Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice question

Help! I don't know what to read?
Olivia Olivia Mar 03, 2012 09:07PM
Hey guys! I need help deciding on a book to read! There are soo many and I love so many different genres! Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!

If you liked Pride and Prejudice then the rest of Miss Austen's novels.Mansfield Park is really great.

Like someone esle said Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Sherlock Holmes are both great.Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is a masterpiece.

Troy I've read a few mangas with characters as complex as anything in western fiction. It is a medium that contains everything from trash to masterpieces.
Mar 24, 2012 02:07PM

Well, Olivia, you've got some excellent choices here. It would be easier to suggest something if your profile weren't private. But if you're looking for amusing stories set in the Regency era, I'd check out Georgette Heyer.

If you want to stick to the classics, there is always Jane Eyre. Or swivel onto the romance genre and select an author like Sparks - and have a few quick reads while you decide.

Try out Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite non-current book and I found myself falling in love with Wuthering Heights.

The Great Gatsby

Use the number generator to help choose the book for you!!

I absolutely loved Jane Eyre but I simply can not finish Pride and Prejudice. That's probably because I have already seen the P&P mini series and the movie. I started this book twice and I can't seem to go past 100 pages, it's kind of boring. I loved the movie though!

Curtis Persevere! It will be worth it. Once you get to Darcy's letter, the story really picks up. Modern readers are so used to getting hooked on the first p...more
Mar 29, 2012 11:11AM

I'd recommend Sherlock Holmes to anyone. But don't make the common mistake and start with "The hound of the Baskervilles". Start with the first book, "A Study in Scarlet". It was not only interesting, but also so funny. It was a great surprise =)

Books you may like from "Classic" arena I would recommend are:
Count of Monte Cristo - very good- read multiple times!!
Rebecca- Daphne DuMaurier- read multiple times
Any book by Jane Austen or the Bronte's
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

Olivia-
As a former book-seler and publishing exec.,I'd love to help you out but for some reason I cannot access your profile.
-what is your age?
-what is your reading level?
-of what genres are you particularly fond?
-what are your interests other than reading?
-Fiction, non-fiction or both
-Schopenhauer or Steven King? -or both.-

Hope to hear from you
Scott

My suggestion is Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor. It's an English period piece/historical fiction. If you enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl, you will probably like Forever Amber.

My suggestion would be A.S. Byatt's Possession (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41...), a blend of 19th century romance and 20th century literary detective novel. Totally mesmerizing.

Olivia wrote: "Hey guys! I need help deciding on a book to read! There are soo many and I love so many different genres! Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!"

The book discussion group to which I belong had for this month's read the Henry James novel "Washington Square". It is set in the 1800s but I think you will like the plot and characters and not only because it is a classic. Happy reading!

Well, if your an Austen fan "Persuasion" is AMAZING and I'm in the middle of reading "Emma" which is also good! "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins is really good and the narrators are so funny, quirky, and just plain awesome =)

Have you ever tried Alison Lurie? I think she's the Jane Austen of the modern era. Try FOREIGN AFFAIRS which won the Pulitzer in 1982.

try reading
-Ella Enchanted
-The Count of Monte Cristo
-The Light in the Forest
-Indian Captive
-The Stars for a Light

look at my book club's list of book we've read: http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh... Maybe it will give you some ideas

What to read next would depend on why you liked Pride and Prejudice. Some like it for the romance but I love it for the wit. I didn't care that much for the Brontes and have never understood why people constantly compare P&P to Jane Eyre - they are nothing alike except that they are both written by women. Still, if you liked the romance of P&P and you like gothic, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are certainly worth a read. If, on the other hand, it was her wit that attracted you to Austen and you have read all her books, Dickens also has a knack of shining a light on the conventions of his time and doing it with humour. If you are looking for an American with the same ability, you can't beat Mark Twain. And, if you are looking for something a little more modern, I would agree with an earlier writer about Dodie Smith and Stella Gibbons.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, perhaps? It's my favorite.

I think you would like, as mentioned above, the Count of Monte Cristo. One of my favorites. I am also an Austen fan and have enjoyed all of her books.

Olivia wrote: "Hey guys! I need help deciding on a book to read! There are soo many and I love so many different genres! Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!"

Dear olivia,
i am huge jane austen fan so first i would go on and suggest you reading any of her novels and if you happen to have read them all, i would say go for charlotte bronte books or charles dickens. :) have fun

Troy (last edited Mar 24, 2012 02:05PM ) Mar 24, 2012 02:04PM   0 votes
Alot of good choices mentioned here, a couple that haven't been (or I missed :) are:

George Eliot, Middlemarch: A great female lead in Dorothea Brooke--comparable to Elizabeth Bennet.
William Thackeray, Vanity Fair: Eliza's opposite in the lead--Becky Sharp. Watch her climb.

Of those mentioned,

I second:

Jane Eyre--Bronte's Jane is a surprisingly strong and resilient character; she has many of the qualities of Mansfield Park's Fanny Price.

I also really enjoyed A.S. Byatt's Possession: What I would call a fairly smokin' romance.

go for Wuthering Heights if u didn't read it, it's great.Jane Austen Persuasion is very good too

If you want something from a different genre, go for Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews or better yet, My Sweet Audrina also by her.

Charles (last edited Mar 23, 2012 02:55PM ) Mar 23, 2012 02:54PM   0 votes
When I was getting my MFA years ago I took a tutorial from an elder of the tribe. He looked at my thesis and asked had I read Crime and Punishment? Well, no. Followed a list of other (as I now see, relevant to my thesis) 19th century books. Um, no. I was getting an MFA, which is about modern literature, isn't it? I mean, last year? I spent all my time reading little magazines. Not a mistake, actually, but about five years later I took it into my head, how or why I cannot say, to read Bleak House. Utter transformation. Suddenly the work of a century opened up. I read all of Trollope, all of ... etc. This is, I propose, the answer to not knowing what to read. Look into (just into! a great many books you thought you didn't like, thought too hard or too easy, etc. Remenber Astor Piazzola, studying music with Nadia Boulanger and not getting it. She found out he liked tango music and was writing it on the sly, thinking it wasn't worthy. She told him to go home and write tangos.

I second the recommendation of Mrs. Gaskell (especially North & South) - I actually prefer her works to "darling Jane's" - but there's enough thematic and stylistic overlap to make me think that a lover of one would also appreciate the other.

Do you like it because of Mr. Darcy or because of the wit? If both: Watch Downton Abbey? I haven't been able to find a "second P&P" yet.

Anthony Trollope's series The Chronicles of Barset and The Palliser novels--all set circa mid to late 1800's and contemporary with Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins--and very much the comedy of manners that Austen has perfected.

If you really like paranormal romance, the first book in the Parasol Protectorate, "Soulless" is an exaqmple of what would happen if Jane Austen's quill and Jim Butcher's keyboard mated. The other books in the weries are still a little Austenesque but tend more toward the "Perils of Pauline" rather than "Pride and Prejudice".

Obviously, the Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clair is a great period piece in the paranormal genre.

I second "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel" as another good period paranormal story, and there should be a sequel.

Non-paranormal but with a good strong heroine and late Victorian, the Amelia Peabody myster series with its archaelogical digs in Egypt and mysteries to solve is good--and romantic.

If you like crime, then maybe one of Agatha Christie's books?

How's 'bout, My Antonia by Willa Cather? Other side of the pond, but still a great story, life in another era, with a woman at the center. It's got some romance too.

Did you post this on P&P because you liked that and want something similar?

I'd recommend Jane Eyre if you haven't already read it. Also, if you like historical fiction I just read The Paris Wife and it was AMAZING.

i really don't know wat2 read any suggestions...
i like paranormal romance mostly

Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford Chronicles or Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Perhaps Vanity Fair by Thackaray?

As a follow up to P&P I suggest Gaskell's North and South and then watch the BBC adaptation. *swoon*

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

I would recommend Random Harvest by James Hilton. It's similar to P&P in that it's slow to get started. But there's a turning point. Just like Darcy's letter, the turning point has to do with a door knob. It's an amazing romance with a surprise ending.

By far my favorite is Les Miserables! Don't be intimidated by the size. It's amazing.

For a fun, swashbuckling read, try The Three Musketeers or Scaramouche.

For a look into another culture, try Dale Furutani's Samurai Mysteries, starting with Kill the Shogun. Or Haruki Murakami's 1Q84.

If you like Regency Romance, read the "Sanguinet Saga" by Patricia Veryan (who BTW is my fave author). It is amazing. If you end up liking it you should read the Golden Chronicles series (it is her best) and then the Tales of the Jeweled Men. Her books have some old English curse words but other than that are really good.

Maybe , in a classic swing - Emma, also by Austen; crime: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlocm Holmes).

If you are looking for more Austen, read the rest of her books. She wrote 6. I would never recommend Jane Eyre. It has none of the wit, interest, or great lines of Austen. But, I don't like any of the Brontes' writings at all. All of Dumas is great. Three Musketeers is funnier and more satirical than Count of Monte Cristo. It isn't as moralistic.

Georgette Heyer's regency romances are great fun, seen as sort of Austen-lite, they are perfectly intelligent in their own wry way.

Sharon (last edited Mar 06, 2012 11:03AM ) Mar 06, 2012 11:00AM   0 votes
I've always thought that if Jane Austen had tried her hand at fantasy, it would look a lot like Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

D.M. (last edited Jun 07, 2012 07:16AM ) Jun 07, 2012 07:15AM   0 votes
ANARCHY  A Love Story by D.M. Anthony

Hopefully I'm not violating any rules here by recommending my own book. :-)

Pride and Prejudice is one of my all-time favorite love stories, which is why this thread captured my attention. Being a guy, that might seem strange, but I am at heart a romantic. And that is why I chose for my first novel a love story, though nothing like P&P. More like Sid & Nancy meets Romeo & Juliet. Gritty, but beautiful (so I'm told).

Let me know if you read it and what you think.

An Accomplished Woman by Jude MorganShares similarities with several works of Austen,but a little more straightforward.

Indiscretion by Jude MorganMy favorite by this author.Heroine is very witty. :)

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith and Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. Here's the first line of Cold Comfort Farm:

“The education bestowed on Flora Poste by her parents had been expensive, athletic, and prolonged; and when they died within a few weeks of one another during the annual epidemic of the influenza or Spanish Plague which occurred in her twentieth year, she was discovered to possess every art and grace save that of earning her own living.”

deleted member Apr 01, 2012 01:11AM   0 votes
Here's my two cents worth:
If you really like Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters' works, try books by Julie Klassen... she's a Christian historical author. I've read a couple of her books and always get the Regency feel.

If you want a classic try the first Tarzan of the Apes. It's REALLY good!

I don´t really know if Molly Keane (MJ Farrell) counts but her books were set mostly in the twenties and thirties in Ireland, among the landed gentry and nowadays, have a very nostalgic ring to them. Some of them are very funny, too, as are the short stories of Somerville & Ross which I have just been re-reading. They tend to bring out that whimsical, eccentric element in the literary Irish character.

if u liked pride and prejudice i think u would really enjoy little woman by Louisa May Alcott

little women is really good

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Pride and Prejudice (other topics)
The Paris Wife (other topics)
An Accomplished Woman (other topics)
Indiscretion (other topics)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julie Klassen (other topics)
Charlotte Brontë (other topics)