Book Loving Kiwis discussion

A Continent On The Move: New Zealand Geoscience Into The 21st Century
This topic is about A Continent On The Move
Author Corner > Environmental Fiction and Non-Fiction

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (Tuibird) | 280 comments I'd like to set up a corner here to talk about books that are on an environmental topic. They should either be written by NZers or have some relevance to NZ readers. They could be either fiction or non-fiction and could be for any age-group.
We've had a terrible disaster quite recently with the Rena oil spill and we are a geographically isolated country with all the environmental advantages and disadvantages that presents.

To start the ball rolling I'll say that I found "A Continent on the Move," very useful when I was researching the setting for my fiction novel of ancient dolphins. Through this book, I found out that this country wasn't even here at the time my story was set. So this book saved me from making a massive blunder. I have my own copy, and its a very beautiful book.
I'd love to hear how others have made use of this book.

message 2: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1392 comments I'm browsing through threads that I've just not got to before, and saw this. Have gone to the library website to reserve a copy of A Continent On The Move: New Zealand Geoscience Into The 21st Century - it looks very interesting.

Another book that I'm halfway through (it's back at the library now because it's not a read-all-at-once type of book and I'd already renewed it once, and I'll get around to borrowing it again sometime in the not-too-far-distant future) is Apocalyptic Planet: Field Guide to the Ever-Ending Earth - very interesting.

message 3: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (Tuibird) | 280 comments That does sound cool and perhaps a bit scary but probably contains truths we all should face. Fantastic title. I checked it out and would certainly like to own this. Might look into that.

message 4: by Tui (new)

Tui Allen (Tuibird) | 280 comments I checked out Apocalyptic Planet.Unfortunately no e-version but the book itself is not all that expensive. Looks fascinating and quite inspiring for other writers too.

message 5: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1392 comments Yes - my uncle was reading it. He was hospitalized briefly and I returned his library copy for him. Liked the look of it so much that I looked for a copy myself to read.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Continent On The Move: New Zealand Geoscience Into The 21st Century (other topics)
Apocalyptic Planet: Field Guide to the Ever-Ending Earth (other topics)