Townie: A Memoir Townie discussion

Live Video Chat with Andre Dubus III

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (last edited Mar 14, 2012 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Patrick Brown Join us on Friday, March 16 at 5 pm ET/2 pm PT for a live video chat with acclaimed author Andre Dubus III. We'll be discussing his powerful memoir Townie as well as his previous work and his life as a writer.

Please note: For those who cannot make it to the live chat, we will record the chat and make it available on the video chat page shortly after the conclusion.

Kathidfsmc is this chat on with Andre Dubus? I am having trouble getting in

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott q I can't seem to get in either.

Patrick Brown Scott wrote: "q I can't seem to get in either."

Sorry, guys, this was rescheduled for Friday. I will update the ticker.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Just testing...

Kathidfsmc It is still not showing as an update anywhere. I just checked events and it is still showing for March 16 . Is it actually on for Friday?

Patrick Brown Yes, it's happening today at 5pm ET.

message 8: by Passawee (new)

Passawee Somjaiwong hello

message 9: by Soul (new)

Soul Great! waiting...

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie q How long did it take you to write and edit this book?

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ashe hii ppl!!

message 12: by Chelsea Denisse (new)

Chelsea Denisse What Inspired you to write this book? :P

message 13: by Adele (new)

Adele Symonds Hi all got a while to wait yet

message 14: by Adele (new)

Adele Symonds It will be 9pm in England when it starts, Adverts with british time would be helpful so w know when to log in.

message 15: by Margie (new)

Margie q It's 5:02pm but it is still offline. is it not happening today?

Kathidfsmc Is anyone in the livestream. I am logged on and it is 5:02 but I am not seeing anything

Patrick Brown We are live now if you want to hit play.

message 18: by Margie (new)

Margie nope. it still says offline

Patricia q: I don't see or hear anything.

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Cannot log on!! :(

Kathidfsmc same here , hit play and it just spinning and says offline

Patrick Brown Okay, hang on one second everyone and we'll try to get this resolved.

message 23: by Scott (new)

Scott offline for me too

message 24: by Francesca (new)

Francesca it's working now!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

heyy

Patrick Brown It should be up now. Sorry for the issues.

Patrick Brown If you've got a question for Andre, feel free to ask it at anytime.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

i just got here, can i ask when did he start writing?

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

q:When did he start writing, i just got here.

Timothy Winterstein q what authors are you reading these days?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

q:whats your favorite book you wrote?

message 32: by Jonnie (new)

Jonnie Martin q Given your family background how did you get so much insight into eastern/middle-eastern characters such as in The House of Sand and Fog?

Nicole q Hi Andre, Patrick, everyone. Andre, I love your fiction and was absolutely mesmerized by your memoir. I'm interested in the topic mentioned already--briefly--about the intersections of violence. I'm thinking of the violence that you experienced in your real life and how that is, perhaps, manifested into your fiction. And, as a follow up, I'm thinking of some of your father's work, like "Killings" that does something similar with violence and how it intrudes upon the everyday. How do you consciously work these ideas into your craft and how conscious is it?

message 34: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Pye q Former student here, dialing in from China! Since I learned creative writing from you in 2006/7, I've discovered Bukowski who really embraced and continued the violence of his youth rather than turn his life around. Do you credit the violence for some of your success, or do you think you could have done just as well without it?

message 35: by Yura (new)

Yura  Reader As your writing successes continue, do you find that your time spent writing becomes more efficient, or is it continually painful and lengthy?

Maridith Geuder q How did your father influence your writing? How do you compare your styles?

message 37: by Janice (new)

Janice Janice Rawlins: Do you write often, how many times would you say write a week?

Kathidfsmc q in the book you referenced that your father told you not to wait to write about him unitl he was dead. Did he ever read any pieces of this book and what did he think. I knew your dad and think i knew the greek friend. last time i saw your dad was at the funeral of the greek friend

message 39: by Margie (new)

Margie q Which do you enjoy writing more: fiction or personal essays?

message 40: by Adele (new)

Adele Symonds q. Is there one particular character in any of fiction works who reminds yourself of you, more than any other?

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Pye q RE: "I don't feel like a real man because I've never been in a fight." What do you say to writers with anxiety about "I don't do drugs, I'm not an alcoholic. How can I be a real writer?"

Kathidfsmc kathi koufacos

Patrick Brown Sorry Kathi!

message 44: by Kat (new)

Kat Ioannides that's what really struck me about this book, just how honest and gritty it was. Is it difficult to expose such personal, raw stories to the public?

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Pye Thank you, Patrick and Andre!

message 46: by Yura (new)

Yura  Reader Wonderful session. Many thanks

message 47: by Adele (new)

Adele Symonds Thnkyou, brilliant

Patrick Brown Thank you all for the great questions. I will have a recording up shortly for anyone who missed it.

message 49: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Copley-Lindsey Patrick - Wonderful Chat! I just watched this 3/26/12 - a little late!!! But, I loved the interview and the questions from our readers were quite appropriate. I love this writer and I thank you for taping this session for those of us who could not be present at the original. Sincerely, Dawn Copley-Lindsey

Angela Robertson Thanks for the posting. I loved this book and loved listening to Andre talk about the book and his life / experiences.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Townie: A Memoir (other topics)