YA Book Council discussion

Official Selections > Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (last edited Dec 11, 2008 08:54AM) (new)

Jane (janeg) | 248 comments Mod
YABC's January's book is Wildwood Dancing by Juliet MarillierWildwood Dancing. We'll be having a discussion on Jan. 11th, 2009 at 7pm. Online blogging will start promptly at 7:30 PST (California time). Post your comments and questions here.

message 2: by SheWunders (last edited Dec 11, 2008 06:07AM) (new)

SheWunders | 13 comments Oh, yay yay yay! I love this book. I'll have to re-read it, but it will be a pleasure. :o)

message 3: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Hurray! I've got it reserved at the library - I hope it comes in soon!

message 4: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments Hello All! I really enjoyed Wildwood Dancing and I have to say, I did not expect much from it and was plesantly surprised. I may or may not be able to join the discussion tomorrow but I will try. Just want to let you all know.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 15 comments Jane wrote: "YABC's January's book is Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier[b:Wildwood Dancing|13929|Wildwood Dancing|Julie..."

I don't think I'll be able to join the discussion - too late for an EST girl who has to get up at 5 a.m. to get to work on time. :) Let me know what's talked about though! I'm almost done with Wildwood Dancing. :)

Jen

message 6: by Alethea (last edited Jan 11, 2009 11:16AM) (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 246 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Jane wrote: "YABC's January's book is Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier[b:Wildwood Dancing|13929|Wildwood ..."

Hey Jen, Suzy and everyone else--we moved the meeting earlier--4:30 pm is about when we finish eating and start discussing. That makes about 7:30 pm for you. Jane and Alfonso will be posting online and then I will be posting at about 7-7:30 pm our time.

message 7: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments I meant to pick up the library copy again yesterday (I have it on hold) because it's been awhile since I read it, but I forgot :( I hope I can remember details!!

message 8: by David (new)

David (davidshead) | 14 comments I'm in Malibu still so I might have to blog.

message 9: by Alethea (new)

Hi, all! Welcome to Online Blogging (part 1) for Wildwood Dancing! We'll be stuffing our faces for the next 10 minutes... so gather your thoughts and we'll see you in 10!

message 10: by David (new)

David (davidshead) | 14 comments I'm missing out on my favorite part.

message 11: by Alethea (new)

Jane was thinking about P&P the whole time, with the 5 sisters, the similar characters, the marriage market, etc...

message 12: by Alethea (new)

Roxy was annoyed by Tatiana's wasting away phase...

message 13: by Alethea (new)

Nancy says, mmm, David, dinner's really good!

message 14: by Alethea (new)

We were all thinking that Sorrow was going to be a really bad guy... and were surprised when he wasn't.

message 15: by Alethea (new)

The frog thing totally threw Nancy off. She thought: Was that really the guy from the mirror, or someone else?

message 16: by Alethea (new)

Alethea thought it had a lot to do with the story, The Twelve Dancing Princesses.

message 17: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments Alethea wrote: "Roxy was annoyed by Tatiana's wasting away phase..."

I totally agree with Roxy.

message 18: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments Hello all, Hope you had a good dinner.

message 19: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments Alethea wrote: "We were all thinking that Sorrow was going to be a really bad guy... and were surprised when he wasn't."

I thought he was going to be a bad guy too.

message 20: by Alethea (new)

Jane was just glad that it didn't turn out like Under the Blood Red Sun, where the author could not seem to make up her mind on which time period she was in.

message 21: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments I'm not too familiar with the history of Transylvania but the book definitely made me want to read more about the place and time.

message 22: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments I'm not too sure why she had to have so many sisters. I kept having to go back to figure out which when each of the sisters were. Might just be me but it was a little annoying.

message 23: by Alethea (new)

I was just glad that Jane wasn't serving cheese and starch gruel as our theme dinner (we are having chicken and pasta).

message 24: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments mmmm wow I just made chicken and pasta too. with a mushroom cream sauce :)

message 25: by Alethea (new)

Jane, note her about the review that you read complaining about the scenes with Jena and Cezar...

message 26: by Alethea (new)

Kevin (Roxy's hubby) says he thinks Jena is a great example of the human struggle (whatever that means :)

message 27: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments Alethea wrote: "Kevin (Roxy's hubby) says he thinks Jena is a great example of the human struggle (whatever that means :)"

I think I get what he means. She deals with very real problems of watching over her family, staying strong, trying to always be the support but finding it hard when she needs support herself and when she needs to follow her heart instead of her head all the time.

message 28: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Suzy wrote: "...when she needs to follow her heart instead of her head all the time"

I've always had trouble with this idea. I mean, if you're following your head well, it tells you when you can follow your heart.

Trust has to be earned. It's not (usually) something that can be assumed.

message 29: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments Clix wrote: "Suzy wrote: "...when she needs to follow her heart instead of her head all the time"

I've always had trouble with this idea. I mean, if you're following your head well, it tells you when you can f..."

True, trust should be earned but I think with Jena, it was more of her not allowing herself to trust and fighting it until she was able to realize that it's ok for her to want something for herself.

message 30: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Suzy wrote: "Alethea wrote: "Roxy was annoyed by Tatiana's wasting away phase..."

I totally agree with Roxy. "

Not so much. WHAT did I read recently... I think it was a short story in a Jane Yolen collection... YA fantasy shorts... and it talked about how people who dined on fairy food would starve once they got back to the normal world because normal food seemed like cardboard in comparison. So they lost their will to eat... Neat story.

Anyway. I can see that, though - having experienced something as all-encompassing as True Love, life without it is flat and stale. I always wondered why people were surprised that Monk still wore his wedding ring six years after his wife's death.

message 31: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Suzy wrote: "...with Jena, it was more of her not allowing herself to trust and fighting it..."

*grin* See, I was totally with her on this, though, cuz I did the same thing with my Hunk. Of course, running from someone in horror is rather a bit more of an offense than telling him that he's too wonderful to be believed and "there's got to be a snake in the cookie jar."

Maybe that was why I got more patience extended to me in my uncertainty than she did. ;)

message 32: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments true i can understand how that plays out

message 33: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 46 comments I really enjoyed this book. I hope you all have a great discussion. I have to get going now. Bye!

message 34: by Jane (new)

Suzy wrote: "I'm not too sure why she had to have so many sisters. I kept having to go back to figure out which when each of the sisters were. Might just be me but it was a little annoying."

I think she wrote in all the sisters so that there can be sequels.

message 35: by Jane (new)

Oh, yeah...

Meeting's over, but some of us are still logging on to blog during the original time.

message 36: by Jane (new)

Clix wrote: "people who dined on fairy food would starve once they got back to the normal world because normal food seemed like cardboard in comparison. So they lost their will to eat..."

I think that's a general or "normal" faery rule. I've seen it used in many stories: Pans Labyrinth and Spiderwick use it.

message 37: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments *nod* The story I'm remembering used the phrase 'turn to ash in your mouth.' Good stuff. Probably one of the Xanadus...

message 38: by Alethea (new)

Here's the link to The Twelve Dancing Princesses... make sure you click through to the end!

And to answer something Roxy asked earlier, no, there is no moral.

message 39: by Alethea (last edited Jan 11, 2009 07:36PM) (new)

Ok, so first of all I was really surprised I liked this as much as I did, because a) I had expected some sort of vampire-centric drivel, which it isn't, and b) I had expected totally annoying typical "faerie" YA tale, as in everything is set in this world, we just talk about Faerie without actually going there, everybody is pretty and glowy and issues are made to seem much more dire than they really are (thank you Wicked Lovely).

I really liked the main character, the handling of the traditional tales (Romanian + Grimm + Frog Prince), the Dracula cameo (thank goodness only a small one), and the resolution which does not come so very easily to Jena. Marillier really makes her work for her happy ending! Lots of walking, thinking, worrying about everyday stuff, and always putting her own needs and wants last--hm. That reminds me of some other heroine.

message 40: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments I always loved the Twelve Dancing Princesses! *laugh* What made you like Jena?

message 41: by Alethea (new)

I liked her pragmatic nature and how she gets down to business! She doesn't spend a whole lot of time feeling sorry for herself.

message 42: by Jane (new)

I was totally expecting it to be like Wicked Lovely and was so glad that it wasn't. Sure, there are some similarities, but Marillier handles the scenes really well. I especially liked how she didn't go to far with the whole vampire lore -- and not calling them vampires adds a little charm to the whole idea.

However, I wish that we could have learned a little more about the faery world and not just linger around it.

message 43: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments VERY true, Alethea! I tend to be a practical person - or I try to be - so I admire that too.

Jane, do you KNOW there's going to be a sequel, or were you just guessing? maybe we'll get to revisit the faery world again! :D

message 44: by Jane (new)

Alethea wrote: "Jane, note her about the review that you read complaining about the scenes with Jena and Cezar..."

I read a review somewhere where the reader complained about the scenes between Jena and Cezar -- who knows? The review is probably from goodreads. Basically, she complained that the bantering was "filler" to flush out more pages for the book, that it was redundant, and unnecessary. I also get the feeling that the reader thinks that the purpose of the scenes are to set up a romance between the two characters... though, at this point of reading the review (I should have never read it in the first place!) I suspect the reader didn't actually finish the book.

message 45: by Jane (last edited Jan 11, 2009 07:53PM) (new)

Yes, I did know there was a sequel. I didn't pick up the book until a month ago and it was right next to Cybele's Secret. I know, I cheated.

It's funny because before I read the summary for the sequel, I guessed that it would be about Paula. Paula's in the same sort of situation as Jena (older by 1 year beautiful sister, while she's the more sensible, plain, and clever one).

I have a feeling if there's a third, it'll be about Stela being overshadowed by her 4 elder sisters.

message 46: by Jane (new)

Cezar made me so mad when he took away the money boxes.

message 47: by Jane (new)

Did anyone read Cybele's Secret yet?

message 48: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 35 comments Jane wrote: "complaining about the scenes with Jena and Cezar..."

Redundant? I don't see that. How so?!

So ... oooo, pirates!

message 49: by Jane (new)

I really like Jena as well. I think characters like her are just more fun to read about. Imagine reading the story from Tati's POV... Disaster!

message 50: by Jane (new)

I don't think it's redundant. I think it sets it up nicely for us to be surprised at who Jena actually ended up with. I really thought there was going to be something with Cezar, or with what's his name Night person.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wildwood Dancing (other topics)
Under the Blood-Red Sun (other topics)
Wicked Lovely (other topics)
Cybele's Secret (other topics)
Pride and Prejudice (other topics)
More...