Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) Flowers in the Attic discussion

Sex scenes - Too inapropriate? *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by *~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* (last edited Mar 24, 2012 06:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

*~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* I'm 12 and read this book, and [Book:Garden of Shadows] Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5) by V.C. Andrews and they sex scenes were very intense.
I learned things in this book and the others, that I didn't know about before and had to have talks with my mom.
I'm asking you to tell me what you think about the sex scenes in these books. I know they were vague, but still.
Also, what do you think the most appropriate age to read this book is?

Thank you,
~Andrea~

Joana I've read flowers in te attic and petals on the wind,I think you should be at least over fourteen to read the series, but that's my opinion.

Kirby I was probably around your age when I first started reading vc andrews, and I do remember my eyes popping open at the sex scenes. I'm pretty sure I wasn't negatively affected by an of it, but it's possible that I should have been a year or two older before reading them...

however- since these books initiated discussions between you and your mom about stuff that you guys probably needed to talk about anyway, I don't see anything wrong with you reading these books.

Joana Yeah, you're right. I think it also depends on how mature you are.

message 5: by Elayne (last edited Mar 10, 2012 03:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elayne I agree Joana, some people are more mature than others at an early age. I do however think twelve is a little young to be understanding the sex scenes, for most, and rightly so in my opinion.

*~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* I did undetstand them, it was just akward

Monica I read flowers in the attic but not the rest of the series. But i thought flowers in the attack had very mature themes and wonder was it meant for young adults when i read it as a teenager. But still enjoyed. My mouth was wide open until i closed the book. And for awhile i thought the author was mentally off but as i got older realize that stuff she wrote about happens everyday and we just dont know about it.

Licha As a mom now, I do cringe at the thought of my daughter reading this. However, I don't want to be a hypocrate about it because I did read these books when I was about 15. Too young to read them, but nothing was going to stop me from reading these books. I think you just have to read them with the thought in mind that it is fiction. It's great that you were able to admit to yourself that this book may have been a little too mature for you but you did the right thing by discussing the book with your mom. As a mom, I can tell you that would earn trust from me knowing that my daughter could come to me when she needed advice and that my daughter would be a good judge of what's right or wrong for her for or would seek help when in doubt.

Kathryn I didn't read these books until I was about 17 or 18. Now I'm in my late 20's, and I don't know if I would let my 12 year old read them because of the issues and the sexual nature in them. Like someone else said before, I think it just depends on how mature the reader is. Personally, if you're wanting to read the whole series, I'd probably wait until I was about fourteen or fifteen. That's at least what I would do with my daughter if she wanted to read them.

Renee Thomas I read these books in middle school. Not sure exactly how old I was, but they were good books. Although, a bit awkward to read, they didn't bother me. I enjoyed them and just re-read the first book a few weeks ago. I think you should read the series. You will enjoy them.

*~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* Renee wrote: "I read these books in middle school. Not sure exactly how old I was, but they were good books. Although, a bit awkward to read, they didn't bother me. I enjoyed them and just re-read the first book..."

I've read the first two

message 12: by *~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* (last edited Mar 24, 2012 06:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

*~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* Licha wrote: "As a mom now, I do cringe at the thought of my daughter reading this. However, I don't want to be a hypocrate about it because I did read these books when I was about 15. Too young to read them,..."

Thank you Ms. Licha

Crystal Bowen I feel that it depends on the maturity of the person reading them. I was nine the first time I read these books & I read the whole series. My mother had them in her collection.Sex had already been explained to me & it was just a story so my mother didn't think there was anything wrong with me reading them. If I had a child & I felt they were mature enough to read these books I would let them. I would much rather they come to me with questions at a young age than find out about these things from other children at school.

Shanna It's not a YA book, it doesn't pretend to be. If you like VC Andrews there are some YA series but not this.

Crystal Bowen Shanna wrote: "It's not a YA book, it doesn't pretend to be. If you like VC Andrews there are some YA series but not this."

I don't read young adult anymore. I'm 30. lol

message 16: by Shanna (last edited May 01, 2012 05:33AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Shanna Hi Crystal
I'm 37, I do, read it still, some of it is amazing, some is dreadful, but I'm pretty eclectic in my reading. Currently reading the hunger games series, next up is the Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne series after that I'm thinking maybe The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood or Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, #1) by Margaret Atwood

I was directing this really at Mary Alice Brandon Whitlock Cullen the 12 yr old original poster, VC Andrews is definitely not the the author I'd want my 12 yr old learning about sex from, her view in the writing is decidedly skewed towards unhealthy.

Crystal Bowen Yes that's why I put the comment in there about people's children talking to them about what they read in a V.C. Andrews novel. My mother was very open with me & I think it's a shame that more mothers are not. By twelve I think that parents should have already discussed sex with their children because that is the national average age in the U.S. when a person loses their virginity.

message 18: by Shanna (last edited May 01, 2012 06:02AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Shanna That's scary 12 is the average. It 16.8 here in Australia.
My Mum was open too I think that gave me the confidence to wait until I was ready and refuse pressure. The problem with these books is there are plenty of relationship issues like the incest, abusive spouses, child abuse, protracted and planned revenges that are all too inappropriate for immature readers (for those out there I don't mean immature in an insulting way I just mean a combination of youth and inexperience, neither of which are bad just facts, so don't start jumping in on me)

Crystal Bowen Shanna wrote: "That's scary 12 is the average. It 16.8 here in Australia.
My Mum was open too I think that gave me the confidence to wait until I was ready and refuse pressure. The problem with these books is th..."

Yeah I can understand that. I think it may have made a difference as well that my mother was molested as a child. So, as I was growing up she made sure I was aware of the possibilities that it could happen to me.I was very well schooled (even at the age of nine) in the failings, shortcomings & ugly truths of humanity. I'm sure I am an exception to the rule.

Cadence I read the first one at around 13. I was a very sheltered and innocent 13 but the book didn't affect me adversely. I do find it amusing though how America is so uptight about its children seeing/reading sex scenes, but violence (in video games and movies) is rarely remarked upon. I'm American btw. I've heard in the UK it's the other way around - that they are more concerned about exposure of the youth to violence rather than sex.

I wonder if the original poster is a Hunger Games fan? I've not read it but hear it is very violent, but a huge success in the YA market, yet I don't hear anyone saying that teens shouldn't read it or see the movie.

Carrie I think for the age the books are targeted for(tween/teen), the incest is ABSOLUTELY inappropriate. Even Daughter of Darkness, as well as The Flowers in the Attic series, and others are bad--VC Andrews seems to have something with the incest theme. Also sex as a young teen, not even 15! I think it is gross, and not for YA or teens, less alone the tweens who are reading them!

Licha It's funny these books are considered teen read, when the reality is that this is adult fiction. But majority of people I know were introduced to VC Andrews as teenagers and I know I checked mine out from the high school library. I wonder if I read them now as an adult would I consider them somewhat juvenile?

Cadence That is because way back when before we had this "child-centered" society, and children were not wrapped in cotton, there was *no* YA category. Back in the early 80s when I was young the bookstore just had books like that in the fiction or romance section, so teens and adults alike were all getting books in the same place. You would never see VC Andrews books in high school libraries today for fear of litigation.

It's silly really. I read those books at 13 and onward and I managed to grow up just fine (imagine that!)

BTW, I had to look up Daughter Of Darkness because I'd never heard of it. That is NOT VC Andrews. Anything beyond the first couple of books in the Heaven series was not written by Ms. Andrews but rather a ghost writer. So now they're trying to cash in on the vampire hype and slap her name on it. Sorry, that isn't her.

As for incest being an inappropriate topic for teens, that is a matter of opinion. She did not just write an incest story. Anyone who has read Flowers and who has a basic understanding of human psychology knows there is a reason for those themes in that story.

And anyone familiar with her work knows the major themes in her stories are child abuse, child abandonment, child neglect and incest. These are carried through the subsequent novels written by Andrew Neiderman, the ghost writer, but not with nearly as much complexity. The novels he wrote on his own without manuscripts left behind by VCA to guide him are extremely simplistic and formulaic and quite obviously *not* works by VCA.

Anyone who does not enjoy these themes stopped reading VCA after the first book and doesn't bother complaining about what is appropriate or not for others to read.

Those books aren't any worse than anything else in print or on TV geared for the YA set today.

Becky I think these books were awesome and I applaud this author for writing about taboo topics that NEED to be addressed.

Sabrina it honestly was quite traumitising reading this book and that particular chapter but if you think about it 12 isnt too young because there are movies out there that are rated a 12 and they probably have worse stuff? i dont know whether its worse in a book though

message 26: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy Dang, I was reading R.L. Stine when I was 12. From there I graduated to Christopher Pike and then V.C. Andrews. My first thought was 16 would be a good age to read V.C. Andrews. Not just b/c of the sex, but b/c of the subject matter, it's very dark and disturbing.

Tea~lynn i was 12 when i first started reading them and 14 when i finished all of them and i wish i would of waited tell now because i found it rather ackward even though i did not fully understand what was going on. i did skip pages when reading though every time it came up. so 14 or 15 would be about the age i hand these books down to my children if i ever have children of my own.

Tea~lynn Sabrina wrote: "it honestly was quite traumitising reading this book and that particular chapter but if you think about it 12 isnt too young because there are movies out there that are rated a 12 and they probably..." the movie shows nothing and really dosnt fallow the book at all. the content of the book is darker and way more disturbing.

Kristin Flowers in the Attic is one of my all time favorite books. I have also read the rest of the books that go along with it and I loved them all! I actually read the Dollanganger series last year. I was not expecting the sex scene at all until they were up in the attic and coming on to each other. I honestly thought that scene was interesting because it gave the whole book a twist to it!

Patricialogan8 Evanna Cat Morris wrote: "I'm 12 and read this book, and [Book:Garden of Shadows] Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5) by V.C. Andrews and they sex scenes were very intense.
I learned things in this book and the others, that I didn't know..."

I was more concerned with the incest issues since Corrine and Christopher were brother and sister and the incest continued with Christopher and Cathy

message 31: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena Hillbrand Corrine and Christopher were not brother and sister, were they? I thought they were related distantly or by marriage. Like half cousins or something.
The incest did not bother me nearly as much as the abuse from the adults to the children. I could see the incestuous stuff as somewhat natural, given the circumstances. The mother was a complete monster, though--no excuse for her.

Angela In the last book it was revealed they were brother and sister Lena

Patricialogan8 Lena wrote: "Corrine and Christopher were not brother and sister, were they? I thought they were related distantly or by marriage. Like half cousins or something.
The incest did not bother me nearly as much as ..."

In Garden of Shadows, Malcolm raped Alicia and she got pregnant with Corrine, Olivia and Malcolm raised her as theirs, they grew up and met later when Corrine was a teenager, in the process they spoiled her

Patricialogan8 Garden of Shadows was a prequel to the series, and my fave

Patricialogan8 Cadence wrote: "That is because way back when before we had this "child-centered" society, and children were not wrapped in cotton, there was *no* YA category. Back in the early 80s when I was young the bookstore ..."

V.C Andrews died in 1987, they hired Andrew Neiderman to finish her work, she had about 87 manuscripts for him to work with, he does horror writing

Penny Evanna Cat Morris wrote: "I'm 12 and read this book, and [Book:Garden of Shadows] Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5) by V.C. Andrews and they sex scenes were very intense.
I learned things in this book and the others, that I didn't know..."

I think 12 is maybe a little young.

Hannah (Vamp of Savannah) Crystal wrote: "Yes that's why I put the comment in there about people's children talking to them about what they read in a V.C. Andrews novel. My mother was very open with me & I think it's a shame that more moth..."

No offense, but have you lost your mind?
12 is not the average to lose one's virginity in America! It's 17 for young men and 17.3 for young women. Don't make us look any worse than we already are! Next time do your research before you make assumptions/freak people out.
*source- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolesce...

Bunnie St Just Crystal wrote: "Yes that's why I put the comment in there about people's children talking to them about what they read in a V.C. Andrews novel. My mother was very open with me & I think it's a shame that more moth..."

You mean 12???!

Shiloh I started reading VC Andrews in High School. I think some of the stuff that happens in this book is not really great for young readers. I am not one to say what you should and shouldn't read, watch, eat, whatever... but i think her writing style is good for maybe 14 yrs and up. :)

Areana Felix i think that the sex scene is ok because this story is taboo which makes more interesting. I guess girls who are 13 and below shouldn't be reading these book. But still the sex scene wasn't very detailed like Fifty Shades of Grey, it was simple; in Flowers in the Attic, i haven't read the other books.

Jessica VC.Andrews books are very graphic related sex themes. How many parents, honestly mothers would want their children reading about incest, rape...I was 13 when I read her first book. Now Im 25. Her books in a way took away my innocence as a young girl. Because without anyone telling me. I did not know I would be reading about sex in her books. If I could bring back those times bring the past back turn the clock around. I would have NEVER read her books.Mostly its very disturbing and dark

message 42: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie Cadence wrote: "That is because way back when before we had this "child-centered" society, and children were not wrapped in cotton, there was *no* YA category. Back in the early 80s when I was young the bookstore ..."

I know this review is from a year ago - but I love this review and couldn't agree more!

Preston Carter I read Flowers in the Attic, and I think the sex scenes are important for what the book covers. I would be on the side of saying that the sex scenes are very vague and we all learn about sex at some point in our lives.

I would say the book is readable by anyone who is old enough to read it; meaning that anyone who can understand the language and the plot should be able to handle the sex scenes. This sets the age bar pretty low, but I think VC Andrews covers sex in a better sense then a majority of other sources a child might learn about sex (pop music culture, popular television, etc.)

But, if a person is mature enough to understand the language, they are mature enough to read the book.

Jessica wrote: "VC.Andrews books are very graphic related sex themes. How many parents, honestly mothers would want their children reading about incest, rape...I was 13 when I read her first book. Now Im 25. Her b..."

Why didn't you just stop reading the book at the beginning of the first sex scene if you felt that they stole your innocence?

Kathryn Completely agree, Preston.

Leclinch I read this book when I was 8, understood it and loved it. It has been my favourite book ever since. I have read it a few times since then and it has been just as good. I'm 12 now.

Leclinch Carrie wrote: "I think for the age the books are targeted for(tween/teen), the incest is ABSOLUTELY inappropriate. Even Daughter of Darkness, as well as The Flowers in the Attic series, and others are bad--VC An..."

I read them when I was 8...

Shida I agree with Carrie. I think I started reading VC Andrews at around 11/12 years old and now that I'm an adult, I'm kind of horrified at the fact that this stuff was introduced to me at such a young age without my parents knowing what I was reading. My friends and I joke about it all of the time whenever these books come up in conversation, but it's actually a bit strange that these are targeted towards such a young demographic.

message 48: by Iris (last edited Nov 18, 2013 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iris I think the first book is fine for twelve year olds. But the sequels are a bit more raunchy and I think that fourteen is a more proper age for them to read. Having said that I also would not protest to the twelve year olds reading them if they really wanted to. They weren't too intense they were just kind of eye opening.

message 49: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee I would say the sex in these books are tame compared to what we see on tv and in movies.

Scott Rudolph Dee wrote: "I would say the sex in these books are tame compared to what we see on tv and in movies."

As a father, I have to agree with Dee on this, tame compared to other media. Unless your child lives under a rock and does not attend public school, does not watch TV, and does not know who Miley is, then they have probably seen, heard and already read far worse than these books have to offer. Straight up, I would have preferred my daughter to pick up these books, then...ohh lets say...Twilight? (just kidding Stephanie M. Smiles.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Flowers in the Attic (other topics)
Garden of Shadows (other topics)
Hounded (other topics)
The Handmaid's Tale (other topics)
Oryx and Crake (other topics)
More...