The Night Circus The Night Circus discussion

Should this book be made into a movie?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 316) (316 new)    post a comment »

Chad Selke I think that while it would be moderately difficult to portray the character development and convert the writing style to cinema, I do believe that the special effects would be stunning!

Valerie Yes, I would love to see a movie! It would be so amazing!

Robina I agree, as I was reading this I was imagining it would be great as a film. They would have to get it right though! IMDB show this as in development with a date of 2013. There's no cast list yet though. I'm not sure who I can imagine would play the characters. What do you think?

Erin M Yes, and Terry Gilliam should direct it!!

Chad Selke Idk....one of my friends said that it should be a Tim Burton film...

Kara I second that--Tim Burton would do a phenomenal job with this.

★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ I totally agree that Tim Burton should do this film he could capture the creepy-slightly off aspect of it. Or Tarsem Singh who did the Immortals and the Fall. Those movies are so beautifully done that I don't think you can really beat it. He could definitely capture the beauty of the Night Circus (:

Tracy I think it would make an incredible movie but can they get it right? Tim Burton would do an amazing job. I can't imagine anyone else. Character development ... maybe it would need to be an independent studio. Lion's Gate maybe? I think a colaboration is in order.

message 10: by Mika (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mika automatically wondering about the cast. maybe the movie posters will look like Isobel's tarot cards. you know, like the one showing Marco is the 'Bateleur' card, and such. :)

Caaleros This would be one of those movies to see in 3D and that is something I haven't said since Avatar.
I wonder how they would do on the story though. The book moves so slow to a lot of people it would be considered boring. The Night Circus's beauty is subtle and movies are anything but subtle. Movies need fast pace and action. I'm not sure how it would make the transfer from book to screen play.

message 12: by Mika (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mika maybe tim burton could direct it...make it like Alice and WOnderland.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Chad wrote: "I think that while it would be moderately difficult to portray the character development and convert the writing style to cinema, I do believe that the special effects would be stunning!"

I agree about the special effects, I think they could be amazing

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Mika wrote: "maybe tim burton could direct it...make it like Alice and WOnderland."

Mika, yes, I can see this!

Michelle i don't think they should make it into a movie. I'm afraid that they might ruin it.

Rebecca YES!!

Veronica Aesthetically it would look amazing! It would be so magical. I feel like it might be too soon after "Water for Elephants" but this movie would definitely have to be one that would take awhile with all of the effects, locations, etc. It would have the elements like the movie "Hugo".

I think it would be a great movie if it could be well done and they could simplify the complexities of the plot for audiences.

Matthew Hunter Yes on making a movie version of The Night Circus, and yes to Tim Burton! Or maybe Chocolat director Lasse Hallstrom? Or for an animated version, Henry Selick of Coraline?

Veronica Oh, Tim Burton would give it that twist! Love that idea. So, what character would Johnny Depp play, then? Lol.

Silent_count No, no, no... HELL NO!

Well, I'd like to see an adaptation if it were done right, but I'd rather that they didn't make a movie at all than make one which is anything short of perfect.

'Magical' is a binary state. It either captures your soul, inhabits your conscious thoughts and pervades your dreams... or it doesn't. A "nearly magical" adaptation wouldn't do justice to the book. It'd have to be perfect! And I don't have enough faith in Hollywood to get there.

If y'all want to throw around directors, it would have to be someone who can do, "dark yet fanciful". My pick would be Guillermo del Toro (see, for example, Pan's Labyrinth [2006]).

Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤  yes!!!!i like so mutch this book...

Gaenolee Silent_count wrote: "No, no, no... HELL NO!

Well, I'd like to see an adaptation if it were done right, but I'd rather that they didn't make a movie at all than make one which is anything short of perfect.

'Magical' i..."

Absolutely - when I contemplated a film, I immediately thought of "Pan's Labyrinth". And yes, possibly 3-D as well...

Jenny No! They would screw it up. Series would be better considering the many components in the book and there are so many different perspectives.

The Loopy Librarian I would love to see this as a movie!

Veronica Silent_count wrote: "No, no, no... HELL NO!

'Magical' i..."

Pans Labyrinth <3

Liz (The Bookish Liz) It would have to take one talented director to pull it off well...I don't think Tim Burton would be the best man for the job. Not with what he's been doing recently. Ten years ago, I would have said yes. The movie version needs someone who has a visual eye, and who can think about an experience.

Talia Yes, yes, and more yes! I loved this book. I personally think that Tim Burton would ruin this wonderful story. I can't stand James and the Giant Peach or any of the other weird movies he's made. Someone with a more sophisticated touch that wouldn't turn this into a freak show or a creepy cartoon would be a better choice.

Yvonne It could be a spectacular movie

message 29: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Campbell I think of movies as impressions like a piano arrangement of a symphony. I LOVED this book and would love to see what Hollywood might do with it.

Jeanie Of course the visual elements of the Night Circus are tailor-made for film. Other elements of what made this book so special won't translate as well. I still remember the smells and tastes of the circus in that book, I doubt the film can convey it. The construction of the story was like the Night Circus itself, paths going in many directions at the same time with small set pieces along the way in which the characters develop. The out-of-order chronology might be too confusing for film-goers if not simplified.

This would be a film adaptation that would almost have to invent its own magic in order to tell its story, rather than rely on much of the magic of the book. This makes it very risky since many readers are so in love with the book in its entirety, an organic whole that is totally dependent on every one of its parts but greater than their sum.

I'm afraid everyone would end up disappointed in some significant aspect of the book that was changed and few, if any, would be thoroughly pleased. But the visuals might be so worth it!

Rachel While I didn't love the storyline, I loved the imagery of the circus at the fin de siecle. It would make a stunning movie what with all the possibilities with set and costume design. The storyline, on the other hand, would need a fantastic screenwriter to redeem it.

Marie Loughin Jeanie wrote: "Of course the visual elements of the Night Circus are tailor-made for film. Other elements of what made this book so special won't translate as well. I still remember the smells and tastes of the..."

Well said. I agree.

message 33: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I would love to see this book come to life! I loved the imagery, there would most definitely have to be wonderous special effects, but those would be doable these days! I wonder about Peter Jackson as a Director, not conventional certainly, but what in the book was? Casting would be interesting...

message 34: by Stephanie (last edited Apr 03, 2012 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie DaSilva I'm sorry but i have to say NO.

Mostly, is the fact that i have yet to see a movie based from a book, that i thought the createors did the book justice.

Also being that this sotry was a such a magical experince, it's highly unlikely that would be captured correctly on screen. Example, the Time Traveler's Wife movie, was aweful! I still can't believe i paid 10$ to watch one of my favorite stories be ruined on the big screen.

Hollywood is going to try to make a low budget film, and will lose all the magic that came to life in the book while reading. I want to keep my imagination of the book as the only verison, instead of the bad hollywood experience.

If they make a movie, of course i'll go watch it, then i'll be on here, commenting how they f*cked up the movie!!

Rike' Storyline, maybe. It was a little too slow for my liking.

Cinematography and special effects- definitely :D

Michelle Will Yes definitely! While I was reading it I could not help but picture each scene like a movie. It would have to be done by someone extravagant. I was thinking about Baz Lurhmann (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet)...

Veronica I still think it would be too soon after "Water for Elephants".

message 38: by A. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A. Marie No, I don't think it would be too interesting as a film, but I could be wrong. For a small second there while reading, I thought of an actual Night Circus traveling the country re-enacting events from the book.

Belle It would be a beautiful film I'm sure.

Wendy We always say the book was better than the movie... I would be devastated if it wasn't all I imagined. I have found, however, a series has a better chance of getting it right. In the wake of other incredible series such as Carnivale, Deadwood, and the current Game of Thrones, I'd love to see this picked up and loved into being by HBO.

Gaenolee Wendy wrote: "We always say the book was better than the movie... I would be devastated if it wasn't all I imagined. I have found, however, a series has a better chance of getting it right. In the wake of other ..."
That's a superb idea, and one in which a studio wouldn't be forced to put a "star" into a lead role just to attract dollars at the box office.

Wendy Gaenolee wrote: "...and one in which a studio wouldn't be forced to put a "star" into a lead role just to attract dollars at the box office."
Exactly!!

message 43: by Kerri (new) - added it

Kerri The writers, director, and editors need to make sure that the audience follows the timeline, because there were times when I got lost, & had to go back & check and see where I was & to get what was going on. Other than that it's an awesome idea as long as the magic doesn't get lost in special effects and such...That's all

Andrea Spencer They are already starting to film a movie actually.

Veronica Andrea wrote: "They are already starting to film a movie actually."

I heard about that.

Ilana It definitely should. Tink of the visual effects of the circuit, and the couldron. It would even be amazing as 3d

Andrea Spencer yah, supposedly the movie will be produced by the makers of the harry potter movies... cant wait to see the cast. I know some people at my school who would be perfect for some of the roles.

Natalie I think this would make an amazing movie. It's a very visual book and would look great on screen!

Kimberly Morgenstern's writing is so descriptive, it's easy to imagine The Night Circus on the big screen!

Katrina It would be an amazing movie visually, but I don't believe there is enough plot (for lack of a better phrase) to make a movie. Not a lot happens plot-wise... but I would still definitely see the movie regardless.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Night Circus (other topics)