Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Practical Pagan > All Things Tarot

Comments (showing 1-50 of 94) (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments A thread to discuss all things relating to tarot - history, cards, books, readings etc.

message 2: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments :) Just to warm the thread a little, a question: What's your favourite tarot? Is it the one you use to read with most often, or the one with the artwork you love most? Perhaps you're wedded to just one deck.

I've been collecting tarots for a few years now, but I'm not a collector in the true sense, in that I only buy the ones with artwork I like. I think of them as mini art galleries in boxes, and love to dream my way through a deck when I have some quiet time. I said when I began that I'd stop at 100, but I have about 130 now, although I buy very few these days. I read only for myself - it's more a sort of introspection or meditation than a quest for answers to questions, although it's uncanny how the tarot has a knack of answering questions that you haven't asked.

Not counting the tarots I've created myself, I think Elizabetta Trevisan's Crystal Tarot is just so beautiful, especially spread on black felt, yet I like the Spiral Tarot - the majors are wonderful and it's so easy to read.

And of course the amazing Thoth, which usually tells me things I don't want to know...

That's three, but three is a magic number :)

message 3: by Ancestral (last edited Mar 08, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

Ancestral Gael " The Greenwood Tarot: Pre-Celtic Shamanism of the Mythic Forest " was the first deck I ever picked up and was able to read without reading the accompanying LWB. I was doing a free, online course at the time using the Rider Waite, but this deck immediately spoke to me. Like you, Nell, I was a collector at the time, but all those other decks have now found new homes, as I only ever read with the " The Greenwood Tarot: Pre-Celtic Shamanism of the Mythic Forest ".

I'm not particularly keen on all the artwork, but it somehow allows me to make the connection. I've looked at Will Worthington's " The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides " which was a collaboration with one of the authors of the " The Greenwood Tarot: Pre-Celtic Shamanism of the Mythic Forest ", but it's not for me, so I stick with what I know: " The Greenwood Tarot: Pre-Celtic Shamanism of the Mythic Forest ".

message 4: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Ah, the mystical Greenwood. Out of print now, and incredibly expensive when a secondhand one comes up. I have the The Celtic Shaman's Pack: Exploring The Inner Worlds/Book And Cards, illustrated by Chesca Potter, and love it.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (bookeater89) I started with Rider Waite as my first deck and its always the deck I would prefer to use if I'm doing a reading for someone for the first time.

But I have about 8 decks now. A lot of the decks I really would like aren't available anymore and id have to pay a mini fortune to have them.

The deck I like holding and looking through most is my Wildwood tarot. They feel good. But I love all my decks :)

message 6: by Ancestral (last edited Mar 07, 2012 03:26PM) (new)

Ancestral Gael Nell wrote: "Ah, the mystical Greenwood. Out of print now, and incredibly expensive when a secondhand one comes up. ..."

Perhaps I should not carry my deck in my handbag then?

I used to own " The Celtic Shaman's Pack: Exploring The Inner Worlds/Book And Cards ", but stopped reading it, too, eventually. I still have a few other decks in my possession, but I tend to use them only for ritual.

message 7: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Samantha wrote: The deck I like holding and looking through most is my Wildwood tarot. They feel good. But I love all my decks :)

I think the special relationships we have with our decks are built up gradually through contact and interaction :)

Ancestral wrote:
Perhaps I should not carry my deck in my handbag then?"

Maybe just be careful with the handbag - it's right that precious things should be used and enjoyed rather than kept in mint condition on a shelf somewhere.

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (bookeater89) Nell: I think the special relationships we have with our decks are built up gradually through contact and interaction :)

I agree. But that is the same for anything. You need to have contact and some sort of understanding before there is something more.

But then I can never give away or sell a book I've read because its part of me, the same is true of my decks... although I will borrow someone a book but nobody can touch my cards unless there is a reason for it.

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) I just spent 2 days photographing my whole collection and placed it on Facebook, just for fun. 103 photos. Right now I am reading with the The Tarot of Prague Kit: A Tarot Deck and Book Based on the Art and Architecture of the "Magic City". I usually switch deck weekly for my blog. However, I got a few faves that I never let go of. My biggest love is The Gill Tarot. I got my first deck back in the late 1980:ies and still got it, a surprisingly fresh looking Fournier TdM.
I have traded off a few decks but rarely regret it, once I interacted with a deck, it is still with me in a way.
*envy* over that Greenwood though. Right now I am most looking forward to the Mary-El tarot due to arrive in a few weeks from the slow-pokes over at amazon.co.uk

message 10: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments I'd love a Greenwood too. Maybe one day one will appear - I'd be happy if it were old and battered.

My Mary-El arrived a couple of hours ago. I had to go out, but couldn't resist a look through the cards beforehand. The black borders were a surprise - I was expecting white borders with titles enclosed by the wings of Horus. Looking forward to spending some time with the cards and the book tonight. I hope your deck will arrive soon.

message 11: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Samantha wrote: "Nell: I think the special relationships we have with our decks are built up gradually through contact and interaction :)

I agree. But that is the same for anything. You need to have contact and some sort of understanding before there is something more.
..."

I could easily let some of my less-loved books go, but not the less-loved cards - I always imagine there'll come a time when they'll be important to me. I think it's the handling that does it...

message 12: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gael Samantha wrote: "...But then I can never give away or sell a book I've read because its part of me, the same is true of my decks... although I will borrow someone a book but nobody can touch my cards unless there is a reason for it. "

I must admit that I used to be like that about books; would not let them go; but now I have limited space, unless I feel I will use a book I've read for future reference, it goes back into the world.

Samantha wrote: "... although I will borrow someone a book but nobody can touch my cards unless there is a reason for it. "

I don't lend books anymore; so many have never been returned. As to tarot cards, however, I find it (almost) essential to have the querent, who is sitting before me, shuffle them before a reading. I have no qualms about them touching my cards in that instance; however my crystal ball is quite another matter and no-one, absolutely no-one touches it. In fact, no-one even gets to see it but me.

message 13: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) I just found a new set of cards with book that I never even seen before, I had planned on adding it to the database here but feel a bit unfamiliar with the system. And it lacks any kind of ISBN. It is called the AUM tarot and the book and deck is following the Golden Dawn system with a hint of ayur veda thrown into the mix. Quite interesting. I can add the photo of it to the photo album here.

message 14: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments There's a fairly recent thread about the Aum Tarot over on the Aeclectic Tarot Forum. I've never seen it before either, but obscure tarots seem to surface fairly often. The Tarot Collectors' Forum is a useful resource if you're a serious collector too.

message 15: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) heh yeah that is my post :-p
I can't get registered to the tarot collectors, they are closed for new people.

message 16: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments :) I think if you PM gregory over at AT, she'll register you at the Tarot Collectors Forum. I'm Pen at AT, goldenweb at TCF :)

message 17: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) Thanks Nell, will do that :-D
I am only half-serious collector though, I am not one to get multiple editions and such and mainly keep decks I enjoy to use. Although I got a few unfortunate buys too :-p

message 18: by Nell (last edited Mar 11, 2012 05:22AM) (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments The strange and mysterious workings of stunning Synchronicity, Fortune, the Gods and Goddesses come together and something happens. I shouldn't be surprised after all these years, but today I'm blown away.

As my husband was going out of the front door for his weekly tour of the car boot sale, I called out to him to look out for a Greenwood for me. Half an hour ago he came back and handed me (Oh, by the way, I bought you these...) a bag containing a few well-used tarots - the Goddess Tarot and the Arthurian, also the Druid Animal Oracle (which I already have).

And among the tarots (right at the bottom of the bag) was a precious Greenwood sans box but all present and correct and attached to its book by a black ribbon...!

I cried.

message 19: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) o0 what an amazing find! Congratulations!
I just checked out your profile too, you created that beautiful green Chagallian + the Pen tarot! Both are on my wishlist :-p

message 20: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments I've spent the last couple of hours reading the book and looking through the cards - I understand now why people love this set and sometimes forsake all others to study it. I'm finding that it speaks to me on a primal level - the book is full of wisdom and the artwork very spiritual.

The Wild Green Chagallian is out of print now, also the Pen, but I'll be resuming work on the current tarot-in-progess when I've formatted all the novels for publication as Kindles :)

message 21: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gael Nell wrote: "... I'm finding that it speaks to me on a primal level - the book is full of wisdom and the artwork very spiritual."

The gods are smiling on you Nell. How very fortunate. Congratulations.

I, too, find they speak to me on a different level. I have to admit I still have not read the accompanying book. Let us know how you get on with the cards when reading. I also use mine for meditations.

message 22: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments I'd like to study the book and become familiar with the cards - meditate too - before I read with them.

And I think you're right about the gods - small events and signs seem to have been been leading up to bringing me a Greenwood - I know there's a reason we've come together.

The Hare is just so beautiful - I can't stop looking at her.

message 23: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) I just finished the Portable Magic: Tarot Is the Only Tool You Need book and it was quite interesting, I don't agree with everything Tyson writes though but I tried out the basic temple set-up and the full ritual lay-out and think with a little tweaking I can work with it. My problem is my lack of knowledge in astrology really. Just thought I would share and hear if anyone else read this book - or has tips on books about tarot and astrology for me to learn more about astrology.

message 24: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments I haven't read it - the only aspect of astrology that manages to creep in for me is the historical connection of each card of the major arcana to one of the signs of the zodiac and the astrological tendencies associated with them.

You can find those in quite a few fairly basic tarot books - I think also in in one of Kaplan's The Encyclopedia Of Tarot - I thought it was in Book 1, but can't find it now. It's very basic stuff - you probably know it already. :)

The Oracle of the Radiant Sun is based on astrology, but it's not exactly tarot, although if I remember correctly there's much astrological information in the book.

message 25: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) This week I am working with the Daughters of the Moon tarot, I really should get the book though. Daughters of the Moon Tarot Book But meanwhile I just check wikipedia for the names of the Goddesses I don't know.

message 26: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments I've been following your blog since you posted the link on the blog thread - lovely photos - and I find the daily draw calm and reflective. :)

message 27: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) I am using the new Mary-El tarot now, amazingly beautiful and one I have been waiting for 10+ years to hold in my hand. The book to it is pretty good too! She does change the paths from the usual ones though (on the tree of life) but I think I can work around it.

message 28: by Nell (last edited Mar 31, 2012 09:37AM) (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Do you draw a card and then read the relevant page in the book, or simply go with intuition and what you see in the image? I find that her meanings are sometimes quite different from both the traditional and the intuitive.

I did a three-card draw with the Mary-El for the first time last night and found it pretty powerful.

message 29: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) I guess I do a bit of both. Like this morning I got Knight of Swords and her meaning is really the same in this case. She does have some interesting twists though, she is actually placing him on the middle pillar with the masks mouth over Daat and I never seen that before. Something I will need to ponder through the day I guess. I usually leave todays card out on my desk and scribble in my journal and just study the card before diving into the book.

message 30: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) This week I am using a brand new deck, for me. Sheridan-Douglas tarot. First created back in the early 70:ies but re-published 2008 or so. Bold colour, simple line-drawings but really really nice, a bit outside the box from the usual RWS clones yet not too out there. I love it more then I thought I would. There is a book written by them too but I get that one next month :-D

message 31: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments I'm still following and enjoying your blog, but usually read it from my mail box. I'm trying not to buy new decks (I already have too many), but am awaiting The Game of Tarot by Michael Dummett - I found a reasonably priced secondhand one on Amazon. Serious history stuff... :)

I do not like that new golden 'Group Rules' box that keeps popping up...

message 32: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Which two tarot cards best describe you to yourself?

message 33: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gael Nell wrote: "Which two tarot cards best describe you to yourself?"

The first is the Queen of Arrows:

Queen of Arrows

The second is The Ancestor:

The Ancestor

I feel some connection to both: I am often told the card that best represents me is the Queen of Arrows, but I feel closest to The Ancestor.

message 34: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Beautiful. I'm always struck by how new and magical the Greenwood images seem when they're singled out like this.

I'll scan mine later when I have more time.

message 35: by Nell (last edited May 16, 2012 08:33AM) (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments The first is the Hermit - I've chosen the Greenwood as it seems to have taken over.

Greenwood Hermit

The second is the Greenwood Hare. I don't usually identify with the Queen of Wands (I'd normally choose the Hermit and Temperance), but I recognize this particular card as significant and special on some deep level.
Photobucket

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara I've only ever used Anna Franklin's Sacred Circle Tarot. If I were to choose two cards to represent me, It would be The Shaman (known in most decks as The Hermit) and The Queen of Swords. I have images of both and would love to post them--not sure how to embed pictures in these replies, so I've added the links.

http://www.tarotpassages.com/images/S...

http://www.tarot-guidance.co.uk/image...

message 37: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Another hare - the Queen of Swords is accompanied by one. :)

If you upload the photos to somewhere like Flickr or Photobucket you can then copy the code to display them here. It's the a href=" code followed by the url and enclosed in those small pointed brackets. But it's easy enough to click on your links.

It's fascinating to see which cards people choose.

message 38: by Kat (new)

Kat (ElfKat) | 5 comments http://www.herebedragons.co.uk/chesca...
This is Chesca's interpretations of her cards of the Greenwood Tarot which is not the same as the book.

message 39: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Thanks Kat. I nearly always look up her meanings too - they're usually deeper than the ones in the book, especially for the minor cards. I keep meaning to print out the pages, but some re-formatting would be needed.

So much empathy in this deck...

message 40: by Kat (new)

Kat (ElfKat) | 5 comments Chesca was a member of the Fellowship of Isis as I am and she is quite highly appreciated by us but she has since disappeared and no one knows where she is. She was/is a amazing artist.

message 41: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments I heard that she left the Path she was on and became a xian, but whether that's true or not I wouldn't like to guess.

Another amazing artist, Elisabetta Cassari (Solleone Tarot), also disappeared. It seems that, even with the far reach of the Internet, it's possible not to be found.

message 42: by Nell (last edited May 19, 2012 10:59AM) (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments For you, Jeanette - you'll know why.:) The card on the left is the Star from the Cary Sheet (possibly as early as 1500), the one on the right is from Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot.

Photobucket

The Cary Sheet

message 43: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 580 comments Folks, what do you use the cards for?
Divination?
Games?
Self analysis/introspection?
Mnemonics?
Ritual aids?
All of the above?
None of the above? Just collect them?
I came at them via The Book of Thoth and tended to use them as mnemonics or for analysis, occasional ritual use.
Haven't touched them in ages though.

message 44: by Jeanette (jema) (new)

Jeanette (jema) (pixelina) oh thanks for the pics Nell, those are amazing. Dame Fortune's wheel was one of my lucky buys this year, love it! It is a way to ease into the TdM/Etteilla tradition. I must get Paul Husons book soon too.

I could not pin down just 2 cards to post here, I tried, I thought long and hard but just could not do it - yet. Will think some more. This week I am gonna use the Mythic tarot.

As for what I use the cards for - all of the above. But really most of all as a lens, a way to cast a new light on my life. Perhaps this is why it is so hard to pick just 2 cards, I see myself in ALL the cards.

I read this greeting I kind of like.
May a full deck of possibilities be yours.

message 45: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gael Old-Barbarossa wrote: "Folks, what do you use the cards for?
Divination?
Games?
Self analysis/introspection?
Mnemonics?
Ritual aids?
All of the above?
None of the above? Just collect them? ..."

Divination, meditation, self analysis/introspection, and in workings. I find them a useful tool indeed.

message 46: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Self analysis/introspection, meditation and historical study. Divination is not usually deliberate on my part, but sometimes just happens.

Except for the one I use often (the Greenwood these days), I have about 130 decks which I think of as mini art galleries, but I buy very few new ones these days.

Jeanette wrote: May a full deck of possibilities be yours.

:)

message 47: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Oh, and Paul Huson's book Mystical Origins of the Tarot: From Ancient Roots to Modern Usage is excellent, and happily, historically accurate too.

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara Nell wrote: "Another hare - the Queen of Swords is accompanied by one. :)

If you upload the photos to somewhere like Flickr or Photobucket you can then copy the code to display them here. It's the a href=" cod..."

I'm going to have to take a closer look at this deck! The images are lovely.

Thanks for the tip about photos. I'm used to just uploading them from my computer directly, and thought that's what I did with the deer photos. I'll figure it out.

message 49: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 32 comments Old-Barbarossa wrote: "Folks, what do you use the cards for?

For me, I primarily use my Tarot of Gemstones and Crystals deck for spell casting. My others, among them the Shakespearean Tarot, the Shapeshifter Tarot, and the Goddess Tarot, I mainly collected for their themes and their beautiful artwork.

message 50: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1676 comments Sara wrote: "Nell wrote: "Thanks for the tip about photos. I'm used to just uploading them from my computer directly, and thought that's what I did with the deer photos. I'll figure it out. "

Sara, it works directly from your computer for the group gallery, but (unless I'm mistaken), outside storage is needed to place an image in a post.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides (other topics)
The Greenwood Tarot (other topics)
The Celtic Shaman's Pack: Exploring the Inner Worlds (other topics)
The Gill Tarot (other topics)
The Tarot of Prague Kit: A Tarot Deck and Book Based on the Art and Architecture of the "Magic City" (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Will Worthington (other topics)
Michael Dummett (other topics)
Joan Bunning (other topics)
Dusty White (other topics)