Q&A with Stacia Kane discussion

Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
This topic is about Chasing Magic
CHASING MAGIC {SPOILERS}

Comments (showing 1-50 of 99) (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) (TheBookNympho) I know it doesn't come out until June but a group of us have been approved for ARCs through Netgalley so I thought I would start a thread for us to talk about it as we read.

Emily | 110 comments I'm excited and I don't get to read it until June :(

message 4: by Stacia (new) - added it

Stacia Kane (staciakane) | 157 comments Mod
Is this a thread I can read/participate in, or would you all feel more comfortable if I stay out and let you discuss amongst yourselves? Since you started it as a let's-talk-as-we-read (which is of course totally fine), I wanted to check.

Please be honest; I won't be upset or anything if you'd rather I not intrude. (But I confess I'm dying to know what you all think; so much happens in this one! Heh.)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) (AnnCraven) | 4 comments Yes yes!! I can only speak for myself, but I would def love hearing your thoughts on this book. (Which btw is AWESOME! I'm savoring it. The wait for the next one is too long. )

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments I wish I could read it before June!!!

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Stacia, it's the best one in the series so far....

Emily | 110 comments I'm jealous!

message 10: by Stacia (new) - added it

AH wrote: "Stacia, it's the best one in the series so far...."

Do you think so, AH? Thank you!

I honestly have zero perspective when it comes to how good they are or not; I mean, objectively I think they're decent books, but they're never as good on paper as I want them to be or as I imagine them being. I always just see flaw after flaw, stuff I didn't delve deeply enough into, stuff I didn't explain well enough, stuff I didn't expand on, stuff I should have cut shorter.

I do *like* CM and am generally pleased with it, but I think it could have been better. I don't think the theme is clear enough and I don't think some of Chess's emotional battles with herself are clear enough. :-) But like I said, I'm never really able to look back and say "Yeah, that one was great!" Sigh.

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH OOPs, Stacia - I was talking about Sacrificial Magic. Haven't read Chasing Magic yet.....My bad.

message 12: by Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) (last edited Mar 17, 2012 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) (AnnCraven) | 4 comments Stacia, I think both books you'll be releasing are very good! I loved that Terrible and Chess were together for most of CM. Certain parts broke my heart though!

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments About 1/2 way done right now. Lovin' that we get more happy Chess/Terrible time... well as happy as you can get in Downside ;) I'm worried though because I think I remember one of the girls having an outburst around this mark. Getting worried :(

message 15: by Emmy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy | 9 comments Stacia wrote: "AH wrote: "Stacia, it's the best one in the series so far...."

Do you think so, AH? Thank you!

I honestly have zero perspective when it comes to how good they are or not; I mean, objectively I t..."

This is really one of the best series out there! You don't know how refreshing it is to find an author whose writing I can relate to. I'm talking music, fashion, all the ugly little internal demons we face. I've read books where the author is so out of touch with the "younger" things happening that the clothing or the way the characters speak is so unrelateable. I still have read that particular author but confess to have dropping the series do to it being out of touch. I'm no spring chicken but have a youthful heart and like to play. I love the music you include! Some I've already listened to and some you've created a new fan with.

Seriously, thank you so much for this series.

I feel it's more apparent the demons she's fighting. So much is changing for her and I don't feel you shorted any of that. It's raw and comes across as very real.

Terrible always but will there be more Lex? I have a soft spot for him. I think he likes Chess more than he cares to admit.

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments Why do you do this to me in every book Stacia??? You have a way of making my heart feel like it's being ripped out of my chest :( Once I got through that (view spoiler)

Lesley I absolutely agree Becky about feeling that your heart is being ripped out of your chest. I got both Sacrificial Magic and Chasing Magic from Netgalley and literally spent all weekend in Downside, I actually cried at one particular part of Chasing Magic it really got to me. I seriously loved both books, and as the queen of pre-orders I have Chasing Magic already on order:)

message 18: by Stacia (new) - added it

What did everyone think about (view spoiler)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments The Elder Griffin part (view spoiler)

message 20: by Stacia (new) - added it

Becky (Underworld Love Addiction) wrote: "Why do you do this to me in every book Stacia??? You have a way of making my heart feel like it's being ripped out of my chest :( Once I got through that [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Stacia (last edited Mar 31, 2012 06:00PM) (new) - added it

Becky (Underworld Love Addiction) wrote: "The Elder Griffin part [spoilers removed]"

Yes, but (view spoiler)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 13 comments I loved that (view spoiler)

Carrie (DyslexicSquirrel) | 21 comments Argh why do I do this to myself? I know reading spoilers will make me more antsy to read the book and I do it anyway! Can June be tomorrow? >_>

catherine james (catherinejames) *Weeps over having to wait until June.*

Carrie (DyslexicSquirrel) | 21 comments catherine wrote: "*Weeps over having to wait until June.*"

Word.

Stephanie DeCost | 2 comments By far my most favorite of the series! I love all the struggles Chess goes through in this book and the outcome she gets as well! I was disappointed with Elder Griffin though, not what I expected. It felt as if this could be an ending or not I am not completely sure but I really hope there is one more to the series I still have a lot of unanswered questions! We are finally just getting in touch with the real Chess and Terrible and it would be a shame to lose them like this, not to mention Lex! Very awsome plot twists loved every min. couldn't put it down once I started and can't wait to reread it in Jyne once I actually own it!! Well done!

Jamie | 42 comments AH wrote: "Stacia, it's the best one in the series so far...."

Agreed 100 %. It's my fave, with CoG a close second.

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Pamela (new) - added it

Pamela (Pageturner54) | 1 comments This is the first time I've read a paranormal series where the main character is a drug addict. Surprisingly, I loved it. I never realized how tired I was of the perfect main character, with the perfect hair, perfect lips, etc. This is fantastic! Are there any other authors like Ms. Kane out there? I am devouring her books and am now thoroughly addicted (ok, to me that was funny!).

Tasha Pamela wrote: "I never realized how tired I was of the perfect main character, with the perfect hair, perfect lips, etc"

I agree, Pamela; that's part of the reason why I love this series so much. It's so refreshing to read about lead characters that aren't super model gorgeous and are completely relatable.

Jamie | 42 comments Something that is on a smaller scale that I really liked/noticed about this book was the sky metaphor. Where Chess first looks at the sky and feels a vast loneliness. Later in the book she looks at the sky and feels completely different about it.

Am I a dork for loving these little things? LOL!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments Ok, so I got approved for a Galley from Edelweiss ... and finished it yesterday. As I stated on Twitter, it is my new favorite book ever!

Jamie: I loved the sky parts too. You are not a dork, :-)

I can't even form a coherent thought yet about this book. All I know is I already want to re-read it.

Jamie | 42 comments Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* wrote: "Ok, so I got approved for a Galley from Edelweiss ... and finished it yesterday. As I stated on Twitter, it is my new favorite book ever!

Jamie: I loved the sky parts too. You are not a dork, :-)..."

Thanks, Laura ;-)

I'm having a difficult time writing a review because I'm really just gushing about it. And considering I highlighted 55 passages/quotes, I'm having trouble getting it down to a reasonable length, lol!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments HAHA! I know the feeling! :-) I wrote a draft of the review, and still included 6 or 7 quotes. And I was just gushing. I think I will look at it again in a day or two, when I come down from my high. :-)

message 34: by Stacia (new) - added it

Stephanie wrote: "By far my most favorite of the series! I love all the struggles Chess goes through in this book and the outcome she gets as well! I was disappointed with Elder Griffin though, not what I expected. ..."

There's definitely at least one more in the series. It's already contracted. And as for further books, my agent and I are seriously discussing the possibility of self-publishing them, depending on what happens with offers etc.

To be perfectly honest...I have my reservations about the idea. But I also know about what my sales levels are, and I know how that could translate for me as far as income were I to publish them myself. So it's something we're discussing.

message 35: by Stacia (new) - added it

Jamie wrote: "Something that is on a smaller scale that I really liked/noticed about this book was the sky metaphor. Where Chess first looks at the sky and feels a vast loneliness. Later in the book she looks ..."

Thank you! I was actually really pleased with/proud of that, so it's exciting to see someone really liked it!

message 36: by Stacia (new) - added it

Pamela wrote: "This is the first time I've read a paranormal series where the main character is a drug addict. Surprisingly, I loved it. I never realized how tired I was of the perfect main character, with the ..."

Which is one of the big reasons why I wanted to write it, because I'm sick of those heroines, too. :-)

Ferdy (ferdy21) | 42 comments Stacia wrote: "Pamela wrote: "This is the first time I've read a paranormal series where the main character is a drug addict. Surprisingly, I loved it. I never realized how tired I was of the perfect main chara..."

Hear, hear..I never used to mind those heroines when only I read now and again but ever since I started to read a few books every week, I've come to despise those heroines..ugh, practically every author has the same bloody, blushing Mary Sue, doesn't realise she's pretty, virginal, annoying heroine..it's like I'm realding the same book over and over. That's why I love Chess and Annabelle from Blood on the Bayou..they actually have layers and their own personality.

message 38: by Stacia (new) - added it

Jamie wrote: (view spoiler)

Question, though. (view spoiler)

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments I think it does. He tried to find an alternative. Still was kind of a dick move, but at least I could understand it.

It will be interesting to see where all their relationships go from here. (view spoiler)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments :( I can't help looking at these posts, but I hurry and I never read the *spoilers*......... lol, it makes me feel like a junkie, justifying

Carrie (DyslexicSquirrel) | 21 comments Sarah wrote: ":( I can't help looking at these posts, but I hurry and I never read the *spoilers*......... lol, it makes me feel like a junkie, justifying"

I totally read the spoilers hahaha Reading a spoiler isn't the same for me as actually reading it in the moment in the book, you know what I mean? I need my fix...

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments I know Carrie, but the guilt would kill me!

But, since you read the spoilers and haven't burst into flame.......

just sayin.....

I mean, I guess I could just peek

Jamie | 42 comments Stacia wrote: "Jamie wrote: [spoilers removed]

Question, though. Does the fact that Lex really tried very hard to find an alternative--in getting Terrible to come work for him--mitigate that at all? He wasn't jo..."

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Stacia (new) - added it

Jamie wrote: (view spoiler)

Well, that's definitely a problem; notice that (view spoiler)

You'll just have to wait and see what happens next. :-)

Jamie | 42 comments Stacia wrote: "Jamie wrote: [spoilers removed]

Well, that's definitely a problem; notice that [spoilers removed]

You'll just have to wait and see what happens next. :-)"

(view spoiler)

BTW - thank you so much for taking the time to answer fan questions and to ask some of your own. It's so very cool of you, and I know that I and everyone else in this group appreciate it very much!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (LauraLittleReadRidingHood) | 148 comments I second that! It is amazing to be able to talk to you and get some more insight into my favorite characters.

On that note I am surprised no one seems to have mentioned (view spoiler)

BTW, I read most of this on a plane, and kept giggling to myself. I am sure the couple sitting next to me thought I was crazy. :-) I am totally ok with that.

Emily | 110 comments Whatever Laura. They were JEALOUS OF YOU!

message 49: by Stacia (new) - added it

Jamie wrote: "Stacia wrote: "Jamie wrote: [spoilers removed]

Well, that's definitely a problem; notice that [spoilers removed]

You'll just have to wait and see what happens next. :-)"

I guess I said that wro..."

Oh, no, Jamie, you didn't say anything wrong! Don't worry, please. I was agreeing with you, not disagreeing. :-)

(view spoiler)

Jamie | 42 comments I think Chess started (view spoiler)

You really do have a knack for writing intense, complicated and unforgettable characters! I can't wait for the upcoming short!!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread