Clean Romances discussion

For A Smile
This topic is about For A Smile
Book Chats > Short Stories or Novels?

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lydia Jones (Lydia6) | 11 comments Hi! I'm Lydia. I'm new to this group and also Goodreads. I'm a writer of short stories for magazines and anthologies. Many of my stories are romantic and all are clean. You can check out my as yet incomplete author profile! I've started this discussion on my page but am interested to hear what Clean Romance readers think.
Many people seem to think short stories secondary to novels but as a reader myself I love them! I keep my Kindle in my bag and snatch a short story when I'm on the go: being Mum's taxi or cooking. What does everyone else think?

Susan I love short stories too! Welcome to the group Lydia!

Literary  Chanteuse | 17 comments I used to not be a particular fan of short stories however I have been reading more of them lately and I can say I am now a huge fan. Every once in a while I go on a short story marathon. I've read some that were very good and satisfying reads.

Susan Hatler (susanhatler) | 70 comments Hi Lydia. Short stories or novels? Depends on my mood (as with most things in my life - lol). :) My Last Blind Date by Susan Hatler

Susan Susan I just read that and loved it!

Literary  Chanteuse | 17 comments Susan wrote: "Susan I just read that and loved it!"

Me too!

Jessica Nelson (JessicaNelson) | 6 comments I prefer novels, definitely. :-)

Susan Hatler (susanhatler) | 70 comments Susan wrote: "Susan I just read that and loved it!"

Oh, fun Susan!! Thx.!! :)

Susan Hatler (susanhatler) | 70 comments Margaret wrote: "Susan wrote: "Susan I just read that and loved it!"

Me too!"

Margaret wrote: "Susan wrote: "Susan I just read that and loved it!"

Me too!"

Yay!! Thanks, Margaret!! My Last Blind Date spent 5 days on the bestseller list on Amazon United Kingdom and it's on it's sixth day in the US. So exciting! :) :)

Jewel (jewela) | 164 comments Lydia wrote: "Hi! I'm Lydia. I'm new to this group and also Goodreads. I'm a writer of short stories for magazines and anthologies. Many of my stories are romantic and all are clean. You can check out my as yet ..."

Welcome, Lydia!!! I love short stories, too! I've written quite a few and they've been a lot of fun:-)

Anne Mikusinsi (abghostwriter) | 33 comments I read both, depending on my mood, perhaps because I write both. :)

Lydia Jones (Lydia6) | 11 comments Thanks for the welcome, guys and it's great to know there are so many of you out there enjoying short stories. I shall do my best to keep them coming!
Until I get myself properly organized with Goodreads, you can see the latest news about what I have coming up with the magazines (many of which I know are pubbed abroad as well as U.K.) at my website: www.lydiajones.co.uk.
Good to make contact with you all. :)

Susan Hatler (susanhatler) | 70 comments Happy writing, Lydia! :)

Rachael | 11 comments Novels! More to get your teeth into and lasts longer!

Marie | 12 comments I mostly prefer novels but it also depends on my mood. I also find it harder to find well-written or at least decent short stories. Another reason I prefer novels is because I love well written short stories but I often find them too short or they leave me wanting more. However, I do love short stories, especially Jorges Borges. He blows my mind.

message 16: by Animalia (last edited Mar 09, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Animalia | 14 comments Novels, definitely. Each time I try to get into reading short stories I always end up complaining after I finish that the story was to short. ;)

But to each their own. :D

JoAnne | 7 comments I prefer novels most of the time, but I have to say that around the Christmas season, (when I am at my busiest), I prefer short stories about the holidays or anthologies, which I can get through pretty fast. I'll also read the occasional short story if it pertains to whatever holiday we are close to (Valentine's, Easter, etc.). That's about the only time I'll read them.

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I've tried writing novels and short stories. The short stories are very hard to get right. They need time to try and make every word count. I read other people's short stories to try and improve my writing of novels actually. It's a bit like golf - if a bloke wants to improve his game he should watch the women play. They rely on technique rather than brute strength, tactics rather than just blasting a ball off the tee and then womdering what to do for the next shot.

That said, any well written fiction will live with you and enrich your life, and we all have different needs at different times.

Lydia Jones (Lydia6) | 11 comments Thanks for your comments, everyone. I love novels and short stories, but love writing short stories most because I love the challenge of the craft. You're right, Jay: you need to make each word count and that's brilliant!
I'm starting a new discussion where I'm asking for member help and feedback for my next book. I hope you'll all contribute if you can! :)

Patsy Collins | 12 comments It depends on my mood and how much time I have.

Lydia Jones (Lydia6) | 11 comments Hi Patsy - thanks for dropping by! I think the great thing about short stories is that you can snatch them when you don't have the time to read anything longer - that's their strength. :) x

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

My Last Blind Date (other topics)