The Equity Book Group discussion

Shooting Kabul
This topic is about Shooting Kabul
Shooting Kabul

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

David Hernandez Saca | 36 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

Below is a link to a book list of children’s books put out by NPR.org during this month of March:

http://www.npr.org/templates/archives...

One of them caught my eye: Shooting Kabul by N.H. Senzai.

Book Summary:

Escaping from Taliban-controlled Afghanistan in the summer of 2001, eleven-year-old Fadi and his family immigrate to the San Francisco Bay Area, where Fadi schemes to return to the Pakistani refugee camp where his little sister was accidentally left behind.

Happy Reading! David

Shooting KabulN.H.

Senzai

Leon Begay (lcbegay) | 1 comments I really enjoyed this excerpt from this book. I like stories about escape or survival. There was another book called The Great Escape, that is an account by Paul Brickhill who escaped a German prisoners's camp in 1944 and it has the same feeling as stories like that. I like the suspense and it seems like a great story about survival and history in Afghanistan which as become a household name for people who talk about US foreign policy. I think that this book does create a great picture of the human rights struggles of people in Afghanistan from the past. It also brings some answers and validity to why the US is occupying the country now. However, there are more parts to US foreign policy that go deeper into the issue, but this is an important part to the struggles and oppression of a people in a far away land. As for a children's book, I believe that this book creates a better worldview for Americans that can create better knowledge about the struggles with religious based governments. I was liking the dialogue between the family about their struggles in Taliban controlled Afghanistan. When Habib said that religion should not be forced but instead embraced by the heart. That is true and important when dissecting the issues in the Middle East.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shooting Kabul (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

N.H. Senzai (other topics)