Great Expectations Great Expectations question

Is It just me or it is this perfectly normal....
Anna Anna Mar 14, 2012 03:32PM
I am currently reading Great Expectations (a graphical novel style and not really the book) and I find myself strongly disliking Estella from the first time Pip meets her to the time I am currently reading about which right now is chapter three. Why Estella such a jerk to Pip? He already has a nasty sister that treats him terribly, so why her??? She could be perfectly kind-hearted and sweet if she wanted to be. She doesn't even change in the ending which is rather disappointing! She acts like Mr. Darcy in the sense that she breaks guys' hearts and acts all cold while Dacy just a problem with pride issues. Am I wrong to strongly dislike her? Discuss!! And Help Me!!

Estella, the glittering star of Pip's youth, is an essential part of the Great Expectations he has for his life. Feeling awkward in his thick boots, he longs for her admiration and approval. Though not naturally a violent boy, he bloodies Herbert Pocket's nose to show off his strength. But Estella is unobtainable and - in the published ending - can only be his when she, like him, has had her Expectations severely modified by experience. Please read the original. Films & graphic versions cannot do real justice to it.

Holly I just read it and I agree, only the original will do. I didn't care for Estella either but you do come to understand her if only a bit in the beginni ...more
Oct 27, 2012 08:29PM

I like how he finally figures out that it was Biddy he should have loved all along, but by then it's too late.

Holly Biddy did love him but he was to wrapped up in himself and how he appeared and should act and be looked upon by others. So glad to see though that in ...more
Oct 27, 2012 08:31PM

Estella is a tool of revenge, raised by that purpose by the spinster Ms. Haversham, who was abandoned at the alter by her fiancee.

Angie (last edited Mar 22, 2012 10:50AM ) Mar 22, 2012 10:41AM   0 votes
Part of life, this usually happens. BTW, what do you think about Miss Havisham? the person who has raised Estella.

Pip himself is the character who fascinates me. I'm sure Dickens' portrayal of a mercilessly hen-pecked little boy and his relationship with the fearsome Magwich of the Marshes contains a hundred subtle layers of meaning. Isn't that the man's skill, after all? And the social comment - that somehow Magwich, with all his wealth, manages to accept his own inferiority in the presence of the penniless friends, Pip and Herbert? How to endorse and indict British Society at its worst!

Then contrast the humanity of Jaggers with the cold stilletto that is Miss Haversham. The tragedy of the woman is quickly buried beneath the rancid soil of her self-pity; her evil is measured in what she does. When I first read her it escaped me, but now I'm sure this was Dickens turning the knife on his wife - who had a lot to complain about, after all.

Finally, really intriguing, Pip facing a future with Estella. Let's be absolutely honest, here: this lady is just not going to thaw out! His prospects of a happy and fulfilling relationship are somewhat limited, I'd say, and his future passion potential will never exceed tepid. But then, is that what Pip wants? I see him as the ever-willing spaniel, desperate to be loved - Mrs. Joe's legacy to the suppressed child she drove out into the cold. Estella will buy all the jewellry he can afford, and more.

Joe Gargery comes out of this novel better than anyone. 'The smithy's the place where the scandal lies; hammerin' and hammerin' away!"

Estella's cruelty to Pip stems from Miss Havisham and from herself.

I thought it was kind of obvious from the start why Estella is so cruel. Didn't think any reader would miss it. Maybe because it's a graphic novel? By the way, could you give me a link to it? I'd like to see it.
Something my friend said about Dickens' novels:
"You know what I love about Dickens?
He makes his characters suffer at the hands of the world, fulfils their desperate desires and then makes them suffer at the hands of those desires."

Worth reading to the end to find out how it is that she has been brought up to be such a man-hater.

Don't worry. Its ok to not like her at first but as you progress through you'll find out the reason why she is the way she is. It might help you to dislike her a little less.
She can't really change who is becomes because of how she was raised and taught to do as a kid.
BTW, I never liked her either. :)

I really liked the book. The convict repays Pip's kindness by helping him with his future and turning him into a gentleman over the years!

deleted member May 02, 2012 06:30AM   0 votes
How much of the original text is in the graphic novel? I have no problrm with graphic novel adaptations of classics, in fact I hadn't heard there was one of G.E,so I may have to track it down. I love Dickens and G.E is one of my favs so I apologise if this turns into a thesis.

Have you reached the part yet whre Pip is told that Estella was adopted 'to reek revenge on all the male sex'? Miss Havisham adopted her and schooled her from infancy to break mens hearts. Severel times in the novel Estella seems to find herself liking Pip in spit of this but quickly pulls away and repeatedly tells him that 'she has no heart'. Emotionally speaking Estella has had an equally abusive childhood as Pip, and whateber kindness that is left in her nature is constantly in battle with the person Miss Havisham, the only parental influence she has ever known, had brought her up to be.
Interestingly there are two endings to G.E. The first is not very optimistic for Pip or from a romantic point of veiw, but it does show a great developement in Estella's character. This ending was not used as it was considered not be unsatisfying so the second and version became the actual ending, however most editions of the novel have the original ending as an apendix, so it might be worth tracking that down as it sheds more light on Estella's overall experiences during the novel.

Her cruelty is absolutely intentional. I don't want to spoil anything, but pay attention to what little Miss Havisham reveals about herself and apply that to how she raises Estella. There's a lot of depth in the relationship between them.

I love Great Expectation. The description of Miss Havisham's room by Dickens is probably something that I would never forget. Also, there are lot of characters I liked and some I hated...kinda like life.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Great Expectations (other topics)