The Next Best Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Revive a Dead Thread > Your Latest Splurge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 9,855) (9855 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 197 198

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8703 comments Mod
Ok, so I was wondering what you bought on your last trip to the bookstore (or the last online order you made)....

I tend to buy two or three books at a time, and I only buy them when I am on my last book from my last splurge....
(If i buy too many at once, I get readers anxiety and start getting panicky, trying to pick the right one to start, trying to rush through the current one to get to the next, its not pretty....)

I went out to Borders Thursday and bought Samedi The Deafness and The Book Of Samson...I was going to buy one more, but my 4 year old begged me to buy him a pop-up bug book called Creepy Crawly Creatures (or something like that)... Its disgusting... But he's a boy, and loves it, go figure... So that was my semi-splurge....

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison I bought my husband "The GM" for Christmas b/c he is doing a sports reading group on GoodReads. It's about being a general manager in the NFL. It was 26 hard-earned dollars, but there wasn't a copy at the library yet.

message 3: by Firas (new)

Firas I bought 3 books last time I went to m nearest bookstore. First, The Kite Runner, cause I got too many recomends for it. I read it way too quickly for such a good book. Then I got Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, just for the heck of it sort of. Had a report for it but decided to just buy it to add to my book stack. Then I got Shadowplay by Tad Williams, high fantasy sort of book and the second of his latest trilogy on it, I think. Still reading the last two of them. Woulda got more but my parents actually got worried I'm reading too much if u can believe it.

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Im heading out to the bookstore tomorrow for another small splurge. Im currently reading my last unread book.... Someone suggested I pick up The Gift, and I read a sample of it, and it sounds good, so that may very well be one of them!

Anyone else headed out with a list of books they want, or perhaps you just got a couple of great new reads you are excited to share with us?

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Dec 06, 2007 09:20AM) (new)

Ok, just got back from Borders. I bought The Gift, The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, and The Book of Lost Things. Book shopping costs me so damn much. Im out almost 50 bucks. I have to find a cheaper way of doing this!

I dont know why i bought two xmas related books, I never read them really, but i guess the pull of the holiday season is really noticable this year. Anyhow... anyone else have some new purchases?

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I just got delivered "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella, "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls and "Pieces of my Sister's Life" by Elizabeth Joy Arnold. That's only half my order, next half should be here next week.

message 7: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) | 44 comments Barnes & Noble buys:
*Gods in Alabama & Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson
*Why Moms Are Weird by Pamela Ribon
*To-Do List From Buying Milk to Finding A Soul Mate, What Our Lists Say About Us by Sasha Cohen
*Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky

Used bookstore buys:
can't remember all the titles -- but I got about 8-9 books fo $20 (was so happy!)

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Is anyone cutting back on book purchases due to christmas closing in?

Anyone expecting or wishing/hoping for gift cards to thier favorite book stores?

message 9: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) I haven't bought a book in a bookstore in a long while...but I just went to the movies and managed to get 3 10% off coupons (for orders of $50 or more)...so I'm thinking a trip to the bookstore is in order! I'm going to get books with swapping in mind - ones I want to read first, of course, but that are popular enough that I can trade them fast for more books I want to read. :)

message 10: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) I normally don't do much shopping either -- but had a chance to hit up the 2-story Borders in downtown Louisville yesterday while on a business trip...
I picked up Thunderstruck (Erik Larsen), The Secret Life of Houdini, Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski, and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the end of the World by Haruki Murakami. Of course, I can't read those yet because I just checked out five from the library... LOL. This will set me for Christmas break though. :)

message 11: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) | 44 comments A friend & I just stumbled upon a great used book store in Douglassville, PA. It's called Gently Used Bookstore. Basically they buy, sell & trade. I'm in love.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I am trying to read from my books I already own or from the library since it is so close to Christmas, but the last book I bought was "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. I asked for a lot of books for Christmas though so I guess I will wait and see if my husband gives me the titles I ask for or just gets me a gift card.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Jodie, I am so jealous I want a used book store around here. The one I used to go to closed:/

message 14: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Latest additions are "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb and "A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of my Husband, Danny Pearl" by Mariane Pearl with Sarah Crichton.

message 15: by ScottK (new)

ScottK | 536 comments Lori : Since I have the fortunate 3 days before Chridstmas b'day I alway always always get Borders Gift cards for my bday then the big stuff comes 3 days later....just easier that way ! I count myself lucky because most people tend to think of gift cards as cop out gifts. Last year I had over $250.00 worth of BGC's (Borders Gift Cards)and not 1 cent was spent on Cd's Games or Movies.......all BOOKS. Hopefully I will see the same a week from Saturday . :)

message 16: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

ooooh.. yeah. I love gift cards to bookstores. When i get BN's, i get to shop online. But it is more fun for me to go out to Borders. Im just so easy to please .....

Sorry to hear that your birthday is so close to xmas... but it sounds like you make out pretty well!!

message 17: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. I bought Eat Pray Love last week for a friend for Christmas, and all i can say is that I hope someone is buying it for me too :)
THEN I went to Borders tonight, not my usual Borders, and wanted to buy a book but did not know the author or the title (does that sound lame or what?) but it caught my eye in my regular (weekday) Borders, so on lunch hour tomorrow I will be at the "regular" Borders to buy it (I know exactly where it is displayed at my regular Borders) and will post what it is.

message 18: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Lucky you - getting over $250 worth of BGCs!
I am jealous!

message 19: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Yep, I'm jealous too!!! I've got my mum getting me some books for Christmas and when we were out shopping I went to pick up more and she had to tell me to stop. I swear I could buy a book every time I go out!!

message 20: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Dec 17, 2007 02:20PM) (new)

Borders had a 40% off coupon for today, so i ran today, while doing other errands as well, and treated myself to three more books.

The Fourth Bear (my 10 yr old son was showing an interest, so i told him i would read it first, to see if it would be fitting for him)

The Dead Fathers Club (im currently reading The Book of Lost Things, and this book seems to be in a similar vein)

Lamb by Christopher Moore.

I will have to hold back now until after the holidays .... but i just couldnt help myself!

message 21: by Diane D. (new)

Diane D. Hi Lori - Yes, I took that 40% coupon and bought the book from Sunday night that I couldn't remember the name of it - The Keep.

message 22: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Went out today and used my Borders Gift card and a 20% off coupon (which expired today) and bought the following :

Earth Abides
Post Office
A Dirty Job

I still have Lamb from my previous splurge before xmas, but I couldnt pass up the coupon.. Hee Hee.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (AJourneyInReading) Went to Books-a-million today......

I bought

Rhett Butler's people
The Lovely Bones
The Book Thief

got all 3 in hardback for under $30, and a free bookbag!

message 24: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) I went a little crazy in the bookstore...

Atonement by Ian McEwan
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Fifth Vial by Michael Palmer
The Echo Maker by Richard Powers
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Last Town On Earth by Thomas Mullens

I got some great coupons, and ended up getting 2 of those books free... :)

message 25: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Choke is a good book but you have to have an open mind. It's one of Chuck Palahniuk's wierder ones.

message 26: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Wow Bree, what a shopping list! I really liked Choke by Cuck P... Interesting storyline. And The Road is by far one of my all time favorite books. I read it in one sitting becuase i just couldnt bear to put it down!

The Fifth Vial was an weird one. I liked it ok enough. Medical thriller, but unique.

Happy reading!

message 27: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) Eric, I haven't read any of Chuck Palahniuk's work, so it will be interesting to read. Looks like a short book (comparitively to the others I bought), I'm looking forward to reading it!

message 28: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) | 44 comments Hey L - don't be jealous, just start your own used bookstore! Where do you live? You could google used bookstores & find out if any are close to you. Or do you have a local library? Sometimes the libraries will have used book sales. You should look into it. If not, suggest it. Or suggest that the local elementary school or a church holds a used book sale. That way you could get lots of people in your community involved in it. I'm sure you're not the only person around who loves to read & who loves a bargain. Good luck!

message 29: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Jodie, thats a great idea. I would never have thought to ask my sons school or my library to hold book sales... maybe I will now....

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Jodie, I would love to start my own used book store because this area has nothing like that...maybe someday if I could get the start up costs covered. I live in Kentucky mid way between Cinncinnati OH and Lexington KY so I basically have to drive into one of the cities(over an hour each way) to get to one, and I googled and found only one in Cincy. Go figure that such a large city only has one. I do take advantage of the library book sale once a year, and I get a little gitty at the thought. The school used book sale is a great idea I might use that if I could get the PTO officers in on it. I am also thinking of trying the book exhanges that are all over the net but they are going to be a lot of work.

message 31: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Went out this morning, armed with a 30% off coupon for Borders and came back with the following:

The Princess Bride - (absolutley love this movie, never read the book, but read all the reviews here and feel like I am missing out on something great, so here I go....)

Factotum - Charles Bukowski

--I held back a little, since I have new coupon from borders to be used next week, i will buy one more book next week. I think i will try to save my family a little money this year by using coupons and purchasing one book a week with those, then ordering the balance of what I need to support my reading habit through online used bookstores.

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa So I got to thinking after I wrote the last post that it didn't sound right that so few used book stores existed in college towns like Cincinnati and Lexington. I looked again and I found lots in both towns. I even found my long lost favorite book store "For the Love of Books". Turns out they relocated instead of closed. Now I just have to find Ft. Wright. Did I mention I don't go into the city that often and I have a terrible habit of getting lost there? Oh well it will be worth it!

message 33: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Well, I have stuck to my guns so far on my new years resolution about the way i purchase books.

I went to Borders today armed with a 25% off coupon and a $5.00 reward and bought one book. Notes of a Dirty Old Man by Charles Bukowski. Cost me a little over 6 smackers. Phew.... It felt good saving money, and getting a book at the same time!

Currently reading The Princess Bride. Its a little strange. It has two introductions by the author (who pretends he isnt really the author but someone who abridged the original story to leave in only the "goodparts", when he indeed is the actual author and there was never any "badparts")... Sounds a little like split personality to me... no?

message 34: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (splummer54) I just got a gift certificate for Amazon.com. Boy am I going to have fun!!!!! I'll update what I know for sure I am getting the "To Do List". Other than that not sure. Take Care!!

message 35: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I bought Plum Luck by Janet Evanovich at the grocery store. It was 40% off without a coupon. Easier than printing out the 40% off Borders coupon & making a special trip. I also found a little volunteer-run used bookstore on campus, in the basement of a church. I got a Spanish dictionary, Happy Birthday to You by Dr. Seuss, The Golden Bough by James Frazer, Lords & Ladies by Terry Pratchett & a chicken cookbook - all for under $3. My new between-classes hangout. Unfortunately it's only open two days a week. . . ah well. Still an excellent find. :)

message 36: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Last nite we were out and about and swung into Borders (10% off entire purchase coupon) and everyone in the family got a book. I bought Blood Sucking Fiends ( i am still sticking to my one book a week with coupon resolution!!!)

I also went online earlier in the week and bought two books used from Amazon.com. The Preservationist(hardcover) by David Maine, and Bringing Out The Dead (paperback) by Joe Connolly. Both books cost me about 15 bucks combined with shipping and handeling. Not too shabby.....(again, sticking to my resolution of only one book per week, with used online purchases to backfill.... woo hoo)

message 37: by Fenixbird (last edited Jan 20, 2008 05:49PM) (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 403 comments Lori--I would love to hear more about The Deafness. I am off running over to our local used/exchange bookstore/entertainment chain (Bookman's) here in Phoenix in search:

Black House by Stephen King
The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing etc etc
Christmas Gifts,
Christmas Voices by John Allen

Since Bookman's is within walking distance, I try them First (& since both my son & I often require textbooks for our classes). The weekly coupons are a great idea--just not that organized yet!

message 38: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Ok.... so i have been exceptionally good at following my new years resolution so far.. an entire month of only buying one book a week at Borders (with coupon in hand) and making due with a few online used book purchases.

So who can blame me for walking into Borders today - sans coupons - and spending 60 bucks on three books? I was jonsing in the worst way. And the sick part is... I bought TWO, count em, TWO hardcovers, which i never ever do....

I was elated when i walked out of the store, but now i am feeling a little woozy. I shouldnt have done that.

For my 60 smackers, I came home with :
You Suck- Christopher Moore (i just finished Blooksucking Fiends today and desperately needed the sequel!)

Ghost - by Alan Lightman (HARDCOVER - looked too good to pass up)

Sharp Teeth - Charles Baxter (HARDCOVER - epic poem about werewolves. fits right in with the Moore novels I am chewing through)

Someone needs to take away my debit card, I have an addiction.

message 39: by Jo (new)

Jo (BloominChick) i just picked up 'good in bed' by jennifer weiner for $1 at the library!!!

message 40: by Jen (new)

Jen | 278 comments Oh, Lori. I think you might just be my new best friend. I can relate completely. I left my job almost a year ago to stay home with my two daughters. My refuge from house boredom has been Borders. I tend to buy books constantly, the only difference being I do not read quickly which has resulted in stacks of unread books. I keep buying them because I operate from some sort of irrational fear that I will forget the book and never read it unless I buy it.

...and the COUPONS! Why must they encourage the addiction.

In my most recent trip to the bookstore (two days ago), I bought:

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (she wrote March, which I loved).

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle (Yes, I watch and love Oprah).

On top of that, I'm meeting a friend for coffee today and have $15.00 in Borders Rewards to spend thanks to e-Rewards.com.

message 41: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Pierce (cookiejarprincess) I went to Goodwill the other weekend and bought 18 books for $18.90. All but two of them were books from my childhood that I loved that I had to get rid of a few years ago when I moved and I've loved re-reading The Egypt Game and Ramona Quimby, Age 8 just as much as I loved them the first time I read them.

message 42: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Jen- I have tryed E rewards... most of the time they tell me i cant finish the survey and i get like no points at all... so i stopped answering thier surveys! what poop! Well, i guess im glad it actually works for someone tho!

message 43: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Moran (AuthorKellyMoran) I love HalfPrice books. It sucks taking them in, they give you next to nothing, but it's great to get books by authors I love for half the cost. Especially the way I go through them!
PS_ Romantic Fiction, Poetry, or Ghost Story Lovers... Check out my profile please. The new book is getting great reviews.
Kelly Moran
http://home.wi.rr.com/kellymoran
XXXOOO

message 44: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Pierce (cookiejarprincess) I went to Target yesterday to pick up a prescription. I left with The Glass Castle (which I've already finished), I Am Legend, and the first five Stephanie Plum novels.

message 45: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (jaimechm) LOL...Be careful with the Stephanie Plums - very addicting reads!

My latest splurge was a random trip to B&N for a magazine and walked out with 2 mags on the same topic, Made in Detroit by Paul Clemons and The To-Do List by Sasha Cagen.

Someone take away my credit card!

message 46: by Jen (new)

Jen | 278 comments There is nothing like the feeling of buying books. I bought two new books today and am still walking around on a high. I went to Borders and used my Borders Rewards towards:
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay and
The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing

The only disappointment about the trip was that the Borders was in a mall. There is something about a bookstore in a mall that dirties it for me.

message 47: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 454 comments JEN! I agree about the mall bookstore...such a dirty thing.
I love the local neighborhood bookstore :)

message 48: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I went out yesterday sans any coupons at all and bought two new books for me and one for my 10 year old, who came with me.

For me: The Good Fairies of New York - Martin Millar (started last nite, and its a bit all over the place for me right now. hmm...)
also bought Gils All Fright Diner - A.Lee Martinez.. It looked really campy and b-movieish... so I figured what the hell...

For my son: Invasion of the Road Weenies by David Lubar. He started reading that one yesterday!

message 49: by Jo (new)

Jo (BloominChick) i picked up valerie bertinelli's auto bio "losing it," "a new earth" by eckhart tolle (both on sale & had coupons!) as well as the hardcover of "sufficient grace" by darnell arnoult that i found on the bargain shelf! (less than $5!) and it's not like i don't have a pile of library books sitting on the floor next to my side of the bed!!!

message 50: by Jo (new)

Jo (BloominChick) i forgot! we went to the local aauw booksale weekend before last and spent a total of $21.50 ~ ~ hubby got 3 books that i can't remember the titles of (sci-fi & history, i think) and i got 4 luanne rice hardcovers ("beach girls," "summer of roses," "sandcastles" and "safe harbor"), the hardcovers of "secret life of bees," and "good grief" AND 3 hardcover coffee table books, "better homes and gardens come home to country," "country flowers" and "the house book" ~ ~ it evened out since the last time we went (in september) he got a bag full of paperack's and i left with notta!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 197 198
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Living Dead in Dallas (other topics)
House of Leaves (other topics)
Bliss (other topics)
The Devouring (other topics)
Living Dead Girl (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Audrey Niffenegger (other topics)
Stephenie Meyer (other topics)
Diane Setterfield (other topics)