Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

Comments & Ideas

Comments (showing 51-87 of 87) (87 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 201 comments Thomas wrote: "Tell you what, writing a book is easy, compared to keeping up with email and posts. I need three of me, networked..."

Amen to that Thomas. I started working on the outline for The Prototypes almost six months ago, then attended a lecture on marketing two months ago and haven't touched the outline since.

Recently, however, I read an article on a survey that was done of indi-pubs and it said the writers who spend more time writing than they do promoting and marketing their work actually make more money (obviously you would think 'sure, that's just because they have more titles out there to make money on) but it also said that the big money makers tend to take longer to write a story before pubbing it than the ones that make less (of course, the more time you spend the better quality it is) and they tend to make more money PER title (that's a title-by-title income comparison, not necessarily a cost-per-book comparison) on their work.

I guess writing is the way to go as an indie. So I need to force myself to spend less time marketing The Citizens and more time working on the rest of the series ... but it's hard to do.

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 55 comments I'd have to agree on the "taking time" part. I read a post by someone on twitter that said the authors who make more spend 25% more time per word on their work. That includes editing and such, of course. My publisher is taking time with mine, editing, beta readers, and then some reviews, all before publishing, and it's making me nuts - but I recognize the reasoning.

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 55 comments And good morning, by the way! :)

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 55 comments L.M., i just went and had a look at "The Citizens". Wow...with a write-up like that, who wouldn't be curious?

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 201 comments Thomas wrote: "I'd have to agree on the "taking time" part. I read a post by someone on twitter that said the authors who make more spend 25% more time per word on their work. That includes editing and such, of c..."

Yeah I think that statistic was from the survey that I mentioned. It's been a big buzz in the internet for the last month or so, ever since the report came out. It is centered around indie-pubs but still contains useful information for traditionals as well.

Thomas wrote: "L.M., i just went and had a look at "The Citizens". Wow...with a write-up like that, who wouldn't be curious?"

Thank you Thomas! Just wondering which write up you're referring to. I have a few floating around in various places in an attempt to "test" them out and see which ones are receiving the best public response. I would like to know which one impressed you. :)

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 55 comments The one on the BN site...it describes the town and the folks in it. Wild place :) I'm hooked already...

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 55 comments This one...

Imagine a town where you can stay out as late as you want, wake up when it suits you, you never have to go to work, and everything is free for the taking. Sounds perfect right? But what if you can't remember where you are or how you got there? What if you can't ever leave? And what if the only other people around are hostages, just like you? Would you still want to stay?

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 201 comments Ah roger! That's the one that is on the back of the paperback so I am relieved to know that you like it (reformatting a paperback cover is a PAIN! lol).

What did you want to chat about?

Caron Rider | 22 comments A game idea might be (since there are some writers here) to create a story by only using titles of books. Maybe each person contributing would create a sentence or two (using only titles with a few exceptions like conjunctions and articles) and then the next person would continue the story so that it makes sense. Too complicated? or too fun?

For instance it might start: The demon awakens in Witch World. By the light of the moon, he sees a trey of swords.

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 55 comments I actually just sent you an email on that. I'm headed to lunch, and I'll be back at 12:30...:)

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03Tammy-Lynn) | 333 comments Not sure where to post this, as there are not comments to be posted in the bom threads. My posts keep going missing. Are they being deleted? Have I done something to offend one of the mods?

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 55 comments Tammy wrote: "Not sure where to post this, as there are not comments to be posted in the bom threads. My posts keep going missing. Are they being deleted? Have I done something to offend one of the mods?"
Hi...what are you posting?

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03Tammy-Lynn) | 333 comments I was posting nominations in the book of the month, so far 2 have gone missing.

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 55 comments Tammy wrote: "I was posting nominations in the book of the month, so far 2 have gone missing."
Huh...must be saboteuge! Seriously, I'd ask the moderator..might be a glitch...

message 65: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Rebecca Nolan (RNolanAuthor) | 441 comments Mod
Tammy wrote: "Not sure where to post this, as there are not comments to be posted in the bom threads. My posts keep going missing. Are they being deleted? Have I done something to offend one of the mods?"

You haven't done anything to offend me Tammy :-) I will look into as, I think if you nominate a book that has already been nominated it will get deleted but that is the only thing I can think of. Muse is head of BotM now so feel free to send her a message as it is 3:30am here so I won't be able to check until later as i need sleep:-)

message 66: by Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (last edited Jun 08, 2012 04:37PM) (new)

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03Tammy-Lynn) | 333 comments Lol, I don't think it is sabotage. I just thought it was odd is all.
Ok Thanks Rebecca.

Babs | 1 comments Did anyone see this sophisticated English ghost story by Kingsley Amis, the masterly adaptation featuring brilliant Albert Finney?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrfXGO...

Jennifer Oliver (Jennifer_L_Oliver) | 35 comments L.M. wrote: "Thomas wrote: "Tell you what, writing a book is easy, compared to keeping up with email and posts. I need three of me, networked..."

Hi!
I was just reading this chain of comments and I think I read the same article you did about the more successful indie authors not spending as much time on marketing.
Though I do recognize the reasoning behind it, I feel for a budding or new author, marketing is essential. The key is doing it with the most bang for your buck, or in this case for your time.
Have you read "We Are Not Alone?" by Kristen Lamb? Its all about social media and marketing. Her WANA concepts work. I took a class from her not long ago about building your author platform and it was awesome. When I did as she suggested, my blog traffic doubled and I started getting more followers on Twitter and Facebook. Not to mention, I found a great community of other writers and authors that have been so supportive and encouraging. I highly recommend looking into it and joining the WANAtribe as well. Hope that helps! :)

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 201 comments Do you have a link you could offer for the WANAtribe Jennifer?

Jennifer Oliver (Jennifer_L_Oliver) | 35 comments L.M. wrote: "Do you have a link you could offer for the WANAtribe Jennifer?"

OH! Yes, I meant to list it earlier.
Here is Kristen's blog to give you more information about WANA and the tribe: http://bit.ly/M0dfXD

And here is the WANAtribe link: bit.ly/KJAjPI

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. And if you join up and need a little help figuring it all out, let me know. I'll be more than happy to help!

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 201 comments Thanks!

Thomas Rydder (ThomasRydder) | 55 comments Good morning, all!
I've started a new group - "Put a Pretty Picture on it", and like to invite everyone to join. It's a group for cover artists, and I've sent out invitations to a couple already. It will be a forum where authors and artists can collaborate, and hopefully, come up with a match for their work. Come on by!

Thomas
http://thomasrydder.wordpress.com/

message 73: by Lisa, R2R Admin & Group Creator (new)

Lisa Goldman | 452 comments Mod
I love the banner. Very cool:)

message 74: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Muse (musesinspire) | 200 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "I love the banner. Very cool:)"

;-)

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 167 comments Yeah, the new banner is fantastic! I love it! :)

David | 2 comments I'm fairly new to Goodreads and groups but I liked how this one was set up. Can someone tell me if there is a place within the group for members to post their own writings to be read and reviewed by other members of the group? If not, is that something that we could possibly do with this group? I'm a writer of horror and similar subjects and I'd love to find somewhere to post my work for others on here to see. I understand this group is mainly for reading and reviewing books that have been published, but I think it would be interesting to have reviews of the members writings too.

message 77: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

David wrote: "I'm fairly new to Goodreads and groups but I liked how this one was set up. Can someone tell me if there is a place within the group for members to post their own writings to be read and reviewed b..."

It depends on what you're looking for. We do have a section called Read 2 Review, but that is for complete books and authors are chosen at random. The rules are listed in it.

We also have the Self Promotion section, so you could check to see if that meets your needs.

If none of this is what you are looking for, please PM us mods with more detail and we'll from there, ok?

Thank you and welcome aboard! We're happy you like us!

~Muse
PNH Lovers Moderator

message 78: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Yeah, the new banner is fantastic! I love it! :)"

Thank you! I thought we looked a little bare, so I threw it together. Not my best work, but I'm glad you guys like it! :-)

message 79: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Samantha wrote: "This is my contribution to Rebecca's suggestion of us creating a banner."

Rebecca tried to use your banner, but you have it locked within your Yahoo account...

Samantha | 55 comments looks great ... didn't realise mine was locked... let me know if you ever want to use it I can send you the file

Tyler (thegraverobber9) | 4 comments Hi all, I have a comment regarding the BOTM nominations. Do you think its good to allow people to nominate their own books for BOTM?

For some reason, I find myself skipping over anyone who nominates themselves. I am tending to only vote for the books that someone else has nominated.

Just an idea. Keep up the great work with this group.

Thanks

message 82: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Tyler wrote: "Hi all, I have a comment regarding the BOTM nominations. Do you think its good to allow people to nominate their own books for BOTM?

For some reason, I find myself skipping over anyone who nominat..."

Hi Tyler,

We allow people to nominate themselves as a way of supporting new indie authors. Some of the authors are amazingly talented in this group but might not have the fan base yet to get noticed. It is also why we ask for a blurb of the story that we might find out more about the story.

The problem we are having is that some are forgetting to nominate in the big press BotM which I have sent a msg to everyone about.

I hope this explains our decision a little better :)

message 83: by Muse, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Tyler wrote: "Hi all, I have a comment regarding the BOTM nominations. Do you think its good to allow people to nominate their own books for BOTM?

For some reason, I find myself skipping over anyone who nominat..."

As Rebecca said, we use this as a means to allow authors to self-promote. But as stated in the Nomination Rules,

You may nominate yourself for either category, as long as it fits that category. However, you are allowed to submit that book for three times only.

Please contact me if you have any other questions regarding the BotM policies. :-)

Gertie (Hurdygertie) | 7 comments I do have one concern- I've noticed I get a lot (imo) of messages from this group, around ten over the last month. I think if they were condensed into fewer, it might make us more likely to read them. (Maybe not though, I'm just guessing. :-P ) It does help that the messages often have something useful to share. I know each group is different, and maybe members here are generally more receptive to getting more broadcast messages, but I just felt like bringing it up.

message 85: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Gertie wrote: "I do have one concern- I've noticed I get a lot (imo) of messages from this group, around ten over the last month. I think if they were condensed into fewer, it might make us more likely to read th..."

I am sorry it has taken me a while to see this and reply. I have been away for a bit :(. I'll get the other head mods together and we will see if we can cut it down by half maybe. It is hard with Read 2 Review and Book of the month but we will get brainstorming and see what we can do :D

Gertie (Hurdygertie) | 7 comments Thanks for listening!

M.E. Franco | 12 comments L.M. wrote: "I know that we're kind of already doing this with the read-to-review but many of us have already read books by small press and indie authors and we've probably even taken the time to write reviews ..."

Thank you for saying that. It's so true. Great idea!

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Life Eternal (other topics)