Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Superheroes Graphic Novels > Marvel vs DC vs Independents –Who publishes the best superhero comics?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 458 comments I’m curious to know what the superheroes comics fans here think of what’s being published nowadays.

Do you guys read exclusively from one company or do you read a little bit of everything?
What company do you think produces the best superheroes comics right now?

message 2: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 458 comments I've read some issues of The Boys and liked it, specially because of its dark sense of humour.

Seems to me that it's a type of humour a lot of writers try to pull-off in comics nowadays, but not that many can do it as well as Ennis.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 290 comments Hmmm...nowadays. I've pretty much given up monthly comics. I've always leaned more towards DC, historically. Pretty much washed my hands of the few Marvel titles I still enjoyed after Civil War.

Not that many of the Marvel titles aren't good, just that Marvel drifted so far from what I enjoyed about them in my younger days.

Independents tend to be hit or miss for me. They almost always stand alone. I'm one of those who likes the collective mythology of the Big 2 universes.

message 4: by P (new)

P Fosten | 24 comments Sérgio wrote: "I've read some issues of The Boys and liked it, specially because of its dark sense of humour.

Seems to me that it's a type of humour a lot of writers try to pull-off in comics nowadays, but not ..."

I had to give up on The Boys after a few issues. I've seen Garth Ennis indulge his loathing of superheroes in other places in better ways....

...Hitman, for example!

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (chezkevin) I read the first 22 issues of The Boys from a sale on comiXology. I really liked it! I'm waiting for another sale to catch up on the series (#66 was out this month I believe), but I don't think that'll be coming up any time soon. . .

From the same sale, I also got Jennifer Blood vol. 1: it's the same brand of Garth Ennis black humor from the perspective of a housewife -- very funny!

message 6: by P (last edited May 25, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

P Fosten | 24 comments NYKen wrote:

Tommy Monaghan rocks! I believe DC has re-issued the first four volumes the last couple of years. "

I think I saw vol 5 the other week. It's looking good that they'll actually get it to the end of the series.

I'm so torn on buying it in trade. I've good all the issues longboxed somewhere so I don't need them but I almost want to buy them just to send the message to DC 'More of this!'.

message 7: by Pranay (new)

Pranay | 44 comments Have always been a big Batman fan so have been leaning towards DC. Besides Batman, the new 52 arc seems to be interesting so I guess DC rules in the superhero department.
Somehow of the current trade paperbacks from Marvel I have just not picked anything (would like some recommendations though). The current Spider man track seems to be getting good word of mouth. I prefer picking the independents with unique plots and most of them are not superhero oriented.

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 16 comments I've always liked DC comics, but every once in awhile I get a marvel book or two. Both are good

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments A long, long time ago, it was Marvel all the way for me, but I stopped cold-turkey once they started having too many cross-overs and having Wolverine appear in just about every title every month, the exception being Savage Sword of Conan that I read from day 1 to it's conclusion. I then gravitated towards DC's Batman and Swamp Thing... great things were happening at the time with Moore's run and Miller's multiple takes on the Bat and his Ronin was good as well. With time I came to appreciate more of the eclectic non-superhero fare that was being offered by indies and Vertigo. I did read more superhero stuff when ABC was publishing Tom Strong, Promethea, et al, though.
These days, I'll read anything providing it received good reviews and is a bit "out of the ordinary".
So, I'll read Marvel if they put out something like Marvels or 1602. I'll read DC with stuff like Kingdom Come, Justice or The New Frontier.
I guess my biggest criteria is that it be something good, different and has a beginning, middle and end.

unread topics | mark unread