Romance Audiobooks discussion

What Are You Listening To? > March Romance Listen & 50 Shades Discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 262) (262 new)    post a comment »

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 213 comments hope it is okay.....a thread had not been started for March so I added it....

Started Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carrand am loving it so far...

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1529 comments Mod
Thanks Nicole for starting this thread! Always feel free to do so, please!

I'm listening to Susan Elizabeth Phillips' Fancy Pants. Wow, this one is different.

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "hope it is okay.....a thread had not been started for March ..."

Nicole, that's a great book. Hope you enjoy.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 213 comments Brittany B. wrote: "Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "hope it is okay.....a thread had not been started for March ..."

Nicole, that's a great book. Hope you enjoy."

I think I am already hooked on the series....

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Thanks Nicole for starting this thread! Always feel free to do so,

I like different with SEP. what do you mean by different?
How was Frisco's Kid?

message 6: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Mar 06, 2012 11:57AM) (new)

Brittany B. wrote: "Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Thanks Nicole for starting this thread! Always feel free to do so,

How was Frisco's Kid?"

Frisco's Kid was okay. I think many would find it entertaining but it was a little too subdued for me.

Fancy Pants is long (almost 16 hours), stretches over years and years, and breaks a lot of today's supposed romance rules. I've decided to write a review as this one packs a whollop at one minute and frustrates me the next. Published in 1989, it shows its age. I haven't finished so my thoughts are still in a jumble.

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Brittany B. wrote: "Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Thanks Nicole for starting this thread! Always feel free to do so,

How was Frisco's Kid?"
..."

Thanks. Sounds like I'll wait for March Reviews on your column...

paula (paula_) | 211 comments Recently finished The Darkest Seduction. It wasn't my favorite of the series, but still enjoyed it. Also just listened to One Dance with a Duke, which I really liked. Now starting Highlander Untamed.

Dee (austhokie) | 660 comments i think Frisco's Kid came out in the early 1990's maybe - I remember reading it in high school and it had been out for a while then (yeah, i'm that young...lol!) - I liked that series, but like her T/S ones more

Krissie | 202 comments I'm listening to In Bed with the Devil by Lorraine Heath and loving it! And there are a bunch more, so I'm a happy camper. Plus, they have a new Alpha and Omega book by Patricia Briggs up too. I'm on the fence about Rainshadow Road. I adore Lisa Kleypas, both historical and contemporary, but really hated Christmas at Whatever ... the first part of the series.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 213 comments Finished Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carrlast night....loved it! Started Fair Game (Alpha & Omega #3) by Patricia Briggsand it is great so far...

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Reading Cold As Ice. It's really great. I wish I had access to more of her books in audio. Ill devour these in a week.
Had trouble sleeping, so decided to give Pleasure Unbound a second chance and put it on to fall asleep. LOVE IT. I think it's a little like the Night Huntress meets BDB (not as intense). High Recommend for both.

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 636 comments Mod
I've also started Fair Game - I love Patricia Briggs period but especially in this series, it must be that the romance is more central in it.

Anybody have further suggestions to Holter Graham narrated books with at least a hint of romance in them, I love his voice.

I've had Pleasure Unbound on my TBR forever Brittany - one of these days I'll pull it off. :)

Dee (austhokie) | 660 comments looks like Holter Graham has done a bit of everything - he has some of the Dark-Hunter books to his credit, but I've never listened to him. I did see that he narrated The Art of Fielding - i'm currently reading it and enjoying it - there is from what i've seen a potential for some romance between 2 of the characters

Diana N Neal (dnneal) | 50 comments I am relistening to one of my favorites: Archangel's Kiss by Nalini Singh. Narrated by Justine Eyre, it is one of the few books that I have found where the audio didn't negatively impact my feelings of the print version.

Brenda & Brittany B.: in regards to Pleasure Unbound--warning! Do not listen to this at work! Woohooo, buddy. :)

Dee (austhokie) | 660 comments haha Diana!! I term that, the book gave me squirmies and not a work safe book :)

message 17: by Brenda (last edited Mar 09, 2012 09:09AM) (new)

Thanks Dee, I've yet to try out the Dark Hunter books so I'll have to get my HG fix via Brigg's for now I guess.

And thanks for the warning about Pleasure Unbound, doesn't sound like one for a family trip either. ;)

Whoop's posted instead of adding the book cover ... here it is Angels' Flight (Angels' Pawn #0.5, Angels' Judgment #1.5, Angel's Wolf #4.5, Angels' Dance #4.75) by Nalini Singh

Last night I read Angel's Dance from Angels' Flight - (such a gorgeous cover) and I'm really looking forward to hearing Justine Eyre with Galen and Jessamy's story when it comes out in May.

It will be a treat to have all the novellas in audio together.

Carrie | 304 comments In March I've listened to:
Faking It (Dempseys #2) by Jennifer Crusie (very fun!), Late for the Wedding (Lake/March, # 3) by Amanda Quick (enjoyable, my favorite of the trilogy), and I just finished
Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11) by Lois McMaster Bujold (I can't say enough good things about this book--5 stars and can't wait for more).

message 19: by Brittany B. (last edited Mar 09, 2012 08:53AM) (new)

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Lol. To all of you about Pleasure Unbound.
Brenda, go to the beach. While lying under an umbrella (maybe sunning your legs), drinking a peach coloda, wearing a cute straw hat (save your face from the sun) and fashionably large dark glasses, THEN start listening to Pleasure Unbound...
Ok that's my fantasy, but still good advice. :)

This month is already fun at SoA. With the new releases scheduled, I am quite happy to be a member of this group. Going to be a treat to read what everybody's up to!

Wannaliveondessertisle | 11 comments I know this is off topic....but...I would like to start using audible.com. Can u help me u get started using it...pleaseeeee. Ty

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 213 comments Wannaliveondessertisle wrote: "I know this is off topic....but...I would like to start using audible.com. Can u help me u get started using it...pleaseeeee. Ty"

What do you need help with? If you don't already have an account you can sign up for a 30 day free trial through amazon and get 2 free book....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/audible/sign... then it is just deciding what to get first ;-)

message 22: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Mar 10, 2012 06:18PM) (new)

Wannaliveondessertisle wrote: "I know this is off topic....but...I would like to start using audible.com. Can u help me u get started using it...pleaseeeee. Ty"

I agree with Nichole that the easiest way is to start with the 30 day free trial. Are you concerned about getting it to your listening device?

Do you want a recommendation for your first book? If so, give us a few of your favorites in print and we'll provide recommendations.

Carrie | 304 comments I finished Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11) by Lois McMaster Bujold and started Montana Sky by Nora Roberts, which I bought recently in an audible sale.

Wannaliveondessertisle | 11 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Wannaliveondessertisle wrote: "I know this is off topic....but...I would like to start using audible.com. Can u help me u get started using it...pleaseeeee. Ty"

I agree with Nichole that the easie..."

Welllll...I have loved listening to the JD Robb In Death series, Karen Marie Moning Highland series and Fever series, Diana Gabaldon Highlander series and SEP series. So I am a diversified listener. Its just that I am going on a long car trip with 3 other people and want to be able to tune them out...lol. I have an HTC EVO that i want to use. I just see that a lot of you use Audible and wanted recommendations...I did see that I can have a free month also. Thanks in advance for all of ur help and thoughts!

Kalena (KalenaV) | 37 comments I finally finished A Breath of Snow and Ashes, as well as Touch of Power (Healer, #1) by Maria V. Snyder, Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth, and One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1) by Tessa Dare. Now I am listening to How to Marry a Duke by Vicky Dreiling.
I go through audiobooks so fast it is hard to find new ones!

paula (paula_) | 211 comments Just finished listening to In Bed with a Highlander & really enjoyed it (although I was a little throw off by the narrator's accent). I had a deja vu moment toward the beginning when I realized that I had actually read the book years ago. If you like Garwood's writing, you will probably like this one. :)

Not sure what's up next.

Carrie | 304 comments I'm listening to What Happens in London which I bought at a recent Audible sale. It's cute, and I'm happy to say Rosalyn Landor's narration on this is very pleasing. It's odd how different I've found her narration on different books. But this is my second good experience, so it brings her back to the list of narrators I'm willing to buy.

Dee (austhokie) | 660 comments planning on starting Sizzle and Burn on the way home - different narrator to the last book in the series - and hopefully much better

message 29: by Brittany B. (last edited Mar 15, 2012 06:36PM) (new)

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Hi SoA! Ive been in a muddled haze of paranormal romance since I read Pleasure Unbound. I'm just starting to recover.

Currently listening to book 4 of the Midnight Breed series, Midnight Rising. While I have mixed feelings about the narrator, I'm pleased in the continuity-- Same narrator for the series at least up to book 5.

I'm eagerly awaiting the audio release of No Rest for the Wicked next week and then finally The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie.

Next books to on my wishlist for audio version: Lord of Scoundrels and Flowers from the Storm.

Susinok | 127 comments I gave up halfway through Good Girls Don't by Victoria Dahl. I just wasn't feeling it. I think the heroine was a bit too immature. So was her younger brother. I'm old and crotchety and have little tolerance for 20-somethings shenannigans, hehe.

Good Girls Don't (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #1) by Victoria Dahl

Dee (austhokie) | 660 comments i liked GGD, but I read it - I don't know if I could have listened to it

message 32: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Mar 16, 2012 09:22PM) (new)

I'm slowly listening to my first Robyn Carr book, Virgin River. It's good but not my type I guess. Too tame. Hero is verryyyy nice. I wanted a realistic book and that is why I chose it. Once again - it's good. Just not good enough to inspire me to listen to another. Maybe I'm hooked on non-realistic books?? Realistic books were once my favorites.

Ali-ef | 34 comments Virgin River didn't do it for me either. I had high hopes, based on reviews, and liked the narration. Story just didn't grab me and I'm not so excited about the series either.

Alief wrote: "Virgin River didn't do it for me either. I had high hopes, based on reviews, and liked the narration. Story just didn't grab me and I'm not so excited about the series either."

Good to hear it's not just me!

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Alief wrote: "Virgin River didn't do it for me either. I had high hopes, based on reviews, and liked the narration. Story just didn't grab me and I'm not so excited about the series either.

I agree. I liked the first book. At least Jack was a hottie. But if you think the 'nice guy' thing is too much in the first book, you'll really dislike part 2. Preacher (the husky cook with a shaved head) tries to romance a single mom. He was WAY too nice for me. (I think the narrator sounds too nice as well. Lol.)

I'm starting Morning Glory this weekend. I hope it isn't too tame.

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments ***Linda Howard fans: I was able to buy Linda Howard's unabridged Open Season on audible.
Up till recently, it's only been available abridged. If you all talked about this, I'm sorry to repeat it. I'm way over excited. !!!:) ❤

Diana (Saschakeet) | 122 comments A new unabridged version of Open Season popped up yesterday at Audible from Simon and Schuster Audio. Guess they're going to surprise us with the long-anticipated Mr Perfect.

***Linda Howard fans: I was able to buy Linda Howard's unabridged Open Season on audible.

Last week it was Karen Robard's unabridged To Trust a Stranger (another long time HTF) that popped up from Simon and Schuster and now Open Season.

So my hopes remain high for Mr Perfect to come soon. :)

Carrie | 304 comments Brenda wrote: "***Linda Howard fans: I was able to buy Linda Howard's unabridged Open Season on audible.

Last week it was Karen Robard's unabridged To Trust a Stranger (another long time HTF) that popped up fro..."

I wonder if we'll ever get One Summer? I keep hearing wonderful things about that audiobook, but the only copy my library had disappeared last year.

Carrie - I think we can find a copy for you to borrow.

Carrie | 304 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Carrie - I think we can find a copy for you to borrow."

That would be great! Thank you.

Carrie | 304 comments Brenda wrote:
Last week it was Karen Robard's unabridged To Trust a Stranger (another long time HTF) that popped up fro..."

BTW- is To Trust a Stranger one you would recommend?

Carolyn F. | 114 comments I'm listening to The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd, loving it so far.

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I'm listening to The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd, loving it so far."

Sounds like a good one Carolyn. Let us know if you like it.

And ditto on Carrie's question. I bought To Trust a Stranger a few days ago, but I realize I've never heard anything about it.

message 45: by Brenda (last edited Mar 17, 2012 01:24PM) (new)

I wonder if we'll ever get One Summer?

The audiobook of One Summer was produced by Chivers - lets hope they follow Simon and Schuster's lead in releasing the "gold" in their vaults through Audible someday soon.

To Trust a Stranger by Roabard's rings no bells for me. Anybody else recall if it was a good story?

Laura Hicks as a narrator? She defines her character voices, though men are only a change in tone, not deep or particularly manly outside of their attitudes. She also catches the vibe of a story well, portraying the tension, anger, humor etc as she narrates, which are positives to me.

message 46: by Brenda (last edited Mar 17, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

Just finished listening to In Bed with a Highlander & really enjoyed it (although I was a little thrown off by the narrator's accent).

Paula thanks for the heads up with In Bed with a Highlander I hadn't realized Tantor had released their download of it early. I started it today and I'm loving the Scottish accent and somewhat husky voice she's given the heroine :) I'm nearly an hour in and just about to meet the hero ...

ETA: The narrator is Kirsten Potter, who also narrated The Spymaster's Lady.

message 47: by paula (last edited Mar 19, 2012 04:06PM) (new)

paula (paula_) | 211 comments Brenda wrote: "Just finished listening to In Bed with a Highlander & really enjoyed it (although I was a little thrown off by the narrator's accent).

Paula thanks for the heads up with [book:In Bed with a Highl..."

I think you will like it Brenda. It's a great story. I liked the narrator, but felt like the accent leaned toward Russian to me at times (could just be in my head though). :)

message 48: by paula (last edited Mar 19, 2012 04:11PM) (new)

paula (paula_) | 211 comments Just started Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison

Carrie | 304 comments I finished One Summer by Karen Robards. Thank you Lea and Brenda! It was so worth it an I plan to listen again soon. I especially liked the romance. I love romances that are honest. The getting there might be difficult, but there aren't the silly, purposeless misunderstandings thrown in by the author. All the conflicts in the relationship were understandable and believable. Very well done. Anna Fields/Kate Fleming was perfect, as usual.

Just started Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas. Rosalyn Landor is narrating, and so far I'm enjoying the book and the narration. I'm glad I decided to give Landor another try. The last two I've listened to have been quite good.

Glad you heard what all the fuss was about with One Summer Carrie. :)

Kate Fleming / Anna Fields is at her best with this one. An excellent example of a story made better by the narrators "take" on it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Virgin River (other topics)
One Dance with a Duke (other topics)
Highlander Untamed (other topics)
The Darkest Seduction (other topics)
Fair Game (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Briggs (other topics)
Barbara Delinsky (other topics)