The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > Nominate your book choice for next month here!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Comments (showing 8-57)    post a comment »

message 57: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Hi Nicole -

The thread is "VOTE HERE for our December book!"

message 56: by [deleted user] (new)

Can someone please tell me where the voting thread is? Having a difficult time finding it.

Thanks.

message 55: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Nicole, go to the voting thread... the nominations have closed.

message 54: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay..I really have been out of the loop with this group but, I would like to vote for The Portable Dorothy Parker. Although I have read it...it has been a while and would love to pick it up again.

Sera Ah, ok - sorry about that. We have a good list. I'll wait until next month to nominate something.

message 52: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

No, I do. LOL But I want anyone who's been away to have one last chance to nominate, so voting begins tomorrow...

Sarah Null (songgirl7) You mean I have to stay up until midnight? LOL

message 50: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Last chance to vote!!! I will be posting the list on a voting thread at midnight PST. Thus far nominated I have:

Little Women
A Christmas Carol
Holidays on Ice
The Portable Dorothy Parker
Me Talk Pretty One Day
Great Expectations

** The Color of Water has been left off the list because it wasn't a Rory book. I'm very sorry, Sera, but if you want to nominate something else, look at our book list at the bottom of the main club page.

If you see any I have missed, please note them here. If you haven't nominated but wish to, this is your last chance!

message 49: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Hello everyone!
We should have the post up to vote sometime today.

Sarah - no problem ;) We will be sure to add Little Women.

Looks like we have a great selection of books to choose from. Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday!

Janet Mitchell | 19 comments I have no objection to Holidays on Ice. I love Sedaris and have alread read both of the Sedaris books. However, that doesn't mean I am not all for a good Christmas Story, dyfunctional and all...Kind of makes me feel like I'm home. Not to add too much to the mix, but I saw The Portable Dorthy Parker on the list and I thought that would be very interesting. Wasn't the production company of GG called Dorthy Parker, or something close to it?

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments I also agree books don't need to be linked, it's nice if they are, but it's not...not nice when they aren't. Does that even make sense? Lol.

I think we should vote within the first few days of this week for sure, just so everyone can be prepared before the massive amounts of travel that is the month of December.

Sera I'm up for reading whatever the group wants. I also agree that the books don't need to be linked. Let's just pick something good :)

Tiffany | 59 comments I just can't decide on a book to nominate so I am opting not to this time. Some great books have been mentioned and I think I would be happy with any of them. Can't wait to see what's selected!

message 44: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
When do we vote? I think we should vote for each of the two selections, as the nominations are so diverse (as stated above so, yes, I am being redundant. It's for emphasis, people!) (haha).

Sarah Null (songgirl7) Oh, I see that Tiffany nominated it (yay!) so forget what I just said. Hee hee.

Sarah Null (songgirl7) I could go for that. I would just have to decide if I should vote for Little Women (has it been officially nominated?) and A Christmas Carol.

Shannon, if Little Women hasn't been officially nominated, can I change my nomination and nominate it? Holidays on Ice was suggested by a few other people, so I'm sure it'll be on the list for voting, and I'd love to see Little Women on there too.

Meghan Seriously, I would be all for NOT having the classic be thematically linked to the contemporary (or attempted to be linked). Let's just read two good books this month. Wait, I want to read two good books every month, so what I mean is let's just read two books that we just want to read.

message 40: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

It looks like we have so many nominations for contemporary and classic, we may have to do a vote for each??

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Oh, and my husband and I read Oliver Twist out loud while I was pregnant with my now six year old. That's Dickens, right? The only way I could stay awake was when I was the reader. I just have this thing about non-20th century language. A Christmas Carol could be good, though, since the story is so familiar.

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I read HOI after having seen Santaland Diaries on stage. It was fun to read it, imagining the guy that was on stage doing the monologue. Yes, a fun, quick read. I put the book out on my coffee table during the Christmas season!

Meghan Okay, no movie discussion here. Start a new thread please! My brain is addled and I'm starting to get confused about the nominations.

But that said, I just purchased a beautifully illustrated version of A Christmas Carol in the children's section. Which means it was rewritten for us non-Dickens-lovin' folk and much more enjoyable. And the pictures are pretty. Dickens should always require pictures.

AND I picked up a copy of Holidays on Ice by Sedaris. Wow is that short. How fabulously wonderful for a busy month.

message 36: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

I'm really looking forward to seeing it. We talked about it, but were having too much fun to go sit in a theater today!

Sarah Null (songgirl7) OK, so, Enchanted? Cutest. Movie. Ever.

Sarah Null (songgirl7) You people are nuts. That's all there is to it. :P

message 33: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

But that IS a good start, Sarah...

message 32: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Um... my eyes glazed over somewhere between "sinner" and "flint." I think I snapped back a few words before the end of the paragraph. See! That's it! I'd have to re-read constantly! Hee. But that's why I nominated it (I'm so proud of me!) - to challenge myself. And to give the ba-- I mean the bloke another shot.

I was supposed to read A Tale of Two Cities in 9th grade. Cliff notes anyone? It was hell on earth - and I was a voracious and happy reader even then!!! It was the only time Mum had to help me with an English assignment.

But I already picked up a pristine copy of A Christmas Carol at our used bookstore (illustrated even!), so I'm in!

Used bookstores are a savior, B&N is like crack. I just CAN'T stop myself. And yes, because goodreads enhances my reading with being able to chat with you all (and because I have a list to check off!), I do find myself reading more.

I also keep having to figure out how to make the books fit nicely on my over-full shelves!

Sarah Null (songgirl7) Welcome, Amy!

Meghan, I just don't understand your thing about Dickens. OK, I can understand it about A Tale of Two Cities or David Copperfield, books I personally hate, but A Christmas Carol is short and beautifully written. We all know what a great story it is, but it's more than that. I love his prose in that piece. Try reading that paragraph aloud like you're telling a really good campfire ghost story. It's brilliant.

I also love the way it begins: "Marley was dead -- to begin with." Think about the people who would have read it for the first time, not having seen any stage or movie versions, not knowing what the story would be about. What an attention-grabber.

And the Muppet version is my all-time favorite. :)

Meghan Seriously Sarah, I think my eyes glazed over and I fell asleep at the keyboard reading just that paragraph. Dickens. bah humbug! LOL

But seriously, I will read Dickens if that is what is chosen. I hang up my prejudices at the door when it comes to this book club. I will try anything once, even if that includes Dickens. But I may cheat and just watch the many, many, many movie versions! Muppets Christmas Carol anyone?!

Amy | 74 comments First time poster on this group, but I say "here here" to Holidays on Ice. I've already read it, but it's a book to read every holiday. For the past few years a local theater has put on a play called "The Santaland Diaries" based on Sedaris' essays from the book. I can't wait to see it!

Tiffany I think I'm going to take my daughter to see Enchanted this weekend, too.

message 27: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Nov 21, 2007 08:40PM) (new)

Oops...I see McDreamy is not P. Charming. I guess I'll know the whole story soon enough...

Brooke I'm nominating Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Sarah Null (songgirl7) YES... I go in with my "to read" list and at times it can be overwhelming. I keep seeing books that are on my list and I have to remind myself that I don't have to buy them all at once.

I can't wait to see Enchanted! I have been looking forward to that movie since I saw the trailer at Harry Potter 5 over the summer. I love Patrick Dempsey and James Marsden. I think we are going tomorrow; we always go to the movies on Thanksgiving and Christmas. The theatres are usually practically empty!

message 24: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

With all of these great nominations, I now have no idea what to vote for. This will be fun.

Does anyone feel like, after being on GoodReads, that Barnes and Noble is like, of the devil now? I mean, I could literally go in there with a shopping cart. I totally had to limit myself. I just kept thinking, "maybe this is at the library..." but all those beautiful books! And I am totally reading so much more now thanks to GoodReads. (I know, I should probably start trading...)

Anyway...I'm going to see Enchanted today. Will see how McDreamy fares as Prince Charming...not much of a stretch there...

message 23: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Sarah - that prose if converting me to give it a go. ;)

Ok so I will extend time to get nominations until Monday or when? Makes no difference to me.

Sarah Null (songgirl7) I don't know how you guys can hate Dickens, especially in A Christmas Carol. Look at some of this fantastic prose!

"Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge! a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint, from which no steel had ever struck out generous fire; secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster. The cold within him froze his old features, nipped his pointed nose, shrivelled his cheek, stiffened his gait; made his eyes red, his thin lips blue; and spoke out shrewdly in his grating voice. A frosty rime was on his head, and on his eyebrows, and his wiry chin. He carried his own low temperature always about with him; he iced his office in the dog-days; and didn't thaw it one degree at Christmas."

Michele, I may just vote for your selection instead of mine in hopes of helping to convert some of you Dickens-haters! LOL

message 21: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

HOI was in the essay section in my B&N yesterday. It obviously varies.

While I like the idea of Holiday on Ice and Little Woman, I am nominating A Christmas Carol as I said in another thread because I want to do the Christmas thing up big this year and because I want to give Dickens one more chance. I've never liked him, but realize I may have changed just a tad over the last 15 or more years. A tad. So I'll give it a go... with one that he seems to lay off the excess of words a bit! Also I have been CRAVING a classic since our very first book that was so very short!

My goal is these three books next month with or without you all!! LOL I hope it's with.

Sarah Null (songgirl7) I saw that table at B&N but not the "Christmas Stories." I'll have to keep my eye out for it.

message 19: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Nov 21, 2007 09:26AM) (new)

Right. I was trying to say that I will be reading HOI regardless, and whatever we pick by vote as well, but I think it got a little wordy & confusing.

FYI, I was at B&N last night, and HOI is not in the essays or humor section. There is a Christmas section right as you walk in the door, and it was there. Also there was a beautiful book "Christmas Stories" and it had about 20-25 short stories in it...Truman Capote, Dickens, Tolstoy, I can't remember them all. But it looked very tempting. Not as a book club selection, but just in general. Maybe as a gift. It was around $15.

Tiffany I'm going to put LITTLE WOMEN out there, just because I'm in the mood for something heartfelt and sentimental right now.

LITTLE WOMEN - Louisa May Alcott
In picturesque nineteenth-century New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

Sarah Null (songgirl7) I agree, I think the cut off time should be next week to give holiday travelers a chance.

Jen (jesnifer) | 34 comments Great Expectations cautionary tale of a young man raised high above his station by a mysterious benefactor.
Choice for December because it reminds us of human greed and I personally find myself sometimes saying more, more especially around this season.

message 15: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Hey guys - don't forget this is just the nomination phase... and everyone gets to vote even if the don't nominate, so don't count your chickens before they hatch!

That said, I did pick up Holidays on Ice today as well. LOL But that is because as I said I will be doing all things Christmas this year... largely thanks to the discussions with this group! I'm so just completely in the moment/mood this year!

I'm still deciding between two books for my nomination, so it will come later. Yes, they are both Christmas books... well, one is for sure.

I still think the cut off times are a little tough for those traveling for the holidays. Especially as I see a lot of regular contributors haven't chimed in. What do you all think?

Blanca | 26 comments Thanks Sarah! Like I mentioned, I've been a little out of the loop - thanks for bringing me back in.

message 13: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Ditto that. I went to the library today and Holidays on Ice was unavailable, but I picked up Me Talk Pretty One Day. I'll probably read both. We could start a third thread if we wanted to discuss MTPOD, with no pressure to try to read all three. I'll probably read these even if we pick a different book via voting, unless it turns out to be War & Peace or something(doubtful).

Sarah Null (songgirl7) I love that scene with Rory and all her books, because that is how I am when I fly. I always have something that's pure fun and something that's a little more serious, and usually a nonfiction too.

Just a note about Holidays On Ice: I just picked it up at B&N (because I'm going to read it next month even if it isn't chosen) and it's suuuuuper short. It's 134 pages. So I personally plan to read it and Me Talk Pretty One Day back to back.

Meghan This so reminds me of that scene where Rory is packing up her backpack and Lorelai is teasing her about all her books. And she's like this book is my novel, this one's my lunch book, this is my bus book, but this one is my other bus book in case I'm in the mood for short stories/essays.

I'm totally willing to unlist my book, if we are getting to read any of Sedaris' work.

Sarah Null (songgirl7) I like the idea of short stories and essays. Also people who feel a lot of pressure to get the reading done but who are super busy with the holidays can choose which stories and essays they want to read - they don't have to read the whole collection.

message 9: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Nov 20, 2007 07:04AM) (new)

HOLIDAYS ON ICE. Because...what Sarah said.

Too sleepy to write a why at the moment. Mainly because it's Christmasy and should be light and funny. But, I'm easy and will read whatever given the chance to discuss it with people who want to.

JUST IN CASE this book is chosen...I was browsing and thinking about something to pair with it. There is Little Women which has some memorable Christmas scenes in it and is a classic...there are also several books on the list that are classic collections of stories or essays...LOTS of these types of books that might pair nicely i.e. collections of stories by Eudora Welty, Hemingway, Shirley Jackson, "How to Breathe Underwater" is a collection. Also collected essays by Gore Vidal and Nick Hornby. Just a thought. This could be like our "stories" or "essays" month. Mix it up a bit.

Sarah Null (songgirl7) Blanca, we (the group) read Wicked in October. So the good news is, if you read it on your own, you can go back and pull up our old threads and add your comments, and then our discussion can continue a little bit! It will be really interesting to get your take on it and to see if you have any new thoughts with which to enlighten us. :)

« previous 1
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Me Talk Pretty One Day (other topics)
SantaLand Diaries (other topics)
Barrel Fever (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Sedaris (other topics)