Writers Worth discussion

Hello all!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 309) (309 new)    post a comment »

Violeta Nedkova (V4Violetta) | 465 comments Mod
Hi, my name is Lyn Midnight. I live in London, UK. I write... a lot! Mainly fantasy, scifi, and poetry, among other less exciting (a.k.a. freelance) stuff.

I have a cat named Sissy, I look after kids, and I'm working on the next Dystopian blockbuster! Also, I am a Social Media addict, so you've probably seen me around.

Now's your turn! I promise I won't bite. :D

Jennifer Shirk (jennifershirk) | 7 comments Hi, Lyn!

I must be a social media addict too because I SHOULD be writing right now! LOL
I write quirky sweet romances but I might like to branch to YA or something else in the future.

Good luck on that Dystopian blockbuster! :)

Jenny Perinovic (jennyperinovic) Hi! I'm Jenny. I live in Washington, DC and I write mostly YA fantasy and paranormal. :)

I'm also a social media addict, hah! I work in a library and I'm in the middle of re-writing my first "serious" novel. I'm also getting married on June 15 - I'm not sure why I thought it'd be a great idea to plan a wedding and write a book AT THE SAME TIME.

I look forward to *meeting* all of you! You can find me on twitter as @JennyAdams :)

message 4: by Michael (last edited Mar 09, 2012 08:02AM) (new)

Michael Jr. (mlmjr) | 1 comments Your enthusiasm is infectious, Lyn!

Hi Jennifer. I should be writing right now too. lol

I'm not necessarily a social media addict though. I practice all forms of procrastination. :)

Thomas Amo (ThomasAmo) Thanks Lyn for the invite! Happy to be here.
Hi everyone I'm Tom, Live in central California, I used to be a full time theatrical producer and wrote comedy for the stage. I also write horror and have my first YA novel coming out this Spring.

Please feel free to friend me.
Cheers Tom

Jennifer Shirk (jennifershirk) | 7 comments Michael wrote:

I'm not necessarily a social media addict though. I practice all forms of procrastination. :)"

Ha! Well, it's nice you don't discriminate. LOL!

Hi, to Thomas and Jenny too!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, Jenny!

message 7: by Violeta (last edited Mar 09, 2012 08:24AM) (new)

Hello everyone! :) Thanks for joining in on the fun.

@Jen Thanks! The book looks like an interesting read. Gotta love giveaways, no? (Just realized I basically answered something you said in another topic here. Can you tell I'm getting a bit brain-fried? lol)

@Jenny Hey girl! You're getting married AND writing a book?! Should we expect a lot of bridal references in the book, then? Or will you show up to the altar in a bookcase... lol, I just pictured that!

@Michael There's the writer of the day at WW! Thanks for stopping by. :) Aren't we all slaves to procrastination. Imagine a world where there is no such thing! Dystopian anyone?

@Tom This spring? Congratulations!!! You must tell us all about it in the topic I started called 'tell us about your book'. We'll be there to cheer you on!

Kimberly Gould (Kimmydonn) | 7 comments Hi, I'm Kim. I don't often join Good Reads group because I find I have so much time spent on Social Media already, but this sounded like something where if I fall off the planet for a week I'm not going to be intimidated to jump back in. I'm increasing my quota of reading now that I have my first ereader (YAY Kobo!) and can buy more of the interesting books my fellow indie/micro-pub authors have out there. Of course, that bites into the writing time. *sigh*

Writing: I write anything and everything. I tend toward the genres I read, which is SciFi/Fantasy and YA, but I'm working on a horror serial, I have erotica pieces on the side, etc. etc.

I'm a mother of one precocious 5 year old and work part time as an environmental consultant. My muse is most active on the long (5 hour) boring (nothing but trees) drive to our experimental sites in Northern Alberta. Daydream=plotting and inevitably the notebook comes out when I'm not driving so I can scribble away!

Great to meet you all: Michael, Thomas, Jennifer and Jenny, and of course Lyn. :D

Jenny Perinovic (jennyperinovic) @Jennifer: Thank you!! :)

@Lyn: Hah, hopefully not. Though there will be lots of books at the wedding!

Everyone else: Yay, great to meet you!

Sandy Hunter (FuroreScribindi) | 10 comments Hi everyone, I've just newly joined you. I'm Sandy from Parksville, Vancouver Island. My Y.A. Fantasy, Elanraigh: The Vow was just released from Eternal Press in Feb...it's my first novel length pub...I've previously published some dark fantasy short stories. Like many of you have mentioned, I'm finding the social networking/marketing really challenging and where do we find time to write anymore? This looks like a great group, however, sharing lots of similar interests and tastes. Glad to be here!

Brendan Carroll (BrendanCarroll) | 2 comments Hey, everybody! Thank you for the invite and yes, I'm Brendan Carroll and I'm a Socimedaholic. I love reading and I love writing. I'm retired and living in East Texas, where I was born and raised. I love to travel, meet new people, see the sights and spend lots of money. I currently have 27 Epic Fantasy books, 1 adventure/sci-fi and 1 horror novel published on Amazon. I'm working on book 28 in my Fantasy series and looking (always) for new inspiration. I hope to write another horror book as soon as the muse allows. I have high hopes for this group and wish all of you the best! Thank you again!

Mindy McGinnis Hi everyone! I'm Mindy McGinnis, a YA librarian and author from Ohio. My dystopian debut, NOT A DROP TO DRINK will be coming from Katherine Tegen / Harper Collins Fall, 2013. I'm really excited to join the group as networking with other writers is one of the things I like to do best. I blog at www.writerwriterpantsonfire.blogspot.com and tweet at @bigblackcat97

Actually today is my 1 year blogiversary and I have my first vlog up as a celebration so if you'd like to hop on over I'd be flattered!

Frank Mundo | 5 comments Hello, All,
I'm a book reviewer for LA Books Examiner, the New York Journal of Books and The Journal of Cultural Conversation.

I also write in today's least favorite genres: literary short stories and poetry. I'm looking forward to the group.

Here's my author page if you want to learn more about my work: http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Mundo/e/B...

L.J. Kentowski (LJKentowski) | 23 comments Hey everyone! Nice to meet everyone and see some friendly faces! Thanks for the invite, Lyn!

I'm L.J. I live in the cold parts of the Midwest with occasional months of warm weather :) I'm the proud mom of one crazy 5yr old, who keeps me on my toes every second that I'm not at my day job. When he goes to sleep, I sneak into my computer and write urban fantasy and paranormal romance.

I've joined quite a few GR groups, but find myself not being able to keep up most of the time. Between the day job, family, and writing, I seem to run out of time every single day. Sounds familiar to you all right?

I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you!!

Joyce Strand | 18 comments Hi, everyone! Thanks for inviting me. I write mysteries solved by PR Exec Jillian Hillcrest. I've published the first one -- ON MESSAGE -- and plan to publish the second in a few months. Author's page is: http://joycestrand.com

Raelyn  Barclay Thanks for the invite Lyn.

Hello everyone,

I'm Raelyn Barclay from Las Vegas Nevada, I'm a SAHM of four and in my spare time I'm working toward publishing. I've only been on the road for a year now but I'm loving the journey. I write romance and refuse to be trapped in any one category, which makes it rather hard to 'brand' myself, LOL

I look forward to getting to know you all!

message 17: by Kevin (last edited Mar 09, 2012 11:57AM) (new)

Kevin (kevinpsb) | 2 comments Thanks Lyn for inviting me to your group. Best to you and all our fellow authors.

I am both a writer and artist. I have written two novels. CLOCKWORK GENIE, a contemporary fantasy/mystery and REVENGE OF THE MASKED GHOST a mystery in the style of the 1930s pulp heroes.

I painted the cover art for both novels.

Casey Cassidy (werewolfluvr119) | 2 comments Hello, all. I'm a writer and a blogger. I'm from Massachusetts. And I, too, am a social media addict and am able to procrastinate in all forms, sometimes multiple times ways at once! I'm still in high school, homeschooled, I'm a junior.
I write mostly YA. Subgenres would be: urban fantasy, paranormal romance, and sometimes a pinch of horror.

Kimberly wrote: "Hi, I'm Kim. I don't often join Good Reads group because I find I have so much time spent on Social Media already, but this sounded like something where if I fall off the planet for a week I'm not ..."

Haha, what a wonderful way to describe it. You rock, Kim!

@Sandy Tell me about it, right now I'm postponing something I was suspposed to write a few hours ago! I'll have to say goodbye to sleep soon...

@Brendan Nice to meet you! I see you've published a lot of books, what is your secret? :) It would be lovely if you considered a feature on the WW site!

@Mindy You had me at dystopian, lol.

@Frank Hello! We need book reviewers at the site :)

@L.J. Yeap, very familiar. And what's with everybody having five year olds... is it a new trend or something? Because if it is, how could so many women get pregnant at the same time. Aliens anyone?

And thanks for joining, Joyce, Raelyn, Kevin, and Casey!

L.J. Kentowski (LJKentowski) | 23 comments @L.J. Yeap, very familiar. And what's with everybody having five year olds... is it a new trend or something? Because if it is, how could so many women get pregnant at the same time. Aliens anyone?

You know, I think I tasted something in the water that year, now that you mention it :/

Claire Caterer Jenny wrote: "...I'm also getting married on June 15 - I'm not sure why I thought it'd be a great idea to plan a wedding and write a book AT THE SAME TIME..."

I couldn't manage that, Jenny! You have some serious organizational mojo.

Claire Caterer Michael wrote: "Your enthusiasm is infectious, Lyn!

Hi Jennifer. I should be writing right now too. lol

I'm not necessarily a social media addict though. I practice all forms of procrastination. :)"

I too am an equal-opportunity procrastinator.

Claire Caterer Mindy wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm Mindy McGinnis, a YA librarian and author from Ohio. My dystopian debut, NOT A DROP TO DRINK will be coming from Katherine Tegen / Harper Collins Fall, 2013. I'm really excited to ..."

Hey, Mindy! Congrats on your debut. Have you been to the Lucky 13s blog (for writers who are debuting YA/children's books in 2013)?

message 24: by Claire (last edited Mar 09, 2012 01:30PM) (new)

Claire Caterer Hi, Lyn and everyone!

Thanks so much for the invite to Writers Worth! I'm a freelance writer/editor living in the Kansas City metro area. I've published several articles and a few short stories, but my biggest thrill is my novel, a middle-grade fantasy coming in spring 2013 from Margaret K. McElderry / Simon & Schuster. It's called The Key & the Flame, the first in a 5-part series.

Occasionally I blog, too--trying to get better organized about that! You can find me at CMCaterer.com. Also, on Twitter, at @ClaireCaterer.

Sandy Hunter (FuroreScribindi) | 10 comments @ L.J....hmmm...could be my son-in-law is an alien...but the grandkids are adorable
@Brenden...do you find todays market a little more difficult for epic fantasy? When I was soliciting agents, I was told that the "in" thing now is paranormal or urban...forget writing epic...yet it's what I love to write.

I love the variety in our group already :)

message 26: by Violeta (last edited Mar 09, 2012 01:50PM) (new)

Hi Claire! It's very nice to meet you. :) I didn't know about the Lucky 13's and I'm so excited to learn about them! I'd give anything to be one of them... I was born on Jan. 13, and I believe the color to be very lucky indeed! Oh and feel free to come over the WW site, I'm always looking for editors to pop over and offer our writers their awesome services. ;)

Hi MJ! Good luck with self-publishing! I've always thought it's very brave... simply because you've to do the whole work yourself. On some days, I think that's something I'd like to do one day. Maybe next year! Then again, I say this every year... *sigh*

message 27: by A.F. (last edited Mar 09, 2012 02:04PM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) Hello all, I'm A.F. Stewart. I hail from Nova Scotia, Canada and I write dark fantasy and poetry, with a little horror, sci-fi and non-fiction thrown in every now and then. My stories are not sweet or cute, nor do they tend to end happily, but people seem to like them regardless.

Sandy Hunter (FuroreScribindi) | 10 comments Hi A.F...I find I have to keep my dark fantasy away from friends/family readers...they're starting to look sideways at me :)

L.J. Kentowski (LJKentowski) | 23 comments Sandy wrote: "@ L.J....hmmm...could be my son-in-law is an alien...but the grandkids are adorable
@Brenden...do you find todays market a little more difficult for epic fantasy? When I was soliciting agents, I wa..."

Lol Sandy!

A.F. (scribe77) Sandy wrote: "Hi A.F...I find I have to keep my dark fantasy away from friends/family readers...they're starting to look sideways at me :)"

Sandy, my friends and family already know I'm a fantasy geek, so I don't have to worry. I've been getting strange looks for long time now.

Jen Danna (JenJDanna) Hi Lyn, thanks for the invite! And hello to the group!

I'm Jen and, for now, I'm a full time writer. Up to a month ago I was a research scientist who shoehorned her writing into every spare second. But the downturn in the economy hit the research lab and currently I'm footloose and fancy free and loving the opportunity to write full time. My forensic thriller is currently out on submission and I'm new to GoodReads but I'm loving the interaction so far.

Good to meet you all!

Welcome, A.F. and Jen!

@A.F. I love dark fantasy. There's nothing wrong with having unhappy endings. In fact, I prefer them. More realistic, you know?

@Jen Welcome to Goodreads! You'll love it here, I was a bit resistant before but am now convinced this is the best place online for writers/readers, a.k.a. BOOK-HUGGERS. Good luck with submissions. :)

Cassie (shadowkissedcassie) | 5 comments Hello all! I'm Cassie and my passion in life is reading. My favs are paranormal romance, YA, fantasy, Sci-Fi, and historical fiction. If you like these too please check out my site! Author guest post and interviews are always welcome! I live in a small town in NC and can turn my feet around backwards...just a random fact haha

Sandy (sandynathan) | 1 comments Hi, Lyn and all! I was drawn to this group for some reason, which is amazing due to all the other GR, FB, & Twitter groups to which I belong. Something's gotta be said for soul, or attraction. Or juju.

I'm currently (as in, at this moment) procrastinating from yet another proofing of two of my new novels. Yes, I had it done professionally, but I can't help but obsess. And find more errors.

I write fiction and nonfiction, for kids and adults. I'm currently working on books 2 and 3 of Tales from Earth's End, my visionary fiction/fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian/romantic series of novels. They do have all that in them. Makes picking a shelf difficult. Here's the series' blog: http://talesfromearthsend.com

I'd like to connect with my fellow writers and do some joint marketing, especially with those in fantasy sci-fi with a spiritual twist. We can work out how that would happen.

Now to face the punctuation demons of my drafts. Cheers, all. Here's my website: http://sandynathan.com

The Angel & the Brown-Eyed Boy by Sandy Nathan
The Angel & the Brown-Eyed Boy

Tim McGregor Thanks for the invite, Lyn. Seems like a nice bunch you've corralled here.

As for me, I write books and movies. Bad Wolf is my first book, about homicide cops tracking a werewolf. Think Se7en meets The Howling.

The film work has all been the lower end, straight-to-DVD stuff like this. A fun experience but the end product was, well...meh.

Anyhoo...look forward to finding some indie reads. If anyone's looking for something new to listen to, I recommend Wye Oak. Nice, weird sounds. Their song "Civilian" was featured on the Walking Dead about two weeks ago, when Shane was looking out the car window at the lone walker in the field.

message 36: by Michelle (last edited Mar 09, 2012 09:41PM) (new)

Michelle Cornwell-Jordan (wwwreahketgroupiecom) | 3 comments Hello, Thanks for inviting me:) My name is Michelle Cornwell-Jordan and I write YA novels, The first co-written with author Danny Jones, called Reahket and my solo debut, Night School will be released at the end of March...

I also have a review blog called Indiewritersreview
http://indiewritersreview.wordpress.com/

Anyway, I look forward to meeting lot's of new friends, reading some good books and learning some new things:)

D.J. | 18 comments Hi everyone,
I am so pleased to have been asked to join this group!
I write fiction, nonfiction and academic pieces (under duress).

This year I am lucky enough to be working as the writer in residence for Portsmouth libraries one day per week. I work as a midwifery lecturer and public health practitioner the rest of the week and write between 5am - 7am.

Novel number two will be published this year and I find myself more nervous about this than I was about my first novel being launched into the world. Anyone else struggle with this?
Denyse

Elizabeth Baxter (smallblondehippy) | 8 comments Hello everybody,

My name's Liz and I live in a little village in Derbyshire. I write and read mainly fantasy and I'm busy getting my first book (a short story collection) ready for publication. I hope to have this out in the next few weeks and three more books by the end of the year.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Karen Simpson (simpson) | 1 comments Hello Everyone

My name is Karen. I live in Ann Arbor Michigan. Thanks for the invitation. I haven't really joined or participated in many groups on Good Reads but I felt something special about this one. I write speculative fiction although I would say my second novel is more women fiction. I am the author of Act of Grace(Plenary Publishing)my website is http://karensimpsonwrites.com/ twitter is @lafreya1

Looking forward to meeting everyone:)

Claire Caterer Sandy wrote: "Do you find today's market a little more difficult for epic fantasy? ... I was told that the "in" thing now is paranormal or urban...forget writing epic..."

Sandy, my book series could be described as "epic" fantasy, I think, in that it's a story that spans several years and is so-called "high" fantasy. My agent and editor are both very enthusiastic about it. Over and over again, I hear that you should write the story that you, and only you, can tell. The market isn't all about paranormal romance or urban fantasy or whatever the trend is right now. For one thing, by the time you write, revise, market, and sell your urban fantasy novel (then wait the 12-18 months for it to hit the shelves), that trend will be long gone. Sell the agent on what you can bring to a particular genre. Wow him or her with your writing.

A bigger problem is if you're writing to a trend that's just crested--vampires, for example. Then, okay, maybe you shelve your vampire project for a couple of years and resubmit. Though I've heard agents say, "Look, if it's the best damned vampire novel out there, I'll still look at it."

Stephanie (reggiesgirl) | 5 comments I have been really digging the poetry books here lately so that intrigues me.. Cant wait to see your Dystopian thriller!! One of my fave genres riht now!

Lyn wrote: "Hi, my name is Lyn Midnight. I live in London, UK. I write... a lot! Mainly fantasy, scifi, and poetry, among other less exciting (a.k.a. freelance) stuff.

I have a cat named Sissy, I look afte..."

Stephanie (reggiesgirl) | 5 comments I for one love mysteries so I will be checking that one out!!

Joyce wrote: "Hi, everyone! Thanks for inviting me. I write mysteries solved by PR Exec Jillian Hillcrest. I've published the first one -- ON MESSAGE -- and plan to publish the second in a few months. Author's p..."

Stephanie (reggiesgirl) | 5 comments Hello everyone and WOW what a group of people!! I for one am a social media addict but get on when I can bc of my crazy work schedule lol.. I have been going through a reading phase right now and I am running with it. Reading is what gives us the ideas to write.. So I am scribbling away notes and diferent characters. Not to mention all the different story ideas I have. I have no issue brainstorming its putting everything together that scares me lol. So definitely any tips or tricks or whatever would be appreciated because I would love to write a book someday but may be leaning towards a short stoy collection.

But I am a avid reader and post most all of my reviews on GR (Love this place!) Alway open to new friends!
Twitter is @steph_a_licous
Email randomness.stephalicious@gmail.com

Claire Chilton (ClaireChilton) Hi Lyn,

Thanks for inviting me, and hi to everyone in the group :)

I'm a YA fantasy writer and from the UK too. I'm currently writing my second book in the WBOTS series. Well, when I'm not babbling online :p

Sandy Hunter (FuroreScribindi) | 10 comments Claire wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Do you find today's market a little more difficult for epic fantasy? ... I was told that the "in" thing now is paranormal or urban...forget writing epic..."

Sandy, my book series cou..."

Yes, thanks Claire. I'll look for the right readers and hope my book pleases them to read as much as it did me to write :) I've approached some reviewers and perhaps that will get the ball rolling. Always a pleasure to meet other writers, and especially those who share your love of genre.

Sandy Hunter (FuroreScribindi) | 10 comments Stephanie wrote: "Hello everyone and WOW what a group of people!! I for one am a social media addict but get on when I can bc of my crazy work schedule lol.. I have been going through a reading phase right now and I..."
Hi Stephanie! Every writer should, and probably is, also a great reader. You know, I believe short stories are a great way to start...you still have to master the skills of story arc, character development, etc...with a great deal of precision. Have fun with it!

Gabriella | 1 comments Hi Lyn and group!

I'm Gabriella West, I live in San Francisco, and I write literary fiction and erotic romances. My novel THE LEAVING is out on Amazon Kindle and Smashwords, and I have a print novel (a lesbian historical romance!) called "Time of Grace" that was published way back in 2002 and is still available in the U.S. and UK.

My day job is proofing at a newspaper but I'm transitioning slowly to editing indie authors (see http://editforindies.com if interested).

This is my first group on Goodreads and I'm happy to be here. My Twitter handle is @gabriellawest

Cindy Carroll (writesbooks) | 4 comments Hi everyone.

Lyn, thanks for inviting me.

I'm Cindy. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada (about an hour west of Toronto). I write short stories (horror, sci-fi, erotica), novels (suspense/thrillers in the paranormal, urban fantasy and mainstream genres), and scripts (horror, action, romantic comedy).

I'm also a social media addict. Well, a Twitter addict. Facebook is not in my good books lately.

I have a day job that takes me away from my writing and I'm hoping one day to be able to support myself with writing income. I have too many stories to tell to have a day job.

Looks like a really great group! Like some of the others this is the first group I've actually participated in (though I do belong to another group here).

My Twitter handle is @CindyPCarroll

Ellen Ekstrom (RevEllen) | 62 comments Lyn, thanks for making another space for authors to connect, and thanks for inviting us!

I'm Ellen L. Ekstrom, and I'm an author of historical and literary fiction. My publisher is the independent press, Central Avenue Publishing.

I'm an Episcopal clergywoman by calling and vocation (that life would make several books), writer out of passion and inclination, legal secretary out of necessity. Something's got to pay the bills. I've learned to write first thing in the morning after saying the Morning Office, write on the commute, write after dinner, family time and before Evening Prayer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. my latest novel, "Tallis' Third Tune" is literary fiction and came out of a conversation with a friend. From there it took a life of its own and practically wrote itself - took me three months to write, six to edit and rewrite. Looks like the sequel is following the same course.

I'm on the sabbatical from ministry right now - in between parish assignments - and I'm getting used to sleeping in on Sundays and my Saturdays to myself. That can't be good in the long run, but for right now it's where I need and want to be. You can find me at Facebook and when I think of it, Twitter - @Reverendella. My blog site is ladyelogos.wordpress.com

All the best, and then some,

E

Joanne (iifiread) | 3 comments Hi ya'll! I'm Joanne. I live in Hawaii. I used to LOVE reading as a kid, then I stopped when I entered high school. (Thanks to all the homework and projects the teachers gave me!) I'm in my third year of high school now and my passion for reading is up and running. YAY!! :D

Um... not sure what else to say... OH! I love to listen to music and watch old movies. I'm a dreamer who dreams of becoming an author one day. I am working on a few projects that I hope to get published in the near future.

I have a cat name Molly, and a dog named Hachi(that's japanese for the NO. 8 AND the name of the dog from the movie, Hachi)

My Twitter is @ReadingBats

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7