Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

Dean Koontz
This topic is about Dean Koontz

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Rebecca Nolan (RNolanAuthor) | 421 comments Mod
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #1) by Dean Koontz City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #2) by Dean Koontz Dead and Alive (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #3) by Dean Koontz Watchers by Dean Koontz Lost Souls (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #4) by Dean Koontz Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) by Dean Koontz Intensity by Dean Koontz

Ok i have two of his tales on my kindle but havent read him yet so please fill me in. Is he truely a horror writer? I would love to know more :)

Laura Thomas (laurathomas) | 171 comments He is right up there with Steven King and John Saul. I have read just about everything he has ever written. He is my #1 horror author!

message 3: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Rebecca Nolan (RNolanAuthor) | 421 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "He is right up there with Steven King and John Saul. I have read just about everything he has ever written. He is my #1 horror author!"

That is great to know I love the older style Steven King novels so now I can get excited about reading Dean Koontz :)

Laura Thomas (laurathomas) | 171 comments You won't be disappointed. Happy reading:)

message 5: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Muse (musesinspire) | 192 comments Mod
I love him! I have been reading him since I was about 14; I started out with Lightning and also Watchers. Some of his books are reeeeeeealllllllllly drawn out and some are just plain not good. But the majority are awesome and I highly rec The Taking. By far and away my favorite book of his!

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 34 comments His "Dragon Tears" is next on my "books to read" list...he's undoubtedly one of the best, right up there very near Stephen King...

message 7: by Caron (last edited Jun 07, 2012 07:14AM) (new)

Caron Rider | 20 comments I started out with Lightning too! Loved, loved it. It's a great start to reading Koontz. I have most of his books. I actually prefer him to King because he's not nearly as wordy and gets right to the action. I really can't think of any that I didn't like. I just finished with his Frankenstein books.

What are you reading first?

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 34 comments You know, Caron, you're far from the first person I've heard saying King is too wordy, and I agree. Far be it from me to criticize the man, but he has three books over a thousand pages...geez

Carrie | 96 comments If you want an EXCELLENT intro to Dean Koontz, read "Watchers"

Watchers by Dean Koontz

Probably my favorite of his books - it will have you HOOKED!

Caron Rider | 20 comments @Thomas: Don't get me wrong, I like King. It's just quicker to read Koontz. They both have their place. ;)

@Carrie: Yep, loved Watchers too!

Scott Langrel | 11 comments My favorite is Twilight Eyes. I love that book! I like pretty much all of his books, even the ones which aren't strictly horror. Dark Rivers of the Heart is an awesome book.

Faith Marlow | 68 comments An entire thread about Dean Koontz? A group after my own heart! I have an entire shelf dedicated to his books. My mother was a huge fan and when she passed away her collection became mine. Years later I am still trying to read through them and he just keeps writing so I am unsure if I will ever catch up!

So far, my favorites have been "Darkfall" and "Tick Tok" but I also enjoyed "Dark Rivers of the Heart".

Jill James (Jill_James) | 19 comments I love how he gives the dogs in his books a real personality, even a POV sometimes. LOL

Faith Marlow | 68 comments Jill wrote: "I love how he gives the dogs in his books a real personality, even a POV sometimes. LOL"

In the books I have read, the dogs are another character in the story. A lot of my books have his picture in the back, often with his dog. :3

Carrie | 96 comments This isn't exactly Dean Koontz, but along the lines of making an animal a character (though not of the sweet, furry variety0 - has anyone ever read "Jaws"? While the movie is quite good, the book is really interesting in that many of the scariest scenes in the book are written from the shark's perspective. The opening in particular is really cool.

Sara Shrieves (SaraShrieves) | 27 comments I read a TON of Dean Koontz when I was 12, and I had started off with Watchers which I absolutely fell in love with. Next was The Bad Place which I also loved. And then Shadowfires was next and I read that twice in a row. I also agree that Lightning was awesome. There are many more from around the same time period that were totally amazing. BUT, as time went on I began noticing almost every single one of his books began to have the same basic premise. Which is someone in the book is some sort of demonic personality/monster, which is obviously the villain, and there's always either a married couple or two individuals will find each other and fall in love. Which is great and all, but once you get into like his 10th or even 50th book (he writes a LOT) you basically know what's going to happen. Like a Disney movie. Everything is love and roses, and then some villain comes along and ruins it all, but gets defeated and everyone lives happily ever after. Odd Thomas was slightly different I thought, from all of his regular stuff, until he completey dropped a major plot point in it and then brought in Satanism and he didn't even seem to do proper research on the difference between Satanism and Satan Worshipping. Very frustrating. While Stephen King can occasionally be wordy, when it comes to storyline and keeping things different for each book, I would definitely say he's the winner.

message 17: by Dannye (last edited Jul 26, 2012 11:43AM) (new)

Dannye | 4 comments One of my favorites is The Bad Place.
I get a newsletter in the mail from him whenever he decides to write one.

Elyse (elysedraper) | 6 comments Carrie wrote: "If you want an EXCELLENT intro to Dean Koontz, read "Watchers"

Watchers by Dean Koontz

Probably my favorite of his books - it will have you HOOKED!"

"Watchers", is hands down, my favorite Koontz book!

Colette (Whitetigre) | 27 comments I've read Lightning and loved it when I was in HS. Haven't read anything else of his. Reading your comments, I'll check him out again.

Donna I don't really consider Dean Koontz to be a horror author. More thriller with a darkish edge, I think.
Most of his stuff from the past ten or fifteen years has been dreadful, in my opinion, with a couple of exceptions.
I was hooked on him as a teenager, and Lightning is my favourite book of his. For some reason I don't own a copy at the moment, so I had better rectify that soon!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Intensity (other topics)
Odd Thomas (other topics)
Dead and Alive (other topics)
Forever Odd (other topics)
Watchers (other topics)
More...