ELEVEN READERS CLUB 11/12 discussion

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)
Assesment for "The Sweetness of the Bottom of the Pie"

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hina (last edited May 14, 2012 06:06PM) (new)

Hina | 7 comments The Sweetness of the Bottom of the Pie
By: Alan Bradley
- Hina Mughal

When picking novels to read I am a very picky person. I enjoy a book that is captivating from the first page to the very last. The text at the back of the book should make me want to open the book and sit down in one place and don’t stop reading till the book is finished.

I apologize for having a last minute book change. But I have come to the interest to read the book The Sweetness of the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. This book is a mystery book and I enjoy reading novels that are about mystery. One of my favourite mystery novels being "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime by Mark Haddon. The book I have chosen has been Globe and Mail best seller and a New York Times best seller. It also is the winner of Crime Writers Debut Dagger Award.

I enjoy crime novels because it always keeps you at the edge of your seat. When you think something is going to happen the opposite does, its never what you except it to be. I look forward to read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and ready to solve a mystery.

Hina | 7 comments 1st Update of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.
p. 1-74

New words: meticulous, modicum and gallivatin'
Image: "I could see perfectly in my minds eye: the artificial lake: the island with its crumbling Folly; the fountains now dry, that had been shut off since the outbreak of the war; the hills beyond." & "At this fathers face turned whiter if possible than it had been before and his ears burned redder."

Devices:
Anaphora: "I breathed heavily through my nose, fighting desperately to stay calm. I tried counting to ten in every breath intake. I released each one slowly into the darkness."
Simile: "He was now sucking air through his nose like a cart horse as he reached towards the thing on the doorstep."

The book has unique characters. Very interesting and takes turns very fast in the book.

Hina | 7 comments Update 2 p-75-148

Words: roguish, thatched and primitive
Devices: simile- "Theres nothing like cold meats in June - they;re as good as a picnic."
Repetition: "Snipes, snipes, snipes! Thats all I hear about these daysni snipes!"

Image: "The slight growth of whiskers on his chin, strands of his red hair shifting gently on the faint stirrings of the morning breeze, the pallor, the extended leg, the quivering fingers. that last, sucking breath. And the word blown in my face...Vale."

The book definitely gets more interesting and the mystery slowly starts unraveling because Flavine finds many clues. Also new characters are introduced ex. Ned.

Hina | 7 comments Update 3 p- 149-222

Words:aeons,garrulous and conferanator
Devices: simile-"Suddenly recovering her usual garrulous powers as she bustled about the shop."
Allusion- "Same old picture of King George's head."

Image- "She snatched her false tetth froma tumblr and rammed them into her mouth, then vanished for a momment, as I leaped to the ground I heard teh sound of the bolt being shit back."

Flavia goes to find out the truth behind the death as she finds many peole to help her with this mystery. Like Ms. Cool the librarian.

Hina | 7 comments Update 4 p.223-297
Words: deduced,scoff and equine.
Devices- Personification-"It was burdned with heavy sadness.
Simile- "The whole place seemed slightly unreal,like a grossly enlarged Agafacolor print."

Image- "His face lt from below by the soft glow of the Vauxhalls insturment panel.The widescreens wipeers, like black scythes, swashed back and forth across the glass in the strange light of the storm."

Tabels are turning in the book. Refering back to the title "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" tables turn to Ms.Mullet their neighbour who made the pie and the question is. Is she the one poisoned the pie? If so then why? Very interesting have to keep reading!

Hina | 7 comments Update 5 p.298-373
Words: idly,ulster and coiine
Devices- rhyme-"There are times when you desrve a brass medal. And there are times you desrve to be sent to your room with bread and water."
Alliteration- "I would rumble off th ebox and likely break and arem or a leg. I steeled myself and waited for the pain to pass biting the inside of my cheek with such feroccity. I almost tasted instantly my won warm,salty blood."

Image- "I dropped slowly to my knees on the tea ches. Climbing down at least was than climbing up."

Definatley a huge twist in the book. Flavia a 12 year old did all she could to prove her father inoccent and she did exactly that. Family bonds die hard.

message 7: by Hina (last edited Jun 10, 2012 04:08PM) (new)

Hina | 7 comments ASSESMENT :
“There are things which need to be known. And there are things which need not be known.” This quote definitely defined the entire book, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I am usually not into Canadian Crime Novels but this book has changed my mind. The main character in the book is a twelve year old girl named Flavia and it surprised me to know that she is the one who solved the mystery in the book. The book jumps right into action. Within the first thirty pages there is an unexplained murder that takes place in the Buckshaw house. Flavia was the one who discovered the dead body in the garden and got to speak to the unknown dying victim. “The body in the cucumber sucked in a shuddering breath...and then bubbling out of the nose exhaled it in a single word, slowly and a little sadly, directly into my face “Vale “it said. Most “normal” twelve year olds would be afraid or lost. But Flavia is an unusual quirky twelve year old interested in chemical bonds, chemical reactions and poison. “I wish I could say I was afraid but I wasn’t. Quite the contrary. This was by far the most interesting thing that had ever happened to me in my entire life.” She was amused by the death and wanted to be “Sherlock Holmes” and solve the mystery of the murder, until the inspector pointed fingers at her father accusing him for the murder. Flavia knew her father was innocent but no one would believe it until there was evidence proving his was not guilty. “It was the moment I realized Father had no bruises, no scratches, no cuts, and no abrasions...at least none that were visible.” The blame being on Flavia’s father drove her to unravel the case.
The fingers eventually turn and point at Mrs.Mullet the housekeeper and the next door neighbour. A pie was sitting on the table and a slice had been eaten. Could it be that poison was at the bottom of the sweet pie? “Unless some sweetness at the bottom lies, who cares for all the crinkling of the pie.” One of the main things that surprised me about the book was it was none of the people suspected by the inspector. It was Frank Pemberton and Bob Stanley the victim’s friends. They stole the Ulster Avenger and knew Horrace knew therefore they killed him before they got caught. Once they found out Flavia knew they were the murderers as well. They threatened to kill her but Flavia being a smart lad she knew what exactly to do with the house servant by her side Dogger. They put both the murderers in jail and sent the Ulster avenger back to King George where it belonged.
The book kept me turning the page and twisted my thoughts because the opposite would always happen. An adventurous novel and for the first time I enjoyed a Canadian Crime Novel two great things came out of this. One Flavia solved the case and two I enjoy Canadian crime novels.

unread topics | mark unread