Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) Ashfall discussion

Similar novels?

Comments (showing 1-24)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

Teresa Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. Written in the early days of the cold war, so the story line is a bit dated, but starts before a nuclear event and carries through the survival of a small community in Florida.

David Estes The author of Ashfall, Mike Mullin, is visiting my YA group from Jan 13-19 to answer all YOUR questions! And if you ask a question, you'll be automatically entered in a giveaway to WIN a SIGNED ARC of Sunrise, the third book in the Ashfall trilogy, which doesn't come out until March!! Here's the link and enjoy!!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Traci Escher I am also really interested in how things fall apart. My favorite series in this particular genre is The Carbon Diaries 2015 & 2017.

Charlotte Snyder Janny wrote: "I was wondering if there are any other novels that have the whole theme of the apocalypse/dystopia gradually unfolding itself in front of the characters, and they are left to try and adjust to this..."

Also try Slow Apocalypse by John Varley.

Donna Schwartz Oliver wrote: "This is my favorite

Earth Abides: George R. Stewart"

Thanks for the reminder about this wonderful book. I haven't read it for years, but will put it back on my to-read list.

message 19: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma Ashes

Oliver Optic This is my favorite

Earth Abides: George R. Stewart

Madea Last Survivors series (amazing)
Dark Inside series (Rage Within is #2)
Ashes (and Shadows is #2)

Madea Angela wrote: "The Susan Beth Pfeffer's series (Last Survivors)..
Book 1: Life As We Knew It
Book 2: The Dead and Gone
Book 3: This World We Live In
= Phenomenal! I wish there was a fourth book."

there is a fourth book coming out now! I know the author said she was done, but now the fourth one is currently in the making, can't remember the title, but due out this summer? i think!! Yes, i loved this series too!

message 15: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Oliver wrote: "You might try two older books by John Christopher, 'The Death of Grass' and The World in Winter'."

Thanks!

Oliver Optic You might try two older books by John Christopher, 'The Death of Grass' and The World in Winter'.

message 13: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Michael wrote: "Angela wrote: "The Susan Beth Pfeffer's series (Last Survivors)..
..."

REALLY??? I really loved that series...now I'm excited!

Michael Gilmore Angela wrote: "The Susan Beth Pfeffer's series (Last Survivors)..

there is a fourth book coming soon.

Angela Perry The Susan Beth Pfeffer's series (Last Survivors)..
= Phenomenal! I wish there was a fourth book.

message 10: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Mullin You could try Susan Beth Pfeffer's series--it starts with Life as We Knew It.

Sherry The book "Z for Zachariah" was like this and very good. I read it years ago. My kids liked it too.

Heather I've also heard that the Renewal series by JF Perkins is really good. There are 10 shorter books that cost $0.99 each for kindle. Might be worth looking into also?

Heather The book "One Second After" is the story of what happens after an EMP strike comes against the US. It has a couple of grammar errors and the occasional swearing but is exactly what you are looking for I think. A scary look at how unprepared we are for something like that!
I'll have to check out a few of these other recommendations too! Good luck

Nancy Martin Janny wrote: "I was wondering if there are any other novels that have the whole theme of the apocalypse/dystopia gradually unfolding itself in front of the characters, and they are left to try and adjust to this..."

TRY "DUST" BY CHARLES PELLIGRINO...TRULY TERRIFYING UNFOLDING OF ECO-COLLAPSE

Elena The Knife of Never Letting Go

Wendy Dark Inside by Jeyn Robert--it's paranormal YA, but still really good.

Selena Lang Best one of the type where the disaster hasnt happened yet is book one of the Emberverse - Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling. Its an excellent book of this type - although I did not like book 2 and have never gone further in the series this first book feels like a stand alone novel in itself so can be read that way. And it was an excellent book. Give it a try.

message 2: by L.S. (new)

L.S. Murphy If you like Sci-Fi mixed with dystopian, I'd recommend Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth RevisThe plot shows the unfolding of a society on a space ship. It's a good read, although it takes a bit to get into it.

Janny I was wondering if there are any other novels that have the whole theme of the apocalypse/dystopia gradually unfolding itself in front of the characters, and they are left to try and adjust to this new situation by themselves.

Most dystopia-centered novels start off with the world already used to the disaster that has happened, but I'd be interested in a book where the apocalyptic situation hasn't happened yet. If that makes any sense.

And thanks in advance for any suggestions!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Ashfall (other topics)
Across the Universe (other topics)
Life As We Knew It (other topics)