Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Harry and Ron- who was better for Hermione? ?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 89) (89 new)    post a comment »

Lauren Who do you think was better for Hermione, Harry or Ron?

Marisa I think that Ron is perfect for Hermione. At some times during the novels I thought that Harry would be a better match but then I reevaluated my decision and chose Ron instead.

Lauren I love the part in the seventh movie when Harry and Hermione dance, it's SO sweet!! :) But, yeah, definitely Ron.

message 4: by Marisa (last edited Mar 04, 2012 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marisa yeah I love that part to. It almost seems like something more will happen during that part of the movie. I almost wanted something more to happen but, then I was like "hold on! Ron will come back" haha

Naseem Saleh Harry. They're both intelligent. And they both can connect :)

Lauren Marisa wrote: "yeah I love that part to. It almost seems like something more will happen during that part of the movie. I almost wanted something more to happen but, then I was like "hold on! Ron will come back" ..."

Hahaha ikr! It's cute

Lauren Naseem wrote: "Harry. They're both intelligent. And they both can connect :)"

Yeah, true, true... but that's what's so cute about Ron and Hermione- they're different! :)

Marisa haha I know it was pretty adorable. Plus Harry is finally the same height with Hermione. haha

Kailey Harry

Naseem Saleh Lauren wrote: "Naseem wrote: "Harry. They're both intelligent. And they both can connect :)"

Yeah, true, true... but that's what's so cute about Ron and Hermione- they're different! :)"

true! Opposites attract, I guess there should've been a love triangle lol

Allen ABH Ron

Harry is to awkward to be with Hermione. Hermione needs, uhm... a man? Ron seems to fill in most of that position while Harry kinda doesn't. This whole paragraph was grammatically stupid, im sorry.

Tanvi Lauren wrote: "I love the part in the seventh movie when Harry and Hermione dance, it's SO sweet!! :) But, yeah, definitely Ron."

oh yes.. It is lovely, but somewhere I think it sends a wrong message to viewers who haven't read the books.

Tanvi Guys, I don't know whether you will agree, but Harry's and Hermione's is the purest form of friendship. Like we all have a best friend of the opposite gender that we don't want to get romantically involved with... I think courtship is best kept at bay in such relationships.

Kelly Robson I always thought Harry and Hermione would get together but I do prefer her with Ron.

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Harris I think Ron is best for Hermione. they have more fire. Also, Harry needs an incredibly strong woman. A guy like Harry (intense, a bit dark and just had a rough life) either needs to be alone or has to be with someone who won't flinch when he gets a little scary. Hermoine can be his friend, not his woman.

BubblesTheMonkey Ron. Harry was just her friend and that's it.

Lauren Tanvi wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I love the part in the seventh movie when Harry and Hermione dance, it's SO sweet!! :) But, yeah, definitely Ron."

oh yes.. It is lovely, but somewhere I think it sends a wrong me..."

That's true, but if you have read the books, it doesn't. :)

Maria Ron definitely! I sensed that they were going to be paired together since their first meeting in the train. Harry and Hermione always had a brother/sister relationship.

Michelle Knox Maria wrote: "Ron definitely! I sensed that they were going to be paired together since their first meeting in the train. Harry and Hermione always had a brother/sister relationship."

Agreed on all counts. But I think there was definitely something there considering all that she and Harry had been through and the fact that both of them had grew up as Muggles....and ther was the potential to take a different turn romanticaelly between them. But still I think Ron was always more of a factor romantically than Harry!

message 20: by Faith (last edited Feb 17, 2013 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Faith I don’t know how Harry would be with Hermione. I agree that Harry is awkward with her. But I don’t think that Ron is better for her either. I mean it’s a book , of course they should end up together , I’d be pissed off too if they hadn't. But think about it in real life. There is this guy , he’s cool and you’re friends. But you two constantly bicker , he pisses you off all the time , you have nothing in common , you don’t enjoy the things he likes , he doesn’t enjoy the things you like , yes there is a spark but he gets jealous easily and then takes his anger out on you , you cannot help but lecture him and nag all the time and he hates that. These relationships usually don’t work out in the real world. If the people are just too different , it doesn’t work out. This doesn’t mean they’re bad people or their love wasn't real , just that they weren’t right for each other. This doesn’t mean that I’m anti Ron-Hermione , I just tried to look at it realistically.

Samia Ruponti personally, I would have preferred that three of them remained just friends. I still have problem digesting that Ron- Hermione is a couple! :P

message 22: by W (last edited Mar 06, 2012 03:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

W I agree with Faith. In a book, you have somewhat limited options. Rowling couldn't have very well written the Epilogue with Hermione marrying some random Muggle that she met on vacation with her parents after the downfall of Voldemort... it just wouldn't make sense.

But her relationship with Ron doesn't seem to have a lot of qualities of successful marriages, either. They bicker, nag, and give each other the silent treatment. I'm not sure that they have common interests aside from "defeating Voldemort," which they already took care of. Ron has a lot of respect for Hermione, but she tends to seem like she's constantly exasperated by his lack of intelligence. Sure, their families would get along great, and they do have some similar values (friendship, loyalty, love conquers all, etc), but their communication isn't great (doesn't it seem like Harry's always the mediator?), and when it comes to their conflicts, they don't fight fair.

I really wish Rowling had kept the three main characters as friends, rather than trying to pair them up; they work so much better as a team of three.

JazzyCat My mom always wanted Harry and Hermione together, and for a while I agreed. But I decided that Ron is better. They balance each other out, and can't two people be REALLY good friends and not be together?
So I pick Ron.
But I don't know who should be with Harry. Not Ginny, they didn't have really any love.

Samantha The Escapist I loved Harry/Ginny ! I don't know why, but it completely clicked for me. Though I COMPLETELY disagree with Lisa's implication that Hermione flinches when things get scary? I think that's what she was saying, but Hermione is badass!

Now to Wendy and Faith I mostly agree with all your points, but Rowling makes a point to also include a lot of time (particularly in the last one) they spend together successfully without bickering which causes Harry to feel left out.

I think they also made it clear in this book that Ron worked through his demons with the destruction of the Horcrux, not that anyone can fix their flaws so easily BUT all the turmoil left over from the previous 7 years certainly got cleared up. It was the moment Ron properly became a man because he faced up to his childhood insecurities. Plus at this point the only reason Ron's jealousy is running rampant is because he doesn't know how Hermione feels and doesn't believe she could love him, just because he was insecurely jealous of Harry doesn't mean he'll be a jealous husband, and he certainly never had a problem with jealousy of Hermione's intelligence.

Also keep in mind that most couples in the real world aren't facing death every year and then every other day like in the last book. Their circumstances are serious, and a big deal. Would you watch the Walking Dead and say Rick and Lori aren't compatible because they fight every day? No, because every day they face a hoard of zombies that want to eat their faces.

Finally my last point is that these situations kept coming up because no one had yet managed to admit they loved each other. Each was trying to play coy with the other which lead to accidentally hurt feelings. (though admittedly that does go towards the "bad communication" point, but they are kids)

I think the implication is that after everything clears up Ron and Hermione manage to pursue a regular relationship based on the FINALLY spoken and no-longer-secret affection they have for each other, reducing the bickering to gentle teasing. And I'm happy to believe in it, sure their marriage will likely be a slightly tumultuous one and they're sure to have some real big fights, but I don't think it's anything they can't handle.

And yes, I do think Hermione gets a little exasperated by Ron's lack of intelligence at times but as others have said he balances her well by forcing her to relax.

Sorry for writing a full essay!

Caitlin As soon as I started reading this series, I knew that Ron and Hermione would end up together (I can usually guess things like that fairly acurately). Son I never even considered if Harry would be better for Hermione. They're practically siblings in my mind.

Caitlin Samantha wrote: "I loved Harry/Ginny ! I don't know why, but it completely clicked for me. Though I COMPLETELY disagree with Lisa's implication that Hermione flinches when things get scary? I think that's what she ..."

Really, I agree with you completely.

Faith Wendy wrote: "I agree with Faith. In a book, you have somewhat limited options. Rowling couldn't have very well written the Epilogue with Hermione marrying some random Muggle that she met on vacation with her ..."

That's extactly what I was talking about :)

message 28: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field If I was Hermione I would go for Harry, no question. he's so much more interesting. Ron would annoy me, to slow on the uptake, and those temper tantrums?

message 29: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Field Also, I think JKR painted herself into a corner with the hermione/Ron thing. BUT imagine if in the deathly hallows she had completely reversed it and put harry and Hermione together.
Cos, let's face it, the DH didn't have any huge suprises, but that would have completely shocked EVERYBODY

Vazeni Ron

Amanda On paper you would have to say Harry but Ron has her heart from the beginning. She was drawn to him straight away. You can see that in their banter with each other. Intelluctually you would say Harry and you can see where Ron worries about this aspect of it when he gets jealous of harry and Hermione. They're a perfect match though. And Harry and Ginny are perfect for each other also, even though I'm not the biggest Ginny fan.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...

Hanna Samantha wrote: "I loved Harry/Ginny ! I don't know why, but it completely clicked for me. Though I COMPLETELY disagree with Lisa's implication that Hermione flinches when things get scary? I think that's what she ..."

I completely agree. Harry, Ron , and Hermione live in a completely different world, so it wouldn't really be right to compare them to us. We have to walk in their shoes, not putting them in our circumstances.

Nasra Ron, Harry is way to bland of a character for Hermione. He isn't even funny. He is well with Ginny. I hate her too so they go well together. They both are boring as hell and suck to read about (actually harry's story is cool, harry personally is boring) so ron

message 34: by Felicia (last edited Mar 11, 2012 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Felicia Really? How is there even any doubt about this? Ron of course.

Nasra There isn't, that's exactly what i'm talking about!

Prerna ron definitely.. hermione needed somebody like ron who would make her laugh but at the same time give into all her crazy and nerdy ideas!

message 37: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna i never felt like there was chemistry between Harry and Hermione. when i first started reading the book way back when only 3 were out i thought Harry and Hermione would end up together cause usually that is what happens and it kind of made me sad because there was absolutely nothing interesting in them together. no fire. that is why i think they make a great couple with Ron.

Wynter Ravenheart Honestly?! I mean pure honesty here... the 7 books were all about the Harry/Hermione/Ron pairing, a threesome I know. But I think each of them complements the other in ways the Harry/Hermione Hermione/Ron or even the Harry/Ron wouldn't be able to.

message 39: by Sheila (new) - added it

Sheila Quinn Definitely Ron! He and Hermione have great chemistry going on between them! They complement each other very well, one brings brain into the equation, and the other brawn! Also Ron's sense of humour is VERY sexy! And Hermione thinks so, too!

message 40: by Rula (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rula i loved the kiss between Ron/Hermione in the seventh film - the kiss did it for me.

harry and ginny are perfect for each other - because at first when i watched the second film she was nervous and shy around him but in the fifth film, they were besotted from the start - i could really tell.

message 41: by Brooke (last edited Jun 18, 2012 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Brooke Sheila wrote: "Definitely Ron! He and Hermione have great chemistry going on between them! They complement each other very well, one brings brain into the equation, and the other brawn! Also Ron's sense of humour..."
I wouldn't call it sexy, but Ron does have an awesome sense of humor.

Catherine Ron...... nuff said

message 43: by Rula (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rula Samantha wrote: "I loved Harry/Ginny ! I don't know why, but it completely clicked for me. Though I COMPLETELY disagree with Lisa's implication that Hermione flinches when things get scary? I think that's what she ..."

it doesn't matter because you are saying what you think. i think the same - harry and ginny are perfect for each other because they deserve to be together. they are so sweet and yet it's destiny for them.

Lauren Opposite do attract,so I have to pick Ron.

Chelsea Ron!

Micaela Ron is Harry is more of a friend who will always be there

message 47: by Baja (new) - rated it 5 stars

Baja Nasra wrote: "Ron, Harry is way to bland of a character for Hermione. He isn't even funny. He is well with Ginny. I hate her too so they go well together. They both are boring as hell and suck to read about (act..."

LOVE YA!

Natalie When I was younger, I always thought that Hermione will end up with Harry...
But now, I'm happy that she's with Ron. They're so funny together and they really care of each other.

Jasmine Neither. If I had to choose it would be Harry though because Ron and Hermione were just to different. Plus Hermione is to smart for him, not being able to talk to someone on your level gets old. Not only did Ron not share Hermione's love for books but he made fun of her for it ALL the time and he got mad at her to many times as well. Hermione was very passionate about spew and he berated her about that as well. That could have been his awkward attempt at flirting but COME ON he acted the same way for 7 years.

Samantha The Escapist Jasmine wrote: "Neither. If I had to choose it would be Harry though because Ron and Hermione were just to different. Plus Hermione is to smart for him, not being able to talk to someone on your level gets old. No..."

But Hermione was so misguided about Spew and Ron knew as much, sure he didn't exactly help her but I'd have found it difficult to keep my mouth shut too.

My boyfriend and I are very different, he plays paintball and I paint. I play hockey and he can't eevn skate (also won't) He reads non-fiction history books (mostly war) while I read YA fiction. He watches a lot of documentaries and I rewatch disney movies. He also seems to be allergic to cleaning the house but that's different :P I collect old watches and masquerade masques and he collects old war and fishing memorabelia.

It's certainly not similar interests thast keep us together, we simply love each other. If anything I would say that Ron and Hermione's lack of compatibility lied in their different countenences rather than their interests.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (other topics)