The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Agnes Grey

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8727 comments Mod
Sorry I'm a day late!

Be sure to mark spoilers using the cool spoiler html code in the upper right corner of the comment box!!

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott I'm not even 40 pages in to Agnes Grey, and already a Bronte has once again gotten me to enjoy their book when I usually would never go near something like this.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 190 comments I must say I would not have chosen to read this book and I enjoyed it! This year I've found myself enjoying the two books I didn't like when I was younger: Agnes Grey and Little Women. Maybe my tastes have changed.

In general, it reads as though Agnes never grew or developed during the course of the book. However, I think that's probably because the story is told through the voice of an older Agnes, kind of as a recollection of events.

message 4: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 7815 comments Starting this one over the weekend!

message 5: by Jennavier (new)

Jennavier (Jennavie) This is one of my all time favorite books, and I'm so glad we're doing it. I was always impressed with the cool societal evaluation that came through in this narrative.

message 6: by Rory M. (new)

Rory M. (Roar) | 126 comments I began listening to this one on CD last week...those children are horrid creatures!

If you are enjoying this book you should definitely read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall which has a father who is even more intolerable as Mr. Bloomfield.

message 7: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 7815 comments Rory: No argument here, those children were awful! So glad the people I babysat for always let their children know I was in charge, and that I was allowed to discipline them (to some degree).

I had hoped to finish this over the weekend, seeing as it is rather short (153 pages in my edition), but...I was too easily distracted so am only on page 111 (middle of chapter 17). Hoping to finish before I sleep tonight.

message 8: by Anne Nikoline (new)

Anne Nikoline (annenikoline) I just finished this a few days ago, and I must say I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'll read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall as soon as possible!

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita | 2 comments First let me say that I am a fan of the Bronte's, however, Anne's endings always fall a bit flat for me. I think perhaps their "perfect happiness" makes them feel a bit contrived. We go from hardship to "and they all lived happily ever after", so quickly I get literary whip lash ;-). Overall though it was an an enjoyable read.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 559 comments i finished this up the other week - Anne def. falls square in the middle of my enjoyment of Jane and my dislike of Emily...I did prefer Tenant of Wildfell Hall over this one, but from what I understand, this one was more autobiographical potentially...those children were horrendous

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (other topics)