Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Barbershop quartets: Yay or Nay?

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments NAY. Disgusting!

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17267 comments Mod
I'd like to go ahead and pre-mock anyone who posts YAY in this thread.

message 3: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 3814 comments NAY neigh

message 4: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Sally wrote: "I'd like to go ahead and pre-mock anyone who posts YAY in this thread."

*accepts pre-mocking* I have a nostalgic fondness for barbershop quartets because one of my dad's friends was in one when I was young and because my brother played one of the barbershop quartet guys in The Music Man when he was in high school.

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb | 11266 comments Mod
Holy-fuck ... nay. Big nay.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments I love harmonies. So sue me.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I like "harmonies" myself, but I don't want to hear them from a barbershop quartet. Might I interest you in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments Noooo!

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ok, actually, I have to rescind my NAY and join Jammies because she reminded me that I think the dueling quartet scene in Grease 2 in Hawt.

message 10: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 5882 comments They rank right down there with hip hop and disco for me.

message 11: by Jammies (new)

Jammies *sits on the yay sofa with Phil and Sallers*

message 12: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments On The Simpsons: yay. In real life: nay.

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments I don't mind a barbershop quartet. I heard a great one at a guy's funeral not too long ago. It was sweet. What I Really love, though is an all-male a cappella group. My daughter's friend is in ISU's Shy of a Dozen. Fab group. They do a mean "Jesse's Girl." (Rick Springfield.)

message 14: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Cyn, are you a fan of Rockapella? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockapella

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments I don't know them but I'm sure they are terrific, Jammies.

message 16: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Cynthia wrote: "What I Really love, though is an all-male a cappella group. "

I hate these with a fiery passion.

message 17: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 5882 comments I'm also not that keen on doo-wop music.

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "What I Really love, though is an all-male a cappella group. "

I hate these with a fiery passion."

That's just crazy talk, LG. Do you like Rockabilly? The Stray Cats? Klezmer music? We have a good local band called the Java Jews. They are fab.

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary I love a ccapella groups but do not like barbershop quartets. Too hokey for me.

message 20: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Mary I bet you have never experienced a barbershop quartet at a funeral. They were freaking adorable.

message 21: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Cynthia wrote: "Do you like Rockabilly? The Stray Cats? Klezmer music?"

No, no, and probably not.

message 22: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Cynthia wrote: "Mary I bet you have never experienced a barbershop quartet at a funeral. They were freaking adorable."

A funeral??

::shudders::

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments The funeral was for a guy who used to sing with the quartet. So they sang him a goodbye.

message 24: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Oh, okay. That makes more sense.

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1655 comments I'll say Yay! They performed several times every summer behind my grandma's apartment building and her...nephew (my mom's cousin) was in it. So cute. Family and everyone singing along. What's not to like?
And I love a capella groups.

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Carol you are a woman with fine tastes in music. The more variety the better, I say. Except Misogynist Rap Music. Nay to that.

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1655 comments I like big butts and I cannot lie

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments HA! Big man butts or big woman butts?

message 29: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Carol wrote: "I like big butts and I cannot lie"

Sing it, Carol.

message 30: by Jammies (new)

Jammies

message 31: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Oh sister Jammies! LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!

message 32: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) Go ahead and mock. No apologies here. My father sings in a barbershop quartet.

message 33: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Hooray for Janice's Papa.

Daddy sang bass, mama sang tenor,
me and little brother...

message 34: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments Cynthia wrote: "Hooray for Janice's Papa.

Daddy sang bass, mama sang tenor,
me and little brother..."

Mocked them mercilessly?

message 35: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I am not cool with people randomly walking down the street singing at the top of their lungs. I used to live in a neighborhood where a woman did this, all the time, wherever she went, and it was so unbelievably annoying.

message 36: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Once in a while I have to sing that song, "On the Street Where You Live" from the musical. Is it from My Fair Lady?? Blanking out.

message 37: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments Yes, "My Fair Lady."

message 38: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments Thank you. Will you please be my online memory loss assistant, Phil? You are so very kind.

message 39: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments Sure, I could do that. Or, you could ask Sally. When she doesn't know an answer she LOVES to do the google.

message 40: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments OK that works. I'll have a crack team of assistants that way. Isn't Sally most fond of the Urban Dictionary? Or is it Wikipedia?

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh googles. I hate wikipedia. Love UD.

message 42: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I once had "On the Street Where You Live" running through my head for 2 months solid. I like the song, but enough is enough.

message 43: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 6779 comments True, LG. And the Freddy character is so annoying...

message 44: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 3814 comments Why is it called "barbershop" quartet?

message 45: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11390 comments evie wrote: "Why is it called "barbershop" quartet?"

Wikipedia has a lot of information about the quartets but does not delve into the etymology of the name.

This other site (from "The A Capella Foundation") doesn't list sources for its information, though it does cover what it claims to be the roots of these groups.

message 46: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 3814 comments Phil wrote: "evie wrote: "Why is it called "barbershop" quartet?"

Wikipedia has a lot of information about the quartets but does not delve into the etymology of the name.

This other site (from "The A Capella..."

Thank you Phil.

unread topics | mark unread