Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) Night discussion

Night

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Corley I loved this book. As I was reading the book, I felt like I was right there with the author. I could feel his pain, anger and sorrow at every turn. Night is a true story about Elie Wiesel as a teenager living in Sighet, Transylvania. He and his family are taken as the Germans start to up root families then pack them in train cars like cattle, to be shipped to concentration camps. This is a story about survival during that time by one boy and his will to survive till the bitter end. Elie Wiesel shows his struggle to understand why God would let this kind of disaster happen to his family and other Jewish families. This book is emotional and very heart felt. It grabs you and pulls you in as the story of complete terror unfolds.

I think if I was teaching the Holocaust, this would be an excellent supplement for students to read to really understand what happened to one person and how tragic it was for him, his friends, family, neighbors, etc. He not only lost his identity and became a number, but he lost his entire family, was given orders he had to obey and was unable to do anything to help others. His sole job was to keep himself alive and wait for liberation. I think it would be essential for students to know this and read a real account of what happened to one of many people during this time.

Daisy I totally agree. This author is amazing. He takes you into the camps and you experience his every emotion and anguish. I've read about these atrocities before but have never felt the horror at such a personal level. I could not put the book down.

Rachel Dmweber wrote: "I totally agree. This author is amazing. He takes you into the camps and you experience his every emotion and anguish. I've read about these atrocities before but have never felt the horror at s..."

i agree that the author is an amazing man. this book is a heartbreaking must read.

Jean K This book is listed on our school's ELA B30 resource list and intended for weaker readers. While the writing is simple, the story is not. It works well as a supplement or as a discussion starter for writings on injustice and the strength of human will.

BubblesTheMonkey This was a really good book, well written and completely horrifying.

Karen I read "Night" decades ago and still remember it as an amazing story with wonderful writing.

Christina I like this book, but it is certainly depressing.

Travis Great book - very, very sad. The hanging of the prisoners and then forcing the Jews to walk by and view with the little boy & his slow death left a huge mark on my soul.

message 9: by Jamie (last edited Jun 18, 2012 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jamie Schoffman Wonderful book. Definitely can see why it won the Nobel. I agree that it is simplistic, but that isn't a bad thing. It doesn't have to be deep for you to understand the story and feel changed by it. Part of its beauty is its simplicity.

Mimi ❤ This book is passionate and heartbreaking. You could see the change Ellie went through physically and emotionally while enduring punishment. Wonderfully written <3

Angila I really enjoyed this book, I couldn't put it down. I just had to know what happened to Ellie in every turn of the page. I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to know about what people had gone through at that time. As you read the pages, Ellie makes you feel all the heartache and anguish that he went through.

message 12: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Nicholls Should be read by all, truly a great book

message 13: by Kylee (last edited Mar 25, 2013 08:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kylee Thomas Night is a true story about the hollocaust. Elie, the main character, and his father are taken to aushwitz. They go through so much pain and torture to survive. Everything is taken away from them, hope is all they have left and even that is slipping away. I like this book because it shows the struggle the jewish people had to go through. Everyone should read this book because it shows how good of a lifei have. The jewish people had to watch their own families die. They went through so much pain and it makes me so gratefull for what i have. Therefore, i think everyone should read Night.

message 14: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Andrews-Katz Night is actually the "middle" section of the trilogy. Dawn and Dusk make up the other two parts; one before the war and the other after accordingly. This doesn't include his Masterful autobiographies "All Rivers Run to the Sea" and the second "And the Sea is Never Full". Read those for a full account of this man's life. Just as moving.

Felix J. Nickolas Eric wrote: "Night is actually the "middle" section of the trilogy. Dawn and Dusk make up the other two parts; one before the war and the other after accordingly. This doesn't include his Masterful autobiograph..."

The three books of the triliogy in order are Night (a memoir) and the two short novels Dawn and Day which was originally published in English as The Accident. Dawn and Day both take place after the WWII.

Jean said his school has this book listed as acceptable for weak readers. I find that odd because Night is actually quite complex. Wiesel uses Old Testament scripture as a means of conveying his experiences, which gives Night a deepness that can be difficult to comprehend on many levels.

Lynsey Jean wrote: "This book is listed on our school's ELA B30 resource list and intended for weaker readers. While the writing is simple, the story is not. It works well as a supplement or as a discussion starter ..."

That's exactly why I used to have it in my curriculum for 8th graders at my last teaching assignment. They really appreciated it...I found it strange that such a dark book would be the most "popular" one amongst those students that year, but it was gratifying at the same time. Such powerful writing...it's an essential book.

Shoshi The book was retold by Wiesels wife from whatever she could read on his scripts and some of her own. To wrote about these horrible things like the Holocaust and the Nazi Terror was for many survivors of the Shoah an ordeal. He also was called from the Mossad on some inputs for the capture of Eichmann.

message 18: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Andrews-Katz WIesel has several autobiographies. NIGHT deals with STRICTLY his camp experiences. If you want a fuller account of his life (which is fascinating) try his first full: All RIvers RUn to the Sea (birth to 1960's) and the sequel "The Sea is Never Full" (1960's through present)
Excellent books

message 19: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Andrews-Katz Same here. I've had the pleasure to hear him speak in person and to have met him. (I have several of his books signed including NIGHT, and the other two bios)

Shoshi Yes, to the trilogy . Not sure about the OT. Many more books were written from survivors. But Eli Wiesels was one of the earliest accounts about the camps.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Night (other topics)