Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Not exactly different "different" editions

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Carter (John_Carter) | 11 comments I was just adding Pudd’nhead Wilson to my owned books, and I found nine editions published by Signet Classics in January of 1964. Eight of them had no cover picture or page count, so I chose the ninth to identify as mine—but it was completely arbitrary. My copy has no ISBN and those in the database have nine different ISBNs. Despite the evidence of the ISBNs, Signet Classics cannot possibly have produced nine truly different editions of the same book in the same month. Is there any way to combine these?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 23963 comments Mod
If they have valid ISBNs, the question is not whether they should be combined, but whether their publication dates should be verified.

message 3: by John (new)

John Carter (John_Carter) | 11 comments I made a slight mistake there--only eight of the editions had publication dates in 1964, and the one with page numbers was the ninth. Its publication date is 2007. And that's the only ISBN Penguin's web site is willing to acknowledge exists. The Library of Congress doesn't accept any of them. Are there other sources I should be checking?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 23963 comments Mod
WorldCat is often a good reference for publication dates.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 4098 comments WorldCat doesn't have records for many, many Signet editions. I've wondered about those many Signets myself (there are billions of them in the GR database). There has to be a record of those ISBNs somewhere. Where, though.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Pudd'nhead Wilson is listed on WorldCat as a 1980 publication by New American Library (signet classic series).

Pudd'nhead Wilson, Pudd'nhead Wilson, Pudd'nhead Wilson and Pudd'nhead Wilson aren't listed on WorldCat.

message 7: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Would OpenLibrary.org help any?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pudd'nhead Wilson (other topics)