What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED > Childern's: Girl and a swing in a garden with a wall with no door and a boy on the other side

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Random (last edited Mar 13, 2012 09:25PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments My mother remembers being read this book as a child so we're looking at a time frame of late 40s or early 50s.

It was a short book, something a child could easily read in one sitting. My memory is pretty vague. I remember a girl in a garden and there was a swing. The garden wall had no door and there was a boy (I think) on the other side. There was no door in the wall and so they could only see each other when she would swing high.

Eventually the families put a door in the wall so the children could play with each other.

I wish I could remember more, but its been so many years.

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments Bump - Almost forgot about this query. Didn't realize it had been so long ago.

The only other detail I can remember is that it did have illustrations. It was not a picture book, however.

Ash (ashinscribbleland) | 61 comments Kind of vaguely reminds me of the magician's nephew, but I think they were meeting through connected attics? *bites lip at my inability to remember anything*

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments It's not that. This was a much shorter and simplistic book. There were also no fantastical elements at all.

Thanks for the try though.

Madison | 12 comments Could you be talking about The Secret Garden? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secr...

message 6: by Lobstergirl, has never smelled durian fruit (new)

Lobstergirl | 5351 comments Mod
The Secret Garden definitely could not be read by a child in one sitting. Also there is no swing involved.

Yinzadi | 20 comments I thought of the Secret Garden too. There was a swing in one of the movie adaptations, which is what brought it to mind. Any chance it could have been an abridgment or adaptation of the story for younger children?

Was this a picture book, or a short storybook?

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments Its definitely not the Secret Garden (I read it every spring), but its an understandable suggestion.

Back in the early 80s when I was a kid, my mother told me about this book. It had been read to her as a child and she loved it. We eventually went to the library to see if we could find it. She talked to a librarian who instantly recognized that she had mixed up this book and The Secret Garden. We checked out both and I remember we read the first one quickly (I doubt it could have taken over an hour, likely less time) and then went on to read The Secret Garden over the course of a week (a few chapters every night).

I'd really love to find it, but it was short enough and we only read it once before we returned it to the library, so my memory is very vague.

I am very positive about the swing and the two children unable to play because of the wall that separated them from one another. And that at the end a door was put into the wall so they could.

It wasn't a picture book, though I remember illustrations. It wasn't a book of short stories. I have the impression that it was likely geared towards the younger end of grade school (for children who were starting to get comfortable reading on their own). I do know that I could have easily read the book on my own (I was 3rd or 4th grade at the time). This may not be extremely helpful since I was reading Stephen King by 5th grade so my concept of reading age appropriate is somewhat skewed. :) I don't believe it was a chapter book.

I have fond memories of that week. My father was out of town for work and my brothers were gone for some reason so it was just the two of us. We'd curl up on the couch in the evening and I'd listen to her read. Over three decades later we both still read The Secret Garden every spring and talk about it. It would be nice if I could include this other book as well. I wish I could remember more about it.

I keep bugging my mom about it, but she has no memories of it at all anymore.

message 9: by Random (last edited Mar 08, 2013 01:43PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments Ugh, could I have used the word 'it' more often? That's what I get for writing before I have had caffeine.

I did have one thought. While I mentioned the word garden in my first post, this might be deceptive. It is more with the British use of the word which most Americans would substitute with yard.

I can't say for sure if the book is of British origin, or even for sure if the word garden was used. That's what I remember, but that memory might be faulty.

Sheila (SheilaReads) | 51 comments Maybe An Episode of Sparrows? It doesn't sound quite right, but there's a garden!

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments No, nothing in the description sounds familiar. I don't remember there being any other children involved (though I can't say that 100%) and I don't remember there being much involved beyond the immediate environment.

Thanks for trying though. :)

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments Bump

Michelle | 31 comments Could it be Tom's Midnight Garden, by Philippa Pearce? The description on Goodreads doesn't sound right, but the one in Chapters.ca sounds promising. It doesn't mention a swing, but there is a girl and boy, a secret garden, and a grandfather clock. Does this sound familiar?

Michelle | 31 comments I also found Rainbow Garden, by Patricia St. John - about a girl who discovers a little secret garden. There isn't much info in the description, so not sure if its a fit, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Michelle | 31 comments Sorry, not sure how old either of those titles is. I'm on my phone and the mobile browser doesn't give me a copyright year.

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments Neither are it, but thanks for trying. I believe the book I'm looking for was a lot more simplistic. It wasn't a very complex plot.

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 1560 comments Mod
Rainbow Garden
Tom's Midnight Garden
for the links, in case someone else is looking. :)

Kris | 1229 comments Could it be "Swing Me, Swing Tree" by Marcia Bliss Marks, perhaps? http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Tree-Marc...

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments I'm unsure but I don't think so. I managed to find a vague review that mentioned events that I don't remember and didn't mention anything that I do remember.

It does seem to be around the right type of book though. Simple and short.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, has never smelled durian fruit (new)

Lobstergirl | 5351 comments Mod
Random, are you still looking for this book?

Random (rand0m1s) | 43 comments I had forgotten about this post again.

I am still looking but have run out of ideas on what to add or keywords to search for.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

An Episode of Sparrows (other topics)
Rainbow Garden (other topics)
Tom's Midnight Garden (other topics)