Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

Member's Reading List > Erin's Many Challenges 2012

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (ErinPaperbackstash) SO MANY CHALLENGES...So Little Time.

Not overdone by overdoing the books read, but overdone in that I've become addicted to challenges! I didn't finish last year as I started toward the end of the year and didn't read much at the beginning. This year I'm determined to finish 100 books and also a variety of challenges in different genres all crossing together. I also keep track on my book blog in progress but figured it'd be fun to have a special place on Goodreads as well. Going to create a post for each challenge theme. Some won't be ambitious and the books will be ever changing, as my to be read pile is over 600!

message 2: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited Jun 11, 2012 03:05PM) (new)

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (ErinPaperbackstash) For the GOODREADS READING CHALLENGE, I'm going to read 100 books this year (at least.) I've read a few odds and ends I didn't count as they were short stories, picture books, etc.

So far:

1. Alices Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll - Took me awhile to get through, quite stuffy! January 5th
2. Without Knowing Why by Jessica Steele - Jan. 9th
3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - Jan. 20th
4. Beware False Prophets (Ministry is Murder Book 3) by Emilie Richards - Feb 11
5. A touch of death (Hard Case Crime #17) by Charles Williams - Jan. 30th
6. Bust (Hard Case 20) - by Ken Bruen - Jan. 6th
7. Cirque De Freak: A living Nightmare - Feb 13th
8. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Jan. 28th
9. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead Feb
10. Cirque De Freak: The Vampire's Assistant Feb 14
11. Cirque De Freak: Tunnel of BloodMarch
12. Forever - Judy Blume March
13. Superfudge - Judy Blume - March 3
14. Wifey - Judy Blume Feb
15. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - Feb 5th
16. The Wrong Kind of Man by Rosemary Hammond- Feb
17. A Little Moonlight by Betty Neals - Feb 27th
18. Grandpa's Monster Movies by A.G. Cascone - March 1
19. Claimed by Shadow by Karen Chance - Feb 16th
20. Stephen Lives! - Anne Puryear March
21. Chick with a Charm by Vicki Lewis ThompsonMarch
22. Making Faces by Kevin AucoinMarch
23. Like a Charm by Candace Havens
24. Beware the Snowman by RL Stine
25. Little Magic Shop of horrors by AG Cascone
26. The Freakshow by Bryan Smith
27. Crossfire Trail by Louis L'Amour
28. A Gift of Magic by Lois Duncan
29. Three Act Tragedy - Agatha Christie
30. Murder after hours - Agatha Christie
31. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
32. Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison
33. The Good, The Bad, and the Undead - Kim Harrison
34. Every which way but dead - Kim Harrison
35. A fistful of Charms - Kim Harrison
36. For a few demons more - Kim Harrison
37. The outlaw demon wails - Kim Harrison
38. You can't scare me - RL Stine
39. Animal Farm by George Orwell
40. Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison
41. Pale Demon by Kim Harrison
42. A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison
43. White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison
44. Monkey Shines by Michael Stewart
45. Soulless by Gail Carriger
46. Through the Veil by Shiloh Walker
47. Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
48. Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane
49. Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews
50. Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
51. Grave with by Kalayna Price
52. Grave Magic by Kalayna Price
53. Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews
54. Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane
55. Watchers by Dean Koontz
56. City of Ghosts by Stacia Kane
57. The Remains of the Dead by Wendy Roberts
58. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

message 3: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited Jun 11, 2012 03:02PM) (new)

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (ErinPaperbackstash)

Why I'm doing the challenge: I did this challenge last year as well. I LOVE series of books! Whether Urban Fantasy, mysteries, horror, drama, it doesn't matter. I have many series to begin. Several to-be-reads are continuations of series so those sadly won't count for this challenge. I actually had more beginnings of series last year but read most of those.

Source - : From A Few More Reading Challenges

1. Cirque De Freak: A living Nightmare
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
3. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
4. Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison
5. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
6. The Remains of the Dead by Wendy Roberts
7. Grave witch by Kalayna Price
8. Soulless by Gail Carriger
9. Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

message 4: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited Apr 02, 2012 09:02AM) (new)

Why I'm doing the challenge:
I have some YA to catch up with and more I want to get into. Some of my YA will be from a younger than normal age group as they're sitting there "to-be-read"

Source - : From the Eclectic Bookshelf

[image error]

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. Cirque De Freak: A Living Nightmare
3. Cirque De Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
4. Cirque De Freak: Tunnel of Blood
5. Vampire Academy 1 - Richelle Mead
6. Forever - Judy Blume
7. Superfudge - Judy Blume
8. Little Magic Shop of Horrors by A.G. Cascone (YA/kids)
9. The Haunted School (Goosebumps 59) (YA/Kids)
10. The Curse of the Mummys Tomb (Goosebumps 5)
11. Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery, #1) - Kim Harrison
12. Thirst (Ava Delaney, #1) - Claire Farrell
13. Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) - Amanda Hocking
14. Gift of Magic by Lois Duncan

message 5: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited Mar 21, 2012 07:09AM) (new)

Why I'm doing the challenge: Because, simply, I've always loved Judy Blume. Have a few of her young adults and one adult to read this year. There are many I wish to re-read from youth but need to hunt them down again. I accidentally stumbled onto this one and was delighted. The list won't be long as I have read most of the ones I own and don't have any more right now.

Source - : Quirky Girls Read

1. Forever
2. Wifey
3. Superfudge

Hopefully can gather more books that the above... Did some of hers last year at the end also.

message 6: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited Apr 02, 2012 09:03AM) (new)

Why I'm doing the challenge: Usually I do the mixed of horror and urban fantasy but I adored this graphic, have a lot of horror and thrillers to read, so figured it should have it's own category.

Source - : Sweeping Me

The levels are -

Levels:
01-10 – Carousel
11-20 – Ferris Wheel
21-30 – Roller Coaster
31-40 – Fortune Teller
41-50 – Haunted House Master

I plan to be Ferris Wheel

1. Freakshow by Bryan Smith

message 7: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited May 04, 2012 08:17AM) (new)

Why I'm doing the challenge: I've always wanted to read the classics I've missed. There's several of them, especially Dickens

Source - : Thoughts At One In The Morning

[image error]

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
1984 by George Orwell
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Abandoned, couldn't read
Animal Farm by George Orwell - Read in April

[image error]

message 8: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited Jun 11, 2012 11:00AM) (new)

I did this same challenge last year. I'm mainly focusing on the Urban fantasy part for this challenge, as it's my favorite genre.

1. Claimed by Shadows by Karen Chance (Cassandra Palmer, Book 2)
2. The Vampire Academy by Rachel Mere
3. Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison
4. The Good, The Bad, and the Undead - Kim Harrison
5. Every which way but dead - Kim Harrison
6. A fistful of Charms - Kim Harrison
7. For a few demons more - Kim Harrison
8. The outlaw demon wails - Kim Harrison
9 Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison
10 White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison
11 A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison
12 Pale Demon by Kim Harrison
13 Soulless by Gail Carriger
14 Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
15 Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane
16 Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews
17 Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
18 Grave Witch by Kaylayna Price
19 Grave Dance by Kaylayna Price
20 Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews
21 Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane
22 City of Ghosts by Stacia Kane
23 Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

message 9: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited Jun 11, 2012 03:00PM) (new)

Why I'm doing the challenge: I love cozy mysteries but really didn't get a chance to read many last year. Thanks to addictive dollar store buys I have many more to read again. Most are from series I haven't read, and they're out of order to a point.

I'm putting all mysteries in the challenge, not just "strictly cozies"

Source - : Socrates' Book Reviews

1. Beware False Prophets (Ministry is Murder Book 3) by Emilie Richards
2. A touch of death (Hard Case Crime #17) by Charles Williams
3. Bust (Hard Case 20) - by Ken Bruen
4. Three Act Tragedy - Agatha Christie
5. Murder after hours - Agatha Christie
6. The Remains of the dead by Wendy Roberts

Why I'm doing the challenge: Because I need a romance category too, of course. I have over 100 Romance reads to read. I've also been in a big Harlequin mood this year and those are fast reads.

MY PROGRESS:

1. Without knowing why by Jessica Steele
2. The Wrong Kind of Man by Rosemary Hammond
3. A Little Moonlight by Betty Neals

*Will not listed planned reads, there are too many that I can casually choose from. Will be reading the romance section spontaneously.*

Why I'm doing the challenge: I have been wanting to read the Narnia series for years and finally nabbed most of the collection in 2011. I will read them in order and still have a few to buy.

Source - : Rikki's Teleidoscope

The magician’s nephew
The lion, the witch and the wardrobe
The horse and his boy
Prince Caspian: The return to Narnia
The voyage of the Dawn Treader
The silver chair
The last battle

This is just a bonus challenge - This challenge was inspired by C.S. Lewis' famous words, "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."

Besides, how can you resist these cute levels?

2 Books - Chamomile Lover
4 Books - Berry Tea Devotee
6 Books - Earl Grey Aficionado (this will be the one I'll try)
8 or more Books - Sencha Connoisseur

This is for books that are more than 700 pages. The list of this likely won't be that long!

Why I'm doing the challenge: I don't have many zombie books in my diet, but a few to read still. I try to do as many challenges from Book Chick City as I can, and I couldn't resist this adorable graphic. Have them to read and want to read soon, so why not? :)

Source - : Book Chick City

message 14: by Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (last edited Jun 11, 2012 03:06PM) (new)

Source - Book Garden

3 Books - Odd Thomas' Mailman
6 Books - Odd Thomas' Neighbor (this will be the one I'm settling for)
9 Books - Odd Thomas' Best Friend
12 Books or more - Odd Thomas' Stalker

Why I'm doing the challenge: One of my best friends in the world, John Gugie, died in November, 2011, days before his birthday. He lived to be almost 35 years old with severe muscular duchene dystrophy.

He outlived many of his condition, as most die in their early 20s or before. He lived a very hard life and slept nightly on a breathing machine. He had a collapsed lung in his early twenties and very brittle bones (Just moving him from one wheelchair broke his leg in two places last year). He died suddenly when they were drawing fluid from a lung in the hospital and none of us expected it, he thought it was another routine thing. All of his friends, myself included, were heartbroken.

He lived his life on the computer. He was genuinely the most intelligent person I've ever met, loved to debate, and earned a little extra money writing online articles for a variety of sources. He had a college degree despite his severe disability. Sadly he was unable to really work, as he could not move his legs, his arms, or his hands really. He used a voice-generated keyboard. He loved to read and listened to audiobooks. He had to wait for them to come out on most of the free libraries for the disabled. His favorite author was always Dean Koontz! He loved his writing style and his love for his dog Trixie.

Years ago he sent me an Edgar Allen Poe book which he wanted me to read on an audio tape for him and send back so he could hear me reading it, but I never got around to it and still regret that :( He also sent me a box filled with his Dean Koontz novels he couldn't hold anymore. As I procrastinate, there are many still unread. I read one last year and he commented on my status, FINALLY! :)

Since I have many of the author to read, and since my best friend has died, I want to do this challenge for him this year. I know he is dead and will not know, but it makes me feel closer to him since I will never talk to him again, and reading was one of the things we shared. I also want to read the Edgar Allen Poe book. Both of the authors mean much more to me now.

1. Watchers

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1627 comments The last challenge is very sweet. He sounded like an awesome friend! Good luck in your endeavor. I'm sure he is cheering you on. :)

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (ErinPaperbackstash) Rachel wrote: "The last challenge is very sweet. He sounded like an awesome friend! Good luck in your endeavor. I'm sure he is cheering you on. :)"

Thanks Rachel :)

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (ErinPaperbackstash) Just read the Kim Harrison Hollows series - it was so addictive I was able to read the two series in a few weeks (had to wait for a shipment for a week).

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading* (ErinPaperbackstash) Despite reading fifty books so far this year for the challenge, my updated To Be Read shelf is now displaying 777 books. Still many years of reading to go, but it's likely never to get caught up on since I'll keep adding books. Ah, the life of a reader.

Acquired a lot of new bookmarks lately - went to a convention this weekend and picked up an adorable zombie bookmark from an artist, and a bunch of free promotional ones. I include these in books I send for swaps. Also got a 3-d wolf bookmark that reminds me of John at the bookstore yesterday, as well as a Gone With the wind bookmark for only $1.00 clearance. Couldn't resist at that price.

Currently on the lookout for a new reading tote bag that's neutral in color - prefer something with a reading design. The others I have don't quite fit the project. Going to attach buttons and possibly some badges later. Picked up a massive amount of buttons for this project at the convention this weekend.

And, finally, eagerly awaiting the two bookstamps I had made from Asspocket productions.

Here's the wolf bookmark - although it looks much better in person and has a thick, dark tassle:

description

Here are the proofs. These will be two different stamps and not have the writing at the bottom, but were sent for review before sending:

unread topics | mark unread