readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Like Nicholas Sparks or James Patterson

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments I'm looking for a light and easy romantic read in the spirit of Nicholas Sparks or James Patterson's Suzanne's Diary For Nicholas. Please don't judge, I know that these are formulaic and unsophisiticated reads but I need something uplifting to take my mind off of personal demons while I burn some calories on the tredmill. Thanks.

message 2: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1280 comments Mod
i can suggest authors who do that kind of style, but i can't personally recommend any titles, because i haven't read any, but there are several authors who do the same kind of thing as nicholas sparks; the bittersweet love and loss thing. you can look into

Richard Paul Evans
Robert Waller
Kristin Hannah
Catherine Hyde
Lynne Hinton
Anne Rivers Siddons
Mitch Albom

message 3: by RachelAnne (new)

RachelAnne | 15 comments I'd suggest
The Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss: the story of a community in eastern Oregon during 1917/18, told largely from the perspective of a 19-year old horse-whisperer hired to tame horses once men begin leaving for WWI. It's a light, fast read, beautifully evocative of the landscape, and the vignettes of life for those Martha encounters are by turns bittersweet, humorous, amusing and haunting.

message 4: by RachelAnne (new)

RachelAnne | 15 comments Do you ever read YA fiction, and if so, is that an option? I find it can be a particularly gym-friendly choice, since the stories are often shorter and easier to follow, not to mention easier to prop up on those skinny little treadmill book-holders.

Also, never feel the need to apologize for what you read. We all read different books for different purposes. Like what you like. Sometimes, for me, a nice, fat, challenging tome is just the ticket. At other times, I just want something comfy, warm and absorbing. No judgement.

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments For light and romantic, I'd suggest Jennifer Crusie. I particularly liked Bet Me and Fast Women. You might also try to find Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney. It might be out of print, but it also might be available at the library or in a used bookshop.

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire (claireadactyl) | 26 comments So what I'm getting is you want chick lit, but not the fluffy sexy chick lit, but something with maybe just a bit of a serious issue in it? If that's the case, I suggest The Friday Night Knitting Club and/or The Last Summer.

If you just want fluff, pure and simple, I sugggest The Devil You Know, Queen of Babble (3 books in the series), and the Chandler Brothers series by Carly Phillips.

I need a little fluff every now and then. No judgment.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bet Me (other topics)
Wild at Heart (other topics)
Fast Women (other topics)
The Devil You Know (other topics)
The Last Summer (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mitch Albom (other topics)
Richard Paul Evans (other topics)
Catherine Hyde (other topics)