Historical Fictionistas discussion

Georgette Heyer
This topic is about Georgette Heyer
Favorite HF Authors > Georgette Heyer

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 25 comments I love, love, love, love, LOVE!!! Georgette Heyer.

Why???

A great many wildly different reasons. But strangely none of them are the reason I usually like a book. I like romance...it’s not the only theme I want in the book I’m about to read but it has to be one of them or I start to get bored (there are a few exceptions to this rule, but I digress!). But I don’t really read Georgie for her romance; I read her for her humour, for the interaction of her characters and for the beautiful way she writes.
I'm not saying I like all of her books (*Cough* The Black Moth, *Cough, Cough* Venetia.) But some of her books are just SPLENDID.

My all time favourite has to be Cotillion. Why?
It’s all on account of Freddy.
Freddy is the hero; he’s not some incredible 'must have fallen from mount Olympus' hunk of eye candy. He doesn't have 'corded arms' or a 'torso made up of muscular ridges and plains’ in fact he’s of a slight build.
He isn’t suave, sophisticated, dryly humorous....in fact he’s not considered all that clever!!!
He’s ‘not in the petticoat line’, he isn’t a rake, or a nonesuch, he is.......a pink!
But.......
He is a true hero!!!
The story doesn’t go easy on him, he’s put in a false position (against his better judgement) because he’s far too nice to say no, and spends the rest of the story paying for it. I love the way he interacts with the heroine (like an older brother) and the way he protects her, not flashily but with a quietness I found I liked more.
He is also soooooooo funny!!!
Not on purpose, but funny never the less, and I can’t help thinking that for Georgie to have crafted a character who you can whole heartedly embrace as a hero, while still letting you laugh at his clumsiness, is very clever.

What’s your favourite Heyer???

Lori Baldi | 171 comments Wow, I wish I could say that I've read anything at all by Heyer. My penpal is a huge fan and she has turned my attention to a few good authors. There is some reason that I haven't read Heyer. I don't even own one of her books and I have something by a bunch of people that I just haven't gotten to. I will make it a priority to get one of her books and I'll look for Cotillion to give her a try.

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 25 comments Lori wrote: "Wow, I wish I could say that I've read anything at all by Heyer. My penpal is a huge fan and she has turned my attention to a few good authors. There is some reason that I haven't read Heyer. I don..."

Yay a convert!!!

Although 'Cotillion' is my favourite I have to warn you that it isn't a typical Georgie Heyer....most of her hero's ARE rakes.

They reform.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you find that 'Cotillion' isn't your thing, try one of her others.

I have a lot of friends on here who read her books and the funny thing is that everyone picks a different one as their favourite!!!

I'd really love to hear what you think after you've had a bit of a look see! :-D

Kimberly | 77 comments I bought about 10 of her novels last month, I've yet to read them. I have to start reading them soon.

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 25 comments Kimberly wrote: "I bought about 10 of her novels last month, I've yet to read them. I have to start reading them soon."

Ohhh! I'm so jealous!!! To be reading them for the first time!

I read my first Georgie Heyer when I was 12, by the time I was 16 I'd read them all!!!

Tell me what you think of them once you've read them???

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Barbi | 15 comments I also love Heyer!! I suggested her to my sister a few months ago and since then I have started to re-read all of her novels (last time I read them must have been 25/30 years ago!)- love them all!! Do you have any suggestions for similar authors? As far as a favorite - can't pick just one!!

Diane Lewis D.D. wrote: "I love, love, love, love, LOVE!!! Georgette Heyer.

Why???

A great many wildly different reasons. But strangely none of them are the reason I usually like a book. I like romance...it’s not the on..."

I loved Fredericka, because of the humor and wonderful dialog between the characters.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 07, 2012 02:57PM) (new)

My first Heyer was one of her mysteries - The Quiet Gentleman
[bookc:The overQuiet Gentleman|311151]

As I recall, it had a terrible cover. I was hosting an exchange student my age, and I got so engrossed in the book, I forgot to talk to her.

My favorite is The Foundling
The Foundling by Georgette Heyer
followed closely by The Grand Sophy
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

Which would make a wonderful miniseries...

message 10: by Nell (last edited Jun 07, 2012 04:27PM) (new)

Nell | 61 comments My first Georgette Heyer was The Talisman Ring which I stumbled across in a UBS about 5 years ago. The cover blurb had a favorite author of mine raving about Heyer. It was a great read!
Frederica is one of my favorites. And now that I know The Quiet Gentleman is a mystery, it's going to the top of my TBR.

The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer Frederica by Georgette Heyer The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer

Diane Lewis Nell wrote: "My first Georgette Heyer was The Talisman Ring which I stumbled across in a UBS about 5 years ago. The cover blurb had a favorite author of mine raving about Heyer. It was a great read!
Frederica ..."

I loved Frederica as well. The dialog was so witty!

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 113 comments I've read two: An Infamous Army which I understand is not typical of her period writings and Why Shoot a Butler? which is one of her mysteries. I liked both and will be reading more.

Amanda Shalaby (AmandaLVShalaby) My first Georgette Heyer was also The Talisman Ring - I'm going to add Cotillion to my to-read list!

Lianne (eclecticreading) | 47 comments I finally got around to reading some of Georgette Heyer's books last year (she was recommended to me forever by fans of Jane Austen on another message board, lol) and I haven't looked back since xD My first Heyer book was Venetia which I greatly enjoyed. Favourite book from her would have to be...hmm, probably Frederica but I also enjoyed Cotillion (I was seriously lol'ing with all the interactions amongst the boys), Venetia, Arabella and The Reluctant Widow =)))

Daga | 4 comments I came across Georgette Heyer rather accidently. My first book was actually an audiobook which was read by Richard Armitage. I fell in love immediately, both with the story itself - it was The marriage of convenience (I think Horatia is absolutely charming and Rule most intriguing - and Richard Armitage's voice. So then I also listened to Venetia and Sylvester. I would grade them exactly in this order, even though I find them all really amusing and most entertaining. The only problem is that these are abridge versions of books so I was most eager to eventually read the original versions. Not having the opportunity to read exactly those books, I read The Quiet Gentleman and now I got a copy of The Nonesuch and Regency buck. I can't wait to get my hands - eyes - on them.
I must say that finding out about Georgette Heyer was one of my biggest literary discovery ever, such that I have almost forsaken Victorian period for regency ;)

Prue | 29 comments Daga wrote: "I came across Georgette Heyer rather accidently. My first book was actually an audiobook which was read by Richard Armitage. I fell in love immediately, both with the story itself - it was The marr..."

That's exactly how I began to read Georgette Heyer. In my brash younger days, I wouldn't touch her, to my shame. Then I bought Venetia from Naxos read by RA and was charmed by GH's narrative and her cheeky wit. So followed Sylvester and THEN, A Convenient Marriage which I just had to write blog post about because I listened to it driving and swear I nearly drove off the road!

I plan to read each and every one of her books, and am thrilled to have finally made the discovery. but then I am always the late one to every party...

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 24, 2012 04:51PM) (new)

My first was The Quiet Gentleman - an excellent mystery, actually. I ended up reading the rest. I didn't care for a couple of them. I already listed my favorites, above.

Daga | 4 comments Prue wrote: "...A Convenient Marriage which I just had to write blog post about because I listened to it driving and swear I nearly drove off the road!..."
OMG, heheehehehe, but I can totally believe it. The other day my partner went to London and so I asked him to get me The Convenient Marriage (btw, I'm not sure how it could've happened but I wrote the title incorrectly in the other post, sorry)and so I've started reading it this very morning and ...dear me... I need to go to work but the book is so gripping that it makes it almost impossible to leave it :o

Prue, I definitely recommend reading the actual book. It's way more better than the "heavenly" great audiobook, if U know what I mean :)

message 19: by J.A. (last edited Jul 26, 2012 11:16AM) (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I just got started on Heyer a few years back after having The Talisman Ring recommended to me by Amazon after a binge of Regency romance purchases. Not one of her more serious books, but great fun.

I do find it ironic, though, that I actually have had more trouble, at times, reading through some Heyer books because of the slang than actual books written in the Georgian period (which, admittedly, tried to keep the amount of slang down to be "proper" and what not).

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

J.A. wrote: "I actually have had more trouble, at times, reading through some Heyer books because of the slang than actual books written in the Georgian period..."

I think once or twice Heyer has someone use some cant - 'bunches of fives' or 'handsomely over the bricks!' and then had him or her reprimanded by an elder for unbecoming language.

Has anyone read Barbara Cartland's attempts to do Regency Romance? I did - it was longer ago than I care to admit, and it was truly, truly terrible.

message 21: by Michael (last edited Aug 09, 2012 06:10PM) (new)

Michael (Mike999) | 4 comments Daga wrote: "Not having the opportunity to read exactly those books, I read The Quiet Gentleman and now I got a copy of The Nonesuch and Regency buck...."

The Regency Buck, along with The Infamous Army made the Guardian's 1000 Novels You Must Read list. They came under the heading "pulp romance": Guardian 1000 Novels-Pulp Romance .

I thoroughly enjoyed The Grand Sophie, which a friend challenged me as a man not to enjoy. My review (mild spoiler alert):
A romantic farce full of delightful shenanigans and subtle wisdom. A dysfunctional aristocratic family in London in the pre-Victorian Regency period gets their world turned upside down by the arrival of cousin Sophy. Her diplomat father, en route from Europe to Brazil, drops 20 year-old Sophy off with the Rivenhalls in hopes they can help her find a husband. Despite her improper outspokenness and manly skills with horse and pistols, she eventually charms everyone. Through outrageous scheming, she sets out to undermine the marriage choices of sweet cousin Cecelia and her domineering brother Charles and divert them to happier matches. She also courageously helps their younger siblings (a brother with gambling problems and a young sister laid low with typhus). All heads for a nice Shakespearean twist at the end--all’s well that ends well.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) For those who are interested, the site Discover a New Love has Georgette Heyer on sale during Aug (I think starting 8/14) for $2.99.
I am a huge Georgette Heyer fan. My favorite is probably Venetia by Georgette Heyer and I also love The Conqueror by Georgette Heyerwhich is not a typical book of hers, but I think it's very good. The only one I have not enjoyed is The Foundling by Georgette Heyer. For some reason, have never been able to get into it.

Beth S | 2 comments Love Heyer - & recently recommended them to a much younger colleague, who also loved them. My first was the Nonesuch, but besides Cotillion & the Quiet Gentleman I really like Sprig Muslin, because of the "older" heroine. Even when I was younger I never was comfortable with 16 year old marrying 30 year olds!

message 24: by C.P. (last edited Oct 08, 2012 04:53PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 621 comments I cannot believe that I never commented on this thread, because I am a huge Heyer fan. She was one of the first historical romance writers I read and is, even now, the one to whom I intermittently return.

My favorites, more or less in order.
Devil's Cub
These Old Shades
The Masqueraders
The Talisman Ring
The Grand Sophy
Frederica
Sylvester
The Conqueror
A Civil Contract
The Black Moth, written when she was 15 and now in the public domain!
The Quiet Gentleman
The Spanish Bride, and many more.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I am reading The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyerthis month. I have never read this one and am really excited.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 247 comments The Grand Sophy may be my favorite.

Anne (Gloucester) | 9 comments An Infamous Army and Grand Sophy are my favorites. When I had finished them all (in my teens) I was so upset, I started writing one of my own. That was my first foray into writing a novel! The six feeble chapters are still mouldering in the bottom of my trunk somewhere in the attic! 40 years later, I took up writing again.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cotillion (other topics)
The Quiet Gentleman (other topics)
The Foundling (other topics)
The Grand Sophy (other topics)
The Talisman Ring (other topics)
More...