire to work harder when I'm in the sunshine! :) Well - I have an interior classroom in this old old building. I'm hoping to switch schools next year so that I can be in a better paying school - teaching 8th grade English - that has better supplies (I had to buy all of mine for the past 2 years - including notebooks for my kids this year). Wow - it's 7 p.m. already - so you're 14 hours ahead give or take - it's 5:27 a.m. here.

What do you do? I don't mind - it's truly not any trouble - if you can't order them, then let me know, ok? What are Study Buddies if not friends!? :)

Jen

message 14: by Bianca (last edited Dec 15, 2008 02:57AM) (new)

Bianca (biancamaria) | 10 comments What do I do as in my job? I'm just a part-time waitress, been working there for a loooong time now and I love it.

I'll be sure to check with you if there's no other way to get a book.

That's terrible, having to buy all the class supplies, but at least you made the effort to help the kids out. Do many of your students read? I'm finding that younger kids, including my own brother and sister don't read as much as I do, or did when I was their age.

E. wrote: "I don't know if it has the commerical appeal to be a Harry Potter-like success..."

That's exactly what I was thinking E.! I mean, Hunger Games is definitely good--no question about that. I'm surprised that it's not up for the National Book Award. I think it was one of our (YABC's) nominees for the month of October, but Graceling won out because Hunger Games looked too "serious" and sad. We wanted a "happy" book.

I also find that--just like with Graceling--the main female [Kat:] is not the all around appealing character. Let's face it, she's not the average Mary Sue-ish person. (I know, I know... not this Mary Sue thing again!) No matter how many people say that Mary Sues are annoying, there's just so many more people that like that quality. I guess I don't care either way, and I do tend to lean more towards characters like Yelena and Buffy. So as long as the girl can kick ass, that's all she needs!

One of the things that really drew me toward Katniss was her ability with the bow. I did think that her lack of perception is annoying (the fact that she kept denying Peeta's feelings for her even though it's totally clear to the reader).

Tamora Pierce gave it a five!

Suzy | 46 comments I loved the Hunger games. There has been many books, movies that had the same premise, putting teenagers together for a last man standing "game." If any of you are interested, the Japanese Movie: "Battle Royale" is a great movie to watch with the same idea. It came out a few years ago but definitely a powerful movie playing off of human nature and what people will do when they are put in the unthinkable situation. Not for the light hearted.

I think Hunger Games is a more realistic account of how one may act in those situations, you have the will do ANYTHING to win group, the just try to stay alive and avoid having to kill, etc. Katniss is a strong character who possesses very real emotions, actions and reactions to what she experiences in the book. This book was filled with ups and downs and good and very wrong surprises.

I don't think this book will get any type of fanfare like Harry Potter or Twilight but I think it will definitely get great word of mouth and buzz. I was disappointed with the ending, it was my fault though. I didn't know that this was a book 1 of I don't know how many. How many books are there total? Or is just kept up in the air?

SheWunders | 13 comments Jane: You’re right Hunger Games isn’t happy at all. Initially I wasn’t excited about reading it. I guess the premise didn’t appeal to me. But after the 1st chapter I was compelled by the amazing writing to read on. It’s just a well written, page-turner even if you aren’t into dystopian societies, death matches, or Running Man like themes.

Suzy: The number of sequels is being kept under wraps right now for what ever reason. The only thing I’ve been able to find out is that the sequel is called “Catching Fire” and it’s due out next September. Collins has no blog to speak of and Scholastic isn’t very helpful either.

Jen | 15 comments Hey Bianca - waitressed for all of college - was a great job - in the summer - not much business in the winter except on New Year's Eve. I give you credit - I tried to go back into waitressing - and I just don't have the stamina anymore - I've been away for too long. And I can't mentally recall all of people's orders - I would need to write everything down.

Do they read? Some of them - voraciously! And some of them - not at all. We just got in some great books at the library which are especially for our ESL and Spec. Ed. low level readers - they do look differently - they're thinner and have graphics in them - but the kids actually feel like they can finish the book - and understand it. I have expectations for a book about every 3 weeks. The other teachers are less strident about it - but if they read the recommended 30 minutes a night - a little longer on the weekends - then they can finish. I totally read so much more than they do - and still do! :)

So great having a conversation with you - I hope no one else minds.

Let me know about getting those books.

Jen wrote: "I hope no one else minds..."

Not at all! Carry on. Fun topic. I never waitressed, but I was a restaurant supervisor a few years ago. It was one of the most boring jobs I had.

Suzy wrote: "Battle Royale..."

That's a anime, right? I have to watch that. Maybe I'll Netflix it.

E. wrote: "Initially I wasn’t excited about reading it. I guess the premise didn’t appeal to me. But after the 1st chapter I was compelled..."

I got the ARC from the Bk Expo and I was staring at it for a good five months before I picked it up. The description didn't initially lure me. It did sound very depressing.

I don't know of you guys have read Collins' other series, Gregor the Overlander, but I did and I was a little disappointed by the story. I guess I expected it to be closer to Hunger Games (don't ask me why I expected that, I just did).

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments The Battle Royale I've watched is live action. Apparently there's a novel it was based on, and a manga that came from it.

Suzy | 46 comments Yes Battle Royale is a live action. The crazy Japanese girl in Kill Bill was chosen because of her performance in Battle Royale.

message 23: by Alethea (last edited Dec 18, 2008 10:37AM) (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 246 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "Yes Battle Royale is a live action. The crazy Japanese girl in Kill Bill was chosen because of her performance in Battle Royale. "

Suzy, I know this is off-topic, but have you watched any Park Chan-wook (or Chan-wook Park, as US style would reverse his name)? He has a great trilogy of "vengeance" films: Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and Lady Vengeance. If you liked Battle Royale you'll probably like these. Lady V. is my favorite--the actress who plays the lead is beautiful. The stories are really weird but I find them compelling, and his film style is kind of whimsical/grotesque--like if Wes Anderson started making horror movies.

I'm reading Fortress of Solitude right now for TCB but I will read Hunger Games before our next YABC meeting.

Bianca (biancamaria) | 10 comments Just got an email saying that the earliest I can get the book shipped to me is March next year. Argh, maybe I will just have to buy it from amazon, although it will cost like $50.
Sooo annoying.

message 25: by Alethea (last edited Dec 19, 2008 05:16PM) (new)

Sorry, girl. If you do the reimbursement thing through Paypal (and one of us uses a coupon) you can get it for about $33, and in 6 to 10 days. That's US Postal Service Int'l Priority Flat Rate. If you let me know by tomorrow, there is a 40% off coupon at my work that I could use without consequence (we're not allowed to use our employee discounts to buy anything we'll be reimbursed for, but that doesn't mean I can't use the regular customer discount for something like this.)

message 26: by Jane (last edited Dec 19, 2008 08:05PM) (new)

I can't believe how much shipping costs. I just sent an envelope with my transcripts to UCLA overnighted, and it was about $13. And it's only a half an hour away!

Bianca (biancamaria) | 10 comments Yeh shipping costs are crazy Jane.
Alethea is that $33 US or Australian?

Um, Australian I think. It would be $10.79 for the book, with my coupon, then plus tax, so $11.68. (OOps, I should have figured that in before, I don't think I did.) Flat priority international is $11.95 (and I'm pretty sure it fits, it's the same size container as the priority domestic flat.) So $23.63 US, then convert to AUD. When I looked it up it was between 1.4 to 1.5 or so. So that's $35.45... A dollar either way won't kill me, and it sounds better than $50 AUD.

Message me privately if you decide! I have to buy the book tomorrow or my 40% off coupon expires :( so if you can decide within the next, oh, 12 hours? That would be cool. (I have to leave for work at 5:30 a.m.)

Auuuggghhh. Dying to discuss this now. I stayed up all night to finish it in one go.

Bianca (biancamaria) | 10 comments I really appreciate your help, but I've gotten a relative overseas to get it for me!

Don't give anything away but how did you like it?

message 31: by Alethea (last edited Dec 22, 2008 09:20AM) (new)

I loved it! It's on par with Poison Study for me and I think some people will like it better, in terms of world-building. There are reviews that complain that in Maria V. Snyder's books they can't figure out the time period (that's because it's not set in *our* world); but in Collins's story it's set in a future Earth world (North America) and she gives geographic clues for the reader to relate to.

People who hated Twilight for *sure* will love this--Roxy!--in general I think they are put off by the "love at first sight" and the lack of action-packedness. They will not have this problem with Hunger Games.

I agree with Jane, though, Suehunters will still try to find something wrong with Katniss! And they will lose, because she's doesn't fit the bill. Drew (if you're out there), we can discuss this when you've read the book!

I have to gush about my top five books this year:
The Shadow of the Wind
Poison Study series
The Hunger Games
Graceling
The Princess Bride

The funny part is... all of them are great for different reasons. That's how I feel about Hunger Games vs. other books. I think for someone who didn't like Poison Study, or for someone who thought it was average, would love Hunger Games because of the "seriousness" of the book. One of my friends thought Poison Study was a '3', but I think she'll love Shadow of the Wind and Hunger Games. I didn't even try recommending Graceling or Princess Bride because I think they're closer to Poison Study (since she just thought it was average).

I think many people didn't like Katniss because of her lack of trustworthiness. But that's also the same reason why some people will love her. One of the things that bothered Alfonso about Yelena was that she was too trusting of people (and vice versa --like with Janco, Ari, Dax, etc.), so I think he'll like that aspect of Katniss.

message 33: by Jane (last edited Jan 01, 2009 09:24AM) (new)

Clix wrote: "The Battle Royale I've watched is live action. Apparently there's a novel it was based on, and a manga that came from it."

I watched Battle Royale yesterday, and it is crazy! I wonder if Suzanne Collins ever saw the show. You're right, the Games is very similar to BR. Though I'm very glad that Hunger Games didn't have anything like those bomb necklaces.

I'm almost sad to say that BR is much more disturbing than Hunger Games. So many people, Dead.

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Jane wrote: "You're right, the Games is very similar to BR....

I'm almost sad to say that BR is much more disturbing than Hunger Games. So many people, Dead."

*grin* Actually, I think the numbers are similar - 30 or 31 in BR versus 24 in HG. But it SEEMS like more in BR because HG stays pretty exclusively with Katniss' perspective.

I actually thought that the two stories were very different, for all that they seemed to have the same basic premise.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Hunger Games is up for a motion picture. I hope they don't botch it! (like they did with a certain other YA book some of us were obsessed over...)

Here's an old review for Hunger Games by Stephen King where he mentioned that he's curious to see how movie makers are going to get a PG13 rating for a story like this... I feel he's right and the more and more I think about it, they'll probably botch it.

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments I'm reading this now by the way, I'm loving it.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 17 comments Jane wrote: "Bianca wrote: "I've called up all the local bookstores and no one has Hunger Games in stock and none of the libraries in my state own the book..."

That's so sad! I just looked to see if there's a..."

I know they have the book at the libraries in Melbourne - I have friends who have read it there.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 17 comments Roxy wrote: "I'm reading this now by the way, I'm loving it. "

I loved the Hunger Games. I thought it was wonderful in a good disturbing way and the struggle that the main characters go through are amazing. The sequel "Catching Fire" will be out in September. I can't wait.

message 40: by Jane (last edited Aug 14, 2009 11:51PM) (new)

Roxy wrote: "I'm reading this now by the way, I'm loving it. "

Knew you would... What took you so long??

Catching Fire is REALLY GOOD as well. Can't wait for the third. Is there a title yet?

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Jane wrote: "...Catching Fire is REALLY GOOD as well. Can't wait for the third. Is there ..."

*GLARE*

SOME of us don't have ours yet ;p *g*

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments Jane wrote: "Roxy wrote: "I'm reading this now by the way, I'm loving it. "

Catching Fire is REALLY GOOD as well. Can't wait for the third. Is there ..."

I've been simply lagging behind on reading. I finished it now though. I want to have its babies, that's how much I loved it.

message 43: by Alethea (last edited Aug 17, 2009 06:59PM) (new)

Roxy wrote: "Jane wrote: "Roxy wrote: "I'm reading this now by the way, I'm loving it. "

Catching Fire is REALLY GOOD as well. Can't wait for the ..."

I won't tell Kevin. Although he may guess if your kid turns out to have pages.

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments Alethea wrote: "Roxy wrote: "Jane wrote: "Roxy wrote: "I'm reading this now by the way, I'm loving it. "

Catching Fire is REALLY GOOD as well. Can't wait..."

Pfft, I already told him myself. Mind you, I'm expecting a lecture, but I don't care, the book is that good. If he reads it, he'll want to have its babies too.

message 45: by Alethea (last edited Aug 29, 2009 12:58AM) (new)

I thought you all might appreciate this:

\Shelf Check 353\

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments Alethea wrote: "I thought you all might appreciate this:

"

Hahaha, nice.

Awesome cartoon, Alethea!

Oh yeah, get Catching Fire if you haven't yet. It's our October book --chosen by Nancy!

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments Jane wrote: "Awesome cartoon, Alethea!

Oh yeah, get Catching Fire if you haven't yet. It's our October book --chosen by Nancy!"

Awesome! I just finished it and I loved it.

Wowie! See, you can read fast if you're motivated.

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments Alethea wrote: "Wowie! See, you can read fast if you're motivated."

Oh definitely, you should have seen me go through the last three HP books when they were first released. Like lightning.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)
Graceling (other topics)
Gregor the Overlander (other topics)
The Fortress of Solitude (other topics)
Twilight (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tamora Pierce (other topics)
Suzanne Collins (other topics)