The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Spring 2012 > 25.10. Mrs. Soule's Task:I love a happy ending!

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 01, 2012 06:54PM) (new)

Sandy | 6490 comments Mod
25.10. Mrs. Soule's Task:I love a happy ending!

I love romance novels (like you haven’t heard that from me before!), mainly because when I pick one up I’m assured of a happy ending that will leave me smiling and ready to face the real world. In the past few months, well-meaning friends and family bombarded me with all the reasons I shouldn’t read romance novels, which helped me reflect on all the many and wonderful reasons I’ll keep right on reading them. For this challenge reflect on your feelings in this great debate, and choose your book options accordingly. To keep it all fun and friendly, I’ve attached a Winnie-the-Pooh character to each option. Of course, I made cuddly, comforting Winnie-the-Pooh represent the romance readers (cuz I can cuz it’s my task!).

Option A:
Winnie-the-Pooh - If you love romance novels too, you’re in luck! Read any two romance novels. “Romance” must be in the genre list of the book’s main page.

Option B:
If you aren’t a great lover of romance novels, read 2 books from the characters/options below (you may use the same option twice, or read books from two different character options):

1. Piglet - Haven’t tried ‘em: Read a romance novel recommended to you (on or off Goodreads) that you’re willing to give a go. “Romance” must be in the genre list of the book’s main page. Optional: Let us know how you liked it!

2. Eeyore - A happy ending is unrealistic: Fine, be that way, Eeyore! Read a dark & heavy book from one of the following lists:
Quality Dark Fiction
Darkest Books of All Time
Best Gothic Books of all Time
REQUIRED: When you post, tell us which list your book came from.

3. Owl – I prefer real literature: Nurture your inner book snob and read a book from one of the following lists:
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
REQUIRED: When you post, tell us which list your book came from.

4. Rabbit, or possibly Kanga if you prefer :-) – Romance novels are unedifying and/or dirty: I respect your values and so do plenty of romance authors! Read any book with “Christian”, “Religious”, or “Inspirational” listed as a genre on the book’s main page OR branch out but stay in the same tree and try a book from this list:
CLEAN Romance Books

5. Tigger – I’m having too much fun with all the books in my to-read list to add another genre: OMG, scratch some books off that list now! Read any book from your to-read list that was added before March 1, 2012. One more limiter for this option: Romance CANNOT be listed as a genre on your book’s main page.

6. Roo – I’m too young/innocent for romance novels: Read any book with Young Adult listed as a genre on the book’s main page.

REQUIRED: When you post, state which option(s) you’re using.

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 599 comments reserved

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 599 comments reserved

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments huge milne fan here...love how you integrated the pooh characters into this task! :) off to hunt for books to fit!

Angie (pinkindle) | 381 comments I love this task!!! :D

Katrina (katrinajt) | 428 comments Just clarifying Option 6, if it's a young adult book but mentions romance in the list on the page (as many do) does it still count?

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments I LOVE YOU!!!! Thanks!!!!!!

* I don't know if you can tell, but I kinda love romance too. :)

Dee (austhokie) | 4425 comments I love you too Mrs Soule!!! yay for romances!!

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 599 comments Katrina wrote: "Just clarifying Option 6, if it's a young adult book but mentions romance in the list on the page (as many do) does it still count?"

Katrina, yes - the only "qualifier" for Option 6/Roo is that it be YA.

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 599 comments Sassafrass & Dee, LOL! Thanks, guys!

Beth NC (BethNC) | 608 comments Awesomeness!!!!!! Off to the 100 acre woods I go!!!!!

Connie (Connie_G) | 338 comments What a cute task! Sometimes, when I've read a lot of "heavy" books, there's nothing better than a good romance for a change of pace!!!

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments OMG, OMG!!!! I absolutely LOVE this task!!!!

Jessica (Sureshot26) | 746 comments Hah, I'm such an Eeyore - I love gothics, noir, and the like, so I'm totally hijacking that option. That said, we'll see how I'm feeling when I actually get there - I might just sneak in a Georgette Heyer.

I actually read one of her books recently and thought that the way she uses period-specific language and speech patterns reminds me a whole lot of James Ellroy. And yes, there's something that makes me laugh about the comparison of an author best known for Regency romance and one of the most twisted hardboiled writers ever, because I think they might both be offended by it.

Dee (austhokie) | 4425 comments Jessica - random factoid about Heyer for you - her historical fiction (the ones about Waterloo etc) are still used in teaching Military history today because they are that accurate

Sue T (SueTinge) | 1148 comments Yay! I've got several unread romances sitting around.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments I wanted to do Tigger because I have so many books to be read but the ones I want to read have romance on the main page so I switched to Roo because they are also listed under Young Adult. Tigger is my favorite though.

Dee (austhokie) | 4425 comments mine too Jayme ;)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 1895 comments I always loved his energy even though I am not really a fan of the Winnie the Pooh movies.

Ann A (Readerann) | 335 comments Love WTP and love this task - kudos on your creativity!!

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Mrs Soule, you always manage to package your tasks so creatively. It makes me feel so mundane about mine. Anyway, it will be a pleasure to decide which character I want to tackle.

message 22: by Mrs.soule (last edited Mar 02, 2012 06:23PM) (new)

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 599 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Mrs Soule, you always manage to package your tasks so creatively. It makes me feel so mundane about mine. Anyway, it will be a pleasure to decide which character I want to tackle."

Awww, thanks! I sometimes worry that my tasks are selfish because really all I do is figure out what books I want to read and then come up with a task that lets me read them! ;-)

Valorie  | 711 comments Yay!! Love this task! Romance lovers UNITE!!

Dee (austhokie) | 4425 comments just checking if it says romance>>mm romance would you accept it...with the whole sub-genre thing? i'm looking to maybe use Cinder

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 599 comments Dee wrote: "just checking if it says romance>>mm romance would you accept it...with the whole sub-genre thing? i'm looking to maybe use Cinder"

Any romance is fine as long as "Romance" shows up in that first page of genre listings!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cinder (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Ellroy (other topics)
Georgette Heyer (other topics)