The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 20.5. Bigger is Better: Masanobu's Task - A Game of Books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 97) (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 08, 2012 07:05PM) (new)

Sandy | 9735 comments Mod
20.5. Bigger is Better: Masanobu's Task - A Game of Books

Game of Thrones, the successful series adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones), is returning April 1st. I love the series and the books, so I wanted fellow SRC members to get acquainted with them - and spread the love!

Most characters from A Song of Ice and Fire live in Westeros and belong to a House. For this task you will roll one die to discover your House and read one book accordingly! Die Roller

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: state what you rolled when posting and include a link to the cover if you choose one of the cover options. If the connection between the book and the option is not clear, please state how the book meets the requirements. If you happen to go with the title option for any option, no variations of the words are allowed.

1. Baratheon: their motto is “Ours is the fury” and their coat of arms is a black stag on a field of gold.
Read a book which has a predominantly black and gold/yellow cover OR the word ‘stag’ (‘deer’, ‘reindeer’ or ‘elk’ are valid too) in the title OR features royal characters. A royal character should be related to or have the status of a king or queen or member of their family.

2. Lannister: their motto is “Hear Me Roar!” and their coat of arms is a golden lion on a field of crimson.
Read a book which has a predominantly red and gold/yellow cover OR the word ‘lion’ in the title OR features a war OR is included in one of these lists about money and wealth: < a href = "http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/40..." >All That Glitters Is Gold, The Upper Classes.

3. Stark: their motto is “Winter Is Coming” and their coat of arms is a grey direwolf racing across a white field.
Read a book which has a predominantly white and grey cover OR the word ‘wolf’ in the title OR is set in winter.

4. Targaryen: their motto is “Fire and Blood” and their coat of arms is a red three-headed dragon on a black field.
Read a book which has a predominantly black and red cover OR the word ‘dragon’ in the title OR read a fantasy book.
REQUIRED: : if you choose to read a fantasy book, the main page genres must include fantasy.

5. Tully: their motto is “Family, Duty, Honor” and their coat of arms is a silver trout leaping on a blue and red striped field.
Read a book which has a predominantly red and blue cover OR the word 'fish' or the name of a fish in the title OR is about the army Or is a family saga. A family saga should follow generations of a family through a period of history. Ex. Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family, A Good American
These lists may give you some ideas: Best Family Sagas , Military Men As with all GR lists, not every book will necessarily fit the task.

6. Arryn: their motto is “As High as Honor” and their coat of arms is a sky-blue falcon soaring on a white moon, on a sky-blue field.
Read a book which has a predominantly white and blue cover OR the word ‘moon’ in the title OR read a thriller or mystery.
REQUIRED: if you choose to read a thriller or mystery book, the main page genres must include thriller or mystery.

message 2: by Masanobu (last edited Apr 29, 2012 01:11PM) (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Covers Accepted:

Option 3: Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst, Motherless Brooklyn A Novel by Jonathan Lethem, Mercury's Rise by Ann Parker

Option 6: Silverfin (The Young James Bond, Book 1) by Charlie Higson, Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman, Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #2) by Michelle Paver

message 3: by Masanobu (last edited Apr 29, 2012 12:53PM) (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Covers Rejected:

Option 6: The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1) by Kate Thompson, Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo (Leven Thumps, #1) by Obert Skye

message 4: by Kathy G. (last edited Mar 08, 2012 08:15PM) (new)

Kathy G. | 1854 comments Would this be considered Black and Red for option 4?
If not, it is fantasy-- but I was just wondering.

Eon Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 2271 comments I love this task. I love the series :)

message 6: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I wanted to check these for option 2 with the red and gold/yellow color...
She's Gone Country by Jane Porter Juliet by Anne Fortier Inkheart (Inkheart, #1) by Cornelia Funke Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2) by Colleen Houck Alice (Modern Wicked Fairy Tales) by Selena Kitt Rapunzel (Modern Wicked Fairy Tales) by Selena Kitt Beauty (Modern Wicked Fairy Tales) by Selena Kitt Goldilocks (Modern Wicked Fairy Tales) by Selena Kitt Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2) by Lisa Kleypas I am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore Life of Pi by Yann Martel Witch and Wizard (Witch and Wizard, #1) by James Patterson Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling Falling Fast (A romantic comedy about friendship, family...and unexpected love) by Lucy Kevin Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead Kill Me If You Can by James Patterson The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School by Alexandra Robbins

Can you just let me know if they are ok?

message 7: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments I rolled a 3 - can I do The Snow Child (set in winter)? Thanks.

message 8: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments what about these for red and gold/yellow covers:
Three Fur All by Crymsyn Hart or Wicked Lies by Trista Ann Michaels or Brotherhood of Fire  by Elizabeth Moore

thanks!

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2135 comments I also rolled a 3 and plan to read Bamboo and Blood, which is set in winter.

message 10: by Jody (new)

Jody | 124 comments #2- Can "lion" appear in the series title. A Voice in the Wind. The series is Mark of the Lion

message 11: by KSMary (last edited Mar 09, 2012 05:37AM) (new)

KSMary | 453 comments I rolled a 3 also. Would these work for white and grey covers: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Atonement by Ian McEwan Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama The Awakening by Kate Chopin Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil by John Berendt 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson Seabiscuit An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand

message 12: by JennRenee (last edited Mar 09, 2012 05:33PM) (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1163 comments for option three gray and white cover... Eternal (Tantalize, #2) by Cynthia Leitich Smith Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. Bick Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie Awakening (The Watchers Trilogy, #1) by Karice Bolton Wide Awake (Academy of the Fallen, #1) by Daniele Lanzarotta The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2) by Kelley Armstrong This World We Live In (Last Survivors, #3) by Susan Beth Pfeffer Undercurrent (Siren #2) by Tricia Rayburn Whisper (Whisper, #1) by Phoebe Kitanidis Angelfire (Angelfire, #1) by Courtney Allison Moulton Almost to Die For (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #1) by Tate Hallaway Bad Girls Don't Die (Bad Girls Don't Die, #1) by Katie Alender Numbers (Numbers, #1) by Rachel Ward Article 5 (Article 5, #1) by Kristen Simmons Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 539 comments Here are my two red and gold covers

The Queen's Man (Justin de Quincy, #1) by Sharon Kay Penman The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Sureshot26) | 771 comments I'm hoping one of these works for option 3, white/gray cover:

Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst

Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem

Mercury's Rise by Ann Parker

message 15: by Rhiannon (last edited Mar 09, 2012 08:07AM) (new)

Rhiannon | 211 comments would Sleeping with the Fishes for option #5 the plural of fish work?

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5462 comments yay!! I was hoping to find a place for the library book i've been reading that I had to read, since it was an ebook ;)

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Mcdaid | 156 comments will any of these work for blue and white cover The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1) by Kate Thompson Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo (Leven Thumps, #1) by Obert Skye Silverfin (The Young James Bond, Book 1) by Charlie Higson Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #2) by Michelle Paver

message 18: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Michael wrote: "will any of these work for blue and white cover The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1) by Kate ThompsonLeven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo (Leven Thumps, #1) by Obert SkyeSilverfin (The Young James Bond, Book 1) by Charlie HigsonUnwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman[bookc..."

Silverfin, Unwind and Spirit Walker will work. Unfortunately, Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo and The New Policeman (it looks purplish to me) won't.

message 19: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Dee wrote: "yay!! I was hoping to find a place for the library book i've been reading that I had to read, since it was an ebook ;)"

It's always great to find a fitting task for a book you are reading :)

message 20: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Rhiannon wrote: "would Sleeping with the Fishes for option #5 the plural of fish work?"

I'm sorry to say that no variations are allowed, so plurals won't work. I hope you find another task for that book!

message 21: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Jessica wrote: "I'm hoping one of these works for option 3, white/gray cover:

Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst

Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem

Mercury's Rise by Ann Parker"

All of them work. :)

message 22: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Chris wrote: "Here are my two red and gold covers

The Queen's Man (Justin de Quincy, #1) by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver"

The Queen's Man has little gold in it, so I'm saying no. However, The Lacuna is perfect! :)

message 23: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (CleoCleveland) | 250 comments I rolled a 5 - is this OK for a red and blue cover? The Countess (Madison Sisters #1) by Lynsay Sands

message 24: by Masanobu (last edited Mar 10, 2012 06:24AM) (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments JennRenee wrote: "for option three gray and white cover... Eternal (Tantalize, #2) by Cynthia Leitich Smith Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. BickCrossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie Awakening (The Watchers Trilogy, #1) by Karice BoltonWide Awake (Academy of the Fallen, #1) by Daniele Lanzarotta Undercurrent A Siren Novel by Tricia Rayburn, Awakening (The Watchers Trilogy #1) by Karice Bolton, Numbers (Numbers, #1) by Rachel Ward, Article 5 (Article 5, #1) by Kristen Simmons, Whisper (Whisper, #1) by Phoebe Kitanidis, This World We Live In (Last Survivors, #3) by Susan Beth Pfeffer, Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie, Angelfire (Angelfire, #1) by Courtney Allison Moulton, Wide Awake (Academy of the Fallen, #1) by Daniele Lanzarotta, Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi

No: The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2) by Kelley Armstrong, Bad Girls Don't Die (Bad Girls Don't Die, #1) by Katie Alender, Almost to Die For (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #1) by Tate Hallaway, Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu, Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith, Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. Bick

message 25: by Masanobu (last edited Mar 10, 2012 06:46AM) (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments KSMary wrote: "I rolled a 3 also. Would these work for white and grey covers:Brave New World by Aldous HuxleyLegend (Legend, #1) by Marie LuAtonement by Ian McEwanHush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca FitzpatrickThe Awakening by Kate Chopin, Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon, Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu, 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson

Yes: Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil by John Berendt, Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer, Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick, Atonement by Ian McEwan, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Seabiscuit An American Legend by Laura Hillenbrand, Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama

message 26: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Jody wrote: "#2- Can "lion" appear in the series title. A Voice in the Wind. The series is Mark of the Lion"

The word must appear in the actual title, not in the series title. So, no, A Voice in the Wind wouldn't work.

message 27: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Bea wrote: "I also rolled a 3 and plan to read Bamboo and Blood, which is set in winter."

It fits really well and the series sounds interesting. :)

message 28: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Sassafrass wrote: "what about these for red and gold/yellow covers:
Three Fur All by Crymsyn Hart or Wicked Lies by Trista Ann Michaels or Brotherhood of Fire  by Elizabeth Moore

thanks!"

All of them work. :)

message 29: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments mstan wrote: "I rolled a 3 - can I do The Snow Child (set in winter)? Thanks."

I haven't read it, so I am not 100% sure that it all happens during winter. However, I am going to go ahead and say that it works, because the summary mentions the season's first snowfall. If not, it might work for the cover option: is it grey or blue?

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 539 comments Masanobu wrote: "Chris wrote: "Here are my two red and gold covers

The Queen's Man (Justin de Quincy, #1) by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver"

The Queen's Man has little gold in it, so I'm saying no. However, The Lacuna is..."

Thanks. You know, I thought the text on the Queen's Man was in gold, but it's actually white. Need to get the eyes checked!

message 31: by Masanobu (last edited Mar 10, 2012 09:30AM) (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I wanted to check these for option 2 with the red and gold/yellow color...

No:
Hunts Simple Meals for Busy Days by Better Homes and Gardens, She's Gone Country by Jane Porter, Alice (Modern Wicked Fairy Tales) by Selena Kitt, Rapunzel (Modern Wicked Fairy Tales) by Selena Kitt, Witch and Wizard (Witch and Wizard, #1) by James Patterson, The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins, The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater, The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School by Alexandra Robbins, Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Yes:
Juliet by Anne Fortier, Beauty (Modern Wicked Fairy Tales) by Selena Kitt, I am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore, Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling, Falling Fast (A romantic comedy about friendship, family...and unexpected love) by Lucy Kevin, Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead, Kill Me If You Can by James Patterson, Goldilocks (Modern Wicked Fairy Tales) by Selena Kitt, Inkheart (Inkheart, #1) by Cornelia Funke, Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan

There are a couple of covers that have me sitting on the fence. Would you mind answering some questions about them? It would help in case some other member is thinking of using them.

Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy
Is the bottom half red? It looks fuchsia or burgundy to me, but it could be the computer screen.

Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2) by Lisa Kleypas
Are the letters yellow or gold? They look beige to me, but again, I think it could be the screen.

message 32: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I think what you gave me is fine...I have all these books waiting to be read and just wanted to see what I could fit...Thanks for your response!

message 33: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I love this task. I love the series :)"

Thank you! :)

I'm so excited about the next season! I actually liked the first season better than I thought I would. I liked the books so much I thought they wouldn't translate well to the screen, but I was so wrong.

message 34: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Would this be considered Black and Red for option 4?
If not, it is fantasy-- but I was just wondering.

Eon Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman"

I'm tempted to say yes. I mean, Dragoneye Reborn goes so well with the Targaryen theme. But I think it has too much yellow in it to count for this option.

So I'm glad you can read it anyway because of the fantasy genre. :)

message 35: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments KarenF wrote: "I rolled a 5 - is this OK for a red and blue cover? The Countess (Madison Sisters #1) by Lynsay Sands"

Sure! :)

message 36: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1854 comments Thank you Masanobu-
I'm glad I can still read it, too!
:-)

message 37: by Jess (new)

Jess | 49 comments Does this work as a white and grey cover for option 3?
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

message 38: by mstan (last edited Mar 26, 2012 06:18AM) (new)

mstan | 876 comments Masanobu wrote: "mstan wrote: "I rolled a 3 - can I do The Snow Child (set in winter)? Thanks."

I haven't read it, so I am not 100% sure that it all happens during winter. However, I am going to go..."

I will try and get my hands on it and check out whether the cover is grey or blue. I think it's more grey (from what I can see from online images) so it may work for the cover option. I'll also try to see if it's indeed set in winter (I'm guessing Nov-Mar? I'm asking because it seems to be 'wintry' in Alaska beyond those months).

message 39: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Jess wrote: "Does this work as a white and grey cover for option 3?
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys"

Yes, it does. Actually, a bunch of the Penguin Modern Classics work.

I hope you like the book. I did. :)

message 40: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments mstan wrote: "Masanobu wrote: "mstan wrote: "I rolled a 3 - can I do The Snow Child (set in winter)? Thanks."

I haven't read it, so I am not 100% sure that it all happens during winter. However,..."

Okay. Thanks for taking the time to check it! :)

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess | 49 comments Masanobu wrote: "Jess wrote: "Does this work as a white and grey cover for option 3?
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys"

Yes, it does. Actually, a bunch of the Penguin Modern Classics work.

I hope you like the..."

Thanks :) been on my to read list for ages hopefully gonna finally get round to reading it this month

message 42: by Carla (new)

Carla Ruffer (hpaddict) | 118 comments would this work for the white and grey cover?

Rin Tin Tin The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean

message 43: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (SFGirl) | 358 comments Can I use Absolution (Heavenly, #3) by Jennifer Laurens for white and grey cover?

message 44: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura | 66 comments Hi there. Would this book work for the black and gold cover? The City of Ember

Thanks!

message 45: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Monica wrote: "Hi there. Would this book work for the black and gold cover? The City of Ember

Thanks!"

Yes, it works. :)

message 46: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Skandia wrote: "Can I use Absolution (Heavenly, #3) by Jennifer Laurens for white and grey cover?"

No, sorry, it has too much black in it.

I'd prefer it if you could find a lighter cover (or a different book to fit the task) now that we still have plenty of time to complete the challenge.

I hope you find another task for that book!

message 47: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura | 66 comments Masanobu wrote: "Monica wrote: "Hi there. Would this book work for the black and gold cover? The City of Ember

Thanks!"

Yes, it works. :)"

Great!

message 48: by Masanobu (new)

Masanobu (MasanobuTomoe) | 158 comments Carla wrote: "would this work for the white and grey cover?

Rin Tin Tin The Life and the Legend by Susan Orlean"

Yes, it works. And I've heard great things about it!

message 49: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 276 comments For family saga (5) - does it have to be stated that as genre on book page?

Red Sorghum - the genre does not specify family saga but part of blurb states "From 1923 to 1976 three generations of one family endure the brutal and turbulant years of China's revolutionary history in the most powerful and important novel to emerge from the new China". That's family saga, right?

message 50: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_Lindsey_) | 395 comments Would any "for dummies" book work for option 1? They all have yellow and black covers.
Wicca & Witchcraft for Dummies by Diane Smith

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Good American (other topics)
Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family (other topics)
A Game of Thrones (other topics)
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (other topics)
Firelight (other topics)
More...