Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Author Photographs

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments Hello! First of all, let me say that I am new here, so if I have posted in the wrong section or if my topic has been discussed elsewhere (I did look, alas, I found no specific threads dealing with this issue), I apologize.

I have the following problem: I've been wanting to update the profile of one of my favorite authors (Frances Partridge) by adding a photograph (there isn't one at the moment), alas, I am somewhat confused by the policy concerning photographs. Most of it is common sense, clearly, but when it comes to older authors, and the photographers are clearly dead, whom do I ask for permission? Or how can I check if the photograph is free for use? Perhaps I'm naive, but just because something shows up on Google doesn't necessarily mean I have the right to upload it here, right? :)

If I contact the copyright holder (in this case the grandson of the photographer whose image I was planning to upload), do I post a link to their website in the "Copyright Information" box, or do I put their answer in there?

Another option I found for a great photograph is one taken by a professional photographer who shared the image on his blog (in January 2012, he's still alive, thankfully). Would it be normal practice for a GR Librarian to contact someone like that and ask for permission to use the image? And do professional photographers usually accept? I'd hate to waste both my time and his.

I apologize again if these questions are silly, but I'm just a little confused and I wouldn't want to upload things I shouldn't be uploading.

Thank you for your time, Annie

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Unless a photo of an author is explicitly stated to be available for use, it's safer to assume that it isn't -- many copyrighted photos are shown on the copyright holders' websites. If you can find someone to ask about availability, you can also ask how they'd like to be credited; some people will want a specific name listed or a specific link provided. (I've often found that photographers are pleased to have their photos used here, but not all are, of course.) Also, note that sometimes professional photos are taken on behalf of an author or a publisher, in which case it's the author or the publisher who needs to give the permission (although credit will generally still go to the photographer).

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments Thank you so much for the reply! I shall contact the photographer then. Even if he isn't the copyright holder anymore, he can point me in the right direction.

Thank you again!

unread topics | mark unread