The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

156 views
TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 20.6. Seasoned Reader: Jennifer W’s task- She Works Hard for the Money

Comments (showing 1-50 of 87) (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 02, 2012 03:47AM) (new)

Sandy | 10586 comments Mod
20.6. Seasoned Reader: Jennifer W’s task- She Works Hard for the Money

In May I will have been at my current job for 5 years! I haven’t always known I wanted to work in mental health and have changed my mind repeatedly about what I’ve wanted for a career. For this task, you get to read about the multitude of careers I’ve had or thought about having. Fiction or non-fiction is acceptable for all choices. As always, explain how your book fits if it’s not obvious from the goodreads’ book description.

Roll a die. Die Roller REQUIRED: State what you rolled when posting.

Select your book based on the following options:

1: Mental health. I’ve worked with people who have mental illnesses for 5 years. Read a book in which a character has a mental illness or is a mental health worker. Any of the "clickable" psychiatric disorders on this list will work: Psychiatric Disorders. For the purpose of this task, substance abuse, including alcoholism, autism and Asperger’s will NOT be considered mental illnesses. A character or book with those disorders may still work, but you will have to explain how the character/subject matter has a mental illness in addition to the above disorders. Examples: The Memory Palace, Lowboy, Wintergirls

2: Teacher. At one point, I wanted to be a high school teacher, but I wound up working for a while in outdoor education. Read a book in which an educational setting is important. The character may be a teacher or student and the setting need not be traditional (ex: home school, summer camp, etc.). Examples: The Abstinence Teacher, The Secret History, Hate List


3: Customer service/ first job. Like many people, I started out working customer service. Read a book about working in a customer service industry (Starbucks, Walmart, diner, etc.) OR a book where a character gets his/her first job (if it’s not obvious from the description, specify what the job is when posting). Examples: Hope Was Here, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly, How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else

4: Wildlife biologist. I always wanted to travel the world and see amazing animals. Read a book about a WILD animal (not domesticated) or an animal biologist. Wild animals in captivity (zoos, circuses etc.) count. Examples: Water for Elephants, Moby-Dick, The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird

5: Forensics. I’ve always loved a good mystery and thought about being a crime scene investigator. Read a book in which a character investigates a crime. Examples: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Zodiac, The Poet

6: Author. When I’m not reading, I like to write. Maybe someday I’ll be a published author! Read a book in which a character is a writer, a book about being or becoming a writer, OR read a work of poetry (of at least 100 pages, books may be combined to reach 100 pages). Examples: The Thirteenth Tale, Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, book:The Book Thief|19063]


message 3: by Jennifer W (last edited Mar 04, 2012 11:03AM) (new)


message 4: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Reserved.


message 5: by JennRenee (last edited Mar 02, 2012 05:51AM) (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1177 comments would this work for option 2 The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl or Hunted which takes place in a boarding school for vampires.


message 7: by Michelle (last edited Mar 02, 2012 05:59AM) (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments For option 4 would The Zookeeper's Wife work? If you use the book link and then click on the paperback version it gives a much more detailed description.

thanks!


message 8: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1898 comments would this work for #1

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath


message 9: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments For option #2, could I read A Great and Terrible Beauty


message 10: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments JennRenee wrote: "would this work for option 2 The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl or Hunted which takes place in a boarding school for vampires."

Yes to Fanboy and Goth Girl.

If Hunted takes place primarily at the school, then yes. Mention it when you claim points.


message 12: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Michelle wrote: "For option 4 would The Zookeeper's Wife work? If you use the book link and then click on the paperback version it gives a much more detailed description.

thanks!"


I thought of that one myself when I created that option, but I'm on the fence. I can't tell if it's really about the animals. To me it seems to be more about the people. If the book focuses at least half on the animals at the zoo and how the people around them are caring for them during the war, then I'll allow it.


message 13: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Kathy G. wrote: "would this work for #1

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath"


Yes.


message 14: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "For option #2, could I read A Great and Terrible Beauty"

Yes.


message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5700 comments for 5. Forensics...does a cop investigating a crime work, or would you prefer other?


message 16: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Dee wrote: "for 5. Forensics...does a cop investigating a crime work, or would you prefer other?"

It can be anyone investigating, I just chose those options to show that it doesn't have to be a cop.


message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 5700 comments thanks - just wanted to check :)


message 18: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 189 comments For # 2 teacher: would either one of the following books work? They are both about teacher- student relationships Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead


message 19: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Mariya wrote: "For # 2 teacher: would either one of the following books work? They are both about teacher- student relationships Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead"

Yes to both.


message 20: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2388 comments So for customer service, would you accept waitresses, bartenders, inn owners, restaurant owners, librarians, or wedding or event planners? Trying to get a handle on this category.


message 21: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Bea wrote: "So for customer service, would you accept waitresses, bartenders, inn owners, restaurant owners, librarians, or wedding or event planners? Trying to get a handle on this category."

I would say no to wedding or event planners, unless they work the actual wedding or event. I'm thinking more along the lines of people who have to interact with the general public. "Planners" are typically hired by their clients and do behind the scenes work. Yes to the other options, though.


message 22: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2388 comments Jennifer W wrote: "Bea wrote: "So for customer service, would you accept waitresses, bartenders, inn owners, restaurant owners, librarians, or wedding or event planners? Trying to get a handle on this category."

..."


OK, great! Now I have options to look for...(doing the happy dance).


message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 10586 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Jennifer W wrote: "Bea wrote: "So for customer service, would you accept waitresses, bartenders, inn owners, restaurant owners, librarians, or wedding or event planners? Trying to get a handle on ..."

I read Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter in the winter challenge and enjoyed it.


message 24: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (geekymama) | 54 comments Jennifer, would Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen work for option #6?


message 25: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2388 comments Sandy wrote: "I read Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter..."

I checked my library website and this is only available as an audio book. Would it work well for that format?


message 26: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 10586 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Sandy wrote: "I read Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter..."

I checked my library website and this is only available as an audio book. Would it work wel..."


no idea - I got it from my library in hardback. It is mainly the author talking about his experiences as a waiter, tho, so it's not as if you'd be having to deal with lots of characters or convoluted plots (the ones where I find I have to do a lot of flipping back to keep things straight!)


message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments Jennifer W wrote: "Michelle wrote: "For option 4 would The Zookeeper's Wife work? If you use the book link and then click on the paperback version it gives a much more detailed description.

thanks!..."


Just thought I'd let you know that I asked one of my GR friends who had read the book and she said that it isn't really about the animals. Just in case anyone asks!

Now, after reading the WHOLE task I realize I never even rolled the dice. That's what I get for multi-tasking. I rolled a 2 so onto teaching books I go.

thanks again!


message 28: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 949 comments Would The Negotiator work for number 5?


message 29: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Lavinia wrote: "Jennifer, would Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen work for option #6?"

It seems to be more about her attempts at cooking rather than her story as a writer, so I'm going to say no.


message 30: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Michelle wrote: "Jennifer W wrote: "Michelle wrote: "For option 4 would The Zookeeper's Wife work? If you use the book link and then click on the paperback version it gives a much more detailed desc..."

Rats. I rolled a 4 myself and would have liked to have an excuse to read that one. :)


message 31: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Would The Negotiator work for number 5?"

It's hard to tell from the description. Is there an investigation that takes place during the story? If so, then I'll allow it.


message 32: by Kathryn CA (last edited Mar 02, 2012 06:21PM) (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 949 comments Here is a better description:
FBI special agent Dave Richman has spent his life protecting people; failure is not in his vocabulary. He'll figure out a way to protect Kate even if she is determined to make it difficult.
Kate O'Malley's specialty is hostage situations - defusing human time bombs before they go off. She will walk into the middle of a crisis if that's what is necessary to settle a situation. She's learned to let others see what she wants them to see. She's learned to depend on herself. Only herself. People die if she fails.
Kate is a target. Someone's been sending her black roses. Maybe the same person who just blew up an airplane...and blamed Kate. Then the investigation brings up the one name Kate hoped never to hear again...and she's faced with the shocking evidence that the bomber may be someone she knows. Now she has to decide if Dave - and the God he trusts so implicitly - is all he's supposed to be. And Dave is about to discover that loving a hostage negotiator is one thing, but keeping her safe is another matter entirely..


There is a huge investigation as to who is behind the plane bombing.


message 33: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (geekymama) | 54 comments How about Heat Wave? One of the characters is a journalist.


message 34: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Here is a better description:
FBI special agent Dave Richman has spent his life protecting people; failure is not in his vocabulary. He'll figure out a way to protect Kate even if she is determined..."


It works.


message 35: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Lavinia wrote: "How about Heat Wave? One of the characters is a journalist."

Yes.


message 36: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 949 comments Jennifer W wrote: "Kathryn CA wrote: "Here is a better description:
FBI special agent Dave Richman has spent his life protecting people; failure is not in his vocabulary. He'll figure out a way to protect Kate even i..."


Thanks!


message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 577 comments For option 2 could I read James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing, which takes place at Hogwarts?


message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael Mcdaid | 156 comments will Storm Front for option 5


message 39: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 475 comments I'm trying to fit Storm Front in too


message 40: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura | 66 comments For option #6, would The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay work? Sam Clay writes pulp novels and comic book scripts.

Thanks!


message 41: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura | 66 comments I'm also considering Everything is Illuminated for #6. Would that work? Here's the description:

A writer journeys to the farmlands of eastern Europe to find Augustine, the woman who saved his grandfather from the Nazis. Passionate and marked by an indelible humanity, "Everything Is Illuminated" mines the black holes of history and is ultimately a story about searching: for people and places that no longer exist and for the tales that link past and future.


message 42: by Keltie Lee (new)

Keltie Lee (Keltie_Lee) | 315 comments For option 1 will All Around the Town work? It is about a woman with multiple personality disorder or as it is known now dissociative identity disorder.
Thanks


message 43: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Chris wrote: "For option 2 could I read James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing, which takes place at Hogwarts?"

Hogwarts works.


message 44: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Michael wrote: "will Storm Front for option 5"

Yes.


message 45: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Monica wrote: "For option #6, would The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay work? Sam Clay writes pulp novels and comic book scripts.

Thanks!"


Yes.


message 46: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Monica wrote: "I'm also considering Everything is Illuminated for #6. Would that work? Here's the description:

A writer journeys to the farmlands of eastern Europe to find Augustine, the woman..."


Yes.


message 47: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 449 comments Keltie Lee wrote: "For option 1 will All Around the Town work? It is about a woman with multiple personality disorder or as it is known now dissociative identity disorder.
Thanks"



It doesn't mention it in the description, but if she does have DID, then yes, it works.


message 48: by Keltie Lee (new)

Keltie Lee (Keltie_Lee) | 315 comments Jennifer W wrote: "Keltie Lee wrote: "For option 1 will All Around the Town work? It is about a woman with multiple personality disorder or as it is known now dissociative identity disorder.
Thanks"


I..."


Thanks :)
A friend of mine read it and her DID is a result of her abduction.


message 49: by Coco Kimura (new)

Coco Kimura | 66 comments Jennifer W wrote: "Monica wrote: "I'm also considering Everything is Illuminated for #6. Would that work? Here's the description:

A writer journeys to the farmlands of eastern Europe to find Augusti..."


Thanks!


message 50: by N. (new)

N. (nonodisco) Will A Visit from the Goon Squad work for #6? The book is a series of linked short stories, each told from a different character's perspective, and one character who appears in several stories is a writer for a magazine.


« previous 1
back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Zodiac (other topics)
Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within (other topics)
The Poet (other topics)
The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird (other topics)
Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jane Goodall (other topics)