War and Peace War and Peace discussion

Lets read War & Peace...

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mathis (last edited Mar 05, 2012 11:41PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mathis If you want a reading buddy for War & Peace, join my book club called "Big fat books" on goodreads. Lets tackle this beast and have a great discussion. Start date will be April 1.

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha I'd like to join! I have read War & Peace, but would like to read again.

message 3: by Mathis (last edited Mar 06, 2012 09:28PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mathis Great! Glad to have you on board.

Well, here's the link below where you could join the group. We won't be starting until
April 1.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/6...

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha Thank you. I'll hopefully be done with Moby Dick by then.

Helen I read this book over 30 years ago during a holiday to Italy in mid-winter. Found it hard going at first but once I got the feel of the characters it developed into the most amazing read. I'm up for reading it again (though it might prevent me from reaching my Goodreads challenge of 100 books this year!)

Mauro I read it last summer, it was great. I'm now with Anna and I'm enjoying it even more (but maybe just because of the moment). Good luck!
(I took a look to your group and have discovered "A suitable boy", is it really good? Seems good at least, for those not afraid of huge "bricks")

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha I just bought Anna and am excited to read this. I heard she gets your ire up!

Heidi I just read this last year as part of a reading challenge on another website or I would totally join. I was inspired to join the Big Fat Books group, I'll keep an eye out for your other group reads! I just started "Demons," which I'm hoping is as good as "Crime and Punishment," my all-time favorite Russian novel so far.

Mathis Mauro wrote: "I read it last summer, it was great. I'm now with Anna and I'm enjoying it even more (but maybe just because of the moment). Good luck!
(I took a look to your group and have discovered "A suitable ..."

I'm half way through A Suitable Boy, and rather enjoying it. The writing is eloquent and smooth. Definitely worth a read.

message 10: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian War and Peace has 366 chapters (in certain editions). 2012 has 366 days. So I am reading it a chapter a day. As are other people. Thus far it is proving to be the greatest book ever.

message 11: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth I actually read this book when I was 12 yrs old. I think I need to go back and read it as an adult and see if I still think it's one of the best books I've ever read.

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha Ian wrote: "War and Peace has 366 chapters (in certain editions). 2012 has 366 days. So I am reading it a chapter a day. As are other people. Thus far it is proving to be the greatest book ever."

I agree, I am enjoying it so much! What chapter are you reading now?

message 13: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Book 10 Chapter 4. It is one of the two best chapters of the book so far.

If you are reading it a chapter a day this year and are not a mentalist or a troll then come and join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/31719...

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha Thank you for the information. I think I am behind you guys. My version is the 3-Volume set -- 4 Books. I am just finishing the 1st Volume. But I like the "read-a chapter-a-day" idea. That should move me along a little faster.

Hussam Ali Well, I don't think that war and peace is as monstrous as many believe. I've finished reading it last month and it proved to be very readable. the characters are distinct and so you can easily distinguish them after a while. Yes, the book is a masterpiece, even though Tolstoy sometimes get carried away with his own moral and philosophical convictions. To those who are attempting to read it, I guess the notion of 1 chapter a day isn't very good idea, because you tend to lose track of the events, instead just keep reading through the chapters until you feel that you've reached a reasonable stopping point or ultimately tired, then you can stop.

message 16: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Horses for courses... the chapter a day thing was a bit confusing at first (for a week or so), as it is hard to figure out which characters are the important ones, but then you get into the swing of it. The Faceboko group was good for "Who is this Dolokhov guy again?" questions.

message 17: by Martha (last edited Aug 13, 2012 05:33AM) (new)

Martha Yes, that is what I am doing. I read through an event then put it down for a little while and read something else. This is a very enjoyable read, just long, but in a way I never want it to end. I feel like I am part of the family and can't wait for the next "letter from home." You are right, following the characters is not difficult at all. There is enough distinction.

message 18: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian I am having my first wobbles with this book now, however - I find Tolstoy's historical musings a bit tiresome.

message 19: by Martha (new)

Martha I've heard there are some "slow" parts. I don't think I have quite reached them yet. I'm at the start of the hunt with Nicholas, & I am not crazy about hunts, so I am yawning just a tiny bit.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Good luck folks xxxx

message 21: by B.N. (new) - rated it 5 stars

B.N. Peacock I read this in high school years ago because I wanted to and had no problems with it. It is still my favorite historical novel about this period. I've also heard it said that if you want to write a novel, read War and Peace because it has it all. I heartily agree! For those having some initial problems, hang in there. It's worth it.

message 22: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Martha - no fan of hunts either, but that sequence ends with one of the book's great chapters - the visit to "Uncle" and Natasha's dance.

message 23: by Martha (new)

Martha I agree! I spoke too soon. It was a wonderful chapter -- yes, visiting the Uncle was great!! You could feel Natasha's euphoria and contentment perfectly.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

War and Peace (other topics)